[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Manual tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: wallpaper.jpg (100KB, 640x425px) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper.jpg
100KB, 640x425px
Just bought a Manual V6, and learned the basics to Manual yesterday. Im getting used to taking off but still get nervous when i have to take off quickly. or when i fuck up and I somehow rev up to 6 rpm. any tips to Manual beginner?
>>
Go to a parking lot and practice getting going using only the clutch. That will teach you your bite point. Then don't do it again and just launch normally with clutch and gas. Learn how to move your foot to use both brake and gas for hill starts.
>>
>>17602572
Learn your shift points. Learn where you clutch is "fully" disengaged and vice versa. I've been driving for 4 years and currently own 3 manuals. Jeep, Hyundai, BMW. All of them are entirely different clutches. Take a day and drive through a moderate traffic area and try to shift as logically as possible until you're comfy.
>>
Learning at what rpm and mph & gears your car likes, so you can jump gears once you get a hang of it.
>>
File: IMG_1316.jpg (70KB, 498x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1316.jpg
70KB, 498x640px
>>17602572
>manual
>v6
This is an extremely rare combo. What car OP?
>>
>>17602644
It's not though.

Manual v6s are all over thwle MidWestern US. 3000gts, Eclipses, and Tiburons come to mind.
>>
>>17602572
>v6 manual
Better be an Accord or g37 or you're a faggot.
>>
>>17602678
Yeah but those aren't hugely common. On most shitboxes the v6 trim only comes in auto
>>
>>17602644
>>17602644
Mustangs yo.
>>
>>17602870
Manual 6 cylinder Eclipses are a dime a dozen.

Tiburons too.

My local marketplace has two or three manual Eclipses with Ford v6s in them, a a manual Grand Am, and a plethora of Rangers and S10s with manual v6s.

Manual v6s are more common than you think.
>>
File: 6797804001_large.jpg (166KB, 750x562px) Image search: [Google]
6797804001_large.jpg
166KB, 750x562px
this car is available in v6 w/ a manual and faster than most
>>
Not OP but a new manual driver with a question.

Is engine braking bad when done consistently for a few minutes? There's a relatively steep downgrade that takes about 5-7 minutes to descend at ~30mph. Is it bad to ending brake the entire way down?
>>
>>17603274
>Eclipses with Ford C6 in them
Wat, what engine?
>>
>>17603291
If by engine braking you mean letting the vacuum created by a closed throttle body slow the engine down, no. there's nothing wrong with doing that. if you mean downshifting, then yes, it burns out your clutch faster than normal.
>>
>>17603292
Not entirely sure. Duratech 3.0 I think..?
>>
>>17603291
no, and it's one of the big appeals of manuals, especially in hilly and mountainous areas. It's also probably safer because you're not using your brakes and potentially overheating them or causing unnecessary wear on them.
>>
>>17603309
Fucking why? Duratec 30s only made like 10 more hp, than the 6G72, and the duratec is DOHC while the 6G is SOHC and are damn good engines
>>
>>17603321
Read >>17603274 before you post again
>>
>>17603299
Which is why you rev match.
>>
>>17603299
>If by engine braking you mean letting the vacuum created by a closed throttle body slow the engine down, no.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Nice.

>>17603313
Ah, good to know.

Thanks for the reply guys.
>>
>>17603319
Not a clue.

Never been much of an Eclipse guy.
>>
>>17603330
So how close do you have to get to minimize clutch wear? I'm usually able to get within about 300rpm of the actual speed and let the clutch out. Sensitive cable throttles are hard to control.
>>
>>17602572
Drive around until you're used to it. Rev matching is a meme.
>>
>>17603291
No, but it drinks fuel.
>>
File: IMG_0761.jpg (471KB, 679x1013px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0761.jpg
471KB, 679x1013px
>>17603299

What the fuck! /o/ told me to always downshift when approaching lights and stops- not to put it neutral and coast.

What's the truth?!?!
>>
>>17604252
We're talking about a minor difference hear. Unless you're roasting your clutch daily, it'll probably outlast your time with the vehicle.
>>
>>17604252
I usually downshift to 3rd then engine brake and before i stall press the clutch and shift to either neutral or first
Waiting for someone to tell me this is a terrible habit
>>
>>17604252
you won't burn your clutch any significant amount faster than normal if you rev match.

The benefits of downshifting are that you won't have to search for the right gear if you need to take off quickly or otherwise. You could argue thats a safety thing but i just do it because rev matching is fun and it easy to slow down then take off slow in second gear if a light turns green
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.