[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any performance benefit going from a 5 speed to a 6

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 7 speed manual.jpg (18KB, 470x265px) Image search: [Google]
7 speed manual.jpg
18KB, 470x265px
Is there any performance benefit going from a 5 speed to a 6 speed, or is just for fuel economy? Chevy, Porsche, and Aston are doing 7 speeds now, is there any benefit in that? I feel it'd just make it easier to miss a gear.
>>
You would have to look at the gear ratios to really determine. Most 6 speeds, 5&6 are over drives (if the ratio is below 1:1, it's considered overdrive). On my 6 speed, I'm doing 132mph in 3rd at the limiter so my opinion is the more gears are mostly for the government mpg tests.
>>
>>17578385
In theory you can maximize your power curve... but in practice, you lost time with additional clutch disengagements. Honestly, unless you're fucking fast with your clutch and deadly accurate with matching gears with your power curve, it's not likely something a luxury car needs.

7 speed twin clutch automatics however, THAT makes sense. Practically zero lag time between gears, and it optimizes the power curve to the gear better than a human can.
>>
>>17578414
I guess I should be specific, just talking manuals here. Though I'm curious at what point adding gears in an auto/DCT becomes pointless as well. The 2018 Mustang is getting a 10 speed auto, that just seems insanely excessive.
>>
>>17578428
Good question.
I really don't know. I suppose eventually it becomes a question of "how many gears can we add before the transmission becomes a stupid long and heavy mess?".

Right now Mercedes is at 7 forward 2 reverse, twin clutch with the 722.9 transmission, which is the standard issue transmission for our cars now. I haven't seen anything to suggest they want to drop it yet.
>>
File: C2PCoptXAAEnIRo.jpg (10KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
C2PCoptXAAEnIRo.jpg
10KB, 300x256px
>>17578402
What do you drive?! On my LS1+T56 Camaro, 4th gear is 1:1.

Is like:
1 > 40mph
2 > 65
3 > 90
4 > 120
5 > 155?
6 > OD
>>
File: snow balls.jpg (66KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
snow balls.jpg
66KB, 625x469px
>>17578488
>2 reverse gears
???
When am I ever going to have to go faster than 10kph in reverse?
>>
>>17578541
>tfw my car has five gears and the top two are both overdrive
>tfw 59 horsepower and 3 cylinders
>>
Much like how pushrods push GODS, the best manual is four speed more speed.
>>
>>17578385
Quieter at highway speeds too.
>>
>>17578553
It's not about going fast in reverse, it's about the difference between having high torque in reverse vs having a quiet comfortable movement.
>>
>>17578553
When you're going fast and furious and have to win a race in reverse while your opponent is facing forwards, that's fucking when
>>
>>17578402
>ost 6 speeds, 5&6 are over drives (if the ratio is below 1:1, it's considered overdrive).
On mine, it's 6 speed is overdrive, everything else is a (closer) ratio 5 speed.

>>17578488
>twin clutch with the 722.9 transmission
????
The 722.9 is a slushbox, torque converter in front, standard planetary gearset in the middle with the normal selection of clutches to control them. It's not a DCT transmission. The AMG models get the wet multi-plate clutch for higher torque handling.

>how many gears can we add before the transmission becomes a stupid long and heavy mess?
Honda's also got a 10 speed auto, and 9 speed DCT.

>Though I'm curious at what point adding gears in an auto/DCT becomes pointless as well.
Who knows? Theoretically, you're getting lots of close ratios to help with acceleration, and once you're up to speed, you've got something like 3 or 4 overdrive ratios these days to get cruise economy higher.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.