[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I always wondered about brakes and braking distance - a lot of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: toyota-supra-sketch-1.jpg (58KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
toyota-supra-sketch-1.jpg
58KB, 1024x683px
I always wondered about brakes and braking distance - a lot of accidents are caused because brakes take a while to stop the car, right? Like 150 feet or something before a car going 60mph comes to a stop.

Why hasn't anyone made a brake that immediately stops the car? Like, no matter how fast the car is moving, as soon as you hit the brake the car completely stops moving immediately? I feel as though if anyone invented this a lot of accidents could be avoided.
>>
Most brakes can bring the wheels to a complete stop instantly if you push your foot all the way down. The problem is the tire then skids across the pavement because the momentum of the vehicle overcomes the friction between tire and road. Have you never seen skidmarks in a movie or safe driving PSA? Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>17646120
lmao this started off so nice and constructive
>>
>>17646120
ive seen skid marks, but are you saying there's no way to just sort of cancel or delete the momentum of the car
>>
>>17646120
This. The brakes can bring the tires to a complete stop just fine. The issue is that the Earth is rotating and the car slides across it.
>>
>>17646110
Almost all brakes can stop the wheels immediately, its the tires that can't hold the frictional forces being imposed on them.

>>17646129
Nope not unless you find way to violate physical laws.

>>17646126
It literally is a retarded question.
>>
>>17646129
>there's no way to just sort of cancel or delete the momentum of the car
Absolutely there is. Just mount a cannon that fires forward with enough power to cancel out your momentum.

This will absolutely make you the safest thing on the road. Guaranteed.
>>
>>17646129
>car traveling at 80 mph
>suddenly stops
>passengers die because of the force of decelerating from 80->0 in an instant
>>
>>17646129
just rig your tail anchors to deploy under hard braking.,,.its 2017 I thought everyone did this
>>
>>17646110
>Why hasn't anyone made a brake that immediately stops the car?
It's called a wall, and if you hit it, it will fuck you up.
>>
>>17646110
There's static and kinetic friction.
Have you ever had to push something really heavy across the floor, like a refrigerator? If you noticed, it's easier to keep the refrigerator moving than it is to get it moving, this is because kinetic friction is weaker than static friction.
So when you hit the brakes on a car, there is kinetic friction between the pads and the rotors because you want all the friction you can get between the tires and pavement
>>
File: 1446523272472.jpg (102KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1446523272472.jpg
102KB, 600x450px
Because driver would look like pic related after breaking
>>
>>17646408
immediate stop = infinite g-forces
>>
There's ways to improve it certainly. The C7 has a 60mph stopping distance of 90 feet, almost half the average. The type of tires you use play a huge part, plenty of brakes are capable of applying the necessary stopping force but few tires can take the friction. A good set of racing slicks can stop way faster than your average cheap all seasons.
>tl;dr if you want to be safe dd a racecar
>>
>>17646143
Earth's rotation plays little to no effect here...
>>
>>17646433
I imagine some 355 wide slicks with some 12 piston brakes would do the trick.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.