[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the upkeep like on older (80s-90s) european cars like as

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: XJS.jpg (146KB, 923x523px) Image search: [Google]
XJS.jpg
146KB, 923x523px
Whats the upkeep like on older (80s-90s) european cars like as daily drivers in the US/?
Namely Porsches, Jaguars, BMWs, and Mercedes?
>>
up
>>
Really really really AIDS
>>
>>17576281
Very
>>
>>17576281
More than you can afford pal
>>
alot of money that you dont have because your broke
>>
good answers guys
>>
>>17576281
I daily a '93 w201 and aside from regular maintenance which is ~$200/year and the air pump going out it's been fine. Relatively low miles though, just hit 110k a few months ago.

Finding a car that has been taken care of is the biggest factor in it being a reliable daily most of the time.
>>
>>17576583
thats what I figured, what kind of maintenance do you have to get done?
>>
File: 1984 380SL.jpg (292KB, 2048x1150px) Image search: [Google]
1984 380SL.jpg
292KB, 2048x1150px
>>17576281

OP, honestly it's almost certainly more than you want to deal with.

Even if you get one that's been taken care of and is in good shape, there are going to be issues. You can't avoid the age. If you're mechanically competent, own all the tools, and actually enjoy doing the work you might like it for a while.

Depending on how many problems you have though, after a while you'll start to get sick of it. You won't even realize how much you miss having a car that "justwerks(tm)".

I used this as my daily driver for about 3 years. Love the car, it's a blast to drive, feels good, isn't even that hard to work on or find parts though. The longer you drive one though, the more frustrating it will be every time something goes wrong and you know it's going to cost you time and money to deal with.

Three years of that shit before I bought a low mileage Ford Explorer which is my new daily driver. The 380SL is sitting in the garage waiting on a few little fixes before I sell it.

I don't regret it, but I won't be doing it again.
>>
>>17576615
Just normal fluid changes for the most part, I take care of anything tire and wheel related myself which helps keep costs down.

It's overall a really simple car, if I was daily driving a w124 with 4matic of the same year maintenance would probably be a different story.
>>
>>17576715
Thanks anon.
Sucks cause I love the old Porsches and Jags, especially since they don't cost much to buy.
>>
>>17576764

Yeah, me too. I bought the 380SL (1984) almost on a whim, and I have enjoyed owning it. In between periods of crippling frustration and self loathing.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.