[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LS engine rebuild?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: LM7.jpg (96KB, 500x453px) Image search: [Google]
LM7.jpg
96KB, 500x453px
Hey /o/ i have the opportunity to pick up a 5.3 lm7 long block with 60,000 miles for $600. I'm thinking about rebuilding it to replace my 340,000 engine that's in my truck. How easy is it to rebuild an engine using basic hand tools and what tools do i need? IF i fully rebuild it i will use all oem parts and maybe some performance parts (arp head studs, ls1 head gaskets, cam swap.) Any advice appreciated thanks.
>Pic Related
>>
>>17562746
$500 or no deal
>>
>>17562746
Depends how far you want to rebuild it. It's kinda hard to tell tolerances of a lot of parts without a machinist cabinet, and you can't really hone and deck without a machine shop.

At 60k Miles, I'd just drop it in. A proper rebuild is like 3k lol.
>>
>>17562746
most of it will be a good socket set and a torque wrench
if you want to make your life easy an engine stand and a cherry picker
if the engine only has 60k on it i'd imagine the engine doesn't need much work unless it was abused
>>
>>17562781
What is a machinists cabinet?
Google just shows me a cabinet for tools.
>>
>>17562830
I meant it as a general term. Things like hole gauges, good calipers, indicators, thickness gauges, conrod gauge/bench, and a very flat surface.

Some of that stuff is pretty expensive while some is pretty cheap. If you plan on rebuilding a lot of engines, I'd invest in them. Otherwise they're way too specialty to care about.

Having worked in a machine shop, a lot of the tools and machines needed add up. The most you really need to do is take the engine apart, send stuff off, then put it back together.
>>
>>17562746
60k miles is WAAAAAAAAAAAY too soon for a rebuild

hell my oldass ls1 with 150k miles on it is still too soon for a rebuild

Just stick a cam in it and stroke it to 6.0, bam easy 400rwhp
>>
You're rebuilding an engine at a 1/3rd (if not less) of its useable life span? The engine will last longer than the rest of the truck will anyways, just throw it in unless you're dead set on making it faster.

Watch some youtube vids on basic engine rebuilding, its honestly usually easier for most people to just drop the long block off and have the rebuilders have a run through. Its the same price for the tools as it will be the labor, so unless youre planning on doing some future rebuilds it wont be worth investing in the tools.
>>
>>17562746
like everyone else said, if it really only has 60 just stab it in. most i would do is oil and filter and maybe serpentine belt because its literally going to be the easiest time to do it, and maybe plugs if you really feel like it
>>
>>17562784
>>17562781
>>17562867
>>17562895
>>17562932
I get that rebuilding the engine at 60,000 miles is too soon but i don't think the mileage matches the engine. The guy might be bullshiting about the mileage so taking it to a machine shop and rebuilding it myself would be worth it since the heads are already pulled off.
>>
>>17562939
Also i'm going to look at the engine in a couple of days with a friend that has more experience with these engines than i do.
>>
>>17562939

Save yourself the hassle and buy something that is ready to be dropped into the car.
>>
>>17562939
fair enough

might as well do the heads and a cam then
>>
>>17562946
A ready to drop engine costs 1,000+ so i'd rather go through the hassle of building a better performing engine than dropping a used okay engine.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.