[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck is the difference between 4WD and AWD?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: 1496272553853.jpg (86KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
1496272553853.jpg
86KB, 1024x680px
What the fuck is the difference between 4WD and AWD?
>>
center diff
>>
>>17659355
AWD varies power between the wheels to get maximum grip possible.

4WD is consistent power to all 4 wheels.
>>
AWD lives outside the box. He doesn't limit itself to a mere 4 wheels.
>>
File: JEEP.jpg (130KB, 940x636px) Image search: [Google]
JEEP.jpg
130KB, 940x636px
It is a sort of funny distinction that I have wondered about too.
Sounds like the answers given above answer it.
In my mind it has been that 4WD is something you engage occasionally for getting through difficult situations, where AWD is a full-time performance design.
>>
4wd has a transfer case. It's like a second transmission of sorts. This allows for a hi range and low range. AWD does not have this. It's weaker but lighter.
>>
>>17659412
There's such thing as full time 4wd. The H2 was full time, which is why is got 9mpg. The new manual FJ cruiser was also full time while the automatic is part time.

Full time 4wd is true 50/50. Part time is slightly off, the wheels spin at a different rate, which is why they usually don't recommend going faster than 50mph usually.
>>
>>17659355
AWD handles much better than 4WD. I can say this because I've owned an Audi.
>>
>>17659467
>The H2 was full time, which is why is got 9mpg

I thought it had more to do with the car weighing just shy of 7000 pounds.
>>
>>17659518
Nope it's got all 4 wheels turning at all times. I mean the weight was part of it.
>>
>>17659467
True 4wd isn't full time, that is by definition AWD.

Also 4wd mechanically links all 4 wheels with a transfer case, Awd uses a fluid coupling or a center differential to distrubute power.

And no the wheels can't "spin at different rates" in AWD or 4WD, it would bind up the drive train on regardless of what you drove on. AWD use slippage in fluid coupling/center Diff, and 4WD have to have roughly the same ratios in front and back, with minor slippage at the wheels.
>>
>>17659355
Mostly marketing. There can be some engineering differences but those have become less over the years.
>>
>>17659355
AWD: power goes to all wheels

4WD: power goes to 4 wheels
>>
4WD: transfer case, can be disengaged, mainly used for off-roading

AWD: Center diff, always engaged, used mainly in street-oriented cars
>>
>>17659355
They are interchangeable. There are different types of 4WD/AWD systems, and these vary by different manufacturers. The best thing to do is to research how it works in a specific model.
>>
>>17659551
Please educate yourself

http://www.4x4abc.com/4WD101/def_turnpart.html
>>
>>17659576
I agree.
>>
I think 4WD is a pretty cool guy, eh turns all the wheels at the same time and doesn't afraid of anything
>>
>>17659355
AWD uses a centre differential or similar system. Used all the time.

4WD is part time and uses a transfer case to select 4WD when needed. 2WD when on road and when not needed. The transfer case can also enable low range without an additional gearbox
>>
>>17659647
I appreciate your oldfaggotry
>>
Can you do burnouts with AWD?
>>
>>17659647
This meme could come back and I would be ok with that
>>
which one is better for snowy areas?
>>
>>17659551
>And no the wheels can't "spin at different rates" in AWD or 4WD, it would bind up the drive train on regardless of what you drove on.

>t. Someone who doesn't know what the fuck a differential is

Amerilard I presume?
>>
>>17661093
4WD because they typically have more clearance. You also get low range.
>>
this shit can be googled anon
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.