[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Missing flywheel/clutch cover?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

>fell for the 3k civic meme
>bought a 2005 civic 5-speed manual with 120k miles
>drove it for 2 months now, for over 2000 miles (including 500 mile road trip)
>early today changing out old splash guard
>see pic related

Is my car missing a flywheel or clutch cover? the view is from the driver side, and is next T

there seems to be a very slight amount of oil leaking out as well, but the oil level from the dipstick still shows its full (could be manual transmission fluid; i didn't check the level)

What's weird is I took it to a decent mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection and he didn't say anything. And later that month I took it to a different place for a manual transmission fluid change, and they didn't say anything either.

So what is the part I'm missing? there's clearly two unused threaded holes for something to go there. Also, how dangerous is it to not have a flywheel/clutch cover?
>>
From what i can see is it the part listed as (1) in this diagram?
>>
another view, though it's hard to get a full shot
>>
Not dangerous from a safety perspective, but if your clutch gets dirt/salt/oil on it you're going to be replacing the clutch.
>>
>>17579210
>Not dangerous from a safety perspective, but if your clutch gets dirt/salt/oil on it you're going to be replacing the clutch.

thankfully not dangerous, but still pissed i was scammed

Does it need a gasket? or even RTV silicone? Or should I just use two screws and call it a day
>>
>>17579089
Just replace it. Doesn't matter why it's not there. Fixing the occasional thing is better than spending 15k on a newer econobox.
>>
>>17579255

I don't know ricegrinder shitboxes but on my Mustang it just gets bolted on.
>>
lol

its a piece of crap floppy sheet metal cover. You can probably walk out of a junkyard with one for free.

Also,

>I WAS SCAMMED!
>Because I'm missing a $5 cover that the PO probably didn't even know was missing!
>>
>>17579288
Those only go missing when they are taken off and not replaced. That means someone was in there fucking around.
>>
>>17579255
>buy ancient car
>something is wrong with it
>scammed

You werent scammed. You bought a used car.
>>
>>17579191
There's obvious chunks missing from the bell housing. Looks like the flywheel got loose at some point.
>>
>>17579411
the top part that's all black and cakey is actually the oil pan; for some reason, there's a thin layer of oil coating the transmission and oil pan and i'm scared it's a transmission leak.

but the person I bought it from had the clutch replaced at 100k miles, so that's probably why it's loose (and why whoever changed the clutch forget to re-install the flywheel cover)
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.