[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me bleed my clutch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 20170727_174223.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170727_174223.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
Hi /o/, I'm having some trouble bleeding my clutch. For some context: this morning when heading to class I found my clutch would only return halfway. I only drove it for a minute or two. The night before it worked normally. After consulting the internet I bought a bottle of brake fluid and and hooked up pic related to the slave cylinder (excuse the dogshit phone pic). If it's hard to see, basically it's a plastic tube over the nipple running into a plastic bottle with some fluid in the bottom.

When I first began bleeding I didn't have that setup, I just had the nipple exposed. I definitely sucked in hella air. With the current setup I have been pumping the clutch 5 times, leaving it depressed, then opening the valve and letting fluid drain out. This worked great for awhile but it no longer pushes the fluid any further. You can kinda see in the picture near the water bottle where it stops. My car is on all four wheels, not jacked up, if that helps. How do I go about getting all the air out and moving the fluid?

Car is a 2001 (mk4) VR6 Jetta
>>
I forgot to mention, the clutch currently has no pressure. It hasn't had any since I first unscrewed the valve. It snaps either up or to the floor because of the spring.
>>
>>17614310
Get a buddy to open and close.

Otherwise a smaller (smaller diameter, shorter it both) tube s.t. One pump expels enough fluid to clear the line of air. Keep top full and keep going.

That said air doesn't suddenly appear in the line if something isn't proper fucked in the first place.
>>
Is the clutch master cylinder dry?
>>
>>17614428
I'm not sure. Why would it be? Doesn't the fluid run from the master to the slave cylinder? There is definitely fluid by the slave, so I would guess there is some in the master.

>>17614363
Thanks, I didn't consider the size of the tubes. I couldn't find any smaller tubing, but I'll cut the current one after some dinner.
>>
>>17614310
You have air in the clutch line/slave cylinder.

If you can't find someone to help you out, try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ZF5EAnhnw

>pump the clutch and keep it pressed down
>open the bleeder. The fluid should squirt out
>close the bleeder immediately
>raise the clutch pedal, then pump and back to step 1

Repeat this 5-6 times (or more, since you introduced air into the system), and don't forget to refill the master cylinder every couple times.
Also, you should elevate the part of the hose attached to the bleeder so the air bubbles rise up. However, if you do this method, the positive pressure should make sure no air gets back

>tfw did the same thing as OP when bleeding clutch for the first time, and wasted 3 bottles of brake fluid figuring out what to do
>>
>>17614485
>so I would guess there is some in the master
>trying to diagnose a problem
>making unverified assumptions
Good luck with that.
>>
>>17614618
My apologies. The point I was trying to make is that I have plenty of fluid in the reservoir and fluid flows to the slave, therefore the master cannot be dry. I worded my response very poorly.
>>17614596
I saw that video earlier. I tried it but got a similar result to what I had been doing. I'm about to run outside and cut the tube, your technique worked until I hit a point where no more fluid would push through the tube.
>>
>>17614735
You may need a master cylinder rebuild, which isn't too hard on a motorcycle, not sure on car.
>>
Update: I am able to get fluid through with a shorter tube. What has been working for me is leaving the bleeder open, the pumping the clutch. It is pushing fluid through and there is an occasional air bubble. I have done a few dozen pumps and there is no difference in the movement of the clutch: it's either fully in or out. Do I keep pumping? Am I missing some step?
>>
>>17614982
Senpai don't leave the bleeder open

You pump the clutch (then hold it down) to build up pressure in the system

Then you crack the bleeder open for 5 seconds and the old fluid (or air) gets pushed out

Then you close the bleeder so no air gets in

Then you go back to the pedal, and lift it up (it should be stuck down since you let the pressure out). When you lift it up it draws new fluid from master/reservoir (so make sure it is always full).

Then you pump it again to build up positive pressure, jam the pedal down, then crack bleeder, etc, rinse and repeat

You'll know your done when no more air comes out. Then close the bleeder (for good), and pump the clutch and it should be nice and springy.
>>
>>17615145
If you dont close the bleeder, air will get sucked up every time the pedal is lifted up. That's why you gotta keep it jammed down
>>
>>17615145
>>17615153
Thank you, expect this brings be back to the same problem which I had before. The fluid doesn't move through the tube. Which piece creates the pressure in the system? I'm thinking that piece may have gone bad, leading to my clutch not working properly in the first place.

Could it be like >>17614751 said and I need a master clutch cylinder rebuild?

Thanks for all your responses guys
>>
>>17615226
I also want to add that this car has ~220k miles on it. It's very likely something broke.
>>
>>17615294
>>17615226
Yeah in that case you're going to have check master, slave, and hydraulic line for leaks, if there's none then i'd bring it to mechanic to figure out whats wrong. If leak you can try replacing the component yourself
>>
Clamp the hose going to the stave cylinder, if the pedal isn't solid your master is fucked
>>
whatever you do DON'T PUSH THE PEDALL ALL THE WAY DOWN or you are likely to break the spring in the master cylinder - you have to be gentle bleeding a clutch, don't stomp on it like you would a brake pedal.

>just found my clutch would only return halfway
If you are talking about the pedal it sounds like your spring is already broken.
>>
>>17615865
The hose going to the slave cylinder is a hard line.

>>17615913
I haven't been snapping the clutch back and forth, only slowing letting it down. It has been sitting in the fully down position though.

I'm going to see if I can open up the master cylinder today and check the spring. Master cylinder replacements are looking to be around $50, so I would prefer to open it up myself to confirm first
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.