[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOTT Are 1970s full size Lincolns and Caddies /o/ approved?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 65

File: 1976 Lincoln Continental08.jpg (695KB, 2199x1692px) Image search: [Google]
1976 Lincoln Continental08.jpg
695KB, 2199x1692px
QTDDTOTT

Are 1970s full size Lincolns and Caddies /o/ approved?
>>
Do title transfers across states cost more/require more paperwork?
>>
File: wagoneer.jpg (68KB, 808x352px) Image search: [Google]
wagoneer.jpg
68KB, 808x352px
>>17665191

I like em.

My question: How hard is it really to keep a classic car on the road. Not terribly old, I'm just thinking of like a 30 year old car. If you daily drive a 30 year old car, are you working on your car every week? Every month? Can you just replace everything that degrades with age and have it be as reliable as ever? I don't need answers to the specific questions, just looking for the general consensus of someone who drives older cars.
>>
>>17665228
yes
>>
I love how they look and drive, like floating road boats, but they'd be nicer with more modern engines and modern features. Their modern equivalents from Buick or Lincoln or whatever just look like exclusively cars for pensioners.
>>
>>17665249
Thanks
>>
>>17665191

>Landyacht

Definitely American, so it is /o/ approved.

Lincoln and Caddies need to go back to look at its successful history and mimic them.
>>
>>17665234
Honestly, depends on how well they were maintained before hand, and if you do it as a hobby or just for a point a-to-b. It can get expensive, or catch you off-guard. Some examples of non-scheduled maintenance below:

92 Jeep Cherokee (point a-to-b)
Bought at 120k miles 15 years ago for $3,000, now has 250k
Replaced:
Lifters at 180k miles (120$)
Entire rear axle (with junkyard unit) at 210k, installed new wheel bearings (250$)
Rear and front springs, control arms, ball joints, tie rods ($650)
PVC/vacuum lines at 230k (50$)
Electric radiator fan at 250k ($50)

84 Chevy K20 with 6.2 Diesel
Bought for $1900 as a work truck for firewood and general purpose. Unknown mileage, but have put about 20k miles on it in the past 3 years.
Rebuilt:
Transmission (700r4) with new oil cooler, ($800)
About a half dozen fuel filter sets because the tanks are dirty as fug (about $300)
Oil cooler lines ($70)

76 Jeep CJ7 (Toy, mileage irrelevant, but have put probably 40K or so on it) Paid about $5000, have had it for about 10 years as a project.
Engine swap from I6 to v8 ($500, including engine)
Replaced gas tank ($200)
Redid a ton of wiring ($150)
Transmission swap ($600)
Rebuilt transfercase and transmission rebuild ($600)
New radiator and electric cooling fans ($500)
Dana 44 front end swap and rebuild ($800)
Dana 60 rear end swap ($2000, long story on that one)
Replace drivelines ($200)
Half cab and doors, including door rebuild ($800)
Soft top ($800)
Two paint jobs ($600)
Wrangler body swap ($1200)

The Cherokee has been dead-stone reliable. The rear axle and ball joints/tie rods were the only thing absolutely required to keep it moving safely. I touch under the hood only for oil changes. The K20 is maintenance heavy as balls, and though reliable will always require weekly tinkering if daily driven. The CJ7 is a toy, and is expensive as balls and needs work if driven more than 100 miles.

All three hemorrhage oil, and require at least a quart between changes.
>>
>>17665531

Engine and trans issues can happen to newer vehicles too, though. I figure it would be easy enough to find older vehicles with good engines and transmissions, it's the little things that I'm worried about. Although for your experiences it doesn't look bad at all. My 1999 Crown Vic has needed almost as much stuff fixed as your 92.

I might consider getting an older vehicle when I can afford it. I could keep my Crown Vic as a second car. I really love the look of older vehicles.
>>
>>17665228
Going to depend on the State.

Indiana for instance requires that the VIN be recorded by either a Trooper or a BMV representative at a BMV branch. It's a silly little bit of bureaucratic bs that does nothing but be a minor speed bump in interstate commerce, yet still has to be done. You'll have to check your states requirements on title transfers to be sure.
>>
>>17665234
The thing about old cars is that the owner has to be Chief Engineer and lead mechanic because no shop has the time or patience to deal with one. If you don't have a place you can work on it, or the time to do so, then you probably shouldn't go down that path.

Also, parts are bit of a sticky point in that quality sucks. Everything is made in China now and replacement parts aren't watched all that closely. In general New, Old Stock is best where it can be gotten but very little other replacement parts will have any kind of durability.
>>
>>17665603
My experiences have been great. Preventative maintenance is key. The only time I have ever been stranded was this year with the K20's oil cooler lines kissed the firewall and ruptured. About at 3 hour fix on the side of the road, and I was good to go.

I always hear about how "Oh the transmission/engine/rear end/etc. blew up and I had no idea!" That's bullshit; your car will always let you know before hand (usually thousands of miles beforehand) before something is about to give.

I also get endless shit from friends about how I should just go buy a new car. But the simple fact is that the sum of the costs of my examples combined is still less than a brand new SUV. I have also gained the skill set, tools, and understand to do all of the work on my own. Pretty satisfying knowing that.
>>
From a pure theoretical view, is staying in drive and holding the break bad for the gearbox?
>>
>>17665812
I mean, it's putting strain on the torque converter, but otherwise no. It's designed for doing that, more or less.
>>
File: 6252017201330.jpg (576KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
6252017201330.jpg
576KB, 1920x1440px
>>17665234
Define classic.

The answer to that question will almost always be "it depends". Different vehicles will have differing levels of care required. Pic related. You'd have to go well out of your way to fuck up the engine in this truck. The trans is also borderline unkillable. It's slow as shit and gets about 14 mpg on a good day, But it never let me Down. That's not to say it doesn't need some minor thing fixed every now and again, but it's always minor shit. Cracked fuel line here, old turn signal relay there, Etc. Nice thing is most old car problems usually only require the knowledge of basic hand tools and some common sense.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1280x853px
>>17665191
Mazda6 Touring Manual 14k
Fiesta ST 2016 15k

Which one? It will be my DD.
>>
>>17666254
Well mazda6 is a practical sedan and the fiesta st is a hot hatch. Either will be fine but it's personal preference.
>>
>>17665191
why does it matter what bus riders think
>>
>>17666254
Fiesta because if I see that Mazda 6 anywhere near me I swear I'll throw acid on it
>>
>>17666309
Why whats wrong with the mazda
>>
File: 1483797246831.jpg (28KB, 655x434px) Image search: [Google]
1483797246831.jpg
28KB, 655x434px
>$9 daily max without validation
does this mean i can use their parking garage all day and not enter their stores for $9?
>>
This is a dumb question but is there any actual way to get a quote on quote """illegal""" car exempt?

I absolutely would love to own an RX-7 Spirit R, problem is, I live in the states where a 60s to 80s diesel/petrol car can run catless, straightpiped and be perfectly a-okay, yet I can't own a car that is going to produce less emissions than half the fucking vehicles we have here.
>>
>wanting to drive cars from when they still sat on frame and suspension technology from the '50s and couldn't turn at all, but were already in the era of crippling emissions equipment and 55 mph speed limits
It'll be a pain to take any (ANY) corner in these, it'll be a pain to go over 65 in these, and they'll drink almost as much as a semi truck in the process. Absolute hunks of crap.

If you want a luxobarge with overstuffed lounge chairs, get one from the '90s. Fuel economy is still less than ideal but better, they cruise at higher speeds and they're far more maintenance free and daily driveable.
>>
>>17666780
My only option seems to be writing a detailed letter to Mazda, in asking for them to write a formal letter stating that the Spirit R is something incredibly similar to something I could legally buy over here in the states. If possible, this could sort out any legal bullshit, and only require me to spend a much lower amount to converting a few things like the speedometer from km to miles.
>>
File: lincoln-town-car-1997-7.jpg (435KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
lincoln-town-car-1997-7.jpg
435KB, 1024x768px
>>17666800
>>
>>17666816
Actually in case of Lincoln the '00s as well. These were solid Panther platform cars all around while Cadillac made some questionable engineering and styling decisions in the '00s.
>>
>>17666639
Yes
>>
>>17665868

Wow, what a beauty!
>>
>>17666319
Absolutely nothing, it does its purpose pretty well, while looking better than almost anything in its class.
>>
>>17666807
>get a regular rx7
>convert it into Spirit R

Problem solved
>>
>>17667011
But it isn't. It's the same exact shit as taking a WRX and converting it into a WRX STi. It isn't an STi no matter how much money you pump into it. That VIN is always going to tell the truth.

The point of getting an RX-7 Spirit R is to have that feeling of knowing you own one of 1,500 ever produced. Anyone could take an RX-7 FD3S and "convert" it to a Spirit R, but it won't come close to being the same.
>>
I'm trying to buy a fucking car from this kid but he doesn't return texts, why list your fucking car if you aren't trying to fucking sell?
>wat time tmrw could u come see
I respond with
>I could catch a ride and be back in town by the afternoon
Radio silence, follow up with
>So what time tomorrow works for you?
More silence, at least fucking tell someone you've got the fucking thing sold or whatever, don't be a God damn phone beta.

Just had to vent. Should I message this retard back or just give up? He's got a specific car that I want.
>>
File: IMG_2554.jpg (49KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2554.jpg
49KB, 540x304px
Anyone got any ideas on what this noise is? It goes away when I push in the clutch, but is there otherwise. It doesn't seem to cause any performance issues, but it bugs the hell out of me. I wanna say it's the throwout bearing, but fuck me I don't want to have to take the tranny off after just putting it on from a tranny swap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luPC8voWHV0
>>
>>17667472
Did this start happening before or after the tranny swap?

Could be the actual clutch plate, could be warped, or damaged. Cause when you press the clutch the plate loses contact with the flywheel. And why didn't inspect/replace clutch components when you were going the tranny swap?
>>
>>17665290
Agreed
>>
File: 1466055901535.jpg (100KB, 716x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466055901535.jpg
100KB, 716x720px
>>17668181
2016 Corolla and 2017 Elantra both 13k
>>
Is there no inbetween with engine swaps?

Do I just jump into a swap for my first time having no experience with swaps whatsoever?
>>
>>17668289
No? Are you cartarded or something?
>>
>>17668289
Some engine swaps are easier than others. For example you can sometimes drop in engines from the same manufacturer with only a few wiring changes.
>>
>>17667472

>>17667678
I'm with this anon, my clutch disk warped and started making noise. Not like in your video, but I suspect due to different clutch designs, you can have different noises.

>>17668289
you could try to swap in something electrical and have to properly splice wires. A lot of aftermarket swap companies sell whole wiring harnesses like say to go from a b series honda to a k series. ECU, wiring harness, engine+trans, all the related acessories, motor mounts made for the swapped engine and a tune. I "think" that's all you need. a swap can be done for a little as 500-1000$ or you can buy a full premade kit that's tuned and comes with everything you need, but that's usually around several grand.
>>
What's a DDable 4x4 that isn't too big? Like a geo tracker maybe? Something from subaru possibly? F150? I dunno, need guidance. Purpose of the vehicle would be to take my supra off the road so u can work on it, but also to take me on trips to and from lakes, campsites and just generally places where I've gotten other cars stuck. 5 speed a plus.
>>
>>17669102
go for a v6 tacoma with 4x4, a little pricey but it's a reliable DD and does well with a bit of light offroading
>>
File: IMG_1123.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1123.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Question here:

What the FUCK do i do if the battery terminal is corroded away to shit? I cant get that bolt undone so im assuming i need to replace the entire cable. Scion TC '07 btw.
>>
>>17669163
Heat the bitch up with a propane burner, then do the bolt
>>
>>17669147
I found one almost immediately in my area. How hard is a cracked frame to fix?
>>
>>17669102
Get a Taco like the other guy said or look for a Ranger
>>
>>17669199
buy one clean title that isnt broken, the newer the better. I'd look for a 4x4 with a stick, but it could be rare and really expensive. Maybe 10k+?

A cracked frame isn't worth your time or effort.
>>
>>17669163
clean it off with baking soda and get a wire wheel and wire brush in there to shine it all up then clean your terminals with a terminal cleaner and spray the red anti corrosion spray on it and you're done.
>>
>>17669256
I might end up with a payment, highest I can go now is 4500. Maybe a beater in the meantime while I shore up some funds. I hate driving beater cars though, so uncool.
>>
>>17669298
>caring what other people think
>>
I'm looking for a new Grand Cheroke, preferably one with a V8. Should I go for a WJ or WK?
>>
File: wBu3JB0.jpg (1MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
wBu3JB0.jpg
1MB, 3024x4032px
I am trying to troubleshoot my brother's 2006 Pontiac G6 v6. It has a constant cylinder #1 misfire which started after he drove through a puddle on a rainy day. The plugs have been swapped out. The coils have been swapped out. The Injectors were swapped out. And I still am nowhere closer to identifying the source of the misfire. My mechanic buddy recommended to do a compression test next, which I will do tomorrow with the test kit I rented from Oriely's. Any other idea? I am dumbfounded.
>>
File: 1497317313645.jpg (830KB, 2125x2834px) Image search: [Google]
1497317313645.jpg
830KB, 2125x2834px
none of the fans for the cabin are working, on any settings. My AC is still working (I know because it's squeaky, which is a whole different issue I need to address), but the fans will not turn on no matter what settings I put it on. What is my problem most likely? I drive a 2002 honda civic that I bought for $3k
>>
>>17669621
blower motor fuse, relay or the motor itself took a shit. Check in same order, to test the blower motor, take out and plug your car battery directly to it, and see if it turns on. if it does, it's the wiring to any of the components like the dials or the motor itself. get your multimeter and start hunting for voltage, or lack thereof
>>
>>17669548
I'm guessing by swapping you moved the coilpack to other cylinders to see if it follows? I would run a few tankfuls of fuel system cleaner to see if it's a clogged injector. If you have a cheap mechanic's stethoscope (place it right on the injector) you can listen to the injector & compare it's sound to another one. My guess is the #1 injector is not performing as it should. Also clean the throttle body off too just to be clean.
>>
Are Tahoes any good in snow?

What about Explorers? What year is best to get?
>>
File: angry_pepe.jpg (40KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
angry_pepe.jpg
40KB, 900x900px
>>17669770
Nah, my dad bought brand new coils and installed them, and the problem persisted. As I said in my first post, I already tried replacing the injector. The injector currently in cylinder #1 is brand new. This is why the problem is so fucking frustrating. Everything conceivable has already been ruled out!
>>
>>17669819
Was the fuel rail to the injector clean and clear? What about the wiring to the injector? is it damaged somewhere and connects and disconnects as the car moves along the road? Do you have a mechanic with one of the big fancy obd scanners? I was looking through some forums and I remember seeing one person asking the OP if they had "driven through a puddle that was about mid wheel height. Could be related somehow, but I think that thread was solved through a faulty injector.
>>
>>17669747
take out my car battery? The AC blower motor above the passenger-side footwell.

I just checked youtube and all the videos say to check the "AC blower motor resistor" since that usually goes bad before the actual motor, but there is no mention of that resistor in the owner's manual.
>>
I guess I will check if the injector is getting proper voltage. I dunno if I can do that with my multimeter or not.
>>
Does anyone in here know if a M44 Head will fit onto an M42 block without too much trouble? looking at buying an E36 Compact with bent valves, figure it would be easier to just give it a new head and gasket. any help is good
>>
>>17665234
I daily an E30 and rarely have any issues. When old cars do have problems they're generally a lot easier to diagnose and fix than in newer cars
>>
can i mix a few drops of oil with ATF? will this kill the transmission?
>literally less than a capful

also if I ship tires to a random walmart will they install them for me if they have a tire center?
will they expect this (just walk into the tire center) or would i have to set something up?
>never done this before
would it just be better to get them shipped to my house and have my own guy install them?
>>
>>17665812
literally half the purpose of having an automatic
>>
>>17669903
Why do you need to put oil in with the ATF? a few drops won't hurt probably.

Why does it have to be walmart? Odds are not they'd probably laugh at you for buying anything other than the shit they have on the racks.

Get the tires shipped to your house, then take them to an actual tire shop, its what I do for my motorcycle tires.
>>
>>17669880
Don't think it will, Generally BMW makes significant changes to its engine design every redesign, but you could always ask a BMW specific forum.
>>
File: fuse-box.jpg (44KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
fuse-box.jpg
44KB, 500x294px
>>17669857
nah, just pull the motor out of the passenger footwell and take it over to the battery and connect somes to the terminal to test it. Thats why you should check the fuse and from some quick googling, if the fuse is fine, and you can test the blower and it works, it's probably that big bulky resistor for your motor

pic related to where to find the fuse
>>
>>17669857
The resistor is usually a part manufacturers would rather a dealership replace as its usually tucked in a spot far away from the Fuse box and not accessible with out tools.

And yes usually resistors go out before the motor, replace that first.
>>
File: 1480343830478.jpg (39KB, 320x315px) Image search: [Google]
1480343830478.jpg
39KB, 320x315px
>>17669949
>why u need to put oil in atf?
i used a 4L jug and i have 1L left; would like to make the extra portable but all i have are old oil bottles
>it's synth if it makes any difference
>inb4 mislabeling
I took the old label off the ATF and put it on the jug over the oil label

>why walmart?
because they're walmart tires, and i want it done fast, thought they may have some special sort of deal where u order them online and they install them if tire center?
but it's free to ship to house so I could have a shop do it
>but all the local tire shops are pic related AND take 3-4 hours for anything
might as well have it done fast
was just wondering if anyone had done this
/blog
>>
File: 98_lincoln_towncar.jpg (70KB, 500x499px) Image search: [Google]
98_lincoln_towncar.jpg
70KB, 500x499px
>>17666819
>Post of the year Candidate
>>
>>17670072
>i used a 4L jug and i have 1L left; would like to make the extra portable but all i have are old oil bottles

Then it should be fine. Why didn't you just say I need to store some ATF in a old Oil bottle?

>because they're walmart tires, and i want it done fast, thought they may have some special sort of deal where u order them online and they install them if tire center?
but it's free to ship to house so I could have a shop do it

Christ son, if they're Walmart tires then there shouldn't be a problem, just call the local one and ask them. Why do you over think things?
>>
Why, if I want to buy a 4x4 truck from 2001 and up, does the thing need to be so God damn huge? I don't need an extended cab or long bed or endless accessories, I need wheels attached to a sturdy frame powered by a strong reliable engine coupled to a 5 speed transmission with a short bed in back. Do they not make that in murica?
>>
>>17670477
Yes. Taco if you want a 6 speed and are willing to pay $30k+ or a Colorado/Canyon if you can live with a auto or a manual and a 4 cylinder 2wd. That's as small as they're going to get, Live with it. Nobody's forcing you to get every option. Base trucks are a thing if you can live without all the fancy shit.
>>
>>17670540
I looked around and yes you can get base models, which is cool. But I only really need hilux levels of truck, with 6 cylinders and 4x4, why all the hugeness?

Fuck me, I'm almost being forced into looking at crossovers or suvs or whatever the next size down is. I don't haul construction shit constantly, there's no point in a full sized truck and mediums don't seem to exist.
>>
>>17670556
You can thank CAFE and emissions laws for that.
>>
>>17670576
How much to import a ute, and will it be cubed
>>
>>17670584
http://lefthandutes.com/
>>
Is it worth spending $40 on race fuel to get my octane up to 94 from 91? The manufacturer claims peak performance is with 94 octane.
>>
>>17670606
I realize you've answered me than enough questions, but does toyota make a small truck like that? Or are they toyota trucks, rebranded? I just want the toyota pickup to be made today
>>
File: 2002-malibu-1.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
2002-malibu-1.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
it rained like FUCK here today. flooded the shit out of everything. plenty of my friends cars were halfway submerged. everything is shitfucked into oblivion.

i just got home now after the water has gone down to find that my car has also been slightly flooded. you can see the water line, goes up a little over halfway up the tires, as well as inside the doorwells, and my carpeting seems to be slightly damp.

worst part is, i can't even check my engine out to see if it got flooded because it's dark and it just started pouring again. and also i can't get it to higher ground, because i don't want to crank it up until i can check things out.

first question is: is insurance likely to total my shitbox after this? assuming that the engine is fine, and the floorboards getting wet is the extent of the damage

another question: i can't do anything about the damp carpet now, but when i can, how do i go about drying it out? is mold gonna be an issue too? i remember when hurricane rita hit our house flooded just enough to wet the carpet, but we had to get back in there asap and start tearing out carpet before mold set in an started fucking shit up.

sorry if my post is hard to understand or dumb or whatever. i'm just real miffed about this. i just busted my ass fixing all sorts of things on this car myself and if it gets fucked from a little flood water i'm gonna be super pissed. pic related. it's my beloved shitty old shitboox.
>>
>>17669548
Remember you need three things for proper detonation: Fuel/air mixture, spark, and compression.
So if you are sure you have ruled out the first two, then you need to confirm the last one.
>>
>>17670622
You can look for octane boosters at a parts store.
Do a little math and calculate how much you need to get to that octane level.
>>
>>17670731
No higher than that, the engine and trans are likely fine.

The problem you'll have with the interior is odor. The sound deadening material called jute stays wet for a long time and bacteria grows and then dies causing the odor. The fix is to remove the seats and carpet. Take the carpet to the car wash and wash it as long as you have it out anyway. Then throw it out in the sun to dry. For the jute you find out the thickness of the original as you're chucking it in the trash and then find a carpet store that has the thickness you need and cut it to fit. Then reassemble.
>>
>>17665191
if someone "swaps" their transmission or engine does that mean the one they installed is used
>>
>>17670774
Usually. It is possible to buy some engines new but that's much more expensive.
>>
Opinions on a 5 speed subaru Baja?
>>
File: download.jpg (11KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 400x400px
>>17669978
>>17669980
yeah I checked the fuses they're good, and on my car the resistor, which the owner manual refers to as a "power transistor", is not giving me the correct impedance. It said measure two terminals to read ~1.5k ohms but when I read the impedance that number was way off. I went to autozone and waited 40 minutes in line for them to tell me they have to deliver the part, so I'll wait and see tomorrow.
I am not sure why my owner manual calls it a transistor but at autozone the computer had it as a Blower Motor Resistor. Transistors and resistors are totally different components so I wonder why they use them interchangeably.

Thanks for reading my blog, and don't forget to give me another (You). Also check out my YouTube channel and follow me on /o/ and /g/.
>>
>>17670768
ahh, yeah i was dreading having to rip out all the carpet but i should be able to do all that, as big of a pain as it would be.

also i'm sure some water must've gone into my exhaust pipe. is that something to worry about to, or will it all just blow out or something when/if i start the car up?
>>
File: 1448943397666s.jpg (8KB, 250x228px) Image search: [Google]
1448943397666s.jpg
8KB, 250x228px
What happens if you buy an older car that sells for way over NADA/KBB value gets hit and totaled by another vehicle?

Do you only get the NADA/KBB value?

I've always wanted to buy an NSX but afraid that if someone hits it I could be out of $20,000
>>
File: 1484721745359.jpg (218KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1484721745359.jpg
218KB, 1024x683px
What are some rev happy cars these days? Preferably no Honda Civics. I have nothing against them and I'd love to get one but I'm starting a new job in a shitty part of town so I'd rather not have to deal with it being stolen.

Any drivetrain works, as long as its commonly available in manual. Trying not to spend more than $3000. Fuel efficient is a must. I'm trying to get something to use instead of my gas guzzling Mustang.

I just want something I can rev the shit out of and daily drive.
>>
>>17670767
Yeah good suggestion, the racing fuel is super expensive
>>
>>17671026
get a civic si
>>
>>17671026

try a civic
>>
File: 005.jpg (20KB, 583x228px) Image search: [Google]
005.jpg
20KB, 583x228px
>>17671026
FXGT is a relatively unassuming car that you can rev the tits off it for fun

Alternatively (AE92's are still easy to break into) try the AE100, its a little more secure.

I wouldnt advise an MR2, well known for being reasonably quick RWD cars which makes them a target. and theyre easy to break into.
>>
>>17671043
Racing fuel is usually the same price as premium gas Because it has no tax on it.

However if the taxman gets wind of you using a non DOT rated/taxed fuel youre going to get mercilessly fucked.
>>
File: 006.jpg (35KB, 658x306px) Image search: [Google]
006.jpg
35KB, 658x306px
>>17671085
>>
>>17670731
Cant ye just jack it up and throw it on blocks or axle stands? get alteast a extra 6 inches.
>>
>>17671128
i would if i could, but i don't have anything to get it up on.

plus, it's parked in the street (there's nowhere else to park it here) and knowing the parking enforcement assholes here i'd be risking a ticket or having my car towed if i did try to elevate it.
>>
>>17666819
Yeah but chrome c pillars are nigger tier
>>
>>17671252
*b pillars I hate my life
>>
>>17671096
Nah dude premium gas is $3.30, race fuel is $9.30 it's almost 3x the price. I added 3 gallons and I definitely feel a difference but I can't help but think there's an additive that can accomplish the same thing for less money.

The thing is though a lot of the best octane boosters use MMT which apparently fouls up plugs and sensors as well as the cat
>>
So if I were to seriously consider doing an engine swap what do I need to know and have?

Obviously one must first find the new engine to be swapped in, make it fit/mount in your shitbox, replace the existing fuel injection system and do the wiring. What other steps are there and how does one go around doing it right?
>>
>>17671284
i would recommend doing a swap in kind or a full engine rebuild first. that will answer most of your questions.
>>
Are Antares tires any good?
>>
File: 242.jpg (56KB, 500x648px) Image search: [Google]
242.jpg
56KB, 500x648px
>>17670443
>why do you overthink things?
>he doesn't like being prepared
also see >>17669903
and
>never done this before
thanks for ball the welp
I did something else that I'm familiar with
>>
File: sC4banJ.jpg (978KB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
sC4banJ.jpg
978KB, 4000x3000px
Will black trim restorer work on the black stuff around my windows? Above the window its a little ripped and messed up and I know that wont fix it, but will it make it look any better? What about the faded mirrors?
>>
is buying a car from someone you know a bad idea?
my girlfriends brother is selling his forerunner.
>1999
>2.7 4cyl
>manual
>125,xxx miles
he was saying he would take 4k for it but he would sell it to my girlfriend for $3500. is that a good price? is buying a car from someone I know a good idea? the guy is very knowledgeable and mechanically inclined
>>
>>17671600
Those fucking 1/4 windows have been a problem since 1987. Nothing really helps because the material has become porous and it just soaks up anything you put on it without any change in appearance. Still, won't hurt to try. The mirrors don't have the material problem that the 1/4 windows do so maybe that stuff will make a temporary improvement but they, and the door window frames, really need to be painted to look right.
>>
>>17671686
>is buying a car from someone you know a bad idea?
It isn't recommended since money always fucks things up between people. Two scenarios pop to mind immediately. First one is that he will always find little ways of getting little digs in that he cut you a break with the implication that you now somehow owe him something. You may not mind at first but this shit is like water torture with a constant drip-drip-drip of smug superiority to the point you grind your teeth at the mere thought of having to talk to "that" guy again. The other is the more obvious situation where the vehicle fuck ups shortly after purchase in a way that makes you feel he knew and ripped you off anyway. His "Fuck You. It was a used car dude" attitude just makes you even more certain he knowingly sold you a piece of crap. Now Sis is mad at him. Their parents are mad at them both AND you and everybody is just pissed at everybody else over the whole situation. Then there's practically infinite variations where somebody gets pissed about the deal over one thing or another that are virtually impossible to predict so it's just better to not even get started and go find something where you don't have to involve money with friends or relatives.
>>
>>17671600
When I had my '91 LX repainted I taped off the rubber trim and sanded it down while using a type of filler, unfortunately I can't remember the name. After that I used trim paint and it came out great. It's better than dropping $300+ for a new pair of windows.
>>
File: Lincoln_Continental_Town_Car.jpg (365KB, 2439x1213px) Image search: [Google]
Lincoln_Continental_Town_Car.jpg
365KB, 2439x1213px
>tfw all I want is a Lincoln Continental Town Car but I live in an apartment and don't have a hangar to store it in
>>
File: 1423016911577.png (698KB, 608x715px) Image search: [Google]
1423016911577.png
698KB, 608x715px
How can I get an S15 in the us?
>>
File: cvt.jpg (176KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cvt.jpg
176KB, 1920x1080px
Why are there no good cvt's outside of an F1?
>>
>>17666254
wat

Those are completely different vehicles with completely different purposes. If you were asking GTI or FiST, or Fusion or Mazda6, I'd get it.
>>
File: ibiza.jpg (240KB, 960x1375px) Image search: [Google]
ibiza.jpg
240KB, 960x1375px
I'm looking at a 3k Ibiza 3, VIN-checked it, this is what happened to it a while ago, below is what it looks like now.
Is this acceptable if it was competently repaired or should I give it a pass?
t. clueless
>>
File: lincoln-emblem.png (99KB, 434x209px) Image search: [Google]
lincoln-emblem.png
99KB, 434x209px
Should I do it \o\?? Don't need it but just wanna have it. Bads/goods. Also Lincoln general.

https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-lincoln-mark-iv/6250207256.html
>>
File: fredrogersbig.jpg (20KB, 229x300px) Image search: [Google]
fredrogersbig.jpg
20KB, 229x300px
>>17671686
>>17671822

Or it might go fine. I don't know about 4 Runners but if it's a good deal I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's not like It's someone that you have to deal with seeing every day, plus it will probably go fine anyway as long as you follow the typical rules: don't take the sellers word for anything and properly inspect before you buy.
>>
>>17672408
F1 doesn't use cvts...they use a dual clutch sequential shift paddle activated manual...
>>
File: gbTRJ4E.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
gbTRJ4E.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Keyless Entry Master Race checking in. Didn't want to start a thread about it, but keyless entry is one of the most useful features you can get for a car.

My mom locked her keys in her car yesterday and I had to go give her the spare key. This got me thinking about how awesome keyless entry really is. I have never locked my keys in my car. Wait. That is not true. I lock my keys in my car most every day. But the difference is I do it on purpose.

Ever want to run into a gas station or Tim Hortons or something like that and leave your engine running? There are also sorts of reasons to do this: to reduce wear, warm up in the winter, stay cool in the summer, charge the battery... Anyhow, keyless entry makes it easy to leave your car securely with the engine running. I just lock the keys in the car with the engine running, and when I come back I type in my code. So simple but so useful! Now I don't have to put all that extra wear on the engine from shutting it off and starting back up again a minute or two later.

If you have a keypad on your car and don't use it, I highly suggest you do, it's very useful. The only thing is that if one of the buttons fail, then I am going to be screwed--locked out of the car with the engine running. The chances of that happening are probably pretty low though. Even then, I will be OK because I have a spare key in a box stuck to my frame with a magnet.

All cars should have a keypad. No one would ever get locked out of their car again.
>>
>>17672693
Starting and stopping only accelerates component wear when oil has had time to all drain back down into your oil pan. The first few seconds of cranking an engine when it doesn't have any oil in all of your bearings is what's wearing your engine out.

If you turn it off and turn it back on 3 minutes later, there's probably still oil in most of the places where it needs to be.

My solution to this is to just drive a manual transmission in the US. You can leave it running with the door open in the worst gas station you can find and nobody will fuck with it.
>>
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/d/vw-golf/6251128618.html
is this workable
yes im desperate
>>
>>17672709
Looks good to me.
>>
>>17672707
I have a manual transmission car in burgerland, but I have one better - the key is so worn I can pull it out of the ignition with the car running, and it has keyless entry. Shit isn't getting stolen anytime soon
>>
File: r32 ny.jpg (47KB, 600x360px) Image search: [Google]
r32 ny.jpg
47KB, 600x360px
Should I get this or import my own from Nippon? Literally comes with a spare motor and the current motor still runs fine. As much as I want to import one it's more risky since you don't 100% know what you're getting
https://albany.craigslist.org/cto/d/1990-nissan-skyline/6249328785.html
>>
>>17670813
Why the fuck not?
>>
>>17670859
Because the guys writing the manuals typically aren't the engineers and mechanics who designed the car.
>>
>>17672709
500 is just above scrap value so if anything its a little low
>>
>>17672631
Looks gorgeous anon, do it. Just don't be poor, fuel consumption is a bitch.
>>
>>17672631
>https://kpr.craigslist.org/cto/d/1972-lincoln-mark-iv/6250207256.html

Get it before some nigger donks it.
>>
>>17672631
Fuck yeah! Only possible red flag I see is it seems a bit underpriced. Almost Nigerian scammer underpriced.

One caveat is if you have emissions testing in your area. It can sometimes be tough to get old cars to pass.
>>
>>17672902
Nah don't.
Neo motor will be a pain to get going, its rusty, and that non factory colour will be a bitch to match. The rb25 in it isn't standard either. Don't know if it's a genuine det or a dirty +t with the wrong computer cooking itself.
Also 12 grand hahahah

T. From somewhere skidlines are not unicorns.
They just aren't that great.
>>
>>17665191
Bought a new car and the jacking points are kinda retarded. Would it be possible for me to jack up one corner, put a jackstand under, and then jack up the corner on the other side?
>>
>>17673299
Bump
>>
>>17671252
No worse than landau vinyl roofs and opera windows.
>>
>>17673842
help pls
>>
>>17674310
>opera windows.
>>
>>17673842
Does it have an engine cross member and do you have a floor jack? What car is it and where exactly are the factory jack points?
>>
File: IMG_0108.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0108.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
dj5guy here

I got the title sorted out and brought it home yesterday

Supposedly the torque converter is bad, however the trans and torque converter are already out. This is a low-bucks project so I'd rather not replace something that's not broken

is there a way to bench test / visually inspect them or do I need to put it all back together to be sure?

Trans cross-member is also missing. Use a cut down 2x6 temporarily?
>>
Is it true that if you pull a handbrake that hasn't been used in years it could seize up and not release?
>>
>>17675168
Yes, But if take care to lube everything before hand, or douse the parts with WD40 you can avoid it.
>>
>>17671822
Well the guy is a really good guy and I know he wouldn't be a jerk. He's the kind of guy who takes care of his things and wouldn't screw me or anyone else over. My gfs dad told didn't think she should buy it though and that's what I don't understand
>>
It's obvious my old 1995 beater is not worth maintaining at this point. I'm not a car person, but I need a car to have an income currently, so I'm looking for another cheap used car. I don't have much cash currently (around 3k USD); I can save more, but my current car is long past due for inspection and the brakes are clearly starting to go...

The sticky chart seems dated and it feels like the $3k automatics around me are unreliable models; I figured that if I'm playing dice on 15 year old high-mileage rust buckets, I should use this opportunity to try out a manual transmission while I'm young and can justify ~2k on a shitter car for the 'experience' that will die in a few years (as opposed to buying a new manual later in my professional life out of tantalization and regretting it).
The issue is that I have a whole two hours experience with manual transmission; I can't exactly do much in terms of test drives and I'll end up scaring sellers away, so I'd have to rely in good faith on a pre-purchase inspection/carfax/OBDII and haplessly drive it home from the tag place myself...

... is this really recommendable, though? Has anyone here done anything like this?

Secondarily, what would be the best way to get a return on my old piece of junk? Crappy condition, but it runs (gets me to work nearby everyday as it continues rotting), engine itself seems good, and the only code is a bad O2 sensor. Sell on craigslist as-is?
>>
>>17675391
What is your 95 beater, and what exactly is wrong with it?

Anything you buy that's under 3k is likely to have similar age related problems.

My first manual was a straight gut buy but the car was in excellent condition already so it wasn't as if I was buying something blind.

CL as is would be your best bet but it maybe a while before you get a fair price on it, price a few hundred more than what you expect to get as asshole will try to haggle you.
>>
My mother's Yaris fucked a timing chain for less than 10k km, what the fuck could it be?
>>
Guys I already got a couple good responses on my separate thread, would appreciate some more advice:

>>17675599
>>17675599
>>
>>17675665
Tensioner, insufficient lubrication, or innate defect.
>>
>>17675697
We got the chain off and we were suspecting basically the same things, well the whole shit has locked up, the chain won't even sit straight. The tensioner is fine. The teeth on the wheels are a bit worn out, but they should not fuck up the chain that bad. So oil problem must be the issue. We are still looking for stuff that might be wrong.
>>
>>17675654

It's a Dodge Intrepid ES. I know the engine mounts and rear mount need to be replaced, along with some tires and brakes (supposedly I have swollen brake lines). The oil light is permanently on since I got it. There is some kind of fluid leak that I can't recall immediately. Gas meter seems to drop to zero and back to normal randomly. Apparently my rear struts need to be replaced soon. Headlights seem to like to stay on after I turn off my car despite me turning them off and other weird electric oddities. Aforementioned O2 sensor MIL.
It's also just plain rusty (PA winters can do that, not gonna be able to avoid that) and was dinged up a decent bit due to novice driving. Friend sold it to me for 1k (he was buying a new car and trade in value was a joke) when I was totally desperate for a car for my minimum wage job and he probably had a shady inspection on it, but hey, this got me from absolute poverty to making over 35k a year, so...

Yeah, nothing I can buy under 3k is going to be anywhere near perfect. I just hope for something that could last me, say, 2 years/15k miles or so without too much expense - by that point, my combined 'car budget' would be well into the range of buying something legitimately good or even possibly consider a new car. I figured that now would be a good time to try manual since I'm pretty much screwed anyways at this price point and thus can decide if I want to fully invest in manual or not.
>>
>>17665234
Dd a 86 volvo 740. If your car has efi, expect the computer to go out, electrical bits have a shelf life. Honestly though, if it was cared for before you got it and has a good drivetrain, you'll still be either living with stupid problems, ie broken sunroof, seat heater doesn't work, or you'll be spending all your time hunting them down. They're going to degrade faster than a new car that's being daily driven but that's just the way she goes
>>
File: 762017212525.jpg (4MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
762017212525.jpg
4MB, 3984x2988px
>>17665234
Newer cars IMO aren't any more or less reliable than their older counterparts. My cousin used to talk mad shit about my XJ because seemingly I'm always under it fixing something (usually just minor shit that's bothering me), riiight up until his shiny brand new Hyundai Elantra grenades it's engine at 20k miles.

Jeep's a 98 with 175k on it and shit's JUST NOW starting to wear out. Meanwhile his shiny new 2015 appliance can't make it two winters.
>>
File: muh intake.jpg (295KB, 1249x932px) Image search: [Google]
muh intake.jpg
295KB, 1249x932px
What is this air intake and what can you tell me about it?
It's in a 03 eclipse.

>Injen technology
>Spectre
>Dyno proven performance products
>Cyborg intake system
>c.a.r.b. eo# d-4763
>>
>>17676494
That its shit and probably sucking hot air and dirt into the engine.
>>
>>17676494
>injun technology

Is it made from wood and buffalo hide?
>>
Trying to find out two things for my car but not having much luck googling by myself.
I have a 2003 Audi TT and am trying to find out the part number for the coils and also what kind of coolant it needs.
Don't have a physical copy of the owners book and can't find one for my year online.
>>
My manual benz is stuck in reverse
What would be a typical cause for this
>>
>>17677341
It is probably the linkage between the shifter and transmission
>>
>>17677452
>>17677452
I actually mannaged to jam it into first but when I put it in reverse again it was stuck again
>>
>>17677477
It sounds like the cable is messed up between the shifter and transmission, it's not properly connected anymore but this is not a rare problem and shouldn't cost too much to fix
>>
With proper tuning can you increase the horsepower of a car by a factor of at least 2x?
>>
>>17677341
What model?
>>
>>17677577
Does 'proper tuning' include forced induction, larger/more fuel lines and possibly a modified camshaft and sleeved cylinders (that is if you don't want the block to get ripped apart) if so then yes
>>
>>17677577
Define tuning.

ECU flash? Fuck no.
Intake, exhaust mods, cams and compression? Possible with a low strung engine.

A miata, for example, can get 2x with just a bolt on turbo and aftermarket ECU, maybe an intercooler.
>>
File: IMG_20170807_075452341.jpg (4MB, 2952x5248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170807_075452341.jpg
4MB, 2952x5248px
>>17665191
WTF? Why is there only one transmission cooler line hooked up to my radiator? It looks like some dumbass plugged the return hole with a bolt
>>
File: IMG_20170807_080113.jpg (2MB, 2952x3607px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170807_080113.jpg
2MB, 2952x3607px
>>17677869
!!!
>>
Sometimes my truck flashes a "Lamp out" warning. No lights are out but it still spams it going on and off. No other electrical faults though.
>>
about to pull the trigger on a 2011 1.6 ecooboost ford mondeo titanium
lowered the price to 6300 euro
should I?
link related: http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Tiran%C3%AB/AUTOMJETE/Makina/Ford/Mondeo/Ford-Mondeo-Titanium/4387267
>>
>>17678009
>ecooboost
>>
>>17678013
i dont know much about it
tell me more beside meme arrow
>>
>>17677869
bump pld
>>
>>17678013
Kys underage summerfaggot
>>
>>17665191
fuck no, talk about a fucking land barge
>>
>>17677579
uhh
1985 260e with a 5 speed from a w202 c230 and a om662 engine
>>
>>17678013
I know it's you shitting up every thread, fucking mentally deficient cretin
>>
>>17678504
>He doesn't like massive comfy boats
Alright Eurocuck
>>
File: image-7.jpg (7KB, 124x129px) Image search: [Google]
image-7.jpg
7KB, 124x129px
Which is better Chevy Impala or Honda Accord
>>
What are symptoms of leaky fuel injectors?
>>
>>17671026
Mazda miata desu. Engine is from a econobox and was built for a turbo. They removed the turbo for the miata so now it's under stressed. Rev the living shit out of them all day and they'll last forever
>>
>>17679050
I've definitely thought about a Miata. I know a lot of people say they're decent daily drivers too, which is what I'll be using it for. I'll be driving it mostly on the highway, is it being slow going to make that really bad? What RPM would the engine be at in top gear going 70 mph? I'm used to my foxbody being around 2000 in 5th at 70 and its a loud piece of shit. How much louder would it be in a Miata? Not worried so much about not being able to have a conversation because I don't have passengers, but I don't want to have to turn my music all the way up.

Also, for my price budget ($3000) should I look for an NA or NB? I prefer the looks of the NB but I know I'll probably find a cheaper NA.
>>
>>17671026
>stolen
get a manual
>>
>>17679073
Miatas have really aggressive gearing to make up for the shitty power and don't even have an overdrive. At least the 5spd ones. Now the 6 spd has an overdrive and will also handle twice the horsepower the normal 5spd does. The 5spd will be at 3700rpm at 70mph lmao. I daily mine but I use headphones so I don't care how loud it is I can't hear it anyway. That being said I also have a massive exhaust pipe and a cheap. Muffler so I have no idea how quiet a stock exhaust is.

3000 won't get you much of a miata. I paid 3,000$ for mine and it has 150k on it and is covered in some shitty rattle can I'm going to have maaco fix. If you want a quiet highway trip you'll need a 6spd, the 2001 model year had a 6 spd option. Start there
>>
Is there anyway to get some low-end torque to a NA engine that hasn't got any?
>>
File: IMAG0049.jpg (4MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0049.jpg
4MB, 4000x3000px
>>17679145
The highest quality one I can find is a '99 for $3650. I could probably talk him down, as it also has fairly extensive hail damage on the hood and a torn top. The hail damage isn't a big issue coming from a car that looks like pic related, but I know getting a replacement convertible top is super expensive. Could I just ghetto fix the rip with some duct tape or something? Or even just sew on a patch myself? I've never owned a convertible, and I also have no garage so I'm worried about leaks. The biggest problem is its almost an hour away and I really don't want to drive all that way for a car anymore. Also I'm not sure I could convince my parents to allow me another "sports" car (even though a Miata is hardly a sports car). I'll see what I can do.
>>
>>17677869
SOMEBODY HELP
>>
File: FB_IMG_1499825557020.jpg (124KB, 940x745px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1499825557020.jpg
124KB, 940x745px
>>17679579
Oops forgot pic
>>
File: IMG_1206.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1206.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
Does anyone know how to fix a dent like this? I tried tapping it with a rubber mallet but nothing happened, should I pour hot water on it first?
>>
>>17665228
I know in Arizona all it takes (or should take) is a form and a $4 fee
>>
Should i buy this ricer?

I could probably talk him down to like 2700$ based on the fact hes done so
Many mods

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/scz/cto/d/honda-civic-eg-hatch-swapped/6240679728.html
>>
Can anyone recommend me a great suction cup for body work ?
I have a depression on my trunk door that's about a feet in diameter that I'd like to fix.
>>
File: 1502071466665.jpg (10KB, 223x226px) Image search: [Google]
1502071466665.jpg
10KB, 223x226px
What's the best site to buy cars from?
>>
>>17680028
For used in the US, Craigslist.
>>
File: IMG_20170806_200154912.jpg (4MB, 5248x2952px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170806_200154912.jpg
4MB, 5248x2952px
>>17665191
What's this home at the bottom of my air cleaner for? A pcv valve?
>>
Cont. from
>>17675746
We changed the timing chain. It's all well except the car when setting off will bog down, like the low RPM stepper motor is fucked, the bad part is, the car doesn't have one. So when the water temperature reaches equilibrium the whole car will lower its RPM to 600(which is normal apparently) and it would not go off without stabbing the gas and letting off the clutch at >2000 RPM.
So far the suspects are:
ECU
Some Vacuum line somewhere

Do you guys have any more suggestions?
>>
>>17680124
>being white
>>
>>17680289
>being alphonse
>>
>>17678922
Toyota Camry
>>
File: FB_IMG_1501950619116.jpg (50KB, 355x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1501950619116.jpg
50KB, 355x960px
>>17680339
T. Whiteboi
>>
>>17680401
That may be the most Reddit meme I've ever seen.
>>
>>17680414
I like it
>>
>>17679774
dollar store toilet plunger
>>
>>17679165
get smaller wheels

>>17679214
>situation: only trans outlet feeds into radiator cooler
>why did I buy a vehicle from a mong?
help with what? you did this to yourself learn2inspect
>how fix?!
look for bolt plugging transmission fluid inlet
remove and install proper sized threaded barb
do the same to the trans. fluid outlet
get some good aftermarket rubber hose that fits the barbs
finally get an aftermarket cooler
>inb4 where do i mount cooler
ziptie it to your rusty ass radiator
>>
how much km is too much on a used e46
like I know if u take care of cars theyre better but even then theres a point where its just not worth fixing
is 190k km too much?
>>
my differential was leaking fluid for a bit, turns out it was a lot of fluid aand i may have at one point drove it (not sure for how long) with practically no gear oil in it at all. I've since fixed the leaking and added the proper amount of gear oil into the housing. The car doesn't feel or drive any differently, the oil that was leaking out was thin and dirty. How fucked up are my gears?
>>
>>17680851
Where was the leak, did you take the backplate off to inspect it?

If its an open Diff, then odds are you didn't do much damage.
>>
>>17680753
Not that much, that averages for less than 20k km per year which is normal. If it has been taken care of it should last at least 200k more.
>>
>>17680868
8.8 ford dif with lsd and its fancy clutch pack shit. The leak was coming from the bottom of the cover, the bolts backed themselves out enough that the cover must have jostled just enough to break the seal and cause fluid to leak out. I did not take the cover off and look inside because I didn't want to make more off a mess, I just torqd the bolts back down and inspected it.
>>
There is a 96 mark viii lsc for sale near me for $2500, 140,000 miles should I?
>>
When is it faster to lose traction and oversteer

and

when is it faster to grip?

Also, why?
>>
>>17680753
depends if its a 4cyl, 6 cyl or a diesel
4cyl: get ready for a headgasket
6cyl: meh probably gonna sell it before anything breaks
Diesel: does not matter
>>
>>17681018
never and always

because if youre not gripping you're not gaining speed, only losing it
>>
File: 1476476459473.png (667KB, 941x520px) Image search: [Google]
1476476459473.png
667KB, 941x520px
>>17680967
>96 mark viii lsc
direct quote from a grill
>paying that much to look that bad
>>
>>17681018
Losing traction and oversteering is better when your car can accelerate faster than it can break and corner. When mechanical grip is relatively high but you don't have any weight on the car (e.g. downforce)
That's why rally cross cars skid around so much. They have 600 hp but they don't develop enough speed in order for the aero to kick in properly so they rely on the out-of-corner acceleration to make good times.
Gripping is better rest of the time.
>>
File: IMG_20170807_215951.jpg (2MB, 2952x3097px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170807_215951.jpg
2MB, 2952x3097px
>>17665191
Uhhh... looks like my car's a bit... uneven... I think the rear driver's side suspension is too high because the other 3 corners are all the same height. Wat do?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170807-215707.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170807-215707.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
The fuck does this say, Google translate won't work on these words
>>
>>17681810
Also afaik none of the shocks are blown. Pushing down on all of them does the same thing
>>
>>17681814
>buying a car from a mexican
>>
>>17681892
>being racist
>>
Ecoboost Mustang
BRZ
ND MX-5

Which one? I'm leaning on the ND
>>
>>17680396
How come? New to cars and just want a car to drive
>>
>>17676947
anyone able to help me out at all?
>>
>>17676947
https://www.audionlineparts.com/

This has a blowup catalog similar to RealOem for BMWs.

Xerex or any non-phosphate coolant should work, or you can probably order the OEM stuff from a dealer or website like ECS.
>>
>>17682058
ND RF.

>>17682073
Then its a car to drive.

>>17681820
Standard Shocks have little to do with how level a car is, its has more to do with springs, you either have significant sag or one of the coils is broken.

>>17681965
>not understanding that stereotypes have to come from somewhere.

That being said, a Mexican will keep his car in better shape than a Nigger will, albeit he'll be driving around with half of Vatozones inventory on the exterior of the car.
>>
>>17682215
>significant sag
What do you mean by this?
>>
>>17682200
No.

If we were talking a German car, then yes.
>>
>>17682215
>ND RF
I wish its out of my price range 10k more
>>
>>17682220
Springs over due to various reasons lose the ability hold the same amount of weight as from factory up over time, and the softer the spring the more noticeable it becomes over time, American cars of that era were notoriously equipped with very soft springs.

Get some redneck who like to thrash his shit, or some landwhale that some how can fit their ass between the seat and the steering wheel and you'll have an unlevel car by 100k miles.
>>
>>17670072
>i used a 4L jug and i have 1L left; would like to make the extra portable but all i have are old oil bottles
This is your fucking reason for trying to mix incompatible fluids? Just dump the oil in the trash, don't mix it in the ATF.
>>
>>17682254
Ok what's a good way to check for spring problems? Just measuring them?
>>
>>17682195
Thank you for this!
Was finally able to find the part number I needed. Just ordered a set of coils. Probably won't be here till the end of the week or next week. Hope this will solve the misfire.

will have to find out where my coolant leak is before adding more coolant though.
>>
>>17682269
Go take it to an alignment shop. You can't really measure them without taking them off, and if you're at that point them you may as well be replacing them anyways.

Also if and when you replace your springs you're going to pretty much need to redo your entire suspension becuase I can guarantee all of that shit is worn out.
>>
>>17670731
This happened to my brothers car. We stripped out the whole interior that same day and the car is *mostly* smell free. If you let it sit for more than a day or so it will be absolutely disgusting.
>>
Looking at a 99 camry le v6 5 speed on friday. It has 80k miles and I'm going to try and get it for $2500. How are the transmissions on these?
>>
>>17681892
At this point it's a toyota for less than 5 grand, I'll take it now what's it say, hombre
>>
bought new gas struts for my hood/bonnet to replace the old ones that had failed but after removing the old ones the new ones don't fit. they are a few mill too long. I've lifted the hood as high as it can do and it still doesn't come close enough. I've tried compressing the struts but that doesn't work.
Is there anything I can do to get these damn things on?
Or do I have to try my luck and buy another pair and prey they will fit.

Didn't have this problem when I did the boot struts.
>>
I know I have a coolant leak but how do I go about finding it and fixing it?
>>
Why did Alphonse stop posting with his Soviet sockpuppet?
>>
>>17682262 were too retarded and didn't read
>>17669903
>can i mix a few drops of oil with ATF?
>will this kill the transmission?
>literally less than a capful
>>
Moving from a snowy state to literally the desert. Won't have a job for a while so I'll be keeping my winter tires for a few months to a year. Will they hold up during that time to as high as 110° air temp and even hotter asphalt?
>>
>>17669163
How does an 07' get that corroded? Do you live under the sea or something?
>>
>>17682869
no
get a set of used tires
>>
When did slushboxes stop being terrible?
>>
>>17679584
If the metal is not creased you might have luck with a suction cup, you can get them relatively small. If the metal is creased you are fucked. Assuming the dent is on metal at least.
>>
>>17682932
When locking torque converters were invented. The slush box meme has been a meme since the 1980s. People rarely bother to properly calculate their actual real world fuel economy so they go by the EPA test numbers. But the fact is most people aren't capable of shifting as perfectly as a professional test driver, especially not when real world traffic is thrown at them. So even while manuals won on window sticker fuel economy they have still largely been losing in real world application since the advent of locking torque converters. As far as performance goes it really depends. On track racing manual will always win. With drag racing automatics usually win since every millisecond counts, especially if you are doing Dial-in you can achieve a much more predictable result.
>>
>>17682974
oh also now high end automatics and dcts have more gear count, which makes them unbeatable on the quarter versus the same car with a 6 speed manual.
>>
>>17682473
gave in and ordered another set. will REEEEEEEEEEEEE if they don't fit.
>>
>>17681814
Bump for this, dude can't spell, says something like "clean title?"
>>
File: f1 kino.jpg (314KB, 1280x848px) Image search: [Google]
f1 kino.jpg
314KB, 1280x848px
>>17682058
Alright I'm going with the Ecoboost Mustang or the ND non rf

The BRZ is being offered to me for 25k, 86 was 25.5k like seriously what is this pricing?
The BRZ/86 just seemed the more expensive bad compromise.

Mustang 23k and the ND is 24k.
I'm 80% getting the mustang now especially after reading the Ford Performance tune gives such a giant boost on stock internals while preserving the warranty.
Though I read the Mustang has carbon build up is it a serious issue?
>>
>>17666780
Register it in a place that doesn't record emissions. When I lived in Wisconsin, if I wanted to run a hopped-up car with no emissions constraints, I'd say it was being kept in one of the dozens of rural counties that don't do emissions testing due to the sparse population.
>>
How do I steal a street sign?

Not the post, I just want the sign.
>>
>>17680898
You may have worn out the clutch pack. Personally I would have pulled the plate gave it a once over, and put a new gasket on.
>>
>>17682473
Unless you're a puny weakling man, you should have been able to compress them enough.

I can hand press whole car shocks to adjust them.
>>
>>17684432
Step 1: get a twingo
>>
Does a car retain traction when accelerating at the miniscule level?
Just assume a car is accelerating from say 70 mph with 70 ft-lb at 3000 RPM (40ish HP). In practice it should be a smooth, drama free increase in speed but what I wonder is whether the fact that the 70ft-lb is delivered 50 times a second is causing a microsecond loss of traction upon power delivery or if the materials leading that power to the wheels are in a way smoothing out the power delivery.
inb4: retarded question.
>>
>>17684432
Become African American
>>
>>17682940
It's plastic but how would a suction cup help? It's a curve that's been flattened out, or do you mean suction cup it out and hammer it back in!
>>
About to do an oil change to my shitbox on my own for the very first time, are these the steps to do it right or am I missing something?

-get your shitbox on jackstands
-loosen the oil drain plug with a breaker bar
-unscrew the oil drain plug with ratchet wrench
-quickly try to find something for the old oil to drop into
-find and remove the old oil filter
-put some oil into the new oil filter and put the new oil filter on (is tightening oil filter by hand enough?)
-put the oil drain plug back on hopefully with a new drain plug washer
-put new oil in the engine
-get you shitbox off the jackstands
-start the engine and hope everything went OK
>>
>>17684955
If you need a breaker bar to release the drain plug then there's something wrong. And the rubber seal will be a part of the plug so if the seal is bad you need a new plug.
Pro tip: the oil stream will shoot out 8 inches from the drain hole at first.
>>
How can i cool the inside of a car without AC? In texas and without the car being in motion with ac on max, it gets pretty hot and stuffy. I want to be able to sit in it and maybe sleep for a bit while on break at work, but id prpbably drown in sweat. Already bought ome of those reflective windshield covers, didnt help much. Is tinting my only other option?
>>
File: 1502212849084.jpg (143KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1502212849084.jpg
143KB, 960x720px
Could someone help me identify this car?

I really like how this car looks and I would like to know what brand and type it is. It's a LHD car as the steering wheel is on the right side, if the image wasn't mirrored. I think it's some kind of Lexus but I'm not sure. Any help or suggestion would be greatly appreciated!
>>
>>17685100
You could run the car and turn on the ventilation.
>>
>>17684955
they're called crush washers, and you SHOULD use a new one since the "crush" and deform to seal the plug
but you can usually just turn the old one around and recrush
protips: check old filter for gasket,
if it's not there it's sticking to the filter mating surface
and u need to remove it
also put 1-2 quarts in and check for leaks around the oil filter and drain plug before lowering off stands and filling completely
this makes correcting fuckups less costly and time consuming

>>17685024
>if u have to use a breaker bar something is wrong
strongly agree
also crush washers are a thing, some plug bolts don't use rubber gaskets

>>17685100
pretty much
or nig rig some sort of swamp cooler
>>
File: 1458627283310.gif (211KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
1458627283310.gif
211KB, 480x320px
>>17684870
>materials leading that power to the wheels are in a way smoothing out the power delivery
short answer: yes, flywheel, it is heavy
>>
File: dshfiesvndwzp461ybzz.gif (489KB, 344x229px) Image search: [Google]
dshfiesvndwzp461ybzz.gif
489KB, 344x229px
>>17682503
first buy a di-agnostic set of eyeballs
you can usually get these from any church or o'really/vatozone in your area
then you're going to need to find a turbo encabulator, which will be tough
but erowid can help you locate one
it will help you realize that you need to get under the car and just spend some quality time
bring your phone to take selfies with the leak
>>
>>17685110
diamante?
>>
File: IMG_20170808_143852.jpg (2MB, 5248x2261px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170808_143852.jpg
2MB, 5248x2261px
Continued from >>17681810
Jacked my car up from the diff and there's still a significant difference (2") between the left and right rear wheels. Also my front wheels are a tiny bit off. Is my frame fucked?
>>
File: 2nd-Mitsubishi-Diamante.jpg (181KB, 1724x1144px) Image search: [Google]
2nd-Mitsubishi-Diamante.jpg
181KB, 1724x1144px
>>17685410
Diamante looks a bit differently
>>
>>17685471
replace all your shocks if you haven't already

maybe take it to an alginment shop and see if they say anything
>>
Why the fuck is it so hard to find a drivable small rwd manual car under 3k in Portland and surrounding? Out of 1600+ listed rwd manual vehicles, less than a dozen are small, drivable, and not obviously going to die down within 2 weeks of purchase. I need a cheap beginners car, not a fucking "project" car.
>>
Help me remember something I forgot. What was the brand/company that made aeroplanes before cars, and part of their cars would be inspired by planes, or something like that?
>>
It's not BMW and their cars look kind of edgy.
>>
File: lincoln-mark-viii-3.jpg (133KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
lincoln-mark-viii-3.jpg
133KB, 1024x768px
>>17681034
>96 mark viii lsc
It's a fat blob, but in black on black i think it looks alright, got that 90s crack dealer chic

where i live anything with matching body panels is enough, just want something newer with a big v8 and two doors for under 3,000, hard to find.
>>
>>17685709
318ti
t
i
>>
>>17685709
Would you be ok with a miata? Plenty of those on the market.
>>
What can make a gas engine sound like a diesel, and how concerned should i be about it?
Looked around online and it seemed like most of the time it happened to people they were also hemorrhaging oil, but my car is just fine on oil right now and only loses about a quart every 1200-1500 miles.
>>
>>17685709
get a truck.
>>
>>17665191
1971 datsun 240z 1 series. I've got a strange shaking coming from what sounds like either the U-joint or the rear diff every time I go near red line in 3rd or go to about 3000rpm in 4th or 5th, I dont feel it in the wheel at all. its not brakes, its only during acceleration and I have both a spare diff and spare drive shaft. I dont really have access to a lift until january. what can I do to narrow it down?
>>
>>17686362
exhaust leak, sudden dips in RPM can also be due to blow-by and low compression
>>
Guys help. The dumb bastards at midas fucking left my coolant cap loose, and to top that off left my fucking air filter cover unscrewed and now im worried dust and shit mightve gone through the engine because it couldve easily snuck threw the slight space. I drove it for a week like this without realizing until today. Dumb move on my part for not looking first. Any real possibility dust or dirt could have passed through? Thanks br/o/s
>>
>>17686414
RPM fluctuates a bit at idle but no sudden dips, and there's a bit of an exhaust leak but it's been there as long as I've had the car.
It just started ticking yesterday, and the ticking stays consistent with RPM.
Looking a bit more, it sounds like in the vr6 i've got the timing chain and tensioners are common culprits, so i may have answered my own question.
>>
Can someone post the African rallycross twitter pic with the african guy going "white people out here making too much damn noise smdh"
>>
>>17686256
I guess, but there's just something about it that I don't quite like. Is it fun to drive?
>>
>>17686487
Two things your car would have over heated with the cap was completely off.

If the filter was in the box odds are the sheer suction of the intake would have keep the filter on enough.
>>
>>17686404
does the car have a guibo?
>>
>>17686194
Saab
>>
>>17686680
The truck was overheating yes. It was what made me look. There was coolant spewed around the cap and tank. I always keep a jug of coolant incase. But that's what i figure with the intake too its just worrisome. Thanks
>>
>>17686668
Yes, it's one of the more fun to drive cheap cars. Only thing is it's not fast in a straight line with stock engine.
>>
What's a RWD that handles great and is around $5,000 that isn't a Miata?
Does anything else compare in that price range?
>>
Did my first spark plug change. It went fairly smoothly. My dumbass drove to the store because I forgot anti sieze and I realized I couldn't change them while the engine was hot so I put my seats back and watched a movie with all the doors open. Even an hour later I still burned myself on the head because it hadn't cooled all the way.

/blog

Anyways, so what should I do with these old plugs? Just toss them in the recycling bin?
>>
>>17686847
E36
>>
>>17686660
I know one of you guys has it, please post
>>
File: IMG_20170808_194435.jpg (2MB, 2952x2412px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170808_194435.jpg
2MB, 2952x2412px
>>17665191
Trying to get my popups to work. Looks like one of the relays had an "accident" what would cause this? As far as I can tell the wires themselves aren't touching. How can I avoid this problem?
>>
File: a33032733b237e41f27710fe8cea2505.jpg (298KB, 2064x1512px) Image search: [Google]
a33032733b237e41f27710fe8cea2505.jpg
298KB, 2064x1512px
How to make a geo tracker look cooler?
>>
>>17667064
Then no. If the spirit R wasn't sold in the US, and its under 25 years old, then that VIN that you covet so much is going to be what screws you. Nobody will care past that point.
>>
>>17686682
>guibo
it was a recent purchase so i dont know for certain, I dont see why itd have a flex joint because its a straight swap from a 280zx. ill look when I get the chance, as it could be a blown U-join or flex disc
>>
File: car.png (8KB, 532x273px) Image search: [Google]
car.png
8KB, 532x273px
>>17686694
Thanks for the attention but it's not Saab. Their flagship car's rear looks something like this, pay attention to the back grill and the ciruclar, central exhaust, or at least I so remember, might be wrong here and there. It's a really exotic car based on an airplane and I don't remember its name.
>>
>>17687168
Spyker C8?
>>
>>17687185
Yup that's it, thank you!
>>
>>17687061
Relay stuck open and the Fuse wasn't low enough to stop it.
>>
>>17687081
Cut/widen the fenders, get at least a 3in lift kit, steelies bigger tires, & paint the bitch olive green or any matte color.
>>
>>17687153
Worn U-joints usually make noise at lower speeds and vibrate at higher speeds.
>>
>>17687382
Damn that's actually a pretty good start, thanks bro. I was thinking some kinda bar or skid plate but that may be too autistic. A hard top would be banging though.
>>
'03 Elantra AC sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Drained it and recharged it correctly, when it works it works fine, but when it doesn't, it's reading over the pressure it should. Any ideas? I'm not overly handy at car repair, I primarily survive on YouTube tutorials when I can actually identify the problem.
>>
File: iris.jpg (21KB, 1000x416px) Image search: [Google]
iris.jpg
21KB, 1000x416px
I'm planning on purchasing a used 2010 Dodge Challenger RT with <55,000 miles for $20,000. Is that a good deal or should I look for a better deal or car?

I'm new to /o/ so I don't know if it's a meme car or not.
>>
>>17665234
I DD a 28 year old Bronco, and the answer as mentioned before is a definite maybe. Prior care and maintenance will make your life infinitely easier owning an older vehicle. In the 2 years I've owned this truck, there hasn't been anything that went wrong I couldn't fix myself, but I'm mechanically inclined and I'm not afraid to fix the shit. Nothing major has failed that kept it off the road except a major brake failure, and that would've been a non-issue if it had been maintained better. Keep an eye out for rust on older cars, which should be obvious, but merits mention regardless. I don't work on it every week, but I could, and there's a lot of little shit I'd like to fix up to improve quality of life. It's almost entirely minor, though. Window seals, power door motors, some minor wiring shit, stuff of that nature. Even with early EFI systems, shit is easier, and the vehicles tend to have more accessibility in the engine bay which is a major plus. I'm also due for a complete suspension overhaul, but that's again a symptom of the truck being abused for 20+ years before I owned it.

All that being said, I love seeing classic cars in great shape being driven around, so I'm all for other people purchasing older cars, even if they are fixer-uppers. There's also a cool factor that comes with driving an older car that's in good shape. Even though my truck is kinda beat-up, I still get compliments on a pretty regular basis.
>>
File: file.png (851KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
851KB, 1280x720px
Need to start commuting about an hour each way every day for a new job in bullshit stop-and-go traffic.

Is a 98 LS400 with about 150k miles a bad idea? These things are just Toyota's, don't they run forever?
>>
>>17688336
No that would be great. Variants of the LS400 engine are used in planes and boats.
>>
File: my shitbox XD.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
my shitbox XD.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I am curious as to what this is on my car
>>
>>17688692
Resonator
>>
I really want an 80s MR2 but can't find any for hundreds of miles. Any Bros in Ohio have one for sale.
>>
>>17687389
it's super hard to tell because the fucker is so damn loud inside. Im running open carbs and a bigger than stock engine. ill cruise in second and see what I hear. I imagine the synchros in the tranny are starting to go because even when just trying to shift into reverse with clutch fully depressed I get grinding unless I slam it in, which I now have to do.
>>
File: 1496095515727.jpg (393KB, 1244x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1496095515727.jpg
393KB, 1244x1280px
my corolla is making a diesel clattering noise when i let off the clutch (especially on hill starts) i read it may be detonation but ive been putting the proper octane fuel in and the timing doesnt seem to be off so i dont know what the fuck it is
sound doesnt increase with engine speed so its prob not a fucked rod bearing either
anyone know what it is? please give me a non expensive answer
>>
Engine swap
Turbocharging

In general which is better/cheaper/more practical route to get more power out of NA engine?
>>
File: theface.png (166KB, 287x278px) Image search: [Google]
theface.png
166KB, 287x278px
I'm going to be replacing the breather system on my 2001 Volvo V70 T5 since I'm blowing a lot of smoke from my dipstick and exhaust. I'm 90% sure it's just the PCV system, but there's always the possibility it's the turbo. I have been more than a little rough on it. Question is, who makes a decent replacement that's not $1000. The OEM part is a little outside my comfortable spending zone for this vehicle.
>>
Why do you push in the clutch when you're doing a handbreak turn?
>>
>>17690193
The drive train doesn't appreciate being put under a lot of stress.
>>
File: 00S0S_7UIoc0ZD3JB_1200x900.jpg (179KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
00S0S_7UIoc0ZD3JB_1200x900.jpg
179KB, 1200x900px
I summon Stolen Recaros you beautiful faggot (or anyone familiar)
Im looking at this car this weekend for my 16yr old bro as a dd.
150k mi
I plan on bringing a friend/mech out to check it and do a compression check and leak-down test.

Anything specific with this 2004 model I should look out for? Inherent issues? Its a company car with recorded maintenance.
All stock.
Any input is appreciated
Link:

https://orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/2004-saturn-ion-redline/6250198412.html
>>
My shitty $20 walmart jack leaked out all the hydraulic fluid and wont lift more than an inch or so. Time to toss it? I've already got a 3 ton jack from harbor freight.
>>
>>17690348
If the harbor freight is the low profile aluminum floor jack, those are pretty good. Toss the walmart one regardless, it's ded.
>>
How hard would it be to drive without power steering? I drive a 3rd gen eclipse if it matters.

I have a hose leaking and my "honest" mechanic says the whole rack and pinion need replaced, and quoted me $675. I don't want to put any more money into this turd.
>>
Would putting a Nissan SR20DET engine to a Mercedes Benz 190/W201 be good or retarded idea?
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.