[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car status: fucked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170814_093335.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170814_093335.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Okay so I own a 2000 saturn sl1 and the check engine light just recently came on. So i took it in to see what had finally gone wrong with it and this list is what came out of that. I have to drive this car for two and a half hours to school at the end of the week. Is that ok? how much do you guys think this will cost? general thoughts?
>>
>>17717633
Check and fill your coolant. Then go back and have the fucking moron tell you which codes are current. No, buy your own reader for $20 on Amazon.
>>
>>17717633
I think that car is as fucked as a sjw womyn at a nazi dodge parade.
>>
>>17717651
At only 2,400 pounds, the Saturn SL series was the lightest sedan of its generation.
>>
>>17717657
about the same weight as an sjw womyn
>>
>>17717647
what do you make of the misfire?
>>
It is completely possible that you have failing sensors in places.

That being said, check your coolant and watch the engine temps.
>>
>>17717668
does it seem to be running rough at idle? i would suggest buying a code reader and clearing everything then seeing what comes back
>>
>>17717668
Misfire could be caused by overheating or EGR fuckery. Start with the overheating issue and go from there.
>>
>>17717681
it definitely runs rough when in park. as soon as i shift to drive though it quiets down a ton
>>
>>17717690
How's the oil look? Milkshake?
>>
>>17717714
Nah I had to fill the oil about 4 months ago (haven't driven too much since then) and i checked the other day and its dark but not bad.
>>
>>17717690
fill your vehicle with coolant, and get an oil change if you haven't in awhile. see if your problems persists. if it doesn't work.

change spark plugs and wires to solve the misfire.

about the temp and fan control

leave your vehicle in park with the hood open and see if the radiator fan kicks on after a while. if not then try to see if turning on the A/C makes it happen.

if this doesn't work you can get a workaround and put the control to said fan in your car. you will just have to remember to turn it on when you turn the car on.
>>
>>17717730
>see if the radiator fan kicks on after a while
>try to see if turning on the A/C makes it happen
I would try the AC first. The SL1 has two fans, one that is always on if the AC is on, and one that only goes on near red temp (too high!). The AC fan has always been enough.
>>
>>17717756
it's important that the other fan does in fact kick on. it is important that it works. if it does not then yes your car can overheat.

also don't worry too much about the emissions issues, some of those can be caused by loose fuel cap. egr could be a problem if you live somewhere you need emissions testing.
>>
>>17717781
one last thing before i go. when you're about empty gas tank fill with premium and add a fuel cleaner and see if that helps at all. (should just be a one time thing to help clean out any garbage)
>>
>>17717781
>it is important that it works
True, but I value the headgasket too much to ever let the engine get that hot again.
>>
thank you alll, i shall try these and i may or may not be back here again.
>>
Here's a summary

: New spark plugs, drain and fill coolant make sure to burp it, perhaps new engine/coolant(depending on make different name) temperature sensor, check fuses for AC system ie fans clutch etc

Your pcv system is probably fucked so look for cracks at pcv hose or replace valve if possible on this car
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.