[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Too Much Oil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: feels-real-sad-man-5546882.png (42KB, 500x431px) Image search: [Google]
feels-real-sad-man-5546882.png
42KB, 500x431px
Please halp!

So I've just poured a gallon of motor oil into my mom's 2007 Audi turbo quattro (the oil light was previously on). On the way back from the store the oil pressure light came on.

Can I just siphon the oil out of the car or does it need to be towed to a dealership?

I had no idea putting too much oil in a car was even a thing. The car drank the whole thing and there was even room for more- why is overfilling even possible?

I didn't drive the car very far but I'm worried about it. What should I do?
>>
That car is as good as gone, best you face the music like a man and either pay for a whole engine replacement or scrap it.
>>
>>17578399
You could blow seals out it depends is it just over or really fucking overfilled. If it's really overfilled you should drain it from the plug or get it out of the dipstick with a small hose.
>>
>>17578399
Don't drive it, check the oil level with the dipstick, then drain the oil until it's at or under the full mark
>>
Over filling is worse than under filling.

The motor oil sits in a big pool at the bottom of the engine. A tube sucks it out of the pool, through the filter and sprays it on the internal parts, then trickles down to the pool. Over filling causes the pool to actually be touching the internal parts which are moving. This causes sloshing and foaming of the oil and foam oil essentially does nothing.
>>
>>17578399
>adding a gallon of oil when the entire capacity is like one and a half
You fucked up m8, but overfilling oil should not ruin the engine right away (it only gets bad when it's allowed to burn and cake inside the cylinders). So you probably didn't fuck up too hard.

>Can I just siphon the oil out of the car
Yes, but make sure you measure how much oil you've drained, and be careful not to get any dirt inside.
In fact, it's possible (although neither fast nor very healthy) to do oil changes entirely through the dipstick nozzle, without touching the drain plug in the oil pan.
>>
File: Concerned Gandalf.png (372KB, 602x471px) Image search: [Google]
Concerned Gandalf.png
372KB, 602x471px
>>17578410
>>17578424
>>17578427
Thanks for your responses. I've read articles and saw videos about draining oil through the dipstick shaft and that seems to be what's recommended.

I only drove the car about half a mile so I'm hoping no damage was done.
>>
>>17578484
Do note that since you foamed the oil, the dipstick may not show the actual oil level until it settles down. I honestly have no idea how much time this can take. Take note how much oil you drain; if the oil light was on before filling, you should probably drain 3/4 of a gallon or so.
>>
>>17578509
I'm going to let the car really cool down before checking the oil level.
>>
if the oil light came on while u were driving the car is trashed
>>
...or you drain the entire contents and refill to Audi specifications
>>
>>17578484
If you shut it off as soon as the oil pressure light came on, you're good.

Add oil a quart at a time and then check the level. Not a whole gallon at a time.
>>
>>17578521
Low oil pressure light likely lit up because the oil pump started sucking foam. If OP stopped the engine right away, it should be fine (oil pump failure isn't unheard of for Audi and doesn't lead to immediate engine death, after all, that's what the damn light is there to prevent)
>>
>>17578567
if the pressure light came on then the bearings are probably fucked, if not sentenced to an early grave
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.