[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

headlight interior coating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: IMAG0030~2.jpg (2MB, 3000x3578px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0030~2.jpg
2MB, 3000x3578px
I got a used 2010 prius that had some water inside one of the headlights. Being the enterprising anon I am, I removed the headlight to clean the inside and seal the leak. That was a pretty painstaking process that involved heating the headlight in the oven to melt the sealant. After putting the whole thing back together, pic related. All these streaks that look crappy. It seems there was sime sort of coating on the inside if the headlights that was damaged when I wiped the water away. I've been looking around, but I haven't found much info on this. Anyone have any idea how to restore the inside of the headlight(again)?
>>
Buy a new headlight
>>
>>17588304
looks almost like hard water stains, if it is just let some vinegar sit on the lens for a few minutes before cleaning it again.
>>
>>17588371
Thing is, apart from some minor water spots, the streaks weren't there before cleaning. That's why I think there is some coating that needs to be cleaned out. I don't think there's hard water deposits.
>>
I know mentioning his name/channel on /o/ triggers the autistes sometimes, but ChrisFix has a couple videos on this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNWTidkxcmQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEJbKLZ7RmM
>>
>>17588350
This, I just did
>>
>>17588426
Thanks, though he doesn't seem to have the same self-inflicted issue I have. The headlight is currently dry and doesn't leak, and the outside is not damaged or foggy, just like new.

I'd take the headlight out and just start cleaning, but it's such a long process that I want to get some ideas to try first.
>>
Never heard that headlights have any kind of coating inside. I cleaned the insides of my headlights once and it was just regular uncoated plastic, the only thing that started peeling off slightly was the reflective coating of the reflector.

Did it start streaking when you started cleaning the inside? Perhaps it wasn’t just water that leaked into the housing? Did it feel greassy, or anything?
>>
It just looks like you didn't rinse and dry it properly.
>>
>>17588896
I only noticed the streaking once it dried. I can see some spots I didn't wipe on the headlight are still perfectly clear. I'm not sure I recall if it felt greasy or anything. I only wiped it with regular water.
>>
>>17588304
>Prius
Sell it and buy something else
>>
>>17588304
I've wasted way too much time trying to fix old headlights. It's a lost cause. Just get cheap replacement housings on rockauto.
>>
>>17589169
i would also just replace them. if my headlights were like OPs pics, it would drive me fucking ntus
>>
File: IMAG0034.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0034.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
I've been sticking a cotton ball in there with various stuff on it to test what works best. Vinegar and alcohol both did nothing, I'm trying WD40 now. It's a bit hard to tell if the wD40 will work because it's slow to dry, though that might be a solution itself. The next thing to try will be detergent and water.
>>
>>17589154
why didn't I think of that? then my headlight won't be messed up anymore.
>>
>>17589345
because youre dumb. case in point
>I got a used 2010 prius
>>
>>17589386
jokes on you I already knew I'm dumb
>>
File: IMAG0035.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0035.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
ta da
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.