[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are miata's fun?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 14

File: miata.jpg (72KB, 626x382px) Image search: [Google]
miata.jpg
72KB, 626x382px
I am considering getting one for a "fun" car, but i noticed that they are really slow. Can anyone explain to me why i should get one, or give me better alternatives? I want a fun car i can learn mechanical wizardry on, while it being fun.
>>
It's not a highway cruiser, it's a mountain road carver. >200bhp is fine for a miata-sized car. For the style of roads it's designed for, you're more interested in suspension setup than straight-line speed anyway.
Too many amerifats on this board that have never driven on a proper twisty mountain road shit on these, miatas are fantastic cars
>>
File: 24275212195_ee09fb4170_k.jpg (1MB, 1552x2048px) Image search: [Google]
24275212195_ee09fb4170_k.jpg
1MB, 1552x2048px
>>17628217
>but i noticed that they are really slow.

>implying you need a fast car to have fun
>not learning how to appreciate slow car fast
>not learning how to better your driving skill
>not knowing that working on your driving skill will benefit you more than buying a fast car.

Do I really need to say anything else

Also this >>17628351
>Too many amerifats on this board that have never driven on a proper twisty mountain road shit on these, miatas are fantastic cars

T. Amerifat who owns a Miata
>>
If you want a car you can go "fast" on the highway and never learn anything about driving then get a mustang.
>>
It's the because they are light and Rear wheel drive.
Small and nimble, with good handling. Slightly underpowered, but still a fun car to drive, especially in the wet
>>
>>17628217
I think if you want a fun car you'll have to go drive it to see if it's fun for you or not.

My old Mazda 323 with all of 76HP or whatever was possibly the most fun car I've ever had. It's up for debate. I was thinking of getting a Miat but wound up in a BRZ due to reasons and it's pretty fun and probably the right mix of practicality vs. a Miat for my situation, but it's kind of askance from my idea of fun.
>>
NA, NB, NC, ND?
>>
>>17628217

Honda s2000
>>
Ok let's say you would race on a mountain versus another car like the wrx (blobeye to be fair). If both drivers are the same skilled, would the miata win in that race?
>>
Fun isn't always in a straight line. Tackling twisty mountain roads on a mild afternoon with the top down is surreal joy.

The only imperfect thing of those cars is the fucking faggot name they tacked on in the early 90s which has given it the unfortunate reputation of """"girls car""" despite the fact when comparing percentages of ownership, Mustangs have a larger share of female drivers.

>>17628444
ND
>>
>>17628477
What are you talking about? Are you going to spend your time racing other cars on mountains?

I can say as a former OBS owner that the basic bugeye era of Impreazas are intrinsically fun and effective even when they're underpowered, and even better in WRX format because it actually has power.

The question is whether that's fun for you or whether you get more grins out of a light little RWD roadster that has Nippon reliability rather than British.
>>
>>17628477
Theoretically, with professional drivers utilizing the car at it's peak limits on a closed course, yes.

In reality, 99% of racing ability is the driver, which is why spec miata and spec E30 are a thing. A pro driver in a subie will destroy a regular person in a miata any day. You see miatas destroy supercars on track all the time, because the average supercar owner can't dedicate a full-time job amount practice for racing
>>
File: 1014587978.jpg (54KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1014587978.jpg
54KB, 625x626px
>>17628477
>>17628487
>>17628491
>>
>>17628602
Not bait my friend. Let's just say i have some friends with wrx's who think they are the shit.
>>
Miatas aren't "really slow," they're average. A Miata has the same power as a 4cyl 4-door whatever of the same era, only it weighs 500-1000 less and has shorter gearing so it goes faster.

That said it's not fast like a performance car. The only time I didn't have fun in mine was over 65 on the highway. You don't stand out at those speeds or higher.

The real fun is everything else. You're totally plugged into the car and it goes exactly where you point it. You can drive around town or twisty roads with brakes--just tearing around corners like a crazy person. It's the purest driving experience you can get.

I have a V8 Mustang now and it's only fun flooring it in a straight line. It's boring to drive around town.
>>
>>17628614
That would be the stereotypical WRX driver for the past number of years. There's a reason why they're one of the most expensive cars to insure and have a very high rate of being pulled over. Kind of turned the old Subaru scene from nerdy car guys who were hype as fuck they finally brought it to the US into fanboi retards.

Pick whatever makes you excited about it and you won't be as concerned about what's supposed to be fun or supposed to be faster or whatever.
>>
>>17628660
>That said it's not fast like a performance car. The only time I didn't have fun in mine was over 65 on the highway. You don't stand out at those speeds or higher.
>The real fun is everything else. You're totally plugged into the car and it goes exactly where you point it. You can drive around town or twisty roads with brakes--just tearing around corners like a crazy person. It's the purest driving experience you can get.

^
>>
>>17628660
I really do like the miata, But racing is something i want to do as a hobby. I am getting a brand new fiat abarth/miata next year, but i do not want to race something like that. That would be my car for getting laid (bitches love fiats and miatas) and track days. I want a car that would help me improve essentially.
>>
>>17628746

Cars don't improve you and not many chicks outside of high school or bar sluts will fuck you for the car you own. Worst dates I ever had were with girls who thought a guy with a cool car (my old Miata) were SOOO HOT.
>>
>>17628217
Driving slowly is more fun than driving quickly. Anyone who's done any amount of racing will attest to that.
>>
>>17628891
Had a drunk girl once make advances on me because I thought her busted MR2 was cool. Thanks but no thanks. Probably the guys who give motorcycle rides have it best since the girl has to grab on to you and it's quite the kind of visceral thrill and psychological superiority that goes beyond car guy sperg.
>>
File: June-04-2011005a.jpg (128KB, 1023x595px) Image search: [Google]
June-04-2011005a.jpg
128KB, 1023x595px
Do you consider smoking tires fun? I sure do:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBVcqctQO3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXxdB5KHMso
>>
>>17628351

100% this. In a straight line there is nothing to it. Today i went up and down the mountain and it was ton of fun to throw it into the corners.
>>
>>17628916
holy jesus he's driving barefoot, what a douche. im hoping this isn't the typical Miata driver.
>>
File: VaultBoyFO3.png (393KB, 1116x1143px) Image search: [Google]
VaultBoyFO3.png
393KB, 1116x1143px
>>17628217

I guess if you like driving slow and zipping around corners like a faggot they are a good meme car. Fun? get something either fast, offroad capable, or you have a real interest in owning.

protip: Miatas are the #1 gay car in the USA. Just look it up.
>>
>>17628491
Lol no
>>
>>17628362
What ever helps you sleep at night.
But your car is slow as fuck.
>>
>>17628217
Get a turd gen Clamato. Sky is the limit on power.
>>
Miatas are stupid fun, yes their slower than muscle cars and even some minivans but I promise the fun you get out of them is worth it.

Their literally fucken go karts, if you ever driven a go Kart its pretty slow too but damn are they fun to throw around
>>
>>17628746

I got an ND, was consering the fiata(dat exhaust note) but the miata is the better choice. The ND is funnest I have ever had in a car and Ive been in some damn good cars with way more power.

Light weight, balanced good handling > Raw Power on a heavy car
>>
hmm yea i am really considering a miata. How easy are they to work on. I have no mechanical experience with cars, but i have some in like computers and guns. If anything breaks could i just fix it myself or with some friends?
>>
im not a huge miata fan, i do like roadsters though

im just here to say that jeeps are the #1 gay car of the USA.
>>
>>17632857
NA & NB are fucking ridiculously easy to work on. NC less so, but still pretty easy. ND seems to have gone back to being like the NA/NB.
>>17632288
One thing I'm really learning to appreciate about my ND Club is the suspension setup. Initially I was grumpy about the body roll, but then I started taking it out on trashed bumpy lumpy curvy country roads and loved how they don't unsettle the car like they would those other two. So now I'm wondering if the various things that people do to eliminate the roll would make the car skittish on shitass roads.
>>
File: 20170715_101606.jpg (4MB, 4032x2268px) Image search: [Google]
20170715_101606.jpg
4MB, 4032x2268px
>>17632288
>but the miata is the better choice
wholeheartedly disagree anon
>>
>>17632979
Both cars are fantastic. The only advantage the fiat has however is the built in turbo. Also tuning is easy and you can get it up to 200+hp easily.
>>
>>17628477
>would the miata win in that race?

who the fuck cares? this is real life, not a video game.
>>
File: 1501163412021.jpg (736KB, 2180x1662px) Image search: [Google]
1501163412021.jpg
736KB, 2180x1662px
>>17628444
Which one is the easiest to wrench?
>>
File: typical MX-5 driver.jpg (1MB, 1280x1119px) Image search: [Google]
typical MX-5 driver.jpg
1MB, 1280x1119px
I'm considering to get an MX-5 to be the doner car for a future project
>>
>>17633130
NA = NB, NC is worse and ND probably the worst, obviously.
>>
File: Capture4334.png (771KB, 971x668px) Image search: [Google]
Capture4334.png
771KB, 971x668px
>>17628351
i'd love to tackle this road in my fiesta
>>
File: 8ex3P.jpg (89KB, 600x340px) Image search: [Google]
8ex3P.jpg
89KB, 600x340px
>>17633169

Ford Fiesta driftaruuu?
>>
>>17633169
>having fun in switchbacks with FF car
do people seriously do this?
>>
my god, miata prices are skyrocketing. 5,000 dollars for one? seriously? Why not just go with a manuel rx-8?
>>
there is nothing more satisfying than flying around a 90-degree corner, rolling on the power early and dipping the tires into the gutter at the apex as you feel the back end step out and the car turns like a fucking jet fighter. Thrust vectoring owns the sky, turn on a dime macross zero style etc.
You can scare the shit out of your passenger driving a Miata close to its limit, it looks for all the world like you're going to go skidding off the road but the goddamn car just has grip for days. If you are a smooth driver you can go faster than just about anything but a motorcycle, and you'll probably be faster than most regular motorcyclists.
The Miata's low power makes it so you can get back on the gas very quickly after braking and instead of going sideways or understeering the thing just hooks up like it's on rails.

Absolutely nothing else drives like it. It's as practical as a 3-box coupe with a plastic roof can be. It's as reliable as a Volvo 240 and just slow enough to keep you out of trouble.
>>
>>17628217
>miatas are slow

Only if you're a pansy who drives slow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ3x462rlmg
>>
>>17633308
>posts a suped up more money in upgrades than the car was bought for miata in defense of miatas being slow
>>
>>17631000
Yeah no shit retard and i still enjoy it every single time I drive it.
>>
Guys wtf, they are getting so fucking expensive now. i might have to get something else. What do yall think of the mazda rx8?
>>
>>17633554
it's the summer, of course they're expensive.
>>
>>17633904
do they go down in price? especially by the winter?
>>
love my miata, have a 95

Really wanted something faster though... just bought an s2k Great car, but its my dd and i didn't want to deal with all the problems that come with a turbo. Enjoyed it for what it was, but im ready for something a little more powerful. S2k is more in the power range I wanted without having to drill a hole in the oil pan, do a coolant reroute, etc
>>
>>17632979
the ND trans is highly superior.
>>
>>17630963
>holy jesus he's driving barefoot, what a douche. im hoping this isn't the typical Miata driver.
I drive mine barefoot. the seat is too high for me to heel-toe so I will be ordering a bucket seat
>>
>>17633152
Confirmed for never driving the ND, which is objectively the best

NC<NB=NA<ND
>>
>>17633988
Start shopping in mid October
Fresh enough to have not been sitting, but just getting cold enough for people to not want to drive them
>>
>>17635337
Can you read? He was rating them in terms of how easy they are to work on.
>>
Miatas, especially na, are for betafags and poorfags who have to delude themselves that they're having fun so they don't feel bad about being poor and bitches.
>slow car fast, have fun under the speed limit!
Nah, you're just a bitch if you're scared to speed and can't afford anything with some power. Going fast is much more fun. I have driven my mom's na miata a couple times when she's come up to visit me. It's boring as fuck compared to my car, the only advantage it would have to me is being really low.
>>
V8 Landbarge babbies should watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdBuwzRAEAw
>>
>>17635489
I haven't wrenched on my ND cos I just got it, but from what I've seen it's dead fucking simple. But I'm coming from a car that was a typical European cunt to work on so my expectations are askew.
>>
>>17628217
> "Why should I get a miata"

To put in perspective how fast a miata can corner I took a turn rated for 30mph at 85 and maintained traction. Didn't even leave a tire mark. I was showing off to a passenger and he never called the car gay again.
>>
Have you ever driven one? The numbers make it look like shite but you seriously need to drive one on a twisty road to understand. For the price you pay, especially for the NA, not many RWD cars are as fun. It's not a fast car, it's a fun car
>>
File: IMG_0858.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0858.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Is this the new miata general? Sup /mg/
>>
Just picked up a used ND. How far behind other cars do I have to drive to make sure I don't end up getting rock chips? The hood on my daily is fucked because of this
>>
I bought a foxbody for $2600 and sold it for $3500 one year later. The car was fun as hell, but chassis is sloppy as fuck and the turning radius sucked balls in parking lots.

Check out Miata prices for the fuck of it. People want $4-6k for some piece of shit 4 cylinder? LOL! Time to buy some other car I can flip for profit.
>>
>>17635504
>implying you need money for a fast car

anybody can get cheap power if they're willing to sacrifice reliability
>>
File: 20170725_172329(1).jpg (775KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20170725_172329(1).jpg
775KB, 2560x1440px
>>17630963
Why the fuck would it be an issue that I was barefoot? I'm genuinely confused as to why that could be construed as 'douchey' in any way.

Anyway, pic related from earlier this month, check 'em.
>227,777 mi
>>
>>17635504
>who have to delude themselves that they're having fun

sure is /v/ in here holy shit
mcfucking kill yourself
>>
File: IMG_20170728_145531_823.jpg (4MB, 2334x1774px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170728_145531_823.jpg
4MB, 2334x1774px
love my 96
>>
It's "oneness between horse and rider."

There are a lot of cars that are fun to drive, but cars that achieve that Oneness are extremely rare. The Miata just does. Some BWMs do,too.

If you don't feel that behind the wheel of a Miata, you're deficient and I feel sorry for you.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.