[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unkillable cars?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

Hey /o/, need your advice on a car purchase. Essentially I'm looking for a car or truck that can survive extensive driving in rural, inhospitable areas (alaska and canada) without breaking down.

I don't care about amenities or comfort, this is strictly a utilitarian vehicle. basically it just needs to be able to:
-pass inspection
-keep running in a harsh climate(!!!)
-have enough room for 4 people, as well as storage space for bags/camping gear/electrical equipment.
-AWD/4WD

Normally I see a lot of people recommending Corollas et al for reliability, but I'm searching more for extreme durability, not just reliability for regular usage. This is going to be driven in extremely remote, and cold, areas, and I'm not a mechanic, so breaking down and not being able to get the car running again is 100% not an option.

I'm looking at Land Cruisers and W123/W124 300TDs right now, are there any other cars I should be looking at? Budget is $5-8k usd roughly. Thanks.
>>
>>17606442
second gen dodges with the 12 valve cummins motors are pretty bulletproof if you take alright care of them, as are squarebody chevies and the 1st gen superduties.
personally given where you'll be at I'd look for a fullsize diesel pickup truck for maximum bulletproof, but you're gonna have to get it set up for cold starting with a block heater and plugging it in at night, and you'll probably burn through quite a bit of fuel additive.
at the end of the day the way you'll keep anything running is not beating the dogshit out of it. now if you gotta jump a ditch, whatever, but leaving years and years of road salt, snow, cat turds, whatever, in cracks crevices and other parts of the vehicle is just asking for problems, and if you're on basically hoth you really need to be on top of maintenance intervals.
cars that survive in shit conditions aren't good cars so much as they belong to damn good owners.
>>
Just to add, It may be overkill, but look into getting some sort of decomissioned military vehicle I know that they have some older literally unkillable trucks that can run on any type of fuel
>>
>>17606522
good luck getting M35A2 parts up in the frozen shithole of hoth without being jewed out the dickhole for it.
plus, that's just a lot of truck.
>>
>>17606522
Hmm, that actually seems like a really good idea. While the armor and shit like that is unnecessary, military level durability is exactly what's needed. Now we're not gonna be in fuckin barrow or anything, but we're gonna be going north from edmonton and into the NW territories, and it's a whole lot of fucking nothing out there. It's a situation where if we get stranded, we actually die. It would provide a lot of peace of mind to drive something that can't die. It doesn't matter if it gets super fucked up as long as it can limp a couple hundred miles back. I honestly don't care if it would need to be scrapped and replaced after we make it to a city/town, but it absolutely must be able to make it back to some sort of civilization, in basically any circumstance.
>>
>>17606442
>W123/W124
absolute last car you want to be driving in harsh winters, the door locks freeze up the instant it hits freezing temps
>>
>>17606600
oh shit, well that's good to know then
>>
>>17606588
you won't have heat, a/c, in some cases door locks or even weather sealing, parts will be expensive, and you're gonna have to be anal about keeping it greased and maintained so it doesn't shit the bed.
if you're prepared for that, you'll probably be alright. if not, do not buy a military vehicle.
keep in mind just about anything you'll buy that's decommed is ~30 years old if not more.

seriously, what the fuck are you doing? oilfield shit? gold prospecting? killing snowgooks?
>>
>>17606588
Jesus, its not that bad.

Ive done that drive a few times (im assuming yellowknife?)

In a fuckin old sunfire, once in -38 degree weather

Stop being a pussy and just a normal truck or suv and you will be fine.
>>
Where are you purchasing the vehicle op?
>>
>>17606442
Maybe hilux? I heard theyre absurdly tough.
>>
>>17606612
Servicing radio/telecoms equipment for mines, nothing crazy, but it's year round and the idea of getting stranded in winter and freezing to death in a frozen wasteland scares the shit out of me lol
>>
>>17606621
Yeah well i did it on a bicycle, and i was naked
>>
File: 5036337-ORG00.jpg (36KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
5036337-ORG00.jpg
36KB, 600x600px
>>17606644
Get a SPOT gps if you're that scared. They are only about 100bux at any camping store.

Also get a murrican truck, parts are are lot quicker/easier/cheaper up there since everyone uses them for fleet. And gas, because they start way better in cold weather.
>>
>>17606693
a gas truck won't have the torque or the 9 gorillion mile capability anon might need, though
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.