[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

buying an FC soon. To any previous/current rotary owners, what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: mazda_rx-7_1985_photos_1.jpg (281KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mazda_rx-7_1985_photos_1.jpg
281KB, 1600x1200px
buying an FC soon. To any previous/current rotary owners, what are some things I should look out for when checking out the car?
>>
dont
>>
bought mine for 800$
sold it two weeks later for 850$
easiest 50$ I've ever made
>>
I hope you know how to make a good Seal with your lips around a dick.
>>
>>17568161

Why are you giving miata advice in a FC thread?
>>
>>17567873
It's a shit but cool design. It's just too complicated to seal.
>>
File: 1500413331415.jpg (4KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
1500413331415.jpg
4KB, 240x240px
Prepare for it to break. I got a FB and did everything while checking it out, it all cleared and it still blew a seal two weeks later. To be honest, just preemptively rebuild the engine as soon as you get it cause it'll be way harder if you wait until it blows. The rotary community and everyone else will lead you to believe that you can just buy the rebuild kit after it blows and thats it, but that's almost never the case. The seals are metal and when they break they gouge out the inside of the housing and ruin the rotor, and in my case they, also the center and rear irons. You could possibly get lucky but mostly likely you'll have to buy a new housing and rotor as well as the rebuild kit and now you're looking at ~$2500 instead of the ~$900 for the kit.

tldr just rebuild the engine right away before it blows cause rotards are liars you can't rebuild a blown engine with just the rebuild kit 99.99% of the time
>>
>>17568496
Oh sorry I forgot to say what to look for while you're looking. Just do a compression test man, if it's shit don't get it unless you're gonna rebuild it right away. Check for the normal rust and let the car run all the way up to idle temp and make sure the cooling system is good cause if it's ever been overheated then its a no buy, overheating the rotard will warp the irons. After you do that, turn the car off, then back on again, it should start just fine (it only floods if the car isnt at operating temp yet or you have a RX8), if it doesn't then the compression is bad.
>>
>>17568355
Kek
>>
>>17567873
ask the owner what he did with the car and how he drove it
>did he premix
>how often he checked and filled oil
>did he rev it up regularly
if he didn't do any of that walk away or prepare for a rebuild

>>17568496
anywhere i've red ppl are saying if you blow the engine you don goofed
and should have replaced the seals as soon as something didn't look right

>>17568510
>rx8
why would they put such a weak ignition system on that car
>>
>>17567873
Spent a long hard time considering buying an FC, but the market where I'm at has them between 2500 to 5000.

>So many things can be wrong at the get go and I really don't have the moment to do a whole overhaul on one

>Best advice I read on buying any Rotary motor was, never buy one unless it's running and running good.

A rotary that's not running is worthless to someone foreign to the car.
>>
>>17568454
Are there any better modern materials that can be used that would make a better apex seal?
>>
>>17569048
there are some hard apex seals but they would damage the housing if not taken care of
>>
File: OTT_8685.jpg (482KB, 1024x678px) Image search: [Google]
OTT_8685.jpg
482KB, 1024x678px
>>17568496
>Prepare for it to break. I got a FB and did everything while checking it out, it all cleared and it still blew a seal two weeks later.

THIS
I went through a whole checklist of stuff when I looked at and test drove my FD, only to realize later that some Mexishop it had been taken to gouged a bunch of material out of the rear cast iron housing, so the oil pan couldn't seal, and the threaded holes for the bolts that hold the engine mounts were totally fucked. It would have cost thousands just to do a partial rebuild and replace that cast iron plate, so I spent a little more and put a brand new engine in instead.

Needless to say, I've spent more in about 6-7 months of owning the car than I did when I purchased it.
>>
File: 150844939_29982cce32.jpg (85KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
150844939_29982cce32.jpg
85KB, 500x333px
quick thread hijack, why is the renesis considered the worst/least reliable dorito?
>>
>>17569073
Poor oil injection implementation by Mazda and most of all, user negligence.
>>
>>17569073
engine itself is fine
the surrounding shit is bad
cooling is not that great
starter and ignition system is way too weak for that engine
it's already high compression so no cheap way to put a turbo in it or for it to give big boost
etc
>>
>>17569082
so it could be good after a rebuild and premixing?

>>17569085
cooling as far as heat exchanger system or the actual block? starter and ignition can be upgraded im sure. do they make lower compression rotors? if youre doing a rebuild you might as well if they do.
>>
>>17567873
Get a compression test.
Get a compression test.
Get a compression test.

Seriously do NOT buy one that fails a compression test. You should get 3 strong pulses from both rotors. If even one apex seal is bad then it's likely it's scored the housing and it needs to be replaced.

>>17569073
>>17569082
The Sohn adapter (or just premixing) fixes that. The Sohn adapter replaces the line going between the oil pan and the OMP, instead drawing 2 stroke oil from a separate reservoir so you get the same effect as premixing, you don't have to top off your engine oil as often, and you can then use synthetic because it's not injecting the sump oil anymore.

That and you should look for a series 2 RX8 (08-12) if you can afford it, as the series 1 only has 2 oil injectors, one on each end of the apex seal, and the series 2 adds back the third center injector that all previous Mazda rotaries had.
>>
>>17568496
>I got a FB and did everything while checking it out
obviously didnt do the most important thing, check the compression

>rotards are liars you can't rebuild a blown engine with just the rebuild kit 99.99% of the time
hardly anyone says this, especially for 12as where good replacement housings and rotors are rare and expensive

youre an idiot and trying to blame your problems on 'the entire world but me'

>>17569073
its more reliable than any turbo rotary
>>
>>17568510
>>17569024
>>17569096
OP here, Alright, seems like what I've already heard alot.
Came across an FC today that had a sketchy engine with an owner who didn't know what an OMP was and he didn't premix, or even redline it regularly. Plus the turbo probably wasn't broken seeing as someone had previously removed the belt. Took every ounce of my existence to walk away from the car, but glad I did.
>>
>>17569312
turbo WAS borken I meant*
>>
>>17569312
Good work, OP.
>>
File: tumblr_nsab9a99rV1s6pzx5o1_400.gif (878KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nsab9a99rV1s6pzx5o1_400.gif
878KB, 320x240px
>>17567873
Not pulling a mr cummy on a straight road lmao. don't let those invisible "drunk drivers" run you off the road again
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.