[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grand Marquis

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

Any opinions on the Mercury Grand Marquis? I'm thinking about buying a used one from 2005.
>>
>>17691142
/comfy/
>>
>>17691142

Jesus, why?

Pros:

> Big, relatively comfy
> Cheap to maintain and plenty of parts around
> RWD

Cons:

> Slow
> Guzzles Gas
> Gutless v8
> Dogshit handling
> Objectively hideous
>>
>>17691162
Well there is this fagoot selling one with about 100,000 miles down the road from me and i am in desperate need of reliable transportation.
>>
I'm curious about how many miles you can typically get out of this thing, of course with regular maintenance.
>>
>>17691162
>> Objectively hideous
Nope.
>>
It's a Crown Victoria without the associated autism. 10/10 car, 0/10 at things that don't involve being a car.

>>17691162
>Slow
I see this get said all the time and people are seriously just parroting it at this point. "Slow" is "won't get up to highway speed safely," like a 3-pot Geo Metro or a Lada. It won't win races but it'll cruise all day at 75 without any hassle and you'll still feel it buck if you stomp the pedal (for older ones, anyway; '05 was the first year with drive by wire and I'm not sure how the throttle response is on those).
>Guzzles Gas
Only if it's got the HPP/P71 rear end. The stock 2.73s really wring out the gears, I average ~25 in mine which is no Civic but better than you'd expect.
>Gutless v8
Absolutely not, it's detuned but still has almost 300lb-ft of torque and will never feel like it's having trouble getting out of its own way or climbing hills or merging or etc. It's lazy, yeah, but not gutless.
>Dogshit handling
You're right about this one. 03 onwards handle a lot better, though, plus it's easy to hit up your local junkyard and find Interceptor/HPP parts to swap on (like the rear sway bar, which the cars normally lack entirely).
>Objectively hideous
Matter of opinion. IMO 92 through 03 all look great, it's when the Marquis had to start using more Crown Vic bodypanels it started going downhill. 03-05 look okay, even if they're more like Crown Vics with silver grills, and 06+ is hideous with those tiny, tiny headlights and grey trunklid.

Also, depending on area there might not be as many parts to find as you think. Do you know how fucking hard it is to find a junked car that still has the cupholder for an 03+?

>>17691189
Many.
>>
>>17691311
Do you think it would be as reliable as something like a Toyota, or a Honda? I've heard before that Ford cars are not meant to last. I don't know if thats just some bullshit or what.
>>
>>17691410
Depends entirely on how the previous owner treated it. In the long run, possibly not, but that's just a matter of car complexity- you could just as easily wind up with a Corolla with 250,000 miles that the owner beat to shit because "muh Japanese durability" that will throw a rod a week after you buy it.

> I've heard before that Ford cars are not meant to last.
Probably said by a GM fanboy. Panther bodies are kind of a weird mix- you get stuff like crappy plastic intake manifolds that can crack and require replacement (not as hard of a job as it sounds like), but then you get an engine and drivetrain that will otherwise last several hundred thousand miles with only routine fluid changes. Both the 2-valve 4.6 and the 4R70W are proven parts, Ford stuck 'em in pretty much everything they could from the 90's onward, and pretty much every other part of the car is relatively easy to replace (aside from the fuel pump which requires either a lift or cutting a hole in your trunk), plus it's body on frame so you can have all four doors and both your fenders rust away and you'll still be able to bolt on replacements and not have the structure of the car compromised.
>>
File: vic.jpg (3MB, 3072x2304px) Image search: [Google]
vic.jpg
3MB, 3072x2304px
>>17691410

There is a reason they were used as cop cars and taxis afterwards for so long. They are reliable, easy to work on, and cheap to maintain. There are a few common issues (Intake manifold, Front suspension is a wear item), they are easily fixable and aren't serious in the scheme of things. So the answer is yes, these cars will last as well as a Toyota or a Honda. When used as taxis and other service, they commonly racked up 200,000 to even 300,000 miles on the original powertrain. For reliable transportation, the Ford Panther platform is seriously hard to beat.

Source: I have a 1999 Crown Vic LX.
>>
>>17691162
>slow
Not if you follow the law like a decent driver.
>guzzles gas
Poorfag.
>Gutless V8
Boi racer.
>dogshit handling
Don't drive like a retard?
>objectively hideous
Bait.
>>
>>17692695
>>dogshit handling
>Don't drive like a retard?
Bait.
Handling and road manners are still important when driving completely reasonably.
>>
>>17691142
My DD is an 05 MGM and its been super reliable, got it with 79k, currently at 181k and aside from routine maintenance I have only done a starter, alternator, and water pump. As long as its been reasonably well maintained i would say go for it.
>>
File: 1496789417904.png (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1496789417904.png
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>17691142
Had two bad experiences. First one destroyed my old integra. Rear ended me doing 60 and I was stopped.
Second one was friends ex wife hit two lady's on the side of the road. Drove off and left them dying in the woods. I wasn't in the car but shit nigga.
They're fucking death traps and I have ptsd with these.
>>
>>17691142
doesnt have the taxi/cop stigma of the Crown Vic or late 90's+ Town Car.

Also available with power everything without havinf the same needless electronic shit and unique stuff that makes the Town Car a unique car to repair
>>
>>17691162
>> Slow
definitely not. lazy, yes, but not slow. you can hit 50 and still think you're doing 30 because the ride is smooth and the engine is strong. it wont do 0-60 in any record time, but isn't a slouch
>> Guzzles Gas
get a prius or other such cuckmobile if you care about that. 15/25 is still pretty good in my book.
>> Gutless v8
see: slow
it's lazy, but not gutless with it's massive torque output
>> Dogshit handling
it's a landyacht with (slightly above average) landyacht handling. it's part of the deal.
>> Objectively hideous
objectively wrong, unless you mean the 05+ model, for which I would agree.
>>
>>17695240
They're death traps to everyone around them.

Buy one and become death, destroyer of Hondas.
>>
File: town car.jpg (95KB, 800x320px) Image search: [Google]
town car.jpg
95KB, 800x320px
>>17695240
They are death traps because they are driven by people older than dirt who should not be driving, but can because we don't make retest old people to determine if they are too senile to drive or not.

Panther platform is like a magnet to the geriatric.
>>
>>17691142

I work for a Ford dealer... Post the VIN and I'll give you the original Monroney sticker and a Carfax report.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.