/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I buy a Trabant?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Trabant 601 (5).jpg (75KB, 730x547px) Image search: [Google]
Trabant 601 (5).jpg
75KB, 730x547px
This would technically be my first car. I recently moved out and have been taking public transportation around and have saved up a bit of money. Trabants are generally cheap and reliable cars (especially later models) and VERY basic to maintain with a HUGE selection of replacement parts and great mpg. Problem would be imports to USA and possible maintenance issues due to it being a bit old. Might have to restore one. Any thoughts?
>>
Absolutely not. That's a terrible idea.
>>
>>17634472
Why so?
>>
Dad dailies one.You have to be very handy on mech stuff.Plus it takes a shitton more skill to ride a two stroke car.You would be better off with any kind of jap shitboxes
>>
great idea!

don't forget to get pink hair and those dinner plates into your ear lobes!
>>
>>17634459
>first car
No. I wouldn't buy one unless you had a second car and lots of experience wrenching. It's also so goddamn slow that it is actually dangerous in modern US traffic.
>>
File: $_86.jpg (164KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
$_86.jpg
164KB, 1024x576px
>>17634459

Get a 90's shitbox like a fiesta or something if you need storage or having passengers.

Otherwise get a honda c90, cheapest good looking bike and pretty much zero maintenance
>>
>>17634459
I'm going to say what I said over on /n/, just in case you don't see it there:

You absolutely should not import 25+ year old Soviet-blok car to the USA if you are looking for cheap and reliable transportation.

Importing it will be a bitch. It will cost money. Registering it legally will be a bitch, and perhaps impossible depending on what state you live in.

No matter how reliable they were, it'll be a 25-year old car (minimum), and things will break. Regularly. Owning an old car is an exercise in never-ending paranoia. "What was that noise? Is that a bad noise or a good noise? Was it doing that last week? Isn't that the same noise it made right before {x} broke last month? Do I smell burning oil? Is that a new stain on the driveway, or is that an old one?" etc etc etc.

>a HUGE selection of replacement parts

In eastern Germany and surrounding areas. Not in the USA. You won't be able to go crawl your local junkyard for spars, or get your local auto store to order a part for you. When something breaks, you'll have to wait for a part to ship from overseas, or bodge your own solution.

If you're on a budget and looking for a cheap and reliable first car, quite trying to be an extra-special snowflake and buy a mid-2000s Toyota Corolla.
>>
>>17634493
>OP here
Ok thank you
>>
>>>/paying-import-prices-for-one-of-the-worst-cars-of-all-time/

yeah, go look up import prices for parts, let alone trabants themselves, and we have rickety slapped together shitboxes here in the US too, theyre called pontiacs
>>
>>17634459
>first car
>wants reliable
do you even know what two-stroke means?
>wants to be a special snowflake
buy an 80's econobox
/thread
>>
>>17634459
Why don't you move to Germany instead, OP?
>>
> Wanting a car that symbolises communism and opression

It's a shit car and go fuck yourself snowflake, literally a China made scooter is better
>>
Out of all the Soviet cars you could get, you want the one with the worst reliability and the lowest build quality. It's a 2-stroke for fuck's sake.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.