[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A change of environment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

File: 1451886329541.png (75KB, 770x1208px) Image search: [Google]
1451886329541.png
75KB, 770x1208px
Hey br/os, can some of you guys who live in snowy areas give me some advice?

>be me
>from california
>moving to chicgo IL
>never had any experience owning a car in the snow
>can wrench and maintain car, but im on limited supplies since im moving out
>I drive fwd chevy malibu
>never driven cross country

Can anyone who live in snowy areas give me some advice? I've been researching chicagos snow and parking laws, and im pretty north so I'll be fine with that.

What do i do before the winter to maintain my car? I know the basic shit, like to change my radiator fluid and put snow tires on, but what else should i do?

>also

How is it driving cross country? I'll drive once in the summer and twice in the winter via I-80

>inb4 fwd meme
>inb4 GM is shit meme
>>
File: 1446226539907.jpg (473KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1446226539907.jpg
473KB, 1920x1080px
Make sure your wiper fluid is either drained or winter-compatible. Put gun oil in your locks.

Driving in the winter is fine, just keep your speed low, especially in corners and watch out when merging: the grooves of slush, ice and snow tires make on the road can be really slippery.
>>
>>17685158
That doesn't make sense to me, why do snow tires make the road slippery? Shouldn't they do the exact opposite?
>>
>>17685175
They're for driving through snow, not wet pavement/road that has snow nearby
>>
>also
When is the appropriate time to get snow tires??

When would be the cheapest? I imagine tire shops would rack up prices the closer winter gets)

When do i take them off? I dont know how unexpected snow falls, so I'm not sure when im in the clear

Whats the average price?
>>
File: Highway_20_Kuusamo_Finland.jpg (202KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
Highway_20_Kuusamo_Finland.jpg
202KB, 1024x681px
>>17685175
>why do snow tires make the road slippery

Tires get warm and cars are heavy, they push and melt the snow and ice into grooves of ice and slush on the road.
>>
>>17685200
>>17685210
Thanks, that explains it
>>
Why the fuck would you move here?

Anyways, rust will destroy your car if you aren't on top of keeping the salt off as much as possible.
Snow tires are recommended. As is the ability to cancel a slide, and knowing when to use it to your advantage.(it's gonna happen)
Watch for potholes.
Seriously watch for potholes.
Stay the fuck away from other drivers in the snow. It shouldn't have to be said but still.
If you can't see the road, drive slow.
>>
Drive as fast as you can on empty roads doing hektik skids because that shit's fun af unless you're a faggot that enjoys taking the slow lane in life
>>
File: 333.jpg (434KB, 1594x897px)
333.jpg
434KB, 1594x897px
Getting the underside of your car cleaned and proofed is a good way to keep it in good shape

Good winter tires are a "must"

Try out the limits of your car in the different terrains - remember that every single aspect of your cars performance has become worse

>>17685209
Before it snows/when the temperatures are 4c/40f or colder

Depends on your location

When the snow has cleared and there won't be any more, and the temperatures are warm enough so there wont be ice on the road in the morning

Depends entirely on your size and what brand & model you get
>>
File: 20170218_170822_resized.jpg (431KB, 1461x822px) Image search: [Google]
20170218_170822_resized.jpg
431KB, 1461x822px
>>17685158
>>17685175
>>17685200
This is more a problem in areas where it gets warm enough for the snow to be slushy, and also cold enough where the same snow and slush might freeze. If you live in a place with the temperatures constant below freezing during winter its not a problem. However, you will find that the roads which are covered in solid ice can be a tad slippery if only studless tires are run on it, as they tend to "polish" the ice where a studded tire rips into it and leave behind a surface with more friction
>>
>>17685358

I used to have a mile long drive down a hill to a right turn onto a 4 lane highway and I would fucking drift that shit if I had the green light when it snowed. It's so much fun, and I'm so surprised I didn't fucking die.
>>
Just get studded snow tires and go under the speed limit in obvious bad weather. Winter driving is easy as shit. It's only the retards going 100 thinking they can do anything that cause issues for people.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.