[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Timing question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

Any input would be a big help. I'm swapping out the head gasket on my 98 Accord. While I was breaking the nut off the cramshaft pulley, I spun the pulley counterclockwise about 1/4, and the cramshaft spun along with it. To not fuck with timing, I'm just suspending the pulley with the belt still on it so I won't have to fuck with setting the timing. Turning the engine with the belt still on doesn't ruin anything, right? I guess I could spin the crankshaft a few times after I'm done to be completely sure?
>>
>>17716625
>suspending the pulley with the belt still on it
clarify
>>
Turning engine over manually with belt on will not damage anything. If everything was turning together, the car is still in time. If something slipped or popped a tooth, you should double check because it's probably not in time.
>>
>>17716625
>doing a timing belt with the engine not at TDC
>>
Fucking grab some nail polish or paint and paint yourself a few marks on the block and gears bud.

With the belt off you can spin em to watch em spin then easily line it back up.

There probably are a few reference points on the block and gears....

Your engine will be fine.
>>
>>17718115
I'm specifically trying to avoid the timing belt.

>>17717852
Keeping the belt tight and suspended with a bar and some wire while I remove the cylinder head to switch out the gasket.
>>
>>17718385
>While I remove the cylinder head
That timing belt is coming off the top sprocket whether you like it or not. Why not do the job at TDC so its easier to put the belt back on right?
>>
File: IMG_4345.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4345.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>17718397
I don't want to bother with tightening the belt or aligning the other marks. This way it's just going on just how I removed it. Here's a picture, if it helps. It's hanging tight and suspended in place just where it comes off the camshaft. Once I set the head back in, I'll slide the pulley right on, double check my marks, and be on my merry way.
>>
>>17718424
That will work fine so long as no slip ups. But if there is a problem you'll wish it was at TDC.
>>
>>17718441
While I'm here, I noticed on the cylinder head that on the bottom, where each cylinder has the cluster of four valves inside it, one of the four valves on cylinder 4 is pushed out. Is this because I took it apart while it wasnt TDC, or did a valve get knocked out?
>>
>>17718457
Only one valve is out = problem. The valves should move in pairs. That some of then are out is fine at TDC (except for cylinder no. 1 where they should be all in).
>>
File: IMG_4348.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4348.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>17718485
Cylinder 1, not 4, I was looking at it from the wrong side, it's an intake valve. Is this something I can still handle myself or am I about to have to replace this valve/have it repaired, then get them all adjusted, then set new belt.
>>
>>17718518
That don't look right. Post a photo from above showing cams.
>>
File: IMG_4349.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4349.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
>>17718534
This is on intake side by the way.
>>
>>17718575
Maybe it has a system that only works one intake valve at low rpm.
>>
>>17718584
I was gonna say, the car worked like a dream until it stopped starting, the plug wells got filled with coolant, and coolant started breaking into the engine. Replacing the head gasket is all well and good, but up front I don't think a single valve is supposed to be out like that. I also don't think how I turned the engine mattered.
>>
>>17718584
>only works one intake valve at low rpm.
OP, What does your research say about '98 Accords? Do they have something like this?
>>
>>17718635
I've done some surface level snooping with no luck. Are there any particular resources that might mention this?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.