/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys, looking at buying a 96 cherokee. Guy says it has new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (581KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
581KB, 2048x1536px
Hey guys, looking at buying a 96 cherokee. Guy says it has new leaf springs but he said the bolts on the shocks are broken and it wobbles at high speeds. My question is will replacing the bolts fix the wobble? Also any general advice involving this vehicle would be really appreciated.
>>
>>17589669
Assuming he isn't BSing you than yea, but take a look at those shocks he's talking about and see if they need replacing. It's weird to say that the bolts are loose, anyone could tighten some bolts.
>>
>>17589772
No not loose, broken. I guess it's common for these vehicles. Anyways even if I did need to replace the shocks that wouldn't be too bad would it?
>>
I can help you but I'll need more info straight 6 or V8? Laredo or Limited? WJ or some other variation? Miles?

Chances are when they say "its an easy fix just replace some bolts", he's fucking with you because if it was that easy of a fix and he wasn't a cunt he'd either fix it before trying to sell or maybe he's selling it because he can't fix it. Don't be seduced by all that fancy stuff hes trying to say like new leaf springs. How rusty is it and have you driven it yet? Because thats the ultimate way to tell for yourself if something feels fucked or not.
>>
Not any of the posters above...
Although of Jeep parts are pricey as hell. I'm not trying to talk you out of this purchase. I always thought Jeep was a fun manufacturer. Shockingly decent mileage and comfortable.
I hope this works out for you.
Where do you live? Do you get snow?
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 750x1334px
>>17589846
Really appreciate it. So I don't really know but here's the only picture of it. I'm going to try to find time to go check it out sometime this week and I'll post back again.
>>
>>17589874
Thanks I hope it works out too. I'm in Iowa, we get some decent snow.
>>
>>17589893
Looks like an xj can't tell the year though but I'm sure its a laredo. Looks pretty beat up from what I can tell, dents and is that tape on the passenger window? Cherokee's are easy to work on and are pretty damn durable. The Straight 6s are the best built engines in my opinion and are way easier to work on than the V8's, so if I were you I'd stick to the 4.0s if possible. I'm going to assume you're just getting into wrenching and I'm going to tell you now you'll have a lot of fun working on a cherokee. Everything is pretty straight forward under the hood and things aren't pretty bad when you need to reach something.

Parts are pretty common at any junkyard so you won't have to worry about pricing unless you're afraid to get your hand dirty. Plus bonestock cherokee's are known at their heart to be offroad vehicles so you always have that option available. I'm at work right now so sordy if this all sounds incoherent I'm phoneposting at the moment.
>>
>>17589901
That's probably one of the most comfy snow safe rides you can get.
>>
Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll go check it out and report back here in a few days.
>>
Also did some research and learned I might have to replace the tie rod ends and ball joints to fix the wobble. Parts didn't look too pricey and labor looked relatively easy.
>>
>>17590021
There was never a V8 XJ from the factory.

>>17589669
Having owned a handful of XJ's, it sounds like bs. But who knows. He is most likely talking about the upper rear shock bolts. Those snap off pretty often, as they are long, thin, and exposed to the elements. You can easily knock them from the holes they're in and replace them with a 6 or 8mm bolt. Can't remember which.
If it's not that, the wobble may be due to worn front suspension components. You can find enough info online about that to kill a cow.

>>17589874
I'd like to know where you're buying your parts from, because parts for XJs are as cheap and plentiful as they come.

>>17589893
Those wheels are off of a newer 2000-2001 XJ. Not that it matters.

>>17590601
You'll have to see what's actually worn before you go full-on parts cannon. Go with a buddy and have him wiggle the steering wheel while you get underneath and see what has play. Whatever has play is what you need to replace.
>>
>>17590642
Thanks yeah I definitely need more information from the guy selling this. I'm sure there's something he's not saying.
>>
>>17590682
Well, the seller has the right to withhold info. It's up to you (the buyer) to look into the item in question (the cherokee), to see if it's worth your money. Know what I'm saying?
You really should check it out with a buddy. See what steering components may or may not be worn out. Check if it needs u-joints. Check for rust in the rear quarter panels or rockers. Check that the fluids have been changed, etc.

The seller is never going to tell you exactly what's wrong. Sorry, OP but it seems awfully naive of you to assume that they would.
>>
>>17590777
Yeah I know exactly what you mean and I agree. It's my own fault if I get fucked for not doing enough research or not asking the right questions.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.