[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car Audio General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: kenwood.jpg (88KB, 800x638px) Image search: [Google]
kenwood.jpg
88KB, 800x638px
Feel free to post car audio questions and advice here.

I want to start upgrading the sound system in my aw11 mr2 now that I have it running pretty smooth. Right now it's basically just disintegrated paper as far as speakers are concerned. Anyway the thing is that the speaker holes can only fit 4" speakers. Is that too small to not be shit or would it be best to make room in the door panels? Also if I want to just start off with two speakers for the mids/highs before I invest in a subwoofer what should I go for? Should I go component or coaxial? I'd like to spend less than 60 dollars on the speakers alone right now just so I have something listenable that I can add to as I get other things done. Basically I don't want to have to rebuy the speakers later.
>>
You get what you pay for
4 inches can sound good, especially when amplified
Amplify all your speakers
Component for front stage, coaxial for rears
>>
File: kfcc1055s_3.png (289KB, 860x533px) Image search: [Google]
kfcc1055s_3.png
289KB, 860x533px
Anybody knows of a reasonably priced 170mm pair with mounting tabs like pic related?

My doors have some stupid plastic bracket which interfer with a regular mounting ring like in OP's pic.
>>
File: 20170606_143506_resized_1.jpg (312KB, 1268x713px) Image search: [Google]
20170606_143506_resized_1.jpg
312KB, 1268x713px
If you can make room for bigger stuff then I'd say its definetely worth it. If you can get it up to 6 or 6.5 you'll have a big increase in fidelity and power, and you will also have a lot more options to chose from when buying

Now, as for subwoofer... I will probably get shit on for saying this, but a flat active sub that fits under a seat is a great additiona. They're not expensive, take up pretty much no space and give you a very direct bass. You will not get the power or depth that you'll get from a proper big subwoofer with an external amp and so on, but for the interior of a car those things are pretty much always overkill unless your only goal in life is playing hardbass. You'll also have a lot of people putting big subwoofers in the trunks of their sedans, making the bass sound more like a very irritated badger trying to get out of said trunk, armed with a rubber mallet

Flat sub works great if you're looking for a good amount of power and depth, while also being affordable and small in size
>>
>>17679379
Now, Benz
when you say flat sub, do you mean the flat component subs or an all-in-one amplified flat sub? The component ones can sound loud and good like the regular ones like the MTX ones, but the only powered all-in-one I could recommend would be the Infinity/JBL/Harmon boxes called BASSlink
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (129KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
129KB, 1920x1080px
>>17679398
The all-in-one type. Sure, its not what an audiophiliac want, and its not a perfect subwoofer - but its a great compromise for added power and depth to your music, while stealing just about none of your interior space

I have the Alpine PWE-V80, and I'd say I am very satisfied with it. You can tell that its not a "proper" subwoofer, but I'm also not going to spend large amounts of money trying to perfect the audio system inside of what is a very terrible and limited environment for acoustics
>>
>>17679421
It's only terrible if you don't take the proper steps like dampening the cab of your truck, once that's out of the way it doesn't take much to sound amazing, especially considering you're right in front of the speakers
>>
File: wgsqv5[1].jpg (481KB, 1599x1063px) Image search: [Google]
wgsqv5[1].jpg
481KB, 1599x1063px
>>17677808
i am an absolute retard when it comes to car sound systems

i would like to get some nice sound in my quite small slk from 1998, as far as i am informed, i can replace the original parts and then fit 2 subwoofers behind each seat.. OR one into the footroom of the passenger seat, which one would be better? to me, the 2nd option sounds absolutely retarded but aparently it is very common for my car

pic related, positioned behind the seats (seats removed)
>>
>>17679431
Thats what I am on about; does he want to take those extra steps, does he feel like it'd be worth it? Hell, for him maybe thats exactly what he wants.

I do agree with you; sound dampening does fucking wonders. I've helped a friend do an extensive job with his 200SX, and the difference was mind boggling. $300 worth of sound proofing plates & rags in the dashboard, under the carpet, behind the rear seats, inside the doors and whatnot

And I'm saying terrible as in terrible compared to a square living room with much more room for the air to move around, flat walls and whatnot. I could probably do a lot to improve my truck in terms of sound dampening and whatnot, but as its already a pretty noisy thing with its diesel engine, soon to come 35" mud terrains, tools in the back and me pretty much always driving on gravel roads or worse I'm afraid it'd be a bit of a waste

"Fun" fact; the same mate with the 200SX spent a good $1200 or so improving the audio system of the same car - and all of the music played comes from the AUX cable, which comes from his phone, which is playing low-res YouTube-ripped music...
>mfw
>>
>>17679445
What are those, 8" woofers? If you were going to go that route I would get 10" square Kickers like the L5 series
>>
>tfw you want to replace your head unit to add AUX or bluetooth but all aftermarket units looks like ass
How expensive are Android Auto head units?
>>
>>17679680
They usually start at around $350
>>
>>17679690
So $500 canuck bux plus another $200 for the super special double DIN kit because German Engineering or something

End me
>>
>>17679529
those aren't mine, baka
>>
>>17679496
the only real issue I see here is the low-res YouTube rips
>>
>>17679379
There is nothing wrong with a low profile/under the seat subwoofer, aside from output, of course. You're not going to rattle the car with low frequency bass waves, but you will feel a bit of the bass, and it's obviously better than nothing.

I will say though that those types of subs are really only for those with limited space, I.E. miatafags/truckfags. If you want proper bass, then a small 10 at 300 watts will be much, MUCH better.
>>
I just bought a car with an Alpine sound system. It says "DC Error" when I try to play anything, and there's no audio. I don't have a multimeter to check the wires. Anything I can do without a multimeter to fix it?
>>
>>17680805
If you're too cheap to buy a multimeter to check this, then you really don't have the capabilities to fix what is really causing this, which is most likely shoddy wire work and ground.

Take it to a shop, and slide a Grant their way.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.