[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know that in almost every scenario, keeping the racing line

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

I know that in almost every scenario, keeping the racing line and griping on the road is quicker then drifting. However, would it be quicker to drift a corner if it were very slipery like if it had snow on it or alot of rain, or simply a non adhesive surface( like heavy gravel in rally)? Does anyone have any valid proof or simply personal experience?
>>
On a track probably still no but in rally it is a usable tactic. Though not really drifting, it's more like shifting the weight of your car around to swing it into the position you need.
>>
>>17574769
no. Grip always wins
>>17574786
Even in rally. Why the fuck do you think Sebastian Loeb kept winning? He was one of the first people to stop the ridiculous sliding.
>>
>>17574829
isnt the drifting a margin of safety the drivers use because they cant see the corner exit? i read that somewhere but i dont know if its valid information
>>
>>17574829
Sliding is used in rally to not crash in cases of sudden lost grip, as well as it being easier to adjust if the corner is tighter or wider than expected.
>>
>>17574829
Rally cars have tight steering racks and wheels that don't turn very far. Early awd systems were basically a static 50/50 torque split which caused a lot of understeer and thus the need t drift.
>>
>>17574838
>>17574833
still slower. OP didn't ask what was safer. He asked what was faster

Also, what's with having to select 50 million captcha images?
>>
File: 1462821778330.png (167KB, 422x506px) Image search: [Google]
1462821778330.png
167KB, 422x506px
>>17574861
>he doesn't use legacy captcha
>>
File: eye_path.gif (28KB, 361x400px) Image search: [Google]
eye_path.gif
28KB, 361x400px
>>17574829
Might be true but still subjective. A rally coarse might simply not be wide enough for a proper turn. Tracks are very wide to set up high speed turns and to accommodate multiple cars at once. Rally roads can be as narrow as the car itself and no way to setup a turn properly.
>>
>>17574861
im op and i asked that question, its safer right? so you dont go too quickly into a corner and understeer?
>>
>>17574769
You kind of have to drift on slippery surfaces otherwise you'd understeer into oblivion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtjeydU1KvU&t=311s
>>
>>17574838
Thanks for the answer!
>>
>>17574882
Understeer is not desired in any form of Motorsports.
>>
>>17574769
you by chance don't put your chrysler minivan into neutral while braking do you?

but in all seriousness it is never faster to drift. and you'll get no proofs from me.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.