[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WAT Engineering Dept

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_8117.jpg (67KB, 697x833px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8117.jpg
67KB, 697x833px
I was just mowing my lawn and had a genious Idea-

So we all know that the turbocharged econoboxes on the road today are tarbo'd because it allows that 1.6L engine to produce the power of a small engine at lower RPMs and be efficient, but at higher RPMs the turbo kicks in and will give it the power of a larger engine (while using more fuel than a N/A engine of the same size). That way they can get 200hp and 220ft-lbs at higher engine speeds while still claiming 35mph on the highway at low RPMs.

Instead of this, I look at my leaf blower. Why not hook an "electric supercharger" up to the engine so it's basically NA all the time until the driver hits a certain throttle limit and the blower is engaged and powered by the electrical system of the car? So the 1.6L engine will have the power and fuel economy as the same engine naturally aspirated, but then it turns into a supercharged-type engine when the driver applies ~70% throttle and the computers add more fuel with the extra air.

Electric motors are reliable, efficient, and simple, and it would be like the simplicity of a supercharged system but without many of the drawbacks of a typical turbocharged or supercharged engine. There wouldn't even really be "turbo lag" because even at idle, if the driver hits the gas pedal to 100%, the electric blower could turn on and produce lots of boost almost immediately.

Also manuél CVT when? Just make it a handle like a boat or plane throttle where the driver has an infinite number of gear ratios to slide through.
>>
File: IMG_8133.jpg (599KB, 4332x2300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8133.jpg
599KB, 4332x2300px
>>17674223
>tl;dr:
Strap an electric leaf blower to the air intake, but only turn it on when you want the power and not fuel economy
>>
>>17674223
>>17674242
Mercedes developed a real electric high voltage supercharger to compensate the lag of a turbo
Mercedes developed a real electric high voltage turbocharger with 0 lag to compensate the lag of a normal turbo
>>
>>17674223
>>17674242
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGWgvJN1_8
Vid related.
Not one, but two electric leaf blowers nets zero hp gained.
There is a working electric S/C, though.
Google Phantom Full Throttle Electric Supercharger...
There are issues... You keed aux batteries and the thing draws 5 KW @ 24v... So it eats the batteries in a big fucking hurry.
>>
>>17674324
copy paste fuckup, i meant audi developed the electric turbo
>>
>>17674328
Yeah I thought about the voltage thing, but my theory is you would use the turbo only when you hit something like 70%-80% throttle.

There have been all sorts of anti-lag systems devoloped. But I would like to try it where the blower doesn't run at all and it's naturally aspirated with the intake air going around the blower until you really hit the gas.

There are some cool anti-lag systems tho. Audi did the electric one and I think Volvo was experimenting with a compressed air system to help spool the turbo up faster at low RPM. And then it might have been Fiat/Alfa that did one where they mess with the valve timing and running really rich to spool the turbo too.
>>
>>17674575
>nitrous just as a compressed gas injected right before the turbo to spool it
>>
>>17674223
Are you insisting that the exhaust gases get constantly pumped back into the engine with that pic?
>>
>>17674555
>But I would like to try it where the blower doesn't run at all and it's naturally aspirated with the intake air going around the blower until you really hit the gas.
That's literally exactly how the Phantom works.
Not being a dick, but that's why I suggested you google it.
The blower is off and the aux batteries are charging when you're at part throttle.
>>17674575
Yes, this is better in all cases.
>>17674673
No, you inject it at the throttle body, and the instant increase in EGT and exhaust gas mass flow spools the turbo.
That's how it works.
>>17674840
It's a meme, and was probably intended as a joke.
>>
>>17674892
>>But I would like to try it where the blower doesn't run at all and it's naturally aspirated with the intake air going around the blower until you really hit the gas.
>That's literally exactly how the Phantom works.
That, and I forgot to add, the centrifugal blower isn't a restriction at part throttle, so there's no need to duct around it, air flows through it just fine. Ducting around it adds unnecessary complexity and additional points of failure.
>>
>>17674892

>No, you inject it at the throttle body

Nuh-uh. You inject it directly before the turbo along with more fuel via auxiliary injectors, fired by specialized spark plugs, because who wants a denser air charge going into their intake anyway? I just want to hear the turbo whistle.
>>
>>17674223
I would think the power generated from the electric supercharger would equal the power taken from the source that generated it. It would just be transferred to a different use... you'd probably need another battery and higher capacity alternator to run it. Wouldn't the power drain negate the power generated? The only reason turbos work is because you're using what would otherwise be a waste product, and superchargers add a pulley to the belt
>>
>>17674926

>what is KERS

Storing energy to use at a later time for increased acceleration when it's needed is more or less ideal. You don't need engine power under braking, so why not increase engine braking force, so you use less brakes, and at the same time use it to give you boost when you exit the corner?
>>
>>17674944
It's ingenious, very much agree. And it's again making use of a waste product and transferring energy normally lost into something usable. My only problem with brake regeneration is that it works great at the track cuz a lot is generated by heavy braking hard and often but in normal road driving there wouldn't be enough created to power an electric supercharger that kicks in every time you stray above 3k rpm
>>
>>17674926
This >>17674944

But mostly I was thinking how often are you really using 80%+ throttle? The main thing would be so you can get that 200HP rating when you really step on it, but the other 99% of the time it's a 35mph 1.6L econobox.

>>17674892
The nitrous right before the turbo was a joke.
>>
>>17675131
>But mostly I was thinking how often are you really using 80%+ throttle?
Not often, the idea is sound
>The main thing would be so you can get that 200HP rating when you really step on it, but the other 99% of the time it's a 35mph 1.6L econobox.
Yes, this theoretical system exists, works exactly the way you described, is already available as a (relatively) inexpensive bolt-on kit, and has been both posted and explained already...
>The nitrous right before the turbo was a joke.
Figured it might be, but I also figured I'd explain how people actually use nitrous to assist turbo spool, in case you (or anyone else) were curious.
>>17674925
>I would think...
Your supposition has been addressed already.
>you'd probably need another battery
Yes, more than one
> higher capacity alternator
Not necessary. That's what the batteries are for. A bigger alternator could lower the charge time and increase the available duty cycle, but then you'd be heat-limited rather than charge-limited, and you'd have to re-engineer the whole kit.
>Wouldn't the power drain negate the power generated?
No. It thermodynamics worked this way, then normal belt-driven superchargers wouldn't work either. The conversion loss is not significant.
That said, the electric version does have additional conversion loss, which is why you only use it in low or partial duty cycle applications. A belt driven SC is significantly more practical and efficient in applications which require continuous operation, or even high duty cycle.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.