[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replacing hub bearings/brakes advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: hhr.jpg (98KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
hhr.jpg
98KB, 640x480px
Hey /o/ apparently I have an issue with one of my wheel bearings and must be replaced, I was informed months ago by a dealership auto repair shop (big mistake going to those) and said the repair would be 500$ for one. Well i didn't go through with the repair but I am limited to going on city roads instead of highways. I was thinking of replacing it myself because it would definitely save me a few hundred dollars and my brakes indeed do need replacing because i'm hearing that small squeak as I stop my car. Overall i'd like to ask is it very difficult to replace my wheel bearing and would I need to replace the other on the other side? My car is a 2007 chevy HHR LT with 260k miles on it. Runs well it just has those two issues. I know the are repair magnets but I want to be able to do repairs myself in order to save a liot of money. I am just afraid I will mess it up and get my car fucked up more.
>>
>>17562483
If the wheel bearings are pressed in then changing them is a massive pain in the ass, if they're bolt-on assemblies it isn't too bad.

Getting the bearings out of the hub is usually doable with a big ass hammer (but if you live somewhere where cars rust then GG) and some large sockets but putting new ones in either requires a powerful pneumatic impact gun and a massive bolt/nut/washers or a strong press.
>>
>>17562515
Adding more to this, if you've never done car repair work before and have limited access to tools, wheel bearings aren't a very good place to start, especially if it's your only car and you need it to get to work every day. Some towns have DIY shops that will let you rent a bay by the hour and use their tools, and in some cases hire people to help you, that might be a good option for you if it's available.
>>
>>17562483
i'd replace the whole assembly. It adds cost but makes it easier. you can get an oem part for around $140. it just unbolts from the knuckle so you don't need an alignment.
>>
>>17562515
I looked at some videos and they look to be bolted on. I have some friends who may have the tools but if not, I may do that bay by the hour. But yeah i've only done repairs such as replacing the interior handle since the old one snapped :^). I don't hear groaning when i drive thankfully. Then again if I go over 60, I hear a small slight screech so that is a problem with the bearing.

>>17562534
Like this one?
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/29997-05243943.html

UI really do appreciate whatever advice you guys give me. I am very new to this kind of stuff and I really think it's useful o be able to do your own repairs on your car.
>>
>>17562555
I'd buy an oem part. if not oem, then timken.

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/chevrolet/hhr/22715554/2007-year/lt-trim/2-4l-l4-gas-engine/brakes-cat/brake-components-scat/?part_name=hub-assy&position=left
>>
>>17562613
Oh that's what that was. Also the bearing that does need replacing is one of the front ones so I may just do both. I checked at the repair invoice when they left a note regarding it. I have a folder containing all the repairs/oil changes so i can keep whatever was done to my car organized
>>
>>17562613
OP this is defnitely the way to go, buy this, and if you need brake pads/rotors pick some up from RockAuto, then offer a friend who has tools beer and/or food to help you.
>>
>>17562645
I may do that. I do need new brakes/ rotors anyways. I have a couple friends who have some tools such as a good jack and the wrenches required to take my wheels off.
>>
>>17562524
>Rent by the hour
>Implying op won't fuck his car since he knows jack tying up a lift for days costing him more than the original 500$
>>
>>17562483
I literally have the same issue on my 06 with 230k miles. The thing also has caused my front wheels to shake under breaking, fucking up the pads and disk over time. Then there the issue that the shaking has warped the lower control arms. The shaking is so bad that mine now ticks at start and I pretty much gave up on the plan to properly fix the car at this point.

While you are replacing the hub, you might as well replace the control arms as well.
>>
>>17562682
I'll look into that if they develop that same problem. Overall how's yours been holding up besides your issue>? How often did it need to be repaired?
>>
>>17562691
Other then shitty front involving the hubs and control arms. Nothing much. The engine is fucking great as I the ticking is mostly involved with the the hvac system somewhere. The interior is falling apart mostly for me. Replaced all the speakers a year ago and discovered that you either buy OEMs or you break the OEMs to make the bracket to hold aftermarket speakers. The first major interior piece to break for me was the fan speed for the A/C and next was the driver door handle. There there a lot of clear coat issue and paint just chipping off. I would recommend getting a new clear coat. If you want to, I would also recommend fixing the front turn signal cover if you have constant DRL on as it burns through them over time.
>>
>>17562705
My paint is holding up well and my signal lights are doing fine. Sorry to hear about all the other small issues you got. But yeah those interior handles are a bitch to replace, semi easy but a pain at the same time. So right now i'm trying to plan out my repairs whether I should buy new OEM's or be lazy and pay for alignments (might just buy them anyways). I miss going to other places where taking the highway is required and having new brakes is highly important as well. I want this car to last as long as it can and i'm gonna start watching how to videos regarding replacing parts. What in [articular is falling apart int he interior? Carpeting? Fabric on the ceiling of your car?
>>
>>17562721
Carpet is showing signs of wearing out even with floor mats.
Ceiling is fine except for the view burn holes from idiots.
Some of the trim on the door and around the door frames are getting loose.
>>
>>17562728
fug, sucks to hear about the door trim, Theres some black streak stain on my sunroof cover and I am wanting to get that off soonish, I am gonna buy new carpet pads since they're 10$ online. Also I think the passenger interior handle needs replacing because I felt one of the inside parts of the handle getting loose when I was opening it. What material are your seats made out of? Leather or canvas? Mine are leather so it's like sitting in a frying pan when I go in my car :^). I apparently have the "deluxe" version of my model
>>
>>17562483
>My car is a 2007 chevy HHR LT
Those cars, thankfully, do NOT use pressed in bearings. The bearing is one piece with the hub. Definitely doable at home. The bearing/hub itself is held in by 3 bolts
>>
>>17562745
Cloth but I put those shitty leather covers on them to feel special and burn myself in the Texas heat. :^)
>>
>>17562753
Didn't know they made leather seat covers. My car is full black like pic related so it's nice getting into it when its 105 out

>>17562752
Shit really? I just now looked at video of cars with pressed bearings and it does look more difficult to do. I'm just concerned about messing it up because if I fuck up my brakes/bearings, it's completely dangerous. In the mean time, I am gonna search for good brakes and bearings and study how to videos. I truly do appreciate everyone's help and advice. I feel a lot better doing this and I will still definitely get my friends to help with this.
>>
>>17562782
if it helps, look up replacing the wheel bearing on a Chevy Cobalt or Saturn Ion. The HHR shares the platform with them. only difference being that bae model HHR's were 5 lugs while base model Cobalts and Ions were 4 lugs. otherwise virtually identical. procedure should be the same for either.
when you get the hub, you have to specify whether or not your car has the anti-lock brakes (ABS) which were optional.
http://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/wheel-bearing-hub-assembly-frnt/chevrolet/hhr/2007?vehicleSet=true

You can see it's just a single assembly. No need to have a hydraulic press press in the bearing.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.