[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/o/, do you park in neutral with handbrake engaged, or in gear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: Ebrake.jpg (106KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
Ebrake.jpg
106KB, 1000x667px
/o/, do you park in neutral with handbrake engaged, or in gear without handbrake?

Or both (in gear and with the handbrake)

I always park in neutral with handbrake but some people have been telling me I should just leave it in 1st or reverse
>>
My handbrake release is broken, so I have to reach under the dash to actually release it, which is a bit of a hassle.

So, 9/10 times, I just park it in gear.
>>
File: C452lYoUMAAbLJs.jpg (52KB, 540x497px) Image search: [Google]
C452lYoUMAAbLJs.jpg
52KB, 540x497px
>parking so that front of car is uphill
Leave in first

>parking so that front of car is downhill
Leave in reverse

>using your hand brake
>ever

These are facts.
>>
Everyone at my work drives really expensive cars, so I usually park in first with the handbrake yanked with the force of a million suns, and my tires pointed so if I do roll, I hit the least expensive car around me.
>>
>>17569846
this is fake news
>>
>>17569811
In Texas you can't legally leave a car unattended without setting the handbrake.
>>
I've always put Manuel in reverse with the e-brake engaged
>>
File: Untitled.png (17KB, 620x307px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17KB, 620x307px
Capcha: select bus
>>
>>17569811
Keep in mind if you ever live in a cucked area like San Francisco, if you park on a hill, make sure you curb your wheels. If you don't know what that means, look it up. Most places are level enough that you won't ever care.
>>
>>17569811

Had a friend whose YJ Wrangler was rolled into a bunch of cars back in college because some jerkoff decided to pop the car out of gear and release the handbrake while it was on a hill. He did park it there topless, but I fear for my car's life the day someone decides they hate me enough to do that.

Utahfag btw, there's no way to avoid hill parking here.
>>
Parking break and then put shifter in reverse every time
>>
Parking brake only, except on very steep hills. Turn my wheels maximally too.
Wouldn't your transmission get fucked if someone crashed into your car? (except from the side)
>>
>>17569811

i always pull the handbreak i fucking HATE that fucking sway when you get in
>>
>>17569885
Owner had it coming
>>
>>17569811
both

Anything else is wrong
>>
>>17569851
alternative facts
>>
>>17569858
Never realized curbing the wheels was an actual law, always thought people treated it as a suggestion
>>
Handbrake on and in gear.
>>
>>17569940
>Wouldn't your transmission get fucked

Manual: Nope. It'll just turn the engine against compression.
Automatic: Might shear off parking pawl.

But just try parking a modern automatic without putting it in Park. Can't get your key out. Keyless probably just puts it park automatically.
>>
>>17569811
doing both covers your ass, don't get lazy.
>>
>>17569811
just handbrake. if its an extreme hill (quite common where i live) then in reverse/1st
>>
why put it in first? wouldn't it make more sense to put it in the top gear?
>>
>>17570315
No it makes no difference.
You just leave it in first because you're more likely going to be starting off in first.
>>
First and P Brake.
>>
>>17570345
>>17570315
First has a higher gear ratio so the amount of engine "braking" is stronger even at standstill

That's the same reason coasting in 1st gear with no throttle is so jerky, while coasting in 5 or 6 feels like coasting in neutral
>>
>>17570236
The keyless cars I've driven "turn on" the park brake when you hit the engine stop button.
>>
>>17570236
Ok thx, I thought that maybe a large force could fuck some gear teeth, but I'm guessing the tires don't have the grip to put that amount of force on the transmission.
I haven't driven an auto since a traumatic experience with a ford mondeo in the mountains 20 years ago. It couldn't decide between 3rd and 4th gear and eventually died. Although I did keep flooring it on purpose, so it was partly my fault.
(it was a company benefit, I wouldn't buy some half german half turd)
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.