[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car Overheats At Idle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_7057.jpg (51KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7057.jpg
51KB, 500x315px
So the other day my gf was coming to see me from about an hour away. About halfway here her check engine light came on and she noticed the temperature gauge was all the way up, so she pulls over and steam starts coming out of the hood.

We get it towed and take it to a shop the next day, where they tell us that the upper radiator hose is blown and the thermostat is stuck. This seems to make sense, so we get the radiator rose fixed and the coolant flushed since that's all we could afford in the mean time. While driving it home she notices that it's a little shaky when driving.

The next day her roommate brings it in to get the thermostat replaced, but while she's driving it back the car seems to overheat every time she stops. She turns around and brings it to the store and they run the check engine light code into the computer and tell her that she blew a head gasket.

From everything I've read online a blown head gasket wouldn't result in an overheating engine specifically at idle. I also find it extremely fishy that the overheating problem seemed to be fixed when the radiator hose was replaced but then it started back up again after they replaced the thermostat.

Any thoughts? She's drives a '99 Honda Accord, automatic transmission.
>>
Bampppp. Would really like an opinion on this from anyone who can, I know it's not much info but it's the best I got.
>>
does car seem like it lost power from before it had any issues? is it smoking?

id start by doing basic checks that are simple. look for leaking oil or coolant externally or on ground. pull oil dipstick or oil fill cap and check if it is milky looking. if you have a compression gauge check all cylinders for compression. these are all simple checks that can be quickly done. other checks require pressurizing the cooling system and doing a leakdown check on all cylinders.

i have seen a water pump failing cause overheating at idle. that mixed with a faulty fan clutch will not allow radiator coils to effeciently cool while sitting idle.

also get the code pulled and get the code number. that will help a lot in diagnosis.
>>
>>17659183
The coolant levels have been fine and it's been smoking from the engine, not from the tailpipe which is why I'm questioning the head gasket diagnosis.
>>
do you mean a little shaky as in engine running rough? that is a tell tale of gasket cracked in between cylinders or a cracked cylinder head. if it was caught quick enough the head should be fine as gasket will go before head will crack on those engines.
>>
>>17656987
If she overheated it there is a very good chance the HG is blown and the cylinder head possibly warped.
>>
OP it's fucked. The Head gasket is gone like the mechanic says it's not even drivable. Enjoy your $1000 repair bill, that's what you get for falling for the Honda meme.
>>
>>17656987
A blown headgasket could cause it to overheat. Check the oil, if it looks like a chocolate milkshake, you are fucked.

Could also be the fan sensor switch. It essentially reads the coolant temp and tells the fan when to turn on, which is usually at a stop. You can nigger rig the switch until you get a new part by jamming a paper clip into the plug, but the fan will always be on, which is better than over heating. If the fan sensor switch is the issue, buy it from a dealership. Seriously, I had this issue in my 99 Civic, I went through 3 Autozone parts in 2 months until I gave up and went to the dealer and bought one. I never had a problem after that.
>>
>>17659268
Headgaskets can also blow between the combustion chamber and coolant jacket. That's how my scoobydoo blew. It wouldn't milkshake the oil this way, it would be blowing exhaust bubbles out of the coolant reservoir while it's running.
>>
The headgasket being blown pressurizes your cooling system, which is why you ran into the other problems.

Buy another car.
>>
>>17659268
What this guy said. I had the same issue with my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Anytime I came to a stop at a red light for any length of time or just idling in place for several minutes my engine would overheat. Replacing the fan sensor took care of the issue. It was a pretty fucking cheap solution too.
>>
>>17656987
When the car is moving, air goes through the radiator which cools it. When it's idle, it needs the fans to do the work of blowing the air. Check the fans. They should turn on when the temperature reaches a certain threshold. If they don't it could be a sensor or the fan motor is bad.

If you suspect it's a blown head gasket, there are kits to test for that. If it tests positive and you don't have the money to fix it properly, there are gasket sealers that might work.
>>
>>17656987
Check and see if the fans are working at idle.
>>
>>17656987
Check your oil color, if it's white or creamy at all, it's probably a head gasket. If not I'm thinking water pump.
>>
>>17656987
Get a new radiator and/or fan and water pump for the hell of it
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.