[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Scared Mercedes owner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_2570.jpg (398KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2570.jpg
398KB, 1080x1080px
So I picked up a sparkly clean $4900 1 owner 2003 e500 (with all recalls and fully replaced air suspension) a couple weeks ago, and I'm really loving it. The thing can really scoot, handle, and the level of fit and finish in the interior is top notch. Also, everything works other than the power head rest for the drivers seat, and on paper it should be very reliable which is lovely. Anyway, I have some questions I'm hoping you all can answer for me.

1. I really like driving with the suspension raised up because it gives the car magic carpet or fluffy cloud ride quality, so I was wondering if doing so might hurt the longevity of the suspension? I raise it up on long cruises and lower it when I feel like doing some spirited driving, which brings my to my next question

2. Is it ok to switch between suspension settings whenever I want? I constantly switch between regular, sport and sport 2 depending on what kind of driving I feel like doing

3. How careful do I need to be with this engine?
I know these motors can be very dependable and rack up lots of miles, but I have a bit of a lead foot and I'm not sure how well they withstand being pushed to anywhere from 3.5k to 5.5k RPM on an almost daily basis, so if someone could answer that it would be great.
4. Does the car box feel a bit clunky in the city?

It's not too bad, but kind seems to get a little confused around town sometimes so I was wondering if this was a cause for concern

5. Are there any features on this car I probably don't know about ? Things I can access that I probably don't know about etc ?
>>
>>17681128
This thing is gonna blow its water pump, then its head gasket, then some random wiring harness that you won't be able to find for months, then something will randomly happen to the air suspension again.

Each will either be at least $1k starting price just for parts or take you so long in labor that you won't be driving it much anyway.

Sell it quick and get a Lexus GS.
>>
File: CLK.jpg (4MB, 4928x3264px) Image search: [Google]
CLK.jpg
4MB, 4928x3264px
Multiple time Benz owner here. I would say there's not much need to worry.

1. I doubt you're doing much, if any, harm by using the adjustable suspension. It was made to be adjustable, after all. Granted any sort of action with the car is technically "wear", but I don't see anything wrong.

2. Ought to be fine, yeah. I imagine if the car's made it that far it won't be crapping out anytime soon. That being said: if you're genuinely concerned you can just limit the amount of time you let yourself change the suspension in a given period. Say only a few shifts a week?

3. Not particularly, assuming it's been properly maintained and has had no major damage to it. I have an '04 C240 with 100k+ miles I hold at ~4.5k rpm for miles on end for long highway runs. Thing still runs flawlessly today.

I also have an '09 CLK550 and it treats me well with fun weekend drives and occasional errands pushing it to near redline often.

That being said I try to have good upkeep with these cars, as well as do small things like make sure they're warmed up before hitting high rpm's.

These things have been bullet-proof in my experience. I'm sure people have had their fair share of bad experiences, a la >>17681925, but I've probably put less than $2k on (non-scheduled) maintenance on both cars throughout my entire ownership. And yes, I purchased both brand new.

4. Yep. The transmissions on this era Benz can be clunky at consistently slow speeds. Especially with the higher trim levels you tend to get occasional jerks when the car holds a low gear in traffic or city crawling.

5. That's something for you to find I guess. Just scour the owner's manual or online forums. You never know what you can learn in just some afternoon free time.

Good luck, my man. That car should serve you well.
>>
>>17681128
You'll be fine.
>>
>>17681925
At least shill a decent car.
>>
>>17681128
I've learned from having a e65 745i that it depends on the amount of owners and neglect. BMWfags won't want to here this but Mercedes are better build than BMW's. As long as you let the engine heat up you will have no problem with the engine from revving it. The M113 are pretty reliable in stock form. Gearboxes can be pretty slow and date the car but that's just because automatics slow down over time.
>>
>>17683595
>Drives one neglected 7 Series he bought off of Craigslist and bases his entire opinion of one brand over another off of his poor purchase.
Righto.
>>
>>17681925
What a fucking fag
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.