[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AC Help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 839861521.jpg (59KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
839861521.jpg
59KB, 800x600px
hey, i have a quick question about fixing my AC. im not a car guy and i would like to try to get this done without taking it in if possible. Or if i do have to take it in, id like some sort of an idea on what is going on/how much to expect to pay so i dont get ripped off.

I have a 2007 ford focus, it blows the air through fine but the air is not very cold. i bought a can of the refrigerant and charged it up and it was working perfectly for a few days but its already back down to like 20%. not very cold, to the point where i get sweaty in my car.

My first though is a leak somewhere maybe? but my car doesnt drip anything, but maybe its an air/something else leak?( i dont know how this system works.)

Is there anything else i can do for it at home without a bunch of gauges/compressors ect i am reading about from google? Thank you
>>
Get a parts car with decent AC and swap systems.
>>
>>17589660
is this an /o/ meme?
>>
That's a leak. AC refrigerant is a clear gas so when it leaks out it doesn't leave a trail. You can either get a tool that detects this refrigerant and beeps faster as it detects more, or you can refill it again and put UV dye in the system so when you shine a UV light at the like while wearing special glasses the leak shows up neon green. The UV kit can be picked up at most auto stores where I live, while the tool is specialty and probably expensive. Track down the leak, replace that part recharge the system.
>>
>>17589647
>My first though is a leak somewhere maybe?
Yes. And it's going to be expensive as shit to fix because you own a Focus.
>>
>>17589685
so the cost to take it in somewhere would probably be dependent on whatever part has a leak..any idea on a range of what the possible parts would cost? can a leak be patched at all?
>>
>>17589700
fuuuu my worst fears. how expensive we talkin?

Also, would you mind explaining why its so expensive becuase its a focus?
>>
Leaks cannot be patched. It could be the AC lines, compressor or condenser. If it is your compressor probably looking at a $5-700 bill plus a recharge fee.

Honestly just roll the windows down.
>>
>>17589710
fuck, thats what ive been doing. im fine on my own but im driving with a girl to palm springs, CA (110 degrees) this weekend and i wanted to finally get this fixed and pleasant drive..

if i take it in, let them give me a quote and come out without paying anything? get an estimate on it and then tell them ill come back later? if its just hoses or a cheap part id do it, but if its more that a few hundred im going to tell her were taking her car.
>>
>>17589706
The Focus is a bitch to work on. Especially if it's the compressor that needs to be changed.
Obviously, get the car checked out first, because it could just be a hose leaking instead.
The shitty part about AC problems is that you need special tools to check the system.
>>
>>17589739
ya, thats all i was finding on google results of how to check it too. its fine to take it in and just get a estimate without having to pay them anything? or will they charge to look at it?
>>
If you bring it to a shop (at least what mine does) we will fill the system with dye and then look for the leak. So it will still run you something. We charge $79 Canadian.

Your best bet is get some insta fill in a can and use that if you wanna keep the lady cool.
>>
File: 1401732043484.jpg (96KB, 599x602px) Image search: [Google]
1401732043484.jpg
96KB, 599x602px
>>17589739
ps, thanks for your help.

>>17589751
ya, i guess let it run through the day before and stay cool at least on the way there. smart idea. thanks a ton!
>>
>>17589739
Is the compressor on the bottom of the engine? Might not be to bad to do if you just drop the subframe for easier removal. Never done the Focus A/C before. Here in Newfoundland people only use it 2-3 months of the year anyways.
>>
Rent a car for $50 that day you drive the girl. Sweat your ass off the rest of your days.
>>
>>17589760
ya, being in southern california, this is a real bitch for me. were just starting the high heat months till october probably
>>
What are some good cars where fixing the ac is cheap? I can think of a crown vic and a Camry.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.