[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 315
Thread images: 37

File: 1375198041350.jpg (60KB, 580x346px) Image search: [Google]
1375198041350.jpg
60KB, 580x346px
Why aren't the internals of an engine completely submerged/filled with oil? You'd still have a pump for circulation to keep the oil moving
>>
huge frictional losses as the crank spins through the viscous fluid. it would be like trying to sprint in a pool.
>>
>>17625868
what happens if you fill a engine completely to the top?
>>
My car really likes to turn with ruts in the road or just turn with the bumps and valleys of the road in general to the point of it being a huge nuisance. It's more obvious when on the breaks (since the front tires get loaded more) and can be pretty bad on shitty roads like i-5 since they never smooth out the road and always leave pinches/ruts in it. But my tire wear for all 4 tires is spectacularly even. Should I go get my front end re-aligned or just not touch what could possibly be the best alignment for even tire wear ever.
>>
>>17625890
>>17625902

Things like frothing and pressure build up would blow piston rings and potentially crack some blocks. So shit would have to be even heavier to withstand those forces.

You could also potentially destroy timing chains and belts.

>>17625922
This is normal for most cars. Its even worse on motorcycles, The only real way to counter this is by getting wider tires and or wheels.
>>
>>17626163
Really? It doesnt happen with any other car i've driven (to the same extent) and i'm running 275s for my tires. It's hard to explain quite how bad it is but imagine it like this - if you were breaking (moderate, hard, soft, don't matter) and either one of your calipers just didn't compress. Or it feels like someone is tugging hard against the wheel. I'm using a braking example because its like 10x more prominent while braking than not.
>>
>>17626193
probably has to do with the geometry of your car making it more prone to follow bumps
>>
>>17626212
I considered that too, it has aftermarket springs that have lowered it about an inch and a half. I'm aware of what bumpsteer is, just trying to get input from other anons about it. If it is just bumpsteer luckily I can get a kit to help reduce it.
>>
>>17625922
>>17626193
>>17626226
A few things contribute to this.

Wider tyres make it worse
more camber makes it worse
less toe in makes it worse
bumpsteer can make it really noticeable

If you want an alignment to get rid of it you'll be standing the tyre up and reducing your neg camber and also getting a little bit more toe in. This will make the car super stable but also wear through tyres quicker than a setup with less toe.
I would just learn to deal with it. A good setup with wide tyres will follow bumps alot but will also drive well when the road is good condition. I guess it depends on whether you want a really agile car when you're driving hard and are willing to deal with it following.

On the braking problem I would inspect your bushings. a worn bushing that takes a lot of load under brake could mean the wheels fall out of alignment. Try and imagine the sort of loading your suspension would be under uder brakes and trace the bushings with the most load.
>>
>>17626268
I see, so theres a correlation between the tire wear and the tires following ruts. I've dealt with it since I've owned the car pretty much, about 4 years, so maybe I wont touch the alignment after all.
>>
I've found a listing for a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

>5.7L Hemi V8
>148,000 miles
>tow package
>$4000

VIN shows all regular maintenance at the dealership, and pictures show it to be in good cosmetic shape. I've set up an appointment to see it in the morning. If all goes well, is this a good deal? Should I go for it?
>>
What are the most reliable years of these cars post-2000s?
>mustang
>charger
>challenger
>camaro
>>
>>17626193
This sounds like a car I used to have. After actually checking it out, the rear trailing arm on the right side had literally no rubber left and the left side the rubber tore all the way around.
>>
>>17626345
I've only glanced at my bushings but they didn't look in too great condition so maybe that's something I should look into replacing real soon then.
>>
Can an average car stand being driven across all of America? I mean, being driven across each and every single US State except Alaska and Hawaii. Do cars have enough mileage for that?
>>
3 questions

>What are some reliable and trusted tuning companies?

>I hear Trifecta is actually shit. Is this true?

>Is the Buick Verano 2.0 turbo one of the best recent sleepers?
>>
Can someone do an engine swap in something like an old MR2 to avoid any reliability concerns?
Would it even be worth doing compared to just buying a newer civic type r or comparable car?
>>
>>17626449
yes, put a blacktop 20v 4age in it and it'll be super reliable
>>
>>17626382
Many cars in my town have over 200k miles on them. Shitboxes everywhere. My 04 Chevy Malibu had over 300k when I sold it. Last I heard it tipped 500k.
>>
>>17626458
I can't tell if you're meming or not.

Anyways I only have experience with motorcycles, I've never driven a cage.
>>
>>17626536
Not memeing. 4ages in general are reliable as fuck and the BT 4age is (slightly) newer agewise than what an aw11 mr2 came with.. You could also do a 16v instead of a 20v.
>>
>>17626285
I guess there is to some extent. Its really unavoidable with wider tyres and even slightly aggressive setups.

Everything is a compromise. the steup that wears the tyre the least won't be the best for regular driving, the setup that has grip adn doesn't wear the tyre will be very twitchy, and the setup that feels stable whilst providing grip will wear tyres quicker. Just gotta choose what you want most
>>
>>17626547
it doesnt really matter that the blacktop is newer because the entire valve train uses lightened components compared to red and bluetops so its worse with boost and has less reliability than a red/blue or even a silvertop
>>
>>17626578
>caring about boost
>>
>>17626585
whatever you can ignore the boost, but a 16v 4a will always be more content with sitting at high revs compared to the 20v engines, the 20vs just make more power from the factory and have the neat fact of being among the first 5 valve engines in production cars
>>
Looking to move on from my 02 Outback, out of Cobalt, Civic, or Accord, which one would be the best? I see they're all recommended in the wiki, but I'm really only looking for something for reliability on long highway trips.
>>
>>17626268
>tyres
What are you doing?
>>
>>17626290
Give it a thorough rundown. Have a third part shop or mechanic look it over. if they give it the ok, go for it
>>
>>17626591
That's an interesting viewpoint I've never heard before. I mean I've heard that the oil pumps on blacktops don't like lots of time hitting the rev limiter but not that 20vs are significantly less reliable than their 16v counterparts. I get that with its lighter parts theres more potential for shit to go flying but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ then again my 20v is pretty much only being used at the track anyway
>>
>>17626620
its the reason why the 4agze platform never left 16 valves as far as I know, but im not saying theyre significantly less reliable, probably not even noticable for most people since we all end up throwing a bearing or a rod before the valves ever shit out anyways
>>
If I just want to get a car that's stupid reliable and will run to 300k+ miles what should I get? I want decent mileage but also cargo space. I don't need a lot of seats I don't have any friends.
>>
>>17626660
Volvo 240 wagon.
>>
File: 1499374500649.jpg (39KB, 424x401px) Image search: [Google]
1499374500649.jpg
39KB, 424x401px
I got a nice job and have been saving up lots of money for a nice, sporty car to upgrade from my econobox. I don't know how to drive stick, but I think it would open up options for me and might make my DD more fun if my new fancy car ended up being manual.
Would it be a waste of money to spend $2k or less on a manual shitbox just to learn stick and see if I like it for DD? Should I just be boring and get an automagic with paddle shifters to pretend like I know how to work a car?
>>
>>17625922
Sounds like this may not apply to you but i got a used car that had been lowered and it handled horribly- like hard to keep in my lane at 30 miles per hour.
Then I raised it and had it aligned and it was much better, but the problem didnt go away completely until i put new tires on.
>>
>>17626382
No problem. Many cars easily make it to 200 thousand miles which would be like driving around the world at the equator 8 times (in stop-and-go city traffic nonetheless)
>>
What are some nice sporty 4 door sedans? I was interested in the dodge charger. Looks pretty nice.
>>
>>17626338
>2017
>2017
>2017
>2017
Sell when the warranty expires
>>
>>17626598
accord or civic
accord for comfy freeway bombing
>>
>>17627353
>Would it be a waste of money to spend $2k or less on a manual shitbox just to learn stick and see if I like it for DD?
Maybe, maybe not. Thing is, the first 6 months or so you'll be learning, and then for a while it will be fun. Then, one of two things happen: changing gear will start to annoy you, or you'll hardly notice and it's just natural and part of driving a car. Partly, it depends on the car. A $2000 shitbox will probably be more annoying than say a new Miata or Civic Si.
>>
>>17626338
>post 2000
>not pre 1971
Fuck off.
>>
>>17626193
Control arm bushings, tie rods, etc.
>>
>>17627504
The main thing with buying something newer is that I don't want to dedicate all that money to something that I'm not sure I'll like.
I was thinking it'd just be a 90s Civic or a 300ZX I found on cragislist that looked neat, not a shitbox in the sense that it's broken or unreliable or whatever.
>>
>>17626884
Nothing newer? I'm looking for something I can just go to the dealership and buy new or nearly new. I have a severe allergy to stupidity that prevents me from using Craigslist.
>>
>>17626660
Civic, Accord, Camry, and Corolla are good.
>>
Is it worth spending $140 just for an app and obd2 wifi adapter to clear a headlight error?
>>
What are the best brakes you can fit inside 15" or 16" wheels?
>>
>>17627708
Fix your fucking headlight
>>
>>17626612
Thanks bro, will do!
>>
>>17627958
There's nothing to fix, I got aftermarket ones because the oem are $1800 a piece, it throws an adaptive headlight error now for 10 sec when I turn on the car.
>>
I have a car with 380hp. How can I make it become a 450hp car? Is it even possible? If yes, what would be the consequences?
>>
File: image.png (471KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
471KB, 1200x800px
I found a nice AW11 on Craigslist and I really want it but I already have a fun/project car. My daily driver recently kicked the bucket and all I've got left is my foxbody product. The guy selling it is entertaining trades, do you think I could get him to take it and use the MR2 as my DD? If not, how well would an mr2 be as DD? I'd rather drive a fuel efficient mr2 over the gas chugging foxbody
>>
I just found out that you can still get a brand new 4x4 Taco with a v6 and stick shift. Is there any reason I shouldn't make that my next truck? I have a fetish for stick shift trucks.
>>
>>17626605
being a bong
>>
>>17627573
this
>>
Would a newer WRX be decent for drifting, as far as AWD cars go, or are there driver assists and whatnot that you can't easily disable?
>>
>>17628765
no that would be a terrible choice what the hell. maybe on snow.
get a brz
>>
>>17628840
Well it does snow in the winters here, that's why I want something awd. Also I've never seen a brz locally, the drift scene is practically nonexistent out here.
>>
>>17627993
pay someone to code it out. if youre talking about a bmw hit up some facebook groups and they'll get rid of that for like 25 bucks
>>
>>17626226
It's somewhat dependent on your suspension geometry.
My car's front toe is specced at 0deg toe on the front and -1deg of camber as it's the sports model.
The previous owner had taken it to some shitty alignment place that set it to the non sports setup that set the wheels at 0.5deg camber.
After I got it adjusted to the correct settings the tracking in ruts in the road got massively worse but the handling improved.
>>
File: IMG_2342.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2342.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
The rear tires on my car are at the end of their service life - dry rot forming on the edges, tread is low enough to spin in the rain. They're sketchy but I cannot afford to replace them right now. Pic related is from May, they've had a couple thousand miles put on them since then

I haven't rotated my tires in about two oil changes (6,000 miles), and I don't want to put these sketchy tires on the front because they'll get me killed. The ones on the front are much newer and I don't want to ruin them just to cheap out on this purchase. How long can I go before I need to rotate my tires?
>>
File: Ford-Mondeo-Titanium.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ford-Mondeo-Titanium.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
Should I get a Ford Mondeo as a first car or should I just get some 10 year old german car like everyone in my country (Albania).
Link related is what Im considering (translate it to english since its albanian)
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Tiran%C3%AB/AUTOMJETE/Makina/Ford/Mondeo/Ford-Mondeo-Titanium/4387267

If you dont want to read through the link heres the most important stuff
2011 Ford Mondeo Titanium
manual
175k km
1.6 petrol the 160 hp ecoboost one
with full service history only used by 1 owner looks in good shape
he said he could go as low as 6400 euro
>>
Recently redid all my brakes (front ones myself 2 months ago, rears yesterday at a shop with new rotors and calipers on the rears) and I'm still hearing this weird whirring/grinding/dragging noise as I drive from time to time. It's most noticeable as I pull away from idle. I figured the mechanic would try to rope me in for another sale since I specifically mentioned I wanted the grinding noise gone. Any ideas what it could be?
>>
>>17629272
You generally want the worse tires on the front, since sudden understeer won't kill you
>>
>>17629507
I had a set of bald tires on the front of my Buick Lacrosse which nearly caused two accidents in the rain - the car could not stop at all unless I was using less than 30% brake power. Is this solved by just not driving like an asshole?
>>
>>17627589
You can't buy a car now that will easily go to 300k. A volvo 240 or 740 from the 90s and earlier will go 500k ez.
>>
>>17629515
You really should never need more than 30% of the brake power. Controlled, slow stops - not sudden, abrupt stops. If your passengers can feel you coming to a stop, generally it's too hard... Especially with shit tires.
>>
>>17629507
no never wtf man
>>
Which is easier, replacing wiper-fluid nozzles or cleaning them out?
>>
>>17629631
just suck on them
>>
>>17627589
>I'm looking for something I can just go to the dealership and buy new or nearly new
>I have a severe allergy to stupidity that prevents me from using Craigslist.

Christ that's a shame, you must be allergic to yourself.
>>
Are there any coupes with a lot of backseat room for taller people?
>>
>>17629272

Those tires look fine to me. Looks like plenty of tread for summer use.
>>
>>17627708
Just let it do by some dude with said obd for 10 bucks
>>
>>17629653
How tall are we talking? Old muscle/malaise cars had plenty of head room
>>
>>17627589
Understand that modern cars are not made to last. They are made to be rather cheap to manufacture and loaded with complicated technology. But because of this, there's more of an impetus to make them better mechanically year after year (the old way was to change some floor-seats after a year and only make mechanical changes after 5-6 years). This means while you have to replace your car after 200k mi, you know that the next new car you get will be better rather than the exact same one you bought before.
>>
File: EpqKnS8.jpg (762KB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
EpqKnS8.jpg
762KB, 4032x3024px
These are my tires at like 50% tread life. They are Michelin Defenders.

In other news, my car is running great. There is nothing wrong with it except an issue with the ignition switch that I have been delaying my repair on. I'm really happy with how reliable this car has been so far (1999 Crown Vic). A twenty year old car and I am confident enough to be willing to go on cross country road trips with it. It's never left me stranded.

The Ford panther platform Is awesome.
>>
File: castrol.jpg (12KB, 191x264px) Image search: [Google]
castrol.jpg
12KB, 191x264px
I have conventional oil in my car, need to top off. My friend offered a gallon of synthetic, should I use it?
>>
>>17629411
>new rotors and calipers on the rears

You mean new rotors and pads?

You need to be more specfic, does it happen at a certain speed, can you tell where the noise is coming from? Typically brakes only make noise when braking.
>>
>>17629631
Both are equally a pain in the ass.
>>
So I have to replace the lower control arm on my 2006 Toyota Avalon. I took the wheel off and looked at the arm and it looks like I have to lift the engine to get to one of the bolts. I am extremely nervous about this. It doesn't seem easy like changing brake pads and rotors...

I looked at one of the bushings for said control arm and it looks horrible, like the left side of the arm is sagging down.

So my question for this is: Do I have to loosen the motor mounts on both sides or just the side with the bad control arm? Or should I just bite the bullet and have a shop do it?
>>
File: received_10211979253190454.jpg (188KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
received_10211979253190454.jpg
188KB, 2048x1536px
>>17625868
what car is this?
being sold for whats around $700
which in flipland is a sale for literally anything with wheels
>>
>>17629780
bmw e34
>>
File: received_10211979252990449.jpg (210KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
received_10211979252990449.jpg
210KB, 2048x1536px
>>17629900
thanks
>>
>>17629764
Do you have a shop manual detailing how to do the job? Does it mention anything about moving the engine?

You can only lift the engine in certain way and sometimes you'll have to D/C the transmission as to not damage anything.

If you do change the control arm, you'll still have to take it to a shop to get your alignment fixed, so if anything else needs to be changed or repaired on the front suspension, I'd do it while changing out that control arm.
>>
>>17629920
if you have any sort of mechanical knowhow buy it. E34 last good BMW.
>>
File: received_10211979253150453.jpg (384KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
received_10211979253150453.jpg
384KB, 2048x1536px
>>17629900
r u sure tho
>>
Do you think life has a meaning?
>>
>>17629939
I've seen some videos with both the Camry and Avalon, which are almost the same in the front end. There is nothing else around there that really needs fixing.
>>
>>17629975
The only meaning life has is the one you choose to give it.
>>
>>17629691
You can mix no problem, just try and use the same viscosity
>>
>>17628938
For real? I called a guy but he wanted $150 seemed like a complete ripoff
>>
>>17625890
Why not make the oil super thin?
>>
if i were to get one item to add power to my car (no induction or nitrous) would a new camshaft be my best value? i drive a stock 2002 ws6 trans am. assume a tune is going to be done as well
>>
>>17631134
I´m not a expert on these cars, but usually you need to do more than swapping a camshaft to significantly increase power.
I´d suggest increasing the rev limmiter, longer duration and sharper intake camshafts and a remapping of the ECU.
>>
Should I measure my oil level when:
>cold
>warm
>idle
>>
>>17631163
obviously its going to depend on the camshaft specs and tune but im wondering if something like +50hp is at all reasonable on stock everything or am i way off base?
>>
>>17631168
cold
>or at least sat for an hour
pan will have the most amount of oil in it for proper reading
>see first few posts of this thread
>too much oil= bad
>>
>>17631047
it won't lubricate properly
the only reason to have multi-viscosity oils is to get it to important parts and through small oil galleries quick
where it can heat up and be more viscous
thin oil doesn't lubricate worth shit in hot environments
>>
>>17631212
>50hp from camshafts
That depends on the engine and how far you want to go.
On your engine you would need to increase power by about 16% to get there, wich means you would need to go rev least 16-20% to get the power.

I would suggest forced induction at that point, because that much more rpm is much more stress on the internals of the engine than 16% more manifold pressure.
>>
>>17630570
150 is a rip. you are literally just going in and deleting the code.
>>
>>17631280
thanks for the reply. i think what im going to have to do is actually talk to some shops and get specific info. theres just so much info to wade through on the internet
>>
My car came with a stage 1 competition clutch. Its my first manual, but ive had it for 3+ months now and i still bomb it kinda bad a decent bit. I cant feel the bite at all, i just know roughly where it is and then guess most of the time. I feel like a regular clutch would be a lot easier. It shouldnt be too hard to downgrade to that right?
>>
Suppose I've got some 15" tires off a Corolla and some 16"-ish cragars. Would the two fit at all?? At least to replace the rotten tires on the cragars
>>
>>17631554
15" only fits on 15", not on 16".
There is a wire close to the contact patch between rim and tire you can´t stretch.
>>
>>17631566
Ah hell. Thanks. They MIGHT be 15s, would anything stop me then?
>>
>>17631300
Yup that's what I suspected, gonna see if I can get somebody from facebook
>>
>>17631593
If they fit, they fit.
>>
File: DOHC 4L i3.png (935KB, 1189x981px) Image search: [Google]
DOHC 4L i3.png
935KB, 1189x981px
Why are there no cheap 3-cylinder engines with a hughe displacement?
since building a cylinder/piston/valve etc. costs pretty much the same, regardless of the sieze, wouldn´t a engine like pic related be a great truck engine?
>>
>>17631727
Two things:

Are you stupid enough to think that something you built in automation actually mirror's real world results?

Secondly engines like that do exist but they're used in power equipment like forklifts and floor cleaners.
>>
>>17631212
The thing with camshafts is yes you get more power but its at the cost of power on low end.

Cams just alter where the engine makes its power.
>>
>>17632071
1. Overly torquey power bands
2. Diminishing returns on size of pistons (both reasons why we generally see patterns of displacement, for example inline 4s are usually 1.4 to 2.4 liters, etc)
>>
>>17626382

My family has moved to Alaska 4 times due to military finding it funny to keep putting us in Eilison and Elmendorf twice right after living in a continental US state.

So 4 times my dad's 2005 Duramax went across the United States from every corner and the Alaskan Highway while pulling a camper. Easy as fuck. Still have that truck to this day. No problems yet, 280k miles.
>>
File: 401927.jpg (80KB, 450x338px) Image search: [Google]
401927.jpg
80KB, 450x338px
What are these called?
>>
>>17631543
Is it a heavy clutch? In my experience lighter weight normal commuter clutches are even more vague.

Have you done the brake test with the clutch, ala press in the brake and slowly let the clutch out listening for the engine revs to dip in order to see where its actually biting?
>>
>>17632189
Louvers.
>>
>>17632071
>think that something you built in automation actually mirror's real world results
Not exactly, but it is kind of realted since the materials in engine manufacturing are way less expensive than fabrication.
>engines like that do exist
But why not in cars?
>>
>>17632200
Appreciate it anon
>>
>>17631727
They do. They are used in some heavy equipment applications. I use a 60 foot Genie lift and it is a air cooled 3 cylinder diesel
>>
File: 00n0n_d3lkt5IHWhS_1200x900.jpg (84KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
00n0n_d3lkt5IHWhS_1200x900.jpg
84KB, 675x900px
What's the best way to remove surface rust on the underbody of a truck? I may be getting a bargain on a truck, but I'm going to have to work for it and remove quite a bit of rust. I believe the rust is just surface rust - I'm going to check to make sure it's not rotted through any parts tomorrow.

Methods I've looked at include vinegar, eastwood rust dissolvers, sanding, powerwashing, and grinding. Where's a good reference on the pros / cons?

>pic related
>>
>>17633108
I would suggest getting it on jackstands and removing the rust with a wire brush on a anglegrinder.
>>
Hey /o/
So my '16 F250 has 4 aux connections that can be mapped to anything, and i have not/am not planning to hook anything up to them. it has four switches in the middle to turn them on/off and my non-enthusiast friends ask me what they do.
How do i fuck with them?
I've planned to tell them that the first switch turns off the Direct Exhaust Injection but after that i have no more ideas
tl;dr Give me some of your best made-up systems for me to fuck with my friends
>>
>>17633421
>turbo encabulator
https://youtu.be/rLDgQg6bq7o
>>
>>17625868
Cars usually idle lower when they're warm and higher when they're cold right?
>>
>>17633167
I think I'll do something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsWMwprAWu4
only I'll be lying on my back. I'll get some rust converter under the undercoat too.
>>
>>17633604
>rust converter under the undercoat
That won´t last long...
>>
>>17633604
>wire brush on drill instead of anglegrinder
Kind of what I suggested, but I´d do that untill I´m on the bare metal and use a special paint.
>>
>>17633620
Point taken, I looked into it. I'll put oil based paint over it. I haven't done this kind of work before.

>>17633629
What kind of special paint are you thinking?
>>
File: aid48655-v4-728px-.jpg (115KB, 728x546px) Image search: [Google]
aid48655-v4-728px-.jpg
115KB, 728x546px
So I was touching up after cleaning rust and I discovered that i didn't tape the sides well enough and there is a single layer of spattered primer and paint on the side that got in through the newspaper. Think i can buff it out with polish?
>>
>>17633672
>newspaper
Rip
>>
>>17633654
>what paint
I had 2 different ones in my mind, but forgot how one is called.
My grandpa painted some steel fence with it 40 years ago, still no rust.
The other one is this stuff: https://www.hornbach.de/shop/HAMMERITE-Hammerschlaglack-Effektlack-Schwarz-750-ml/3062280/artikel.html
Doesn´t look nice, but works realy well.
I am looking into this since my subframe started to rust...
>>
had a creaking noise that was faint and only when turning the wheel left, gradually got worse to the point whereit creaked louder and also when I'd break or go over bumps and dips (still not when turning right though). Ended up replacing both swaybar links and both struts. This helped the noise and handling significantly but the creak went back to being quiet and only turning all the way left at parking lot speeds. Tie rods looked ~okay, it's a 12 year old car but they weren't totally fucked or anything. any suggestions? it's not a squeak or a groan it's a distinct creak like someone drawing a bow or something like that.
>>
>>17633654
>I'll put oil based paint over it. I haven't done this kind of work before.
Don´t do it like that, you only want to paint clean surfaces, any oil will reduce the ability of the paint to stick on the metal.
Dust makes it look bad, but doesn´t realy do much.
>>
>>17633692
Well, I'm in an area that has pretty heavy winters with a lot of salt thrown on roads, and so rust does get pretty active here.
The instructions I see for rust converters say that you're right, I don't need to paint over it. But they also recommend putting oil based paint over it on things that are outdoors and get blasted - like a truck on a wet salted road.
At any rate I plan on getting as much of it down to bare metal as possible and going from there.

>>17633680
I'll find something similar that works for vehicles (that isn't recommended for vehicles according to the page).
>>
>>17633757
It is only not suited for high temperature applications on a vehicle and looks shitty.
But I don´t give a fuck if my subframe looks shitty if it doesn´t rust.

I realy suggest to remove every little bit of rust and than doing a good paint job with a heavy duty paint.
>>
>>17633548
yes
>>
>>17633688
maybe bent swaybar
but try this:
tighten all the big subframe bolts u see with a wrench
as well as the strut tower bolts
>>
What are some good books for learning about rotary engines and suspension tuning?
>>
>>17634530
anything by calvin wan
>>
File: IMG_5765.jpg (111KB, 750x462px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5765.jpg
111KB, 750x462px
How exactly would a bolt-on sway bar kit work on a solid/dead axel for a front wheel drive car?

If it bolts to the bottom of the spring perches, would it act more like a sway bar or just like a reinforcement for the solid axel?

>pic related
>>
Is AWD really that big a deal if I live near the mountains, or will RWD, snow/all-season tires, and caution work just fine?
>>
>>17626598
Cobalt no
>>
>>17626660
>don't have any friends
Save me a seat, friend.
>>
>>17634762
you should be fine
carry chainz/cables just to be safe
>that ziptie b/s isn't acceptable
but an abundance of caution and throttle control will do you good
also go get hektik in a safe parking lot to learn
tell the cops this
protip: this is why people talk about winter shitboxes
>snow is all like
>AWD>FWD>RWD
>>
>>17629411
Identify the corner making the noise. Get someone to sit in different seat while you drive to help you find it. It could be a dust shill that's bent a little too close and rubbing on the rotor. Or it could be a wheel bearing.
>>
>>17629764
I've never had to move the engine to replace a Toyota control arm. If it's a greasy oily mess, do yourself a favor and degrease it first. And you will need a breaker bar.
>>
>>17631168
Idling, pointing downward on a hill, in neutral.
>>
>>17631280
>he thinks 16% more manifold pressure is 16% more power

Olol
>>
>>17632189
Nostalgia
>>
>>17634793
>dust shill
lel
he isn't wrong tho shit could even be a loose fender
>>
>>17625868
Why does my car drive so rough in first gear? Eg, in stop and go traffic I let off the gas and the car jolts and bunny hops kinda bad. I know first isn't really for staying in but it's inevitable in slow traffic.
>>
>>17634851
Either you've got way too much driveline slop, your throttle cable needs adjusting or you're just a barbarian with the throttle.
>>
How do you add water back to the engine after replacing a water pump?
>>
>>17625868
Lets pretend for a minute that it would be a good idea for cooling, lubrication, and some how lower resistance and the rings were magic and would keep the oil from the cylinders.

Oil when put under pressure in small spaces, like where the piston will be coming back down into the oil pool, creates micro air bubbles that pop and form rapidly, which takes chunks of metal out of the walls. So your engine would wear out prematurely.
>>
>>17634868
Depends on the car.
But generally, fill the radiator/reservoir as much as you can, then start the engine and let it idle for a little, after a little hold the revs at about 2k rpm and massage the radiator hoses. Add coolant as it takes it in.
It's important to rev otherwise the engine won't suck in coolant. So if you just let it idle it might not take it and over heat while you wait.
>>
>>17634891
Also if your heater controls are valved rather than flapped turn your heat all the way on.
>>
>>17634858
I'm pretty gentle with the throttle, and it's drive by wire
>>
>>17634851
Every manual I've ever driven is like that if you're not careful in first.
It's a combination of mechanical advantage given to the wheels against the engine by the gearing. and tolerances between gear teeth.

When you let off your gears swap from mating on one side of the teeth, to mating on the other, and there is a tolerance built in there.
>>
>>17634923
>>17634858
Guess I just have to be more gentle when lifting off, I'll do my best
>>
File: IMG_8089.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8089.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
What the fuck is this? Saw it in a parking garage in Austin and can't for the life of me remember what it is
>>
>>17634999
Jaguar XKR-S

Here's one for the thread; why are my rear brakes wearing quicker than my fronts?
>>
>>17634868
Use 50/50 coolant.
Find the upper radiator hose and stab a hole in it for your funnel.
Drink 50/50 coolant.
Urinate into the funnel.
Plug the hole with a hot dog.
>>
>>17635026
Stop driving backwards.
>>
>>17635075
yeah but i can't do sikk hektik j-turns driving forwards.

also when you brake the force goes to the front of the car so i assumed my front pads would wear quicker.
>>
>>17635026
If it's RWD and you got anti-spin, that might be it.
>>
does anyone know how to check a charging system? my car has been turning over really slowly for a while and wouldnt turn the other day
i changed the battery for a brand new one but it still cranks slowly intermittently (temp makes no difference) so i thought my alternator might be fucked
>>
>>17635223
Check the voltage while the car is running.
Fully charged battery should be approx 12.6 volts. With the engine running, you should see at most 14.7 volts. Lowest charging voltage is about 13.8. If it's lower than 14 volts, or maybe even 14.2, your alternator is done for or about to croak.
>>
>>17635230
thanks
>>
>>17635214
yes its RWD, good point anon i have been getting loose due to shitty tyres recently.
>>
>>17632209
>it is kind of realted since the materials in engine manufacturing are way less expensive than fabrication.
You just feel into the greed logic trap.
This is when greed justifies facts for you. Look at what you said. You said that your simulated results will mirror real world results because materials cost will be less.
>>
>>17627395
>Many cars easily make it to 200 thousand miles
Yes, but those owners are exceptional owners. If you removed every owner that was mechanically skilled, then every car model of every year could have a better comparison of how affordable they are to own to the limit of that model's specific lifespan.
>>
File: Krando-Android-7-1-car-radio-for.png (768KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Krando-Android-7-1-car-radio-for.png
768KB, 1000x1000px
I've got Hyundai Accent, pic related have a slot for GPS card, is this just regular Micro SD card slot? that stores the maps?
If so where do I get one?
>>
Am I retarded for getting a 32 year old car as a DD? I have another car if it breaks, but its also almost 30 years old as well.
>>
>>17635509
Go to a dealer and ask for one.
>>
>>17635942
I've asked around, but most seller doesn't know what this is or don't have it.
>>
>>17635026
Most likely you have different pad or rotor material in the rear.
Or maybe your rears are so much smaller than the fronts that they wear faster.
>>
How do I haggle with dealerships?
For example, if carmax or some place has a better price on a nearly identical car a dealership has, how would I try to bring them down to that price?
>>
>go to albanian craiglist for the lulz
>2010 golf mk6
>6000 euro
what the fuck why is this allowed
why do albanian get so many good cars
>>
>>17625868
From an engineering perspective, if by internals you include anything near the pistons, its because well, you're a fucking idiot if you think that having a 4 stroke engine have to run like a 2 stroke, by burning dirty, submerged in oil, is a good idea.

And you don't want any oil near the camshaft because you're forcing the engine to do more work by keeping it in a viscous fluid as >>17625890
Said.

Yeah your engine might run a bit cooler, but typically you want your engine to be a bit warm. A cool engine is great if you want to run super hot, which is what nitrous does, by drastically cooling your engine you can shove more oxygen into each cycle, but this creates hotter and more combustible cycles which is why you need to beef your engine. And if you're running thinner oil? It will burn, turn to gas and somethings going to blow.

>>17626193
This
>>17626345
Check your arms.

Had the same issue. going from 30 to stop, and highway to stop, I had the same issue.

Turned out my arms, bearings and pads on one side were shot.
>>
>>17635669
What car is it?

I dailied an 85 CRX for a while, but nothing broke and some parts are still available because it's a Civic.
>>
the passenger side front brakes of my 2015 civic started grinding recently, im not sure how fucked it is but im pretty sure it at least needs new brake pads

is this something i can do by myself with 0 experience? also, can i use the jack that came with the car to to this? ive read youre not supposed to but fuck im cheap and only want to buy a new one if its absolutely necessary
>>
File: Collage 2017-07-31 14_10_47.jpg (965KB, 1440x2336px) Image search: [Google]
Collage 2017-07-31 14_10_47.jpg
965KB, 1440x2336px
I'm kinda worried about my front wheel. I recently had to throw my car in a ditch while drifting, then over corrected onto the road and dove between a truck and a light pole and into a farm field, hence the fender flare damage. I actually popped my rear right tire, and replaced it. But now I'm noticing this one looks weird, what do you guys think?
>>
>>17636531
It's an 85 Toyota AW11

My current car is an 89 Mustang
>>
>>17636858
You fucked up the suspension, if it's not bent replace it and then get an alignment
>>
>>17637120
Damn. Pulls to the right so that makes sense. What should I replace? I'll pull it into my garage tonight
>>
Selling my car. 2014 V6 mustang. 20k miles. Is $14.5 too much to ask ?
>>
>>17637175
Replace anything bent or torn or obviously fucked up

probably looking at a new control arm and tie rods at the least
>>
>>17632196
Never heard of that test. Not too sure about the clutch either, i have the info saved on my pc but im not home atm. Ill try the test though, thanks.
>>
>>17626660
Buy a toyota tacoma with an access cab.
>its like 500 cheaper if theres no backseats
>truck, so you can haul shit
>can tow if you need to
>the engines are known to last forever
>some have manual transmission
>>
Overfilled engine oil. What do?
>>
>>17637351
>overfilled
By how much?
>>
>>17637351
drain it
>>
Is there a difference in the power a turbo makes depending on its size? I was telling some guy at work that the BMW M20 can take quite a bit of boost on stock internals, at least 15 psi. Then he asked me what size turbo, because apparently that matters. Nobody had ever asked me that before so I didn't really know what to say. Do larger turbos make a different amount of boost or something?
>>
>>17637703
It matters.
Bigger turbo > laggie boost. More power.

Smaller turbo > spools faster. Boost comes in rapidly over a small rpm band as well.

Generally want the smallest turbo to reach the power you want...
>>
Two questions
How's the Chevy Cobalt compared to the Honda Civic? Looking towards getting one of those two for with a budget of 2900 max. Dad's a mechanic and gonna help fix some issues with it.

What's the difference between diesel mechanics and regular mechanics? Kinda want to take one of those classes at my community college before leaving for uni.
>>
File: 1500227172539.jpg (14KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
1500227172539.jpg
14KB, 210x240px
>>17637814
Fuck, I meant the Honda Accord
Sorry for the mistype
>>
>>17625868
When diagnosing an oil leak, should I go from the top down or bottom up?
>>
>>17628296
They can get seriously good mileage, but if you want to go faster than 65 on the freeway it starts to suffer, because if short gearing
>>
>>17637748

But 15 psi is still 15 psi, right?

Is there any reason an engine would be able to handle 15 psi from a small turbo but not from a larger one?
His question got me confused and I immediately assumed he didn't know what he was talking about, but I also considered the fact that maybe I was ignorant to turbo mechanics.
>>
>>17638350
>any reason an engine would be able to handle 15 psi from a small turbo but not from a larger one?
Maybe backpressure when the turbo is verry undersiezed.
>>
I've given up on trying to find a decent DD on Craigslist. Is there a decent way to search local dealership inventories?
>>
>>17639490
Asking the real questions here. I don't want to travel to 6 different places, I want to find a cool car online and then go see it
>>
>>17637874
top down AFTER looking at oil pan gasket and plug

>>17638350
>What is turbo flutter?
oversized yurbos are a bad idea
>>
>>17636726
>can i do this?
can you turn a wrench?
look for how-to videos on youtube
>should i use the stock jack?
you could but use jackstands to support the vehicle
the stock jacks are terrible
>>
File: IMG_20170725_175903.jpg (3MB, 3984x2988px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170725_175903.jpg
3MB, 3984x2988px
Alright /o/, I'm at a loss. I clearly can't tune a carburetor worth a shit and I'm at a loss. not to mention the fact I can't find any goddamn info on where shit is on this particular carb (Carter 1bbl). truck is a 79 ford 300 i6/3 speed auto. on a cold start it either won't hold idle at all, or it will do this weird stumble-surge-stumble-surge dance until a minute or two later it smooths out. if, after it smooths out, I put ANY strain on the engine (Putting it in gear, for example), it starts the stumble-surge thing again. once it reaches operating temp it's generally fine, though. I messed around with what I THINK is the mixture screw (passenger side near the base of the carb) and it will at least reliably stay running on a cold start now, but it still does the stumble-surge dance, and if I try to just start it up and go the engine will sputter and die. all smashing the pedal does during this is make the engine backfire and stumble. once its warmed up it accelerates normally (slow as shit, but eh, its a 79). should mention I've been driving it for ~ two weeks and its only been doing this the past few days. it sat for 6-ish months outside prior to this.

and yes I know the PCV is disconnected. it does it regardless.

>>1808008
Webm related.
>>
Anyone use an obd2 mpg estimator? I swear my car isnt getting what it should, and these seem like the easiest way to figure out if its my driving habits or my car
>>
>>17639595
>>17639595
ah fuck, forgot how to cross-board link.

http://i.4cdn.org/wsg/1501549475265.webm
>>
>>17639490
>Is there a decent way to search local dealership inventories?
Yes, but it is reserved to dealers of that make. It's their private dealer network after all.
>>
>>17639609
>I swear my car isnt getting what it should
Variations can be due to hilly terrain. I thought my car was dysfunctional until I had an extended stay on level terrain. It then behaved much closer to the EPA sticker instead of being poor on mpg.
>>
>>17625868
I just patched a puncture were the sidewall meets the tread is the tire fine?
>>
I want to change the over-sized steering wheel on my W124 Mercedes to a slightly smaller one as soon as I find a stylish aftermarket wheel.

Is there anything one can fuck up while doing this that I should be aware of?
>>
>>17640174
Depends on how the steering wheel is mounted, some older American cars require a steering wheel puller, and whether or not you have an airbag.

Incidentally, my 87 735i had just one 21mm Nut holding the steering wheel down.

You'll need to replace it as close to the same alignment as your old steering wheel, or it will be off center.
>>
>>17640147
Pictures. Odds are no its not fine.
>>
What are the first/simplest mods/tunes i should do for more torque and horsepower?

What are the best mods/tunes for torque and horsepower?

I ask because im on the fence about buying a bk2 genesis 2.0t (270 hp)... Or a bk1 genesis 3.8 (306 hp). Maybe even a bk2 3.8 (348 hp) if i find a fair price.

Also im checking out g37s...

I just want a DD that can leave a camaro/stang/challenger/charger in my dust.

Any other suggestions? My budget is around 15k.
>>
>>17640208

It depends completely on the engine.

Hyuandai 3.8's have a crappy aftermarket, about the only thing available is a (expensive) supercharger setup that gains less than 100hp. The 2.0T is a little better and is already set up for boost, but its still a POS Hyundai.

G37's and 370's have a better aftermarket, the engines in those with enough money and turbo's can push 500+

You can go the BMW route, I think e9x 335i's and E82 135i's are around that price point now, and certain years literally only need a tune and can gain 50 hp over the 300+ that's already stock. But you're going have to learn how to do most of the maintenence yourself.

That being said none of those will leave a properly built Camaro/Chally/Stang in its dust.
>>
>>17640206
I know it's probably not fine but I just went ahead a patched it for now.
>>
>>17640327
>>
>browsing 2017 trucks
>chevy colorado
>literally none of them have bed liners unless you buy one that costs 30-35k

why does chevy do this?
>>
>>17640359
Because you can buy an aftermarket one that's cheaper than what you're paying the dealer to install?

>>17640327
That's kinda iffy, you need new tires anyways it looks like.
>>
>>17640289
"Properly built"...? What do you mean?

Like i said i want a DD, not an actual race/track car... Not really into that aspect. Just redlight to redlight i want to dust those. So lets only compare stock to stock and realistic potential.
>>
>>17637375
>>17637429

Ok so thanks to $11.73 worth of stuff from Walmart I got out about slightly more than 2 quarts of excess oil. The oil is now just above the full line, previously it was more than 2 inches above that.
>>
>>17640384
Yeah I'm going to need new tires I just measured the tread depth on the inside and it was just a little over 3/32.
>>
2016 kia forte LX, ~10k for about 37k miles.

Family econobox for 5+ years to come. Y/N?
>>
File: IMG_20170718_162149.jpg (621KB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170718_162149.jpg
621KB, 2560x1920px
>>17625868
I've got a 2000 Honda CR-V with atrocious headlights. I believe they're far beyond trying to salvage with those headlight restoration kits, so I'm planning on just buying a new headlight assembly for each side.

What do you guys think about OEM v. knock-off? Should I save a few bucks and get non-OEM brand new or get something like this used OEM?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-Honda-CR-V-Pair-Set-Headlight-Headlamp-Lens-Housing-Assembly-OEM-/182690802989
>>
>>17640470
Sheeeeit just look at common issues and such I'm assuming there's no warranty
>>
>>17640514
Sand them down and clear coat. Then restore/wax there's plenty of videos like this. OEM are always best at what 200 a piece
>>
>>17640523
For the cost of materials and my time, it seems like buying used OEM seems easiest (even though I'd probably end up trying to install them myself first). The ones I linked are $80 for the pair.

I've been told that sanding and recoating actually does more harm than good, something to do with how the casing throws the light and that I'd have to do it again in another year or two anyway. But that's just what I was told by people more qualified than I, so doesn't mean they're necessarily right I suppose.
>>
>>17640516
kias have a 10 year 100k powertrain warranty, 100k 5 year corrosion warranty, 60k 4 year basic warranty, and 60k 4 year roadside assistance warranty thing. the place i'm buying it from also comes with it's own 12 month 12k limited powertrain warranty. it's covered from head to toe for several years at least.

projected reliability rivaling anything toyota puts out these days as well.

they've got red, navy blue, black and silver. all i need to do is take my pick.
>>
>>17640535
That's not a bad price for them. You maybe could really yours too if the mounts are good. Follow your heart never heard of that before though. My headlight came out pretty good after
>>
How and when do you guys do your transmission flush? Buying the fluid for a good flush and a new pan is gonna cost me more than what the local transmission shop is charging. I'm getting close to 100k so I want to figure this out.
>>
>>17640536
What do they call these deals at the dealership? People that leased or what? For the amount you're saving and getting a nice sounding warranty that sounds like a good thing, Korea is getting gooder
>>
>>17640536
korean cars are like Fords with short-lived interiors
>>
>>17640393
>"Properly built"...? What do you mean?

As in the same thing you're doing to an import.

>Just redlight to redlight i want to dust those. So lets only compare stock to stock and realistic potential.

How are you going to know whats stock and whats not? Lots of built Stangs are daily driven as well.
>>
>>17639609
Any suggestions here? Everything im finding looks cheap, but with flashy colors and shit, and is being sold for $75+. Im just looking for the cheapest most basic reader, it can be an exposed circuit board with a display stuck to it with electrical tape for all i care
>>
I legit want to learn how to wrench and work on cars.

What do I do?

Buy a piece of junk and fuck with it?

I keep hearing
>change your oil
and
>change your tires
but I'm not an idiot, that's too simple and easy, putting together a big wheel was more complex than that.
>>
>>17640617
You could buy a busted tranny and learn how to rebuild it, or change spark plugs, or try doing suspension and brakes

It really depends what you want to learn, there are a million different things to do on car
>>
>>17640588
forte interior is actually really fucking nice compared to all the other competitors for the same price. doesn't really need to be anything fancy anyway. i just need a non shitty bright grey or sand colored interior and a radio with bluetooth. this shit is black/grey and has just that. i'm moving up from a fucking VW as it is so it's an upgrade in every shape and form.

>>17640584
they're certified fleet car sales form hertz. they tend to pull em out relatively early, around 35-40k miles or so and sell them around 900-2k under KBB value. Honestly, i don't know how i could go wrong, unless the car is completely fucked, but with that warranty and being able to test them all out extensively before buying it's pretty safe.
>>
File: 2016_kia_forte_koup_dashboard.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
2016_kia_forte_koup_dashboard.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>>17640635
pic related also.
>>
>>17640580
The transmission shop should flush. Anyone can do a simple drain and fill with filter for pretty cheap. If they're equally cheap then go to them save you from getting all grimy. And it depends on the car. Owners manual would say
>>
>>17640640
It's a bimmer and it has "lifetime transmission fluid" which I know is bullshit, there's no such thing as a lifetime fluid.

My cousin is a mechanic and said I should flush it by 100k. Cost for a new pan and enough fluid for a good flush is $210, the shop says they'll do a flush and new pan for $120. The only thing that makes me apprehensive is that I don't know if they'll actually flush it or just drain and fill.

It's at 96k and still shifts smoothly though
>>
>>17640670
If they're a reputable company do it.. I went to a transmission shop that was undercutting the rest they didn't have any reviews somehow. well they sucked hard and the reviews started to get posted. Kept my car an extra day.. cut corners and charged extra fees for this and that. Even took my engine cover off and didn't replace the clips (wanted me to also give them money for changing my valve cover gasket) good luck with your b m w
>>
File: 20170730_194526_000[1].jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170730_194526_000[1].jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>asked in a previous thread about my truck sounding like it had a rattle in it
>buy a new set of exhaust manifolds
>take off the old ones
>
>>
>>17636402
>being an autistic asshole to someone asking a question out of curiosity
Confirmed engineer
>>
File: IMG_0932.jpg (19KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0932.jpg
19KB, 480x360px
>>17640717
Hmm well they have 3 good reviews, the only other transmission shops are pretty far away so I guess it's worth a shot

>good luck with your b m w
Thanks faм

>>17640721
Uhh
>>
Just shut up..
>>
File: IMG_1286.jpg (624KB, 2016x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1286.jpg
624KB, 2016x1512px
Just bought a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger, but I hate the steering wheel. What are some good recommends. I'm looking for for 360mm-390mm in size.
>>
>>17640408
Excellent. That was a good thing you did. Can you imagine the oil level so high that the bottom of the piston slaps the surface of the pooled oil if your car is doing a sharp turn? Since liquid is incompressible, that oil has to move out of the way. But the piston moves so fast that the momentum of the oil makes it slow to get out of the way.
>>
>>17640635
>hertz
Your advantage is that Hertz does a lot of corporate rentals. If I was one of those renters on a business trip, you'd be doing great. I don't hoon or redline. Heck, there's no time to do much recreation anyways since the company always wants me back asap.
>>
>>17640670
>The only thing that makes me apprehensive is that I don't know if they'll actually flush it or just drain and fill.
Some shops don't even do anything. They just pretend to do something and then give you the bill. CBC Marketplace did an expose documentary for Ontario Canada, and it's on youtube. What sucks is that the scammer chain Economy Lube (of Ontario, Canada) didn't even replace the radiator fluid. They just poured some new fluid into the overflow tank to make it look like new. But the fluid they poured in was green and the actual fluid in the car is orange pink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-avpx8UTakI

So when they got the car back from the Economy Lube, they had to fix the problem of the wrong fluid being used. Makes me wonder if Jiffy Lube does upselling services like that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/oil-change-shop-caught-scamming-customers-marketplace-investigation-1.2418675
>>
>>17637094
If you already bought it, might as well use it.

If you're looking at it, inspect it thoroughly before buying, especially for body rot.
>>
>>17639609
just fill it up full and reset your trip odometer then estimate on the next fill up

mpg = miles/gallons

(ex: drive 200 miles, fuel stop add 10 gallons, 200/10 = 20 mpg).
>>
>>17641345
Didnt think of that, last car's odo reset button didnt work and i forgot i could do that. Thanks
>>
>>17641287
Damn, that is what I'm afraid of.
>>
>>17641412
The employees were given financial incentives by the owner to do these kinds of things. The more cars streamed thru per hour, the more shared profit in each employees' pocket. If you actually did drain, flush, and then replace the fluid, that would actually be a long time.
>>
>>17641495
I don't think the shop I'm going to for the transmission is that bad. It's just 3 old dudes and none of them seem to bossing the others around.

I know there are lots of places like that around though, ironic how they know as little about cars as the owners but simply know how to take advantage of that ignorance
>>
>>17626338
Mustang 11-14
Charger the newer the better
Challenger the newer the better
Camaro Anything 10-present will be reliable.
>>
>>17628312
Well I heard the 2016+ tacomas took a dive in reliability so maybe get a 14 or 15 model instead?
>>
>>17641412
Fraud is Theft With A Smile
>>
>>17640767
I bet some people who dont know shit about cars left a good review because of "friendly service" and "$10 off".
>>
>>17641502
Just set up a small camera to see if they do the work. If they see the camera then theyll know they have to actually do it.
>>
>>17643366
If I were the tech, I'd get out of the video angle, slide a piece of tape over the lens. Then jab it with a phillips. That will teach the nosy asshole customer.
>>
>>17643338
Nah it's more like "this guy is a genius with transmissions, rebuilt my tranny for me" etc etc

>>17644172
>yo why did you guys destroy my camera?
>uhh we got butthurt and didn't like it

Yeah that'll fly
>>
This is a really retarded question so bear with me here.

Is it safe to use a ramp and jack stands to get all four wheels off the ground? I've only got two stands and a ramp atm. I KNOW I need to get some more but I'm an idiot and spent all my money on parts.
>>
>>17644452
Just rent a crane.
>>
>>17644172
Should be no worries if your not doing anything wrong.
>>
Do odometers have factory numbers that match the car? Asking to see if i can check if the odometer is the original.

Can odometers simply be turned back? Adjusted?

I feel like this would be a crooked dealer/sellers "go to move".
>>
>>17626345
>>17626345

Volvo? I have same thing on my s70 t5 lowered on coils with 1.3 neg camber in front
>>
>>17644452

I don't see how you'd get up the ramps once you have one end of the car on jack stands....

Assuming you have a floor jack of some sort as well, it's fine. Just hit the e-brake once it's up on the ramps, or put in park, or in gear or whatever you like, just make sure whatever set of wheels is on the ramps is locked in some way so it's unlikely to roll around much. You can also wedge some blocks of wood on either side of the tires on the ramp to make doubly sure it won't move.

Funny thing, when I put my project car up on jack stands, one on each corner, only three of the four actually touch the frame. With the fourth one, there's a 2-3 inch gap between the frame and the jack. All jacks at the same height, floor is reasonably level, doesn't do it with any other car. The car itself was in an accident once, but I didn't expect the frame to be that badly tweaked.

Moral of the story - if I can work on a car sitting on 3 jack stands and not die, you should survive using two ramps and a couple of jack stands.
>>
>>17644606

I think most clusters are tagged with a VIN in the modern day, older cars might not be.

Clusters can be swapped, from a lower mileage car, to a higher mileage car, to show less mileage than what it actually has.

If you were determined enough, you could probably pull apart the cluster and roll the wheels back, but it'd take a fair bit of effort.

That's where VIN checks come in handy. If there's a mileage discrepancy, it'll show up on the VIN record. Also, at least in my state, it's extremely, horribly illegal to sell a car that's had the mileage modified in that sort of way, without also signing and odometer disclosure form, which tells the buyer that something was done to change the indicated mileage. So in my state anyway, if you were to buy a car and find out later someone had swapped the cluster or changed the reading without also giving you the form, you could likely sue them or force them to take the car back afterwards.
>>
>>17644697
I know how you feel about the body flexing thing. My foxbody (and all foxbodies) are notorious for having flimsy bodies. I really need to find a shop to weld on subframe connectors before I twist the body much more.
>>
File: Miata_1990_odometer.png (14KB, 944x528px) Image search: [Google]
Miata_1990_odometer.png
14KB, 944x528px
>>17644193
>yo why did you guys destroy my camera?
watcha talkin bout?
dindu nuffin.

>>17644606
>Do odometers have factory numbers that match the car?
What people do is get two odometers. They replace the good odometer with a bad one and rack up the miles on that. Then they swap in the original odometer to put a few miles on it before taking it in for servicing under the 3 year bumpter to bumper 36K mile warranty. That establishes a paper trail. The dealer gives it full free warranty service even though it might actually have 50K miles in 2 years because of commuting every day from home. One can have such distances because the spouse lives there but your job is way over here. Do you give up the house and spouse? Nope. Do you force the spouse to move and commute? Nope. Well, then you are the one that commutes 50 miles one way every work day. Now you're the one that wants the odo swap so that you keep all the warranties going. And when you sell the car on craig's list or trade in, your mileage looks a lot better and you get a higher value.
>>
About to buy a WRX, convince me this is a good decision over getting some luxo sedan with flappy paddles.
>>
>>17644973
WRX's are meme vehicles that no one ever really needs. you'll have fun until you realize you paid a whole lotta dough for little payoff
>>
>>17644973
you're insurance is going to fuck you. hard.

there is plenty of other fun cars for the same price or less

they look like shit (subjective)
>>
>>17644991
>>17644992
Any suggestions?

I had a WRX back in the day so I kinda know what to expext. I like the looks, AWD is nice for my region and the cars comes with a 6 speed and subies are pretty reliable.

What else beats that?
>>
>>17644917
And the dealers have no way of knowing it was swapped out?
>>
>>17629374
bump
>>
>>17644991
No one needs more than 90hp, kid.
>>
>>17645057
any other subaru vehicle unless you absolutely need the BRAPs

save a few thousand and just get a top trim impreza.
>>
Should I take the risk and install coilovers on my car myself, or just pay someone a couple hundred to do it for me?
>>
>>17646011
What car? Some require re-welding the shock tubes.
>>
>>17646041
4-door R34 Skyline

I know that the rear coilovers are different on the 4-door to the 2-door ones, but other than that it should be the same. If there's any welding involved then I'll probably have to pay someone to do it, there's no way I'm risking that.
>>
My engine has vvti. When the lift kicks in is it using all 4 valves per cylinder, or just the 2 valves for the lift?
>>
File: IMAG0791.jpg (2MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0791.jpg
2MB, 3000x4000px
What is this and is it supposed to lean?
>>
File: Facepaw.jpg (44KB, 580x386px) Image search: [Google]
Facepaw.jpg
44KB, 580x386px
I decided to replace my stock radio with a cheap replacement. Two of the brown wires were exactly the same on the stock harness so I ended up hooking something dumb(dimmer or park light I think) to the left rear speaker negative. Front speakers worked, left rear didn't. It ended up blowing a capacitor. After correcting the wiring everything works fine now. BUT, is this thing safe to use with a blown capacitor? I mean it went pop and I took the case apart to get it out.
>>
File: 7CQtn2b.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
7CQtn2b.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>17625868
A family friend had this thing dropped off at his scrapyard, it's a old postal jeep with supposedly a bad torque converter (it was free so why would the lie about it?). It also doesn't have a title.

I ran the plates with the TX dmv and they told me the vehicle was last on their records in 1996, and the title was moved to TN, they won't give me any more information.

TN dmv wants me to report it as abandoned so some wrecker company can legally pick it up and auction it off, they also won't give me any owner information.

I can't get a hold of the guy who dropped it off because according to my friend he's some sketchy ass sounding dude whos never anywhere for more than a month and doesn't have a phone.

I doubt its stolen because said bad trans, last registered 1996 and still has previous reg. plates.

How would I go about legally acquiring this?
>>
Accidentally used Meguiar's hot rims tire and wheel cleaner on uncoated aluminum rims and now they have these weird stains on them, is there anything I can do to fix them?
>>
>>17646205
Bottom of your strut, and yes its supposed to be at an angle.
>>
>>17625922
Worn shocks/struts can make this issue more prominent.
>>17627353
Would be waste, only takes a few days do be acceptable at driving manual.
>>
>>17627353
Nope a $2k shitbox is hella fun to thrash when it's a manual. You might not even want a "nice" manual after. Not to mention you can always sell it for $2500 of you do.
>>
>>17646317
You'll have them cleaned polished and re coated, its probably just oxidation brought on by the chemicals in the cleaner.
>>
>>17646316
The DMV would have your answer, but it seems you've already talked to them, if they're coming to haul it off over unpaid property taxes odds are you probably need to pay those taxes.
>>
>>17646410
>just oxidation brought on by the chemicals in the cleaner.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it is, at first I wiped it off but it would reappear instantly which definitely means it is oxidation at work.

So is this something I can do myself? I'm a college student so no money for a $500 rimjob
>>
>>17646323
I'm
>>17636858
And I was checking out my suspension, trying to narrow down what's causing the weird bow out. I didn't really see anything crazy though
>>
If I were to turbocharge a N/A car what is the process like? I mean what is the proper order of doing things and what are the most common problems I should prepare for?
>>
>>17646522
Depends on the engine really. Some take boost better than others.

Everything kinda has to be done at once when you have the parts. You in theory COULD do things in stages but it wouldn't really make sense.

Upgraded fuel system to provide fuel for it, possibly pump upgrade, regulator upgrade and new injectors/blow-through.

Manifolds and whatever pipe needed for the hot side to the turbocharger, then from the turbo out. A wastegate of some kind, internal of external, to control the exhaust flow through the turbo.

Intake piping from the turbocharger, preferably through an intercooler, then to the intake. relief valve is nice but not strictly necessary.

ECU Tuning/some kind of tuning. Bigger injectors means total retune of the ECU. Sometimes there are ways around this, but best to just plan for it.

Oil feeds and drains for the turbo, possibly coolant as well depending on your unit.

Uhhhh, sure there are some other things.

Common problems? Added unreliability. You're asking a machine to do more than it was built to do. Expect earlier failure of important things, potentially catastrophic failure. When I turbo NA motors (which I've done quite a lot now) I always try to have a spare ready-to-go motor on hand just in case.
>>
>>17646581
>Depends on the engine really. Some take boost better than others.
I'm talking about a Mercedes M103 engine on a W124 Mercedes here and I'm on the fence about whether or not I should order one of these turbokits if I want to get more power out of it:
http://turbobandit.com/Mercedes%20Tuning/Turbokits

I guess M103 can take boost decently as there is a 1200hp kit there but I'm more interested about the "up to 600hp" one and would be perfectly happy with 300hp. I guess one could also reach the 300hp area with an well chosen NA engine swap which may or may not be easier and potentially more reliable.

Bottom-line is that I want to get a bit more power of my Merc (that I'm otherwise relatively happy with) but I'm still weighing the options for the best/most practical/cheapest way to reach ~300hp. One thing I'm will change is the stock KE-Jetronic fuel injection system which I'm convinced is not working as well as it could and is holding my engine back.
>>
What is a good way to get rid of small dents? I have a few all around the car, mainly on the doors (Honda Accord 93' sedan).

At the same time however, I need to do work on all four door's power windows, so I would figure—albeit more expensive—that replacing all four doors would work better and faster. Unless getting cylinders made for my key is a hassle.

Either way, I wanna get rid of all the body damage, since I want to repaint it.
>>
File: asd.png (2MB, 1847x953px) Image search: [Google]
asd.png
2MB, 1847x953px
what kind of shifter is this?
>>
File: fE6MaT9.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
fE6MaT9.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>17646316
not a property tax problem, they just want to haul it off.

Found a certificate of ownership form online for cars worth less than $3k / over 30yrs old. I can get a bill of sale from the friend too but I'm unsure the law surrounding its usage.

I've also heard of vehicles with no vin plates being registered as kit cars with some sort of road legality inspection. (?)
>>
Hey guys.

Electric oil pumps?
>>
>>17645697
>No one needs more than 90hp
650k RAM is all you'll ever need.
>>
>>17646891
no
>>17646823
auto
>>17646746
plunger or glass pane holder
>>17646275
why didn't u replace it if you opened case?
>if good solder
works
>if cold solder
pop
>>
>get shitbox
>owner never changed oil for years
>leaks a shit ton of oil "when it drives"
>get it, change oil immediately
>fucking oil filter wasn't even screwed on tight
1-2mm gap, good job guy
>drive it for 2K miles
>take it on hell road, does well
>check oil
>still looks really good
I was going to swap out after the hard drive but I'm thinking about keeping it for at least 3k now
>recommended change is 5K miles
should i just do the 5k and a filter change?
it's a total shitbox
>>
What's a babbys first shitbox that's fun on corners and relatively cheap/easy to find?
>>
File: 1499720589639.jpg (82KB, 900x597px) Image search: [Google]
1499720589639.jpg
82KB, 900x597px
How difficult is it to replace break pads and how easy is it to mess up/make the car more dangerous that it was previous?
>>
>>17647341
>should i just do the 5k and a filter change?
Should do it sooner since it you want to remove the grunge from when the prior owner mistreated the car.
>>
Why is this board burning down?
>>
>>17647667
Step 1. Spell Brake correctly.
Step 2. Read the fucking manual.
>>
>>17647683
because of autism
>>
>>17629515
>driving round in the rain with bald tires
>hammering the brakes

Come on man, surely you're not this dumb?
>>
>>17647683
I love how all the good threads I was watching are dead now
>>
>>17647558
any truck ever
>still rwd
>cheap COO
>can adjust amount of hektik with weight in bed
why do you think rednecks like them?
>inb4 work
oh please
>>
This isn't strictly /o/ related, but I figured it was relevant enough to post here.

So I'm only 19 and I have no credit whatsoever, and I want to build some. Is leasing a fairly cheap car a decent way of building credit? I would prefer just buying a car outright from craigslist or otherwise, but recently I haven't found anything that suits my needs or that I like. I would be finding a decent used car at a dealership and make payments on that.

I absolutely loathe the idea of payments but I don't know any other ways of building credit for later in my life.
>>
>>17648539
Get a credit card. Use it for some purchases Here and there. always pay the balance in full. Never do I nly minimum payments.

Tada, you have now built credit.
>>
Are DCT cars fun on the track?
Thread posts: 315
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.