[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is CVT still unbearably shit nowadays, or have car companies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: CVT_kek.jpg (641KB, 544x546px) Image search: [Google]
CVT_kek.jpg
641KB, 544x546px
Is CVT still unbearably shit nowadays, or have car companies made strides to improve it?
>>
The concept itself is flawed to hell and only appropriate for low torque cars where it doesn't matter anyways.

You can't fuck with basic physics. It's what it is.
>>
>>17651338
Why? It's essentially infinite gear ratios.
>>
>>17651279
More of a mathematical idealization than a properly engineered application
>>
I've never driving a CVT, but I'm a little curious what all the fuss is about.

I'm borrowing a CVT Civic this weekend as a loaner from a dealership. Will post results.
>>
>>17651279

It's good for a daily driver ecobox, the properly engineered modern ones are pretty good. Fuck them on anything else though. They don't belong on anything that has even a slight chance of being driven with the intention of being fun.
>>
>>17652266
Apparently 55% of WRX buyers disagree with you. Just think, Subaru might remove the option for manual and leave us with just the CVT.
>>
I've head the nissan ones are very prone to overheat with a little while of highway speed.
>>
>>17651279
i wish they would improve it because its such a cool concept
>>
>>17652970
>trusting Subarufag opinions
Their CVT gets worse mpg than the fucking manual, you'd have to be a special kind of idiot to accomplish something like that.
>>
Honda is the only one to make a proper CVT.
>>
I want a manually controlled cvt it seems like it would be fun
>>
my 14 corolla has a cvt and it provides a smooth ride and good economy. thats all its good for
>>
>>17652077
It feels...weird

Like your missing something.

Which is obviously shifting but still it feels kinda off.
>>
I had a 2010 mitsubishi lancer with the CVT gearbox. Dailying it was 100% fine, zero issue. You could just accelerate from the lights and hold it at 2krpm until you were at 80kmh or so.

But oh god, try and push it hard and it pushes back. After about a minute of flooring it and braking, the whining from the gearbox would be fucking loud as. I think I eventually cooked the oil and oil temp sensor inside the CVT because the cvt was fucked after that. At least I sold it today.
>>
>>17653078
How would that even work? You'd have to have like a wheel or something that you turn to cycle through a potentially limitless number of 'gears'
>>
>>17653058
I kek'd. You're right though, you from manuals to autos, from autos to CVTs, all in the quest for fuel economy and efficiency...aaand you manage to make a cutting edge transmission both less efficient and less fun than 100 year old technology. top Kek Subaru, top Kek.
>>
>>17653779
That actually sounds fucking awesome. Imagine having a knob you can turn to select the exact ratio you want, or press a button in the centre to keep it locked to whatever peak horsepower is for pulls. I would unironically drive a CVT if someone created this. Bring on the manually controlled CVTs.
>>
>>17651279
CVT and DCT lived short lives, and are already dying in favor of standard automatics, which are getting crazy fast.
>>
>>17654110
wow who knew that having 8 gears to make better use of the powerband could make a car faster

TEN SPEED SEQUENTIAL DOGBOXES IN SPORTSCARS FUCKING WHEN REEEE
>not DD-able
EXPLAIN MOTORCYCLES
>can't take power
EXPLAIN RALLY CARS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>17653862
That would be pretty awesome but it would be the most technically difficult transmission to learn. Like manuals are all muscle memory but something like this would be all about being able to conceptualize and understand what gear ratios are doing what and when. It would be challenging but rewarding I think.
>>
>>17654132
Just make the interface like a motorcycle throttle, but without the return spring. You'd get used to "shifting" into different gears (without interrupting power) pretty fast, especially if it had clicks instead of a smooth travel.
>>
>>17651279
>>17654162
>>
>>17651279
I have a subaru forester xt. Its got a cvt and its not bad. Car accelerates well for 29k
>>
>>17652970
Trusting normies?
Are you retarded?
>>
>>17654160
That's a pretty good idea actually, as long as you make the clicks subtle enough to not feel disruptive
>>
>>17653025
It's true. I tested a Nissan Versa CVT and after 5 miles on the highway, it begins slipping like a mad cunt and an error message came up that said: "transmission overheat". On a Brand-new car.
>>
>>17651279
It's still unbearably shit and always will be
>>
Honda make perfect ones
>>
>>17654840
Funny, I've driven multiple Nissan's consistently for the past 2 years and I've never seen that message. I'm not very gentle with them either.
>>
>>17654132
It's not for brainlets
>>
>>17651279
I recently drove a new Nissan Maxima SR and it was alright. Using the sport mode with the programmed shift points helped a lot. What I took away from it was that the car was good despite the CVT and not because of it.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.