[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jeep General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0678 2.jpg (173KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0678 2.jpg
173KB, 700x525px
Well, /o/ I finally did it. After driving the same shitbox since high school, I've finally got myself a 2000 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport.

I know a lot of people hate Jeeps, and people are gonna say I'm making a bad purchase, but I've grown up loving Jeeps, especially the XJ. It even helps because my best friend has an XJ as well, and we can finally go on trails together in our own Jeeps.

The one I'm buying is relatively stock, except for a completely rebuilt engine, some frame supports, and a few other things here and there. There's no lift on it, and it's got stock sized tires. I plan on putting a 3.5" lift on it, running 31/10.50/15 BFG KO2 tires, trading out the wheels for some steel wheels, I'll be welding up my own roof rack, front and rear bumper. I'm excited to finally own a vehicle that I'm proud of owning, something that will be fun to work on.

I also plan on removing the leaf springs in the rears, any tips on that? My best friend did that and he said his XJ is way better now.

>Pic semi-related, not actual Jeep I'm getting but very similar
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Don't put lifts on it, it will put premature wear on the bearings and drive shaft. Transmissions aren't meant to work at an angle, so you'll have problems with that too.

Stock XJ's do amazing without lift. Just make sure you have good suspension and lockers and you'll be set for trails.

>'04 Wrangler TJ
>'94 Grand Cherokee
>>
>>17674601
>premature wear on the bearings and drive shaft. Transmissions aren't supposed to work at an angle
What the hell are you talking about? Shim the rear axle and none of that changes. No bearings have ANY additional wear on them. The transmission angle stays exactly the same, and the drive shaft is a metal tube which literally cannot get worn out.
If transmissions aren't designed to work at an angle like you say, how can vehicles go up / down hills without failing?

Premature failures occur when you lift and don't get an alignment / shim the rear axle. For an '00 XJ, lifting over 2 - 3" will require a SYE and a double cardan rear shaft. Might as well get adjustable control arms for the front, and an extended brake line for the rear axle.
>>
>>17674532
>>17674634
Also me.
Removing the leaf springs? Those are your entire rear suspension. You can't just remove them. You can convert to four-link but it requires extensive fabrication work that you don't know how to do if you are asking questions like that.

Also, what do you mean by a "frame support"?
Xj's don't have a separate frame, they're unibody.

Does it still have the 0331 head, or did they replace it when the motor was rebuilt?
>>
>>17674601
I'm going to be doing some overlanding with my XJ. The trails I take it on will demand ground clearance. I'm going to be replacing the rear axle with an 8.8 Just because my best friend and his dad have done 3 swaps using the 8.8 and know exactly how it goes, and the front with a 44.
>>
>>17674650
I'm not too sure, I never thought of removing the rear leaf springs, but my best buddy did it on his XJ.

I didn't mean to put frame support, my bad, I meant rock sliders.

It's still the 0331 pre cat. The previous owner blew a head gasket, so the guy I'm buying it off of did an entire rebuild.
>>
>>17674670
Your best buddy either converted to rear coils (which would be a 4 link setup) or he's full of shit, because you can't just "remove" the leafs.

The previous owner most likely didn't blow the head gasket. The 0331 head likely cracked. Which is why I asked. If you don't know of that issue, then a cracked head can seem like a blown head gasket, although it isn't. This only applies to 00-01's, because 99 and older had better head castings.
They made an 0331 head which fixed this issue, but it was only on TJs and possibly WJs. That head is often called an 0331 TUPY head.
>>
>>17674532
r u habibi?
>>
>>17674650
Although XJ's are unibody, you can still stiffen the frame rails with supports to make them less prone to flexing, which is an issue with early unibody designs (ie, XJ's and old mustangs)
>>
>>17675040
Sure, i know that frame stiffeners exist, but a stock XJ has no reason to have them. Unless the unibody is rusted / damaged, it's plenty strong enough for stock applications.
>>
>>17674824
hneby
>>
>>17675057
Like OP said, he's going to do some overlanding/rock crawling, so not really stock application.
>>
>>17675059
fdo
>>
>>17675078
No, but the truck is bone stock right now. We're arguing semantics, considering it doesn't even have stiffeners. OP mistyped when he meant side steps.
>>
Are wheel spacers worth it?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.