/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning how to drive stick

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (112KB, 640x397px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 640x397px
So I'm learning how to in a diesel ford van because that's all I have access to.

Will learning how to hill start on a dirt road make it easier on pavement? I got the hang of shifting it and starting on flat lands (it's a little jumpy). Also how can I do it in traffic without pissing anyone off?
And I smell the clutch every now and then so I am hoping it's just a symptom of learning because the van isn't mine.

And what is a cheap car that I can learn on?

I got the basics and being able to start without gas but does anyone have any other tips?
>>
a cheap car to learn on is any japanese econobox from the 90's. civics, carolla, 626, 323, lancers etc etc.
however a good car to learn on is something that's heavy and has fuck all power. if you can learn to drive something like that and learn to hill start it, you can drive pretty much anything.
>>
Starting without gas isn't really practical and will lead to lots of stalling and annoying other drivers when you drive a petrol car. Diesels are generally much easier to do hill starts in too.
Just give it a bit of gas then lift the clutch as quick as you can without stalling or bouncing it'll take a few goes til you work out how to use that particular clutch properly. As soon as the clutch is fully up, snap change to 2nd. The only difference for hill starts is adding more gas.
You can easily master it in a few hours.
>>
Practice practice practice
>>
Every clutch is different. If you master one that's great, here's another one completely different. Long shift throw and clutch grab and immediate hydraulic assisted short throws are miles apart in feel.

>>17581460
I like this idea. The weight and lack of power will tempt you to overslip and drag the clutch which are both shite habits.
>>
File: nurburgring-supercut-video-02.jpg (215KB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
nurburgring-supercut-video-02.jpg
215KB, 2048x1360px
>>17581460
>mazda 626
They're all automajics in LA. Civics got a rice tax and there is no 323 here.

>>17581467
I heard starting without the gas is to help get used to the clutch.
>few hours
I spent about 3 today on the hill. I think I can do it pretty good now. Onwards to traffic

>>17582075
Thx

>>17582106
I know that. Im just trying to learn. Getting used to other cars will be the next phase
>>
>>17581449
just do it holy shit. why do ppl on this board act like driving stick is so hard? who needs to actually buy a shitty civic to learn on, buy the car you want and drive it
>>
Old BMWs have extremely good sticks. Look into them
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.