[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is 4wd+manual transmission overkill? Seen a lot of people say

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: .jpg (69KB, 630x353px) Image search: [Google]
.jpg
69KB, 630x353px
Is 4wd+manual transmission overkill? Seen a lot of people say you don't need 4wd with manual.
>>
I mean, it's optimal to choose your gears when traveling rugged terrain. Especially on hills.
>>
>>17703582
>implying tragics don't have manual select first and second
>>
4WD was godly in winter where I lived when I had my Trailblazer but if we're not talking snow, ice and stupid inclines on a daily basis it's kinda useless.
Then again you can go in icy mountains with anything. My dad has a construction company so I've done my commute in winter with a fucking RWD van with 0 weight on the rear wheels. It's just way scarier (and fun) because you don't do a constant 30-40 up the hill but rather floor it on the evener parts and slide left to right like a motherfucker to the top.
>>
File: hgn2.jpg (91KB, 924x590px) Image search: [Google]
hgn2.jpg
91KB, 924x590px
>>17703594

My tragic has 4WD with a dedicated transfer case, AND fully selectable gear range from L, 2, 3, 4, and D

4hi,4Lo, and 2Hi

Keep in mind that this isn't the exact same thing as picking a gear and staying in it.

Selecing "3" will only stop the transmission from shifting PAST 3rd gear - it will still cycle through 1st and 2nd as needed. In a manual you can still pick the exact gear you want, and remain there as long as you want. Haven't seen an automatic that allows you to LOCK the gear, as this would stall the engine out and probably fuck up your torque converter real bad. Again, I haven't seen one - they might exist.

But generally, in manumatics and the like, you just pick the MAXIMUM gear you want, not the specific gear. The newer autos with "M" or "S" modes are for cucks anyhow - they won't allow you to destroy the engine, they'll emergency downshift/upshift to save the engine for you.
>>
File: FJ shifters.jpg (72KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
FJ shifters.jpg
72KB, 768x1024px
>>17703695
>>
>>17703673
minnesotafag so yeah it snows here
>>
>>17703556
>Is 4wd+manual transmission overkill?
Fucking Americans, I swear to God. I bet you think 4wd helps you stop on snow and ice.
>>
>>17703779
just a bastard child trying to buy a first car(truck) sir
>>
File: FJ .jpg (104KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
FJ .jpg
104KB, 1024x768px
>>17703705
Can't beat a real manual for shitty weather though.. and the fulltime AWD in the FJ 6mt is sweet.

Pictured, my wife's 6mt baby.
>>
>>17703556
Automatics are easier/better off road. If you don't live anywhere with off-roading or real winters you don't really need 4x4. I personally wouldn't own a truck without if after driving rwd vans and trucks in real winters. At least with 4x4 if you slide into a ditch you might have a slight chance of getting out, If it's rwd you better have a winch or a tow strap.

>>17703779
> I bet you think 4wd helps you stop on snow and ice.

What is engine braking? Something a shitty haldex awd system can't do.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.