[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Understanding countersteer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: tumblr_o4o7rpZh9H1ulojsbo1_500.jpg (65KB, 500x338px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4o7rpZh9H1ulojsbo1_500.jpg
65KB, 500x338px
So I just had my first ever experience of oversteer

>first car, Mk3 Turbo Supra
>its wet
>coming out of roundabout onto 50mph dual carriageway
>turn the wheel and give the usual 3/4th throttle in 2nd to get up to speed
>turbo spools
>lsd locks
>rear comes out
>bam bam on the limiter
>somehow come out unscathed
>somehow also dont panic and maintain even throttle
>steering wheel basically turn itself to counter, I'm aware this should happen
>hold the slide for a good 150 feet

The whole thing was over pretty quickly and happened so fast I was only aware of it as the car was correcting, aside from the miracle that I didn't crash, I wanted to understand how I would have countersteered properly, when the car regained traction it kind of snapped back which I know is indicative of holding the oppo for too long, but there was no indication from the steering feel that I could tell that would let me know that it's time to unwind. I have the same problem with my wheel in racing sims.
>>
>>17619467

also, where would a poor noob like me be able to spend more time getting to grips with car control?
>>
If the front wheels don't lose traction all you do is keep a firm grip on the wheel and steadily steer to keep it on track. Let up on the throttle, not off. That will bring the rear end back on track more manageable.
>>
File: countersteering2.jpg (45KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
countersteering2.jpg
45KB, 600x375px
>>17619467
rear end is skidding and you're steering into the direction of the skid to regain traction and all that good shit.

go to a parking lot and fuck around in the wet/snow or with just bald ass tires and figure out how your car will handle with different steering inputs and different throttle inputs

pic kind of related
>>
Dorifto has chosen you
>>
>>17619496
>>17619494

So I have to keep the front wheels pointing the way I want to go while gently coming off throttle. Will there be any indicators through the wheel that the tyres will face a direction other than forwards or is it simply based on intimately knowing the steering ratio?

>>17619497

Does this mean I am Greater London's new Wangan touge drift prodigy?
>>
Also I want to hear other people's stories about their first dorifto
>>
>>17619561
you steer into the direction of the skid. You wouldn't lock the steering wheel in the direction unless you're almost perpendicular to the road, at which point you'd likely be screwed anyway.

Go for a hoon in a wide open place when its raining and experiment with different throttle applications and it'll become apparent how much counter-steering you need depending on the angle of the skid. If you don't steer enough, your car might snap directions which is bad. If you steer too much you might start skidding in the other direction, which can also be bad.

watch a bunch of drift fail videos on youtube and keep looking at steering wheel input in relation to skidding and shit like that.
>>
>>17619467
also, 3/4th throttle in 2nd in wet conditions, high steering angle or not, sounds like a good recipe for wheelspin.
>>
>>17619591

Thanks for the advice, I definitely go out and try and learn the car a bit more

>>17619625

Yeah I wasn't really thinking, I was distracted and just did what I usually do on that road in the dry.
>>
>>17619494
>Let up on the throttle, not off.

Why not off?
>>
>>17619577
I'm glad my gf puts up with me
>driving home with gf in passenger seat
>it's sprinkling out
>last turn before my street
>get retarded idea
>turn wheel
>yank handbrake
>babies first slide
Probably didn't look very impressive but it totally got me hooked on getting the rear end out

>can't drive through a dirt lot without trying to slide the car
Who else?
>>
>>17619577
Not first dorifto but a dorifto story from recent times
>coming home around 1:30 in the morning, streets empty as fuck
>going down hill notorious for being radared during the day
>see some headlights and get the gut feeling its a cop but think no way
>come to stop sign at bottom of hill and signal to turn right
>loud ass dirtymax turns onto my road so i want to make some noise too
>floor it and use pure v8 torks to break the back end loose
>go sliding all the way across the street with tires screaming
>once I straighten out i look in the mirror for the first time since seeing those headlights
>it WAS a cop
>and he's just turning the other way, no fucks given
>nice
>>
File: 1472766812931.jpg (67KB, 650x539px) Image search: [Google]
1472766812931.jpg
67KB, 650x539px
>>17620563
weight shifts forward and you can REALLY unbalance the car that way.

Read MR cars and how they're more vulnerable to lift-off oversteer. Imagine doing that while you're skidding.

pic not related
>>
File: 1496972725349.jpg (21KB, 460x431px) Image search: [Google]
1496972725349.jpg
21KB, 460x431px
>>17620563
snap city bitch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnhiFucXoVk
>>
>>17620815
Or just buckle the belt before getting in the car like every cop and security guard ever.
>>
>>17620563
Because too little throttle can cause oversteer just as too much can
Google lift off oversteer.
>>
>>17619467
As the back end starts to come back into line, you should give more throttle and straighten the wheel at the same time as the car straightens.

It takes a bit of practice but the key to it to make sure you start straightening the car really slowly by easing off ever so slightly tthen applying more throttle. You want the rear wheels to slowly gain traction back, not suddenly. keep them just over powered
>>
File: c o o l v i b r a t i o n s.jpg (37KB, 640x384px) Image search: [Google]
c o o l v i b r a t i o n s.jpg
37KB, 640x384px
>>17619577

>powerslide at 40 MHP
>think I'm drifting
>car doesnt respond to steering anymore
>this is my life now
>>
is this OP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixSea3P338k
>>
>>17620815
funny story was out on car meet other day me and 2 other mr2's
>First corner out of parking house I drive as usual, confident that my feel from the car from endless racing I know how it will oversteer
>my car just randomly violently snaps into oversteer without any warning unlike usually
>bring it in line as quickly as it went

>second set of lights other mr2's hit gas and I can see one of their rears start to go out of control, but its kept in check.
>Third set of lights with corner.
>the other mr2 accelarates out of turn, starts sliding slightly and then snaps backwards within a blink of an eye.

thats the story of how 3 mr2's snap oversteered through a rainy, dark city at midnight during a 300m long drive
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.