[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here ever daily an 80s or 90s car?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (87KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
87KB, 600x450px
I'm looking to get an SUV from the 80s or 90s and use it as a daily. Willing to buy one and fix it up to proper state. Is it too much trouble? will I be repairing things all the time on a vehicle that old? Will it ever be reliable enough to go on long trips? I've been looking at Cherokee XJs, first gen pathfinders, bronco IIs, blazers/jimmys if anyone wants an idea of what I'm interested in. Thanks fags.
>>
I daily a 96 f150. Parts are cheap. It hasn't had a mechanical breakdown yet. Mpgs are crap but i dont have a monthly payment so its all gravy
>>
I daily a 92 K1500 and will never trust any vehicle more than I trust any 80s (though that's getting pretty old and that's a few more years during which shit could have gone bad) or 90s GM (Ford too I guess) pickup, or same platform SUV like a Blazer, Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban, or fullsize Bronco
>>
>>17625662
Dd an 86 volvo 740. It'll fuck you over periodically as electronics go bad and you wait for parts to come in cause no one stocks them but i love the damn thing. Truck platforms will be similar, minimize the bs electronical bits
>>
>>17625662
>Cherokee XJs, first gen pathfinders, bronco IIs, blazers/jimmys
Any of those would be absolutely brutal on a long trip. Go with a full size for that. Mileage difference isn't big enough to have to put up with the smaller ones on a trip.
>>
>>17625662
The 4.0 XJ's are basically unkillable if you keep up with maintenance. The 2.5 isn't terrible either but it's nowhere near as powerful and the gas mileage difference is negligible. Avoid 84-86 models with the GM 2.8 unless you like oil leaks and blown headgaskets. I still see a lot of XJ's kicking around. Whereas I haven't seen a Bronco or Blazer from that era in years.

>>17626207
I would agree with you if it weren't for the fact that full size SUV's from that era are ridiculously expensive and hard to find nowadays. Have you even seen what Grand Wagoneers are going for?
>>
>>17626207
What do you mean? Would an explorer or something be better?
>>
>>17625662

I daily a '99 Crown Vic. I have never experienced any age related problems yet. Rubber parts don't last forever though.
>>
File: DSCN0422.jpg (439KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0422.jpg
439KB, 1600x1200px
>>17625662
DDs
1992 GMC Jimmy 170k mi.
1997 Chrysler Concorde 48k miles
ex daily
1997 850 T5 211k miles (sold)
1979 Toyota SR5 2WD LWB 278k miles (rotting)
Jimmy just needed all new ujoints, and a transmission mount. Chrysler is trouble free so far, fingers crossed.

Blazer is on temporary stockers until I can get a matching 30x9.5 for the other wheels.
>>
I daily a 1978 Mercedes 300D
love it
>>
>>17625662
Trying to get a '88 Pontiac Fiero Formula but can't find shit that's not broken.
>>
>>17625662
'95 F150 and '94 Mustang. Instead of car payments, you're putting money into repairs. Things will go wrong, but parts are generally inexpensive, and I work at a shop. I trust my cars for the distances I drive them, though I also keep up with maintenance and servicing.
>>
>>17626553
If you dd a 78 merc, you love it, that's understood
>>
>>17625662
'92 Ford Ranger

Overall the most expensive thing to change is the oil.

The only thing I've had go wrong is the alternator died (which I replaced myself for $100 or so), the slave cylinder broke (which was the original, and it has 200k+ miles on it, so not surprising), and the starter died (which I also fixed myself).

So, except more things to go wrong then on a new car (fiat-Chrysler not withstanding) but unless you get an old luxury car, or something really rare, it should be relatively cheap to fix.
>>
I dd an iroc and I replaced everything over time so I have a brand new car mechanicly
>>
95 accord.
Replaced all struts, new starter, brake mc, all rotors n calipers, n wheel bearings. Removed a/c. P/S leaks real bad. Just gonna take the belt off it. Small leak in a heater hose onto the exhaust. I just keep her filled with coolant for now. Runs good and starts everyday except the abs light turns on when its cold and the car hasnt warmed up yet. Need to do the timing belt and waterpump just for peace of mind. I should do the alternator, fuel filter, and fuel pump too later down the road.
>>
I dailied a 94 Silverado for over 4 years with almost no maintenance issues. My current car is a 92 Cadillac DeVille and it is a piece of dog shit.

They can be great if you get a hold of a decent model. Blazers and Jimmys are god-tier. I'd recommend Explorers as well.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.