[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we talk about octane and additives?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1220.jpg (49KB, 348x348px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1220.jpg
49KB, 348x348px
My engine hits peak timing advancement with 94 octane, unfortunately in commiefornia the premium gas is 91 octane.

Recently I've supplemented 14.5 gal of 91 octane with 3.5 gal of 100 octane race fuel. The problem is that race fuel is expensive as fuck. Are there cheaper alternatives?

I've heard torco is really good but it contains manganese which can foul up your plugs, o2 sensors and cat.
>>
>>17687177

E85
>>
>>17687182
Wouldn't I have to tune the engine for e85 and modify the fuel pump + injectors?
>>
>>17687177
Do you have a tune? Otherwise a large portion of that race fuel is still going to waste despite mixing.

>>17687223
Only if your car doesn't support it. Also if your car doesn't support it, you would probably need the following

>injectors
>rail
>fuel lines
>fuel tank
>fuel pump
>tune

Not just a few, that shit eats stuff not built for it.
>>
>>17687264
I don't have a tune but the manufacturer has stated that peak horsepower is attained with 94 octane. I heard that you can achieve this by mixing race gas but if that's not true I won't waste my money anymore.

About the e85, yeah I'm not surprised,
it's mostly ethanol and I know that shit devours o-rings and rubber. The engine is an N52 so I don't think it supports it.
>>
>>17687177
a mix of E85 and 91 to hit 94 octane would work

you just need to make sure that your engine can handle a higher ethanol content
>>
>>17687320
>Shitty base BMW

You're autistic. Wasting money making that thing run on 94 octane. Turbo it and have it run on 91. It'll be 10 times better/faster.
>>
>>17687429
If its the 2.5 It's a 11:1 ratio engine. He's not gonna wanna run 91
>>
>>17687429
It's a 530i, reliable and fun, definitely not shitty

Driving an M car and getting your wallet raped on maintenance and gas while living in a big city where you can hardly enjoy it is pretty fucking shitty. Driving is one of the things I enjoy most, excuse me if I want the engine to run at its peak and combust more efficiently.

No, I'm not going to turbo it because that will make the car unreliable as fuck just look at the N54 for example. I think you really don't know shit about cars but you think you do, thanks but no thanks for the advice.
>>
>>17687458
Higher octane fuel is not more efficient. Higher octane means the more resistant to combusting. It's a necessary evil for high compression engines to use.
>>
>>17687471
By efficient I mean allowing the ecu to advance timing to its optimal setting given the proper octane rating gas that the manufacturer claims is necessary for peak performance.

I know the point of octane is that it resists pre-detonation, which is why some engines like higher octane and some like lower.
>>
>>17687485
Are you sure that's not RON rating? Because nowhere is 94 widely available in the US. Have you had your car Dyno tuned? They can stick an AFM sensor in your tail pipe and give you the exact timing advances you need for your area.
>>
>>17687182
You burn more gas and it means you're too poor to afford c16.
>>
>>17687504
Yes I'm sure because the ron rating is 98 iirc

No I haven't tried dyno tuning but that's a good suggestion thanks. I've heard 94 is available at sunoco stations but we don't have any here. I just wish we had 93 at least.
>>
>>17687177
You are retarded just use premium as is and call it a day
>>
>>17687547
ethanol is actually better due to the cooling effect it has on the cylinder walls
>>
>>17688338
Why am I retarded for wanting to get the advertised numbers out of my engine? I'll admit that mixing the race gas was a bit frivolous but it was a test to see if I would notice the difference and I did.

I just wanted to see if anyone on this board has some knowledge about octane boosters and fuel additives. Not a big deal if I just need to add a $10-20 bottle of booster in since a full tank lasts me nearly two weeks.
>>
>>17687177
Anything else than Octane 95 is going out of fashion here.
Nobody buys Octane 92. Because the less price does not make up for the decreased performance.
>>
>>17687455
My 10.7:1 ratio engine only uses 87 and loses power with 91.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.