[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me shift

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_0401.jpg (249KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0401.jpg
249KB, 1024x680px
Hi,

Recently got a 17 STI. It's my first manual DD and I have a question.

The car had this weird thing where the revs don't drop (rev hang I think it's called) very quickly you go to shift. It makes it very hard to shift smoothly I find.

What I do is shift and then gradually let out the clutch until it catches and then release and accelerate away.

How bad is this? Am I ruining my car?

I don't have any friends I can ask because I'm the only one I know who drives stick.
>>
i thought it was just a heavy flywheel
>>
>>17587832
You might wear out the clutch slightly faster, but you won't damage the car the way you're doing things right now.

You could try waiting for the revs to start dropping before you shift, or if you don't mind spending a little money, you can get it tuned.
>>
>>17587841
Nope, that's how the ECU is programmed from the factory. A lot of newer manual cars (especially if they're turbo) have rev hang programmed in to at least some degree. It's supposed to reduce emissions, but all it really does is annoy the driver.
>>
>>17587867
yuck.
>>
>>17587832
You need to get a tune to fix it. Or just learn to drive with it the right way for that bullshit emissions crap.
>>
Ive been wondering about this too, thanks for peace of mind
>>
Thanks guys, I really like this car and I don't want to break it.

The only thing left to figure out is the heel toe downshifting. I don't think my feet are wide enough...
>>
File: IMG_4107.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4107.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>17588011
The brake and gas pedal are very close together on the STI, traditional heel-toe technique may not work if your feet are two wide.

Instead, brake and roll the side of your right foot to blip the throttle. Enjoy your vapemobile.

t. 2015 sti vapenoble
>>
>>17587832
>>17587841
The rev hang in 1st and 2nd is for emission control. It's in the tune. It can be tuned out. You can also trick it out with a lightweight flywheel but that makes daily driving a bitch if you're still on the stock tune.
>>
>>17588042
Edit: too*
>>
File: IMG_0724.jpg (129KB, 640x357px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0724.jpg
129KB, 640x357px
>>17588042

Love the World Rally Blue desu.

Almost makes me regret getting Dark Grey.
>>
>>17587832
I shift like I do in any other car. My first and current car, a 94 GT, it does the same thing. I just give it a little gas as I let out the clutch. Seems to work fine. I googled it and saw that other people complained about it before as well. Doesn't seem to be a problem though.
>>
>modern shit with cuck technology
This is why you should've bought a 3k civic instead
>>
Are you in the states? One of these exact cars in the exact same colour just showed up near my street.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.