[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Prelude

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: prelude.png (1MB, 1284x930px) Image search: [Google]
prelude.png
1MB, 1284x930px
Hey guys,

Sorry, I know you're not my personal mechanics, but I need advice before I make a purchase.

TL;DR: Prelude for $500 with cylinder 1 misfire. Good buy?

So I've been looking for a decent car to drive, but I have a pretty tight budget (I'm a university student, go figure) and I've settled on the honda prelude. They're reliable enough, parts are cheap/available, easy on maintenance (aside from the oil drinking, which isnt huge), and they have just a little sporty edge to them. It's pretty ideal.

So my budget is $1000 for the car itself. The average prelude in good condition will sell for $3500-5000 here (canadian), and so I've rested on the idea that I'll have to buy a beat one and fix it up.

After checking out a few nightmares (legit saw one that wouldn't even go into gear), Ive rested on this one, which mechanically is in good condition aside from a cylinder 1 misfire. I used an OBD2 scanner, and that was the only fault. Along with this, the oil light was blinking, so my friend who has owned multiple preludes says it's likely a compression issue.

I've brought him down hard on the price. He was asking $1000, I took him down to $500 and he's ready to make the sale. The thing is drivable and so I can use it gently for the time being. I know I'll have to put some money into getting it fixed, but I have good discounts on parts and labor since I have friends in both fields. It might take a partial rebuild but I'm ready to do that since it'll still amount to less than 2000 with my hookups.

My questions are
1. Is it a good buy?
2. What is the issue with the cylinder? (if any of you can tell. If you need more info, feel free to ask)
3. Anything to keep in mind?

Thanks a lot in advance, guys. Mods, feel free to take it down if this violates the rules.
>>
1. no. unless you have the time and money to buy a new engine and swap it in.
2. well it depends. it might be leaking oil into the cylinder, the spark plug might be fucked, or the intake/exhaust valves might be toasted. I had all 3 of those issues on a $500 mitsubishi lancer I bought.
>>
>>17569651

My friend can get me an engine for 200, and my other friend can do labor for $400. But when it comes down to it, is it guaranteed to need an engine swap?
>>
>>17569655
no, it's not guaranteed, but it might be your best bet depending on the cause.
>>
>>17569658

If that's the worst case scenario and I'm prepared for that, it can't be that bad.
>>
>>17569645
That misfire could be anything from a valve to an oil ring to something stupid like a spark plug wire.

Don't buy it unless he can make it go away.
>>
>>17569667

He just bought it to resell it. He doesnt have any interest in fixing it. Just wants money for parts for his corvette.
>>
>>17569655
If you're talking about doing an engine swap and asking if you should buy a car with a misfire in the same thread, whilst also saying you're tight on money and desperate for a ride, don't get the car that's already broken just because it's muh prelood.
I know it's not what you want to hear, but you might have to grow up and buy a Taurus or something with AC and low miles.
>>
>>17569672

LOOL. I looked at beaters. Civics and Jettas and even a goddamn Aerio. I was thinking of getting one short term until I saved up more money for a decent condition prelude, but if Im gonna be getting one anyway, might as well get it now and put money into fixing it. I'll save money in the end that way.
>>
>>17569645
These cars are literally only worth what you put in them, nobody makes a profit.
>>
File: 1480219406205.jpg (69KB, 694x548px) Image search: [Google]
1480219406205.jpg
69KB, 694x548px
>>17569678
I really don't recommend buying a project car when you can't do all your own work, or at least know enough to know what needs to be done.
>>
>>17569683

Lmfaooo the image cracked me tf up. I can do a moderate amount of work, I did a 4 years of auto in highschool (just graduated 2 years ago), so I can handle most things, but the only engine swap I ever did was on an F150 and we were guided the whole way through, so I couldnt confidently do it on my own.
>>
>>17569680

Yeah but I just want a decent daily for a while. Not concerned about resale just yet
>>
>>17569672
>>17569678

Oh also, I've been wanting to learn more about cars and fixing them for a long time but I've never had a car to work on. This could be my opportunity.
>>
>prelude for [...]
>good buy
choose one
>>
>>17569687
Swap in a new distributor cap/ rotor and see if that fixes things- if it doesn't don't buy the car.
>>
I would honestly just get a sunfire or taurus or something cheap that runs good already.

For 1000 bucks, you can get a decent running sunfire that will probably last you until you have enough to upgrade.
>>
>>17569882

I cant fix it without buying it first or else he'll bring the price up on me lol. Plus as of now it's uninsured so I cant take it anywhere.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.