[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heel Toe Downshift techniques

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: heel_toe.jpg (97KB, 845x755px) Image search: [Google]
heel_toe.jpg
97KB, 845x755px
Hey, I've been practicing my heel toe downshift techniques on my temporary Toyota Avensis.
Some nignognette stole my CLK200 and wrecked it, so currently waiting for my Insurance money and I'll be off buying a GT86 (ive descided after long consideration)

Heel toe downshift is rather new to me, and i've been practicing it a fair bit with somewhat success/failiure.

For some reason I can never seem to get it right if I actually use proper Heel Toe, having the ball of my foot on the breaks and hitting the gas with my heel, I can never seem to hit the gas pedal right with my heel.
However if i have the ball of my foot on the breaks, and instead "roll" my foot over at the gas pedal I can do it with a far higher successrate. at least to such a extent at times you dont even notice the gear itself swapping gears.

Am I doing it right? Or am I doing the technique wrong? Should I try get ridd of this habit and focus directly on proper heel toe? Or should i keep using the technique that works best for me? Idunno.

Might be that the break and gas pedal are fairly close to each other on the Avensis.
>>
File: Misje.jpg (183KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
Misje.jpg
183KB, 1080x720px
also here for the curious what happened to my car.
Picture is taken from the local newspaper. Silver car bottom left corner

I miss my CLK ._.
(I just recently had it repainted and just ordered a compressor for it as well not to mention the buttock-load of paperwork I did to get it approved aswell)
>>
>>17601611
au
>>
Heel toe only works on sports cars. The pedal spacing, throttle response, and other factors won't allow you to do it as properly as it should be , thinking you're doing it wrong when all you have is the wrong car
>>
>>17601655
ok thx, yeah I was starting to suspect the pedal spacing.

Guess I'll just have to start doing hard practice once I get my GT86.

I was hoping I could do it as much as possible on the Avensis so that I didn't have to do too much practice on my future car and risk damaging it when I get it wrong.
>>
>>17601583
Just practice more, also if you brake harder it will be easier to blip the gas pedal.

I almost feel like I'm skipping when I do it, as gay as it sounds.
>>
>>17601726
nothing is gay if you play eurobeat while doing it :P
>>
heeltoe is only helpful when driving at >8/10 on a track under hard braking. it's stupid and the sure sign of a boyracing faggot on the street.
>>
>>17601797
Not really. It's fun and makes the car smoother on safe turns
>>
>>17601583
Forget the "downhill" and "uphill" nonsence.

Why would you brake approaching a hill?

It comes to car pedal spacing, foot size and shoe you are wearing.

Personally most times with my size 11 feet I do the "uphill" movement as trainers are wide footed. But "downhill" in formal / semi casual tighter fit shoes. Especially so if the sole is thin.

Do what feels right and practice practice. Ignore morons who say you can only do it on a track. No one is born doing things that require any sort of precision exercise, or learn from doing it in the situation it is to be used in in isolation.
>>
>>17601828
>rainers are wide foot
Hey, good advice, there are no tracks where I live, However, I live in a country that is literally the country of Mountain passes, where people every Easter bloody risk their lives driving through passes that regularly have rock slides just to get to their cabin for a weekend. There are so many mountain passes here and very low population, I'm bound to find somewhere where there is hardly any traffic and has a good sized amount of curves.

The track would be nice and all. But I have respect for those who master the regular streets. Given that they actually organize and do their best to not get other Traficant involved.

I always use my work shoes as they are comfy as heck, look actually pretty decent as normal shoes and has metal tip protection to boot.
>>
>heel and toe in a 2014 mustang
It's impossible lads
>>
>>17601797
actually, if you're pretty good with heel toe and know how to match your gear to revs, you'll be driving way more fuel efficient for normal driving.
Not to mention if you turn really good at it, you'll stop any unnecessary jerking movement of the car and you'll be driving smooth as f.
So I don't see why there aren't any reason to NOT to learn it
>>
>>17601583
It's really easy to heel toe in the 86. I always use the method on the left. At first it might feel like the brake pedal is too high but, on track or when you're hooning, you press the brake in enough where the two pedals are even.
>>
your pedals need to be moderately close together in order for it to be more workable. stock pedals on most cars don't really facilitate it. buy some screw-in attachments that are wider and have an extended heel-toe lip on the gas pedal. You also have to be pretty bold about it, as the pedal needs to be pushed down pretty significantly for it to feel like it makes sense.

I actually don't have enough foot space to completely roll my foot to the side like in your image, I have to effectively do an in-between of that image and rolling my ankle sideways. It works just fine, however, and I'm able to click down through gears while braking very effectively.

What helped me learn mostly was just thinking about it as just rev matching and slowly adding in braking to the mix Once you figure out how to easily rev-match your downshifts, then you just have to port the concept over to doing it while braking before a given corner.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.