[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vinyl wrap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4533.jpg (217KB, 730x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4533.jpg
217KB, 730x500px
So a few months ago I hit a deer and fucked my bumper and hood. Luckily I found a replacement at the junkyard, but they are a different color and look shitty. I don't know anyone who does paint work, so I figured I could buy some gloss vinyl wrap and put that on instead. My question is, will this look right or is there a big different between paint and glossy vinyl? My car is black which is why I figure this could work, any other color would be hard to match with generic vinyl colors
>>
>>17681765
And to clarify, I mean only putting the vinyl on the hood and bumper, not the whole car
>>
>>17681765
i vinyl wrapped a roof and trunk and my friends thought i got a respray, but on a bumper it is susceptible to rock chips and more heat so it may warp and fade
>>
>>17681765
rattlecan the panels. it will last longer and cost less than vinyl.
>>
>>17681765
Vinyl and paint look different, compared to a properly cared for paint surface, vinyl is very flat and dull.
>>
>>17681765
Have you ever wrapped something that wasn't flat?
Because if you haven't and you don't like the idea of wrapping something to begin with, it will be one of the most miserable and anger-inducing experience of your life.

The hood will probably be the easy part, but then you'll have to wrap the whole bumper, with all it's edges, recesses, grilles, vents and all kinds of weird shapes with a single huge piece of vinyl.

Also, you get what you pay for. Shitty cheap vinyls will wrinkle like all fuck as soon as you start wrapping a mildly curved surface and the wrinkles will never go away, plus the vinyl itself will stretch a lot when you try to pull it away to clear some wrinkles, causing even more wrinkles to appear.
On the other hand, there are some expensive vinyls that have a million tiny holes in them (so bubbles will never be a problem), are thick and won't stretch even if you pull them out of the surface you are wrapping for a dozen times. Also expensive ones react predictably to heat guns even at temperatures as low as 50°C, allowing you to easily wrap around complex shapes without a problem, whereas shitty vinyl will either expand too much (becoming too thin and super wrinkly in the process) or outright melt.

It takes a lot of time and patience, plus a couple of tools you might not have at hand (heat gun, proper wrapping spatulas, small and big cutters, measuring tape, paper tape, just to name a few) and possibly even a second person to help you handle pieces of vinyl this big. I've seen experienced wrappers take half a day wrapping a race car bumper, in one piece, without even removing logos and badges and it came out amazing. If you have never done this, it could take you a day or more

If this looks to complex for you, I suggest you let a professional do the job or go for the good old rattlecans. If you put enough time and don't get the cheapest paint and coats you can find, even a rattlecan job can look decent.
>>
Why would you need to know someone to take it to a business that does that kind of work?
>>
If you sand and prime, you can get single stage rattlecan auto paint. If you dont spray it like a tard and buff it you can get fairly decent results.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.