[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOTT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 56

File: 2017-07-17 12.11.48.jpg (978KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-17 12.11.48.jpg
978KB, 1536x864px
Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread Thread

I need some help with my 2003 Cavalier. The area with the grating has a lot of old leaves stuck in it, making a wretched musty smell whenever I use the air con or blowers. If I could take that plastic trim off I could get at the leaves with a shop vac but I don't know how to do that, and the internet doesn't seem to have an answer for such a specific question.
>>
File: 2017-07-17 12.12.07.jpg (922KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-17 12.12.07.jpg
922KB, 1536x864px
>>17551918
Close up of the offending area
>>
I just realized there's a QTDDTOTT alive already. I'm a dumb faggot, go there instead until that one dies >>17530902
>>
will a 99 Mustang GT make a good DD?
It's one of my favorite cars of all time
>>
Is it bad to get a used car at a dealer
>>
>>17551918
Just pop off those plastic tabs with a flathead screwdriver. You'll probably break some if they're old.

>>17552833
It's generally worse than getting a used car from an individual seller. What price range?
>>
Why can't I get my life together?
>>
>>17551918
Did you try looking up "2003 cavalier cowling removal" or something of the sort? Possibly going to get decent answers that way

Anyways, shouldn't be too hard, probably remove the wiper arms (mark their initial position in the windshield, just in case!), then inevitably break off some badly aged plastic screws/fasteners, maybe a couple small nuts, and it should come off
>>
>>17552898
>Just pop off those plastic tabs with a flathead screwdriver. You'll probably break some if they're old.
Doh, now I realize why those gaps in the tabs looked so familiar.

>>17553292
I tried just looking up what the part would be called but I had no idea what to call it. It was a catch 22. It seems the only related answer is "wiper motor assembly removal" because it requires you to remove the cowling.

>Anyways, shouldn't be too hard, probably remove the wiper arms (mark their initial position in the windshield, just in case!), then inevitably break off some badly aged plastic screws/fasteners, maybe a couple small nuts, and it should come off
Thanks
>>
I just got my spark plugs changed and now my engine idles at 500 rpm instead of 800ish.
Is this normal.
>>
>>17551918
in addition to everyone saying take the wiper arms off (they could be a bit stuck use a flathead to pry them off) and then you have those plastic clips or bolts to take off and it should pop right off. I wanted to add, how old is your cabin air filter? Do you even have an air filter? That gross musty smell could be from water mildew inside where the a/c evaporator core is. Past that grating area (which looks like it has mesh so i don't think your issue is leaves) it's a straight shot to your blower motor which should have the cabin air filters nearby. I'm betting on the air filter only because my friend had the same issue and he didn't have a cabin air filter, got one and his smell went away.
>>
>>17553556
What is your cars manufacturer listed idle speed? But no, changing spark plugs shouldn't change your idle speed. Check/clean your idle air control valve.
>>
>>17552919
You're aimless and have no reasonable goals.

>>17553556
Did you gap them correctly?
>>
>>17553556
i would be nervous if the idling went up, not down.
>>
>>17553559
Nah man, the only air filter it has is for the engine. The grating does have mesh, but the thin leaves fell into the gap created by the hole where the wiper arms come out of the cowling. I can see the lot of them when I shine a flashlight into the mesh. Genius, GM, pure genius.

I'll check on the air con evaporator core too, thanks for the tip. I'm such a newbie at car repair and detailing but it's pretty fun to work on this lovable cheap box.
>>
>>17553612
you could go to a home improvement store and look for some sort of bathroom style mildew remover and turn the fan on full blast and just spray it into the intake on the cowling. imo, just keep taking stuff off until you find what you're looking for, that's how I've managed to fix my car over the years.
>>
>>17553568
Says 800. I dont really see any other way than the spark plugs unless something else was stressed.
>>17553589
I didnt gap them. I have a friend who is a mechanic that did. He looked it up and gapped them properly though comparing them to the old ones
>>17553591
eh when it idles down to low, the car starts to vibrate. Like a low deep vibration can be heard in the car. Doesnt happen until it drops to 500rpm
>>
File: 1387010691014.jpg (26KB, 429x410px) Image search: [Google]
1387010691014.jpg
26KB, 429x410px
What are some things that would make a red BRAKE light appear on my dash? I'm driving a '00 4D Frontier.
>>
>>17553641
Great idea! I'd love to find a way to fix some of the blowers too, only half of them seem to work even on full blast. Regardless of that fact the air con is still like an arctic wind so that's a plus.
>>
Why does my car sometimes rev low and/or stall when I have the clutch pushed in/when I am coasting in neutral and pressing the brake at the same time? And what else would cause my car to rev without application of the throttle in the same scenario, to about 3k RPM? Both instances will return to normal idle RPM once I come to a full stop (assuming it doesn't stall).

The free revving typically happens after a spurt of faster highway driving. The stalling typically happens after normal urban driving.
>>
>>17553612
also as an after thought, while you have the cowling off, put some soft of foam air filter and bind it to the bottom of that crappy mesh under the grating to prevent more leaves from getting in there. like this stuff:
https://www.amazon.com/Uni-Air-Filter-Bulk-Foam/dp/B003V3O0YK

>>17553651
so wait, you went from the wrong idle speed, to the right idle speed. not sure how plugs could have done that, but hey, if it's not broke, don't fix it.

>>17553652
Something to do with the wiring for the parking brake light. probably disengages the parking brake, and the wire is stuck or the parking brake isnt fully disengaging.
>>
>>17553652
Could be a problem with your parking brake sensor.

Or many older cars will illuminate the brake light when the alternator starts showing signs of failing.(Follow by the battery light) I would go to an auto store(Advanced or Autozone) and get your alternator tested. Its free and almost every store does it. If it tests fine its probably the parking brake sensor/wire.
>>
>>17553696
no I went from idling at 800-900 which is correct to idling at 500-600 which is too low.
>>
>>17553707
The car does have some issues with the electrical, but I passed that for old age. The only major problem I have is that a handful of the fuses were removed for unknown reasons, but I'm saving that for when I go to PYP and just pocket the fuses I need.
>>
>>17553696
Thanks for the link. The mesh works fine, it's just the wiper arm holes that are the problem. I'll see if I can form the stuff to those holes.
>>
Should I as a first car?
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Tiran%C3%AB/AUTOMJETE/Makina/VW-Volkswagen/Golf/Golf/OKAZION-GOLF6-1-4-TSI/4432520
I just want a smooth drive I know its not that powerful at only 122hp. About the reliability, If I take care of it will it break or will it not? What exactly do u do to take care of a car? I know nothing about mechanical work. Should I just take it to some mechanic every once in a while and let him work on it?
>>
File: 1499845764489.jpg (40KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
1499845764489.jpg
40KB, 960x640px
Can somebody ID this car and possibly its mods for me?
>>
>>17552500
anyone?
>>
>>17553690
Is it a mustang?
>>
This guy is selling a 2002 camry that I've looked at and is in great shape, but needs a clutch.

>he's asking 1750, way too much for a shitbox that I need to tear apart
Is it too dickish to just say "Bro, you'll get 1000 and like it,"

And 2,
>when replacing clutch is there a benefit to getting a "performance" clutch, or just do oem
>>
>>17554334
Tell him "I'll take it from you today if I can get it for 1000"
>>
is it bad that i want a invidia exhaust for my car?
My car came with alloy wheels so I don't need to replace the steel ones it came with to save weight, next thing people say to lose weight is with a 3rd party exhaust. The low pitched rumble is pretty sexy as a bonus.

pic relate.
>>
File: IMG_3508.jpg (94KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3508.jpg
94KB, 500x333px
I have a 1992 Honda Accord Ex and when changing the fuel filter, I broke a small plastic piece off of the charcoal canister, so I removed the whole thing, plugged the holes, and it still runs fine. I'm gonna ask how I can reconnect the tube from the gas tank back to the fuel injectors so pressure doesn't build in the tank and I don't smell gas everywhere?
>>
>>17553969
> Volkswagen
Nah m8 don't
> Take care of car
Change oils/fluids, tune up, wear and tear parts
> Let him work on it
If nothing is wrong what will he work on??
>>17554334
That's kind of a lot for an old Camry with no clutch I'd spend no more than 800 on that thing.
> Performance clutch
For DD its a pain. The clutch will be way too "grippy" A DD clutch needs to have some slippage
>>
>>17554595
i would look for a "new" one at a junkyard or chop shop. alternatively you can use epoxy and glue the broken part back on and pray it holds. It should since it only has a simple hose attached to it.
>>
>>17553690
You have a vacuum leak.

Brakes are assisted by a Vacuum actuated brake booster, you press the brake I and it multiples the force your pressing against the master cylinder.

If its leaking or a have a leak in the system it exacerbates it when you brake and the engine isn't high enough in revs or have enough time to counter act that extra in the intake, so you lean out and it stalls.

Similarly the engine will rev up when its given enough time to sense that its running lean and dumps more fuel in.
>>
>>17553652
Some companies use the parking brake symbol as also a warning is something is wrong with the brake system itself.

My F150 will light up the parking brake idiot light if brake pressure, or brake fluid level drops below a threshold.
>>
>>17553978
280zx Mid 80's, find a Z forum.
>>
>>17552500
Only if you get GT and a manual, even then the Engine in them is anemic and only really responds to Forced Induction.

If you get an automatic or a V6 just kys.
>>
>>17554595
Unless you have emission testing and or can't deal with the gas smell, having no charcoal canister is no big deal.
>>
I'd like to remove the rust from my truck's undercarriage, would I be able to get the majority of it off with a pressure washer instead of sanding/grinding?
>>
>>17554773
nope, maybe some anti-rust chemicals, but that will take time. your best best is sandblasting
>>
>car was feeling slow when i got on it etc, didnt feel that good but still drove around okay
>does this for a bit
>decide for whatever reason to change up my foot position on the gas pedal
>before was pressing mostly from the very bottom of the pedal because of my seating position
>move my foot up maybe like an inch and now the car feels great and super responsive

I don't understand that much really, the pedal is getting pushed down the same amount or maybe not. Engine before felt bogged as fuck and unresponsive, now it is nice and responsive. Just like an inch up difference.
>>
>>17554888
You were probably hitting your foot on the carpet.

Learn to fucking operate a car.
>>
Why are there no 80s Subaru XTs for sale in North America
>>
File: 001.jpg (36KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
36KB, 500x375px
>>17551918
Is there a better drift car than this meme mobile for 6k?
>>
I don't understand why people like cars. How do I get it?
>>
>>17555494
>How do I get it?

>drive car
>have good time
>>
>>17555499
>drive car
>get stuck in traffic
>loud music from other cars
>chance of people hitting your car with their car

I don't understand what makes driving fun unless everyone here has some kind of abandoned countryside to drive around in
>>
>>17555494
If it's not something you're into growing up with your family or friends, then wait until you make enough money to buy a decent car and you'll get into it basically
>>
would a WAT tattoo be extremely gay?
what if it was a free tattoo?
Would I be "that guy"?
>>
>>17555486
Mustang, BMW, Mercedes, Camaro, trans am, 240/180, S10, pretty much everything RWD.
>>
>>17555507
>I don't understand what makes driving fun unless everyone here has some kind of abandoned countryside to drive around in

Drive early mornings or late nights on week days.
>>
>>17555507
You need to focus less on the negative things, and more on the joys of developing and applying skills of line choice, precision driving, breaking skill, speed control, shifting ability, sick skidz, and racing. As well as all others not mentioned.
>>
>>17555507
If you've never blasted down your local city's freeway system at 1 in the morning along with the graveyard shifters, racers, and the occasional cop you haven't lived. If you haven't cruised down a country backroad with the windows down on a warm autumn day after a rain storm you haven't lived. If you haven't enjoyed simply getting groceries because it means you have an excuse to hop in your vehicle and go for a drive you haven't lived.
>>
I want to change my oil pan gasket...what's the absolute cheapest torque wrench I can get away with?
>>
>>17555584
He's not wrong
>>
>>17555586
Get a tekton from amazon.
>>
What are the possible reasons behind it occasionally being difficult to put my gear shifter into 1st/R? It gets annoying randomly having to take the time to apply the brakes and really finesse it in there.
>>
>>17554731
Ah, thanks anon. I did some googling and my problem sounds similar to other stories.

Is there a good and cheap (or at least a tried-and-true) way to diagnose that it's a leak, find the leak, and then fix it?
>>
File: hardbody.jpg (273KB, 1500x938px) Image search: [Google]
hardbody.jpg
273KB, 1500x938px
>>17551918
Oi, so what are the laws and requirements from importing a car from Mexico to the States?
I wouldn't imagine it'd be that hard considering it's just over the boarder and not overseas. Same goes for transport and shipping it to somewhere to pick it up.
I want a Nissan Hardbody, but all the ones around here in Texas are beat to shit, 200k+ miles, well used work horses for like, $3k+, whereas in Mexico, I'm finding near mint ones with 60k miles for about the same price, converted to USD.
Does it matter that it's a car newer than 25 years old that doesn't meet the current safety standards and regulations since it's just a late 80s/early 90s design rehashed into the 21st century?
>>
File: 280px-Ka24et.jpg (33KB, 280x286px) Image search: [Google]
280px-Ka24et.jpg
33KB, 280x286px
>>17555818
first off, let me compliment your choice of model year pics, vent hood years are best years
>lives in texas
>isn't buying the cleanest body D with cleanest VIN records he can find
>and driving to mexico
>for cheap crate motor swap
>and sub $20/hr labor
>cheap trip to mexico AND cheap car repair
dude what are you doing
go
go now
hefetip: ensenada is nice and full of mechanics since baja
>>
>>17555649
>reasons
*those gears aren't synchronized- VARIES
*trans. fluid is bad
*hydraulic clutch linkage fluid is bad
*hydraulic clutch linkage master/slave is failing
*clutch pedal isn't adjusted properly
that's all the easy stuff i can think of
>>
I live in Minnesota. I just lost a 2000 accord to a rusted out frame under the car, poor baby only had 160k on it.

How do I prevent this from happening again? How expensive is it to protect my car from rust?

I love the north for every reason aside from owning a vehicle.
>>
File: 86 3.jpg (211KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
86 3.jpg
211KB, 1200x800px
Where can I get replica JDM ae86 coupe bumpers?
>>
File: US vs Mexico.png (2MB, 2132x672px) Image search: [Google]
US vs Mexico.png
2MB, 2132x672px
>>17555884
all the ones around here are beat to shit and rusted since the people that own them are legitimately using them for work. Even after the cost of transporting, most of the ones in Mexico i find are so much cleaner than the ones I find in the states, justifying the price, though likely not costing that much more if at all.
And from the mileage, I don't judge the engine too much more so the the frame, something with 200k miles is gonna have more wear and rust than a 60k mile car.
In the pic, on the left are the ones near me, 200k miles, worn, beaten, $3k
On the right is in Mexico, 60.8k miles, clean as can be, etc, for $3.5k
Restoring the first one would end up costing more than the price of the latter + transport.
and to be t b h, I'd consider an engine swap later, but for now, a 4cyl daily would be nice just for the gas mileage and reliability.
>>
>>17555929

This >>17555649

Started happening to me too, turned out to be a failing master/slave cylinder.
>>
>>17555686
Not same anon.
You could always try a smoke test to find a leak.
Also just listening for a hissing noise.
If you find a hissing noise try and track it down and begin moving and wiggling hoses to see if you can get the noise to change or engine rpm to change.

Then if you do find a leak you can maybe replace it with bulk vacuum hose or you may need to get a factory/pre-made hose.
>>
>>17553652
Usually the first thing to check would be your brake fluid level. There's a sensor in there in a lot of cars.
>>
>>17553652
I also vote for brake fluid level is low. Other than that, the parking brake might not be released completely. But go ahead and check that fluid level first. You might be due for a brake job.
>>
>>17554595
You can make a sleeve out of something with a slightly smaller diameter. And then dab some epoxy on top of that. If you try to just glue them together, you will end up clogging it permanently.
>>
>>17555649
Based on your mileage, you probably need a clutch kit.
>>
>>17555939
Northerner here
If caught early use brush on Por15 on frame and cab corners, shit is great
>>
Are there any good (fast & safe on bad surface) cars for up to 3k€ with NOT MORE than 2.0 made after '98?
(I love laws in my country)
>>
File: 1434691912361.png (368KB, 500x569px) Image search: [Google]
1434691912361.png
368KB, 500x569px
how long could i go driving on out of state plates? i still have about a year left on my car and im moving to a different state and ill be damned if im gonna give up what i paid for just to pay someone else for the same damn thing.
>>
Ausfag here, driving a series 3 AU falcon. Experiencing idle issues predominately while its hot. greentext symptoms:

> Going from drive to neutral or park causes an instant drop, to about 200rpm, and then stabilizes. the car shakes during this time.
> Accessories make it worse (aircon, power steering) as they load the engine.
> if im in a parking lot with the ac on the car is nearly undriveable due to rpm drops and also small amounts of surging randomly nudging me forwards
> Empty or full tank doesnt make a difference
> slight difficulty when first starting the engine

What I've done:
> Intake manifold gasket
> Lower to upper manifold gasket
> Throttle body gasket
> Cleaned all of the above parts
> Checked for vacuum leaks multiple times
> Replaced fuel filter

Plugged in my trusty odb scanner today and found zero codes. However monitoring the exhaust oxygen sensor voltage (on the manifold), the voltage ranges from 0.1-2.8 volts. From literally every source I've read the range is 0.1-0.9, with .45 being equilibrium. Would this be a faulty sensor or some other electrical problem?

The scanner does not give me any error codes and I have no check engine light however. But I unplugged the sensor and ran the engine for a while and that didn't give me a code either. Symptoms remained identical.

My short and long term fuel trim are both within range.

Pic related, not my actual car though.
>>
File: IMG_20170718_102246.jpg (982KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170718_102246.jpg
982KB, 2448x3264px
how do i touch up paint? i do it for the first time and i dont want to fuck it up too badly...

clean wound with alcohol, try to apply a thin layer of paint, repeat if necessary, wait to dry, add clearcoat?
>>
>>17556805
Get your tiny ass brush. Get a stool maybe so you can be comfy while you do it. If you fuck it up wipe it off straight away before it dries.
Keep trying until you have it really good so it's hard to tell it's touched unless you know it's there. Done.
Clear coat not completely necessary. It also makes it harder to fix if you want to put that extra layer on
>>
>>17556824
well thanks i tought i need to sand it down a bit or something
>>
Keep getting oil leaks at filter

Tried 3 times with different filters, each with their own new gaskets

Should I just RTV it and deal with that headache every 6000 or just add another cup of oil every week?
>>
What is the Twingo meme about?
>>
>>17557015
Forgot an old gasket underneath the new one?
>>
>>17557124
Didn't look like it, but a cardboard gasket could get black enough to not be noticed

I'll scrub at it and see, thanks
>>
>>17557015
time for a new engine
>>
>>17557135
Actually considering a swap, but it's gonna be at least December before I can get started on it
>>
>>17556136
Thanks anon. Are there typical leak areas that I should be wary of?
>>
>>17557542
not the same anon, but with vacuum leaks to the brake booster you can try clamping the hose shut with pliers and seeing if it makes a difference. you can also apply various substances around the area to look for a voltage change

>carby cleaner
>water
>propane
>smoke

its also possible to have a leak in the booster itself.
>>
Anyone has experience with the Citoen BX?

i can get a 16V one, with the more powerful 1.9 for super cheap

Problem is, im sorta clueless blonde when it comes to taking care of stuff. I mean, i can refill fluids and change tires and do some light maintainance...

but i really want this thing
>>
>>17556608
Celica/prelude but neither is fast
>>
Shit myself in the car this morning /o/. Seats are Alcantara and I think some of the juice might have seeped through my pants. What's the best thing to clean the seats with?
>>
How is owning a BRZ with a family? My son is 3 so in a year or two he will be out of his car seat and can probably just sit in the back with a booster.
>>
>>17556057
>asks for ideas about importing a D21
>give him easiest answer in terms of paperwork
>posts that wall of text, just to be a contrarian
neat go buy a mexican one

>swapping a I4 for a V6
never implied this, KA24DE engines are cheap as fuck in mexico son
>>
Is there anywhere in central florida where I can practice drifting without getting in trouble?
>>
>>17551918
Why don't you try drying those leaves with a hot air gun, and then use compressed air to pulverize and blow them out? Would that work?
>>
File: 1480652466101.jpg (130KB, 918x1224px) Image search: [Google]
1480652466101.jpg
130KB, 918x1224px
How do you deal with people who ride your ass /o/?
>take foot off gas and see how slow they'll go before passing
>>
>>17558489
That's the way. Best is when they try passing and get held up by traffic
>>
Where am I likely to find the speaker that makes the beeping noise when I put my car in reverse? No, the car does not have a sensor of any kind. It's like 20 years old.
>>
>>17558489
Sometimes like >>17558564
but sometimes I floor it and look how fast they can go.
Usually they tend to not exceed 230km/h.
>>
>>17558458
It won't. The gap that the leaves are in is deep and has a lot of crevices, and I'm really anal about getting things done properly. I'm going to try taking off the cowling and vacuuming out the leaves today.
>>
Why do my brakes howl when stopping in reverse only?
04 S60R with Brembo 4 piston calipers, semi metallic pads and oem discs. I have had them apart and lubed the calipers and applied silicone the the back of the pads, but they still make a high pitched howl in reverse only. Forward braking is quiet.
>>
>>17556789
Seems like the sensor or it's related wiring would be the cause, since it's way out of range. But also, have you checked the IACV? Injectors maybe? Cleaning both of those would be a good start, and is cheep

Looking up "stalling on idle when warm" on Startpage gives me a few interesting things to look into. Since you're the one with the issue, and have better info on it more readily available, do look it up and see if anything there could apply to you

>>17558762
Does it only happen the first time the car is moved after a night sitting out, or after some hours of humidity and possible cold? Cause in that case, the noise means you're scraping off the rust that formed overnight/when you parked. If not, are they old? Brakes sometimes make that noise when they're worn and they get an uneven shape to them, the leading edge of the pad has more material and that causes it to vibrate, thus the noise
>>
How can i find where water is getting inside on a moon/sun roof? Its got a leak, and is also cracked a little, but i domt see any gaps for water to get in through. Looks like previous owner used caulk or something to cover the crack.
Also, besides replacing it, how would i fix this? I was going to get more caulk or whatever it is he used, but thats a cheap quick fix i doubt will last very long
>>
The current Fiesta ST has a 1.6L, 4-Cyl turbo engine developing ~180HP/202lb-ft

The upcoming Fiesta ST 2018 has a 1.5L 3-Cyl turbo engine developing 197HP/213lb-ft (and probably weighing less due to the smaller engine)

I wanna get one. So, the thing is:

Old FiST is going to be cheaper, there's plenty of aftermarket, so I could, for a thousand bucks, upgrade it to 215HP/236lb-ft

New FiST is going to be more expensive, but a tad more powerful out of the dealer. With Cylinder deactivation (2-cyl damn), """"drive modes"""" and probably, better handling.
However, I'm afraid it won't be as receptive to performance mods as the old FiST, due to the smaller engine. I believe it may have been pushed to its limits.

What do y'all think? Will the new FiST get aftermarket performance gains? Or should I just go for the older FiST.
>>
>>17558920
Since you say it's cracked, I imagine it's the panel/glass itself? Or do you think it could be the gasket around it that's failing to do it's job?

If it's the latter, AFAIK, it should have several drains (or at least one) that take care of any leaks. I remember removing/cleaning my old BMW's sunroof, and there was a plastic tray for collecting water, which had four garden hose sized drains, one on each front/rear pillar, which ran down all the way down to god knows where. In your car those are probably clogged, or maybe pinched/out of place. Maybe it's some other rubber gasket that's not doing it's job. Sunroofs don't keep all the water out, just enough for the water drains to do their thing

My bet would be: if it leaks as soon as the rain starts, the water is getting through a gasket, going through a crack in a piece that should be intact, or "sticking/clinging" to a surface and dripping somewhere, therefore getting quickly inside the car. Alternatively, if it takes a while for it to start dripping, it probably has to do with the drains being obstructed, since it pools in the drip tray until the water level is too high
>>
Why when someone is looking for a cheap and good rwd, it's always just E30 spam, but I never see anyone mentioning clk?
>>
2014 USDM Focus ST. Planning on buying an Accessport, will I need to do any other mods to successfully run their basic OTS 93 tune?

I see that their "stage 1 power package" includes an air filter and RMM, will I need these? I save a bit buying the package compared to buying each thing separately, but if I don't need either then I'd rather save the money.
>>
I traded my 98 rustbucket TDI for an 82 Luv diesel, it will start fine rolling and popping the clutch, but won't start by cranking it over, it just turns and turns with no fire what could it be?
>>
What type of transmission handle abuse bette auto or manual ?
>>
>>17558912
Your answer got me to pull the pads out again and one of the rears has a slightly angled wear pattern. One of the caliper pistons seem to be sticking making it wear improperly. Thanks, you really helped.
>>
>>17558364
That's just it, I want to get a Mexican one, I've said that since the beginning. My initial question was what were the rule and regulations about bringing not-to-spec cars into the states? Not, what's the easiest way of getting one.
I wouldn't ask on here if I were planning on just getting the cheapest clean one I found on craigslist.
Are you able to just drive it though the boarder and just register it like anything else, or are there some hoops like with importing something overseas, just without the whole shipping it over here thing?
>>
I've got a 01 325i that has developed an idling problem ever since a relative took it to get groceries. Before they went, the car would have a smooth idle at around 700 rpms or so, but when I got the car back it now idles at just a hair over 500. This means that the whole car is shaking due to vibrations. I also noticed that when you leave it idling long enough you actually lose some rpms and the engine instead of being nice and smooth now labors along and shakes the whole car from side to side. I checked the codes on the car and every time I do it changes, started with the fuel pump but moved to the maf and camshaft sensors, and now it's the cat and evap valve, so no real help there. I did replace the fuel filler cap and the problem got better, as in it takes more time for the engine to develop that horrible shaking, but the problem is still there.

Any ideas?
>>
>>17559566
Check your intake hoses and your intake manifold, sounds like a classic vacuum leak.

If you have to get a smoke test done.
>>
>>17559392
When it comes to Torque converter Autos Vs Dry clutch H pattern manuals, it Depends who built it and the model.

DCT's CVT's and Seqeuntials all have shorter life span than the two mentioned above.

>>17559268
The CLK has barely any aftermarket, manuals are few and far between (if any), harder to work on and are typically more expensive to own and buy than an E30, and Mercedes wasn't in the quality business in the 90' & 00's as opposed to what they build now.
>>
>>17558391
Look for a local drift event That's open to novices.
>>
>>17558239
>http://www.autoblog.com/article/how-to-clean-suede-and-alcantara-autoblog-details/

>literally 10 seconds in google.

>>17557114
What are all memes about? Pointless shit?

>>17556773
90 Days is the limit in my state before you have to register, but it largely depends on if the local cops really give a shit enough to notice.
>>
>>17551918
My NA miata makes a weird groaning noise when I shift at low speed, such as backing out of the driveway or up the driveway.

The noise isn't consistent so I haven t the faintest idea what's causing it.

Sometimes I can get it to make the noise when I depress the clutch. could it be my pressure plate or something?
>>
File: received_1923726211228617.jpg (652KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
received_1923726211228617.jpg
652KB, 2048x1536px
>>17559340
>>
I'm thinking of going getting a new civic hatchback, but I'm looking for the best deal possible. I should probably wait until thanksgiving/Christmas for the best deals now that the 4th has passed right?
>>
>>17559735
Only when you shift? or the is noise also happening when your already in gear?
>>
>>17559468
Glad to help!

>>17559340
Does jumpstarting help at all? If it's so, then of course it has to do with the pixies going from the battery to the starter motor. Bad battery or wiring issue it is, then

If jumpstarting doesn't help, maybe your starter is a bit worn, not giving enough cranking speed to give a chance of combustion. Other things that cause it could be not enough compression, a worn fuel pump, dirty/worn injectors, and of course faulty glow plugs or their relay(s)

Sounds more like a lack of cranking speed than anything, but it could also come from low compression (not heating up the air enough to produce combustion). Checking the battery, and then the wiring on the starter circuit would be a good first step

>>17559735
Any more info?
Does it happen when you go in or out of gear, or both? Any gear(s) specifically? Does deceleration/acceleration make it more frequent/apparent/louder?

Are you sometimes in, say, neutral, and you depress the clutch, and get that noise? Or do you need to be in gear and/or move the gear lever to get the noise?
>>
>>17559768
When already in gear
>>
>>17559837
It happens when ever I engage a gear at low speed. I can. Get it to happen sometimes when i simply depress the clutch when I'm stationary. It doesn't appear to make the noise at high speed, it seems to happen when I'm slowing down the most
>>
>>17559900
A few things. Reverse gear in most manuals is a straight cut gear, whereas all forward gears are helical, Straight cut gears whine or groan fairly loudly when in gear. First is usually not straight cut.

Groaning could also be a sign of the pilot or throw out bearing going bad but in my experience they've almost always screeched instead of groaned.

Other than that you may have to pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from.
>>
File: skyline gtst.jpg (628KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
skyline gtst.jpg
628KB, 2048x1536px
Should I pull the trigger on this
>1991 R32 GTST, only has an exhaust and intake, 65k miles
>as per owner runs good, no issues
>$10,500 (obviously imma negotiate)
Shits 11 hours away so I can't risk the drive to not buy it. But that's literally the lowest priced GTST I've come across that's within driving distance.
>>
Is it really okay to use Autozone's Brand Coolant to top off any color or style coolant like it says it can? Teh interwebz isn't giving me an answer. Some websites say I will blow up my engine and others say it doesn't matter.
>>
>>17560144
>Shits 11 hours away so I can't risk the drive to not buy it
If you can, call him and tell him how far you are away and that you would like to meet him halfway if possible. Remember, if you feel like you're being fucked then you probably are. Don't think like it's the last ever deal you'll see and suck his dick for it.
>>
>>17560291
Just top off with some filtered water.
>>
>>17560316
This is one of those "after the horses have left the barn" scenarios
>>
>>17560305
I actually have been talking to the guy on facebook, he's on an R32 page that I'm on so it's not a shitty craigslist ad
>>
>>17553719
pull the negative battery cable so the ECU has to relearn its settings. had to on my jeep when I replaced the o2 sensor.
>>
>>17555945
import them from nipponland?
>>
File: VID_20170701_194105.webm (3MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
VID_20170701_194105.webm
3MB, 1000x562px
so I assume my trackbar isn't supposed to wiggle like this? I also assume this is what that odd thunk is occasionally when I turn?
>>
Hey guys I fell for the "finance a new car when you're working minimum wage meme" and I passed the cool off period how do I get out of this? I don't care if I have to do something that will ruin my credit score even more pls help
>>
>>17559925
Try operating the clutch with the car off, and in a quiet area. See if you get the noise then

If that doesn't seem to bring about the noise, then try clutching and rowing the gears, also with the car off

Lastly, next time you take the car out for a drive, ask your friend (>implying, etc), neighbor, or waifu to press down the clutch while you listen in for the noise with the car on (of course, DON'T stick your head under the car, aye? just get close to the ground so you can hear it better)

You could try driving somewhere where the noise will bounce back to you, like a tunnel or a garage. If you can reproduce the sound there, you can tell more about it. Maybe there's more to it than it seems, you just haven't heard yet? That's the case with my car's input shaft bearing, lot more to it than it seems at first, especially if you park it next to a wall and listen in for the noise

>>17560291
Should be safe, in general, but I wouldn't trust it

Here it mentions that, in this particular case, it can be mixed no problem, under the "features" tab

http://www.chevronlubricants.com/en_US/products/products/havoline-universal-antifreeze-coolant.html

Like I said, should be safe. Still, change it ASAP, pls
>>
>>17556608
No, fuck off
>>
is there a way of disabling my car alarm?

easier the better
>>
>>17560622
First, step out of the car you just stole.

Next, kill yourself.
>>
>>17560677
i didnt stoled it i just keep forgot the key's
>>
File: Giggled.gif (2MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
Giggled.gif
2MB, 360x240px
>>17560622
Tyrone pls go
>>
>>17551918
I know Harbor Freight has some gems, so what are some good HF tools?
>>
>>17560451
>replica
>>
I was out driving my dad's Dodge Durango and it was steering awfully strange.

For starters, I couldn't drive it straight by holding the steering wheel in the neutral centered position. I found myself steering slightly to the left to drive straight. Next, when I'd make a right turn, the steering wheel was rocking slightly back and forth left and right as I accelerated through the turn, I could see my hand moving back and forth an inch. In general, I found it handling really badly.

I stepped out and looked at the front tires and nothing seems amiss from the outside. What do you think is wrong with this car?
>>
>>17560800
disconnect the power steering and see if it does it without it
>>
>>17560781
anything without internals to chink up
>>
Do they make automatics that are stick shift themed? Basically pressing the brake allows you to move the shifter, but the park, reverse, neutral, and drive options are presented as if it were a manuel. Also there should be another "gear" that enables the "paddel shifters" on the steering wheel to give you control over every actual gear instead of the "drive" option which shifts gears automatically.

I want this. Can it be done? Has it been done? Did this make sense?
>>
>>17560781
Their jack and jackstands have lasted a year of frequent use and still going strong
>>
>>17560622
Remove the fuse?
>>
>>17560561
File chapter "some fucking number" bankruptcy. Do some research, talk to a lawyer.
>>
File: openerb.jpg (326KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
openerb.jpg
326KB, 1000x667px
Thinking of getting a "new" daily driver. Been looking at the R32 GTST or a GTS4, S13, Porsche 944, and maybe an Acura Legend. Opinions?
I love the Jag XJS/XJ12, but the maintenance would be killer + the gas costs.
>>
File: 1475304408127.jpg (698KB, 2048x1444px) Image search: [Google]
1475304408127.jpg
698KB, 2048x1444px
>>17561192
up
>>
my track/weekend car has a tear in the ball joint boot for the rear passenger wheel. i'm too lazy to fix this so whats the worst that could happen if i only take the car out for track days and the occasional weekend or drive to work?

man this is a really stupid question now that i type it all out but pls respond
>>
I need to move like 80 patio bricks. They all in all weigh about 3000 pounds.

I drive a 1999 Jimmy/Trailblazer.
I can only find a towing capacity, which is 1500 pounds.
I dont have a trailer, how do I find out how much I can throw in the back of the truck?

Its a 25 minute drive one way, im hoping I can do it in two trips.
>>
>>17561192
i think you can rule out the 944 for the same reason as the jag
>>
>>17561760
the 944 has better mpgs than the XJ12
>>
>>17559219
Thanks senpai, didnt know about the drains. The actual glass is cracked though. I didn't see any obvious gaps between the sealant and the glass/crack, but i was betting that was the issue. Ill look into the drains though
>>
>>17561773
You mean infinite MPGs? since it'll be sitting next the jag needing repairs?
>>
>>17561126
No, No, and No.

Just buy a manual, or deal with paddle shifters you child.
>>
>>17561934
Or you know, actually take care of the cars and not treat them like a POS shitbox?
>>
>>17561996
Gonna go back in time 26+ years to make sure the previous owners do to?
Also ignoring the inherent problems that pop up with almost all of them regardless of how they were treated?

Their awful looks arent the only reason that poorfags can afford them anon...
>>
>>17562017
Damn dude.
I honestly don't mind upkeep, and it's something I'll do after I get a job lol.
>>
>>17561746
Not a fucking chance. Half ton trucks are rated to tow 10,200lbs, but only half a half ton payload capacity. You really think you can put the entirety of your towing capacity in the cargo area? Even if you fit it in there, you won't be able to go over 15mph because you would be lifting the front tires. And you would destroy your transmission in less than 3 miles, even at that speed.
>>
>>17562132
How do I find the payload weight rating?
The bricks arent that big, they are just heavy
>>
https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/d/ford-mustang-mercury-capri/6175788065.html

would this be a good deal for a summer car? i'm thinking about offering 5k, and potentially going up to 5.5k.
>>
File: 20170516_175728.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170516_175728.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>17562152
You can carry about 400-500lbs at a time. Just watch your wheel gap shrink, when it starts to get within an inch of your tires you should've stopped a few bricks ago. For example, this truck was way overloaded and at 45mph felt like the steering wheel wasn't even attached to the wheels. Also the transmission is toast. It's a 2016 truck with 20,000 miles.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-07-18-23-29-41.png (605KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-07-18-23-29-41.png
605KB, 720x1280px
>>17562204
For reference it should sit like this.
>>
>>17561192
any input?
>>
>>17561630
ehh, rust and dirt/sand will get in and eventually scar the metal until it wears away. Of course this could take many months to years before you'd notice the problem. Just get a pickle fork and slam that bitch outta there.
>>
>>17560800
Maybe the rag/u-joint is fucked up in the steering column, that or something is messed up in the steering rack. Doesn't seem like it needs an alignment, something is broken.
>>
File: parapic.gif (154KB, 997x421px) Image search: [Google]
parapic.gif
154KB, 997x421px
Hey /o/, this is my first post here, hopefully I get an answer.

I'm a firefighter and the station just bought a couple old P71's from a closing police station. We need some light bars for them, anyone have any suggestions? I'm looking for something around $200 or under and in red or red and white only.
>>
So I just saw Cars 3 and I god cancer it was so bad
>>
Got my first car, but I'm not used to using the gas when I reach the biting point to take off. I'm used to driving in a car with a lower biting point that doesn't need to use the gas.
I also mentally associate revving when starting in first with negative things such as engine trouble.
Can I get used to this fairly quickly? Can I damage my car by stalling once in a while?
>>
So what does rusty orange-brown coolant signify? Truck doesn't overheat or run badly, nor is there any coolant in the oil so I don't think it's a head gasket. Just time for a coolant flush/new t-stat?
>>
File: IMG_20170702_225802.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170702_225802.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>17563458
Should also point out it's not losing coolant anywhere, either. It just looks nasty. Pic sorta related. 98 XJ Sport.
>>
>>17561192
pls assist
>>
>>17563458
What color is your coolant normally? Green or red?
>>
My tire's sidewall is starting to peel where the White Wall is.
>>
>>17563472
>>17563458
Pretty normal on a Cherokee, because no one takes care of it. You'll probably want to flush it a few times, but you need to do at least one flush.
>>
what RWD volvo is good and what should i look out for?
>>
I've got a 2006 Cadillac CTS and sometimes when I turn left or accelerate I get a weird thumping sound that comes from my rear left wheel. Anyone have any idea what that is?

The noise doesn't show at any other time except when I'm accelerating from low speed.
>>
>>17552500
Only if you live where there is no snow. And prepare to do maintenance on it.

>>17552833
Yes they will fuck you in the asshole just go to a private sale it's better and cheaper

>>17552919
Start working towards something

>>17553556
Are you sure they are the correct spark plugs and if so are they torqued correctly?

>>17553690
You might have a problem with your IAC or TPS or your throttle body might not be calibrated to the correct idle point, or your ECU might be giving bad signals and need reprogramming
>>
Am I killing my car by using it as a DD to get to work and back 5 days a week?

It takes 15 minutes to drive to work. 15 minutes twice a day.

Can I negate it by giving it a hard run on Sundays and running it hard and fast? Like some motorway work and getting the engine nice and hot? Or does it make no difference.
>>
Is it possible to drift in an automatic FWD? How
>>
>>17564265
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Us-MSm1PI_w
>>
Are high-quality aftermarket rotors better than OEM? (Lexus GS350, 2013, AWD). I'm not looking for race car performance here - I drive a Toyota - but I'd love to replace mine with some that are more likely to last longer and less likely to e.g. warp.
Any brake advice /o/tists?
>>
Anyone have experience with the 1991 BMW 318is? I'm currently looking at one. Pic not related but same shit
>>
>>17564668
You'll have better success with more aggressive brake pads. Also drilled and slotted rotors are a meme
>>
>>17555279
I saw one on Craigslist
>>
>>17555515
The lack of responses should give you your answer
>>
Looking to buy a fifth gen prelude in leafland - sticky is a bit old, so im uncertain about what I should expect to get used. What should I be aiming for in terms of mileage/price?
>>
>>17555515
Why don't you just get the clover symbol instead.
>>
>>17564791
I'm honestly really happy with the stock brakes on this car as is. Agreed 100% on drilled/slotted rotors being pure meme. Besides, I don't want anything that smacks of rice on or near my car.
I'm just wondering if like an EBC blank from blighty might be a higher quality rotor that'll last longer; if not, I'll just get another set of OEMs.
>>
>>17555515
it will be extremely gay
you will be that guy
getting it for free does not change these
>>
>>17564890
A higher quality rotor would probably last longer, yeah
>>
Low idle (500) when engine is cold, normal (900-1000) when it's hotter, after a few minutes of driving.

Is this normal or not? Carbureted engine if that makes any difference, never had one before.
>>
https://treasure.craigslist.org/cto/d/bmw/6215419423.html WHAT COULD GO WRONG
>>
How's clio sport as a first car ?
>>
File: question.png (361KB, 473x675px) Image search: [Google]
question.png
361KB, 473x675px
i wanna do my first oil change... anything i should pay attention before ordering the filter and the oil? check if filter diameter fits the engine (d16y8) etc... how do you guys select your oil? what should i look out for? any recommendations for 5w30? (thinking eneos sustina, might as well put some nipponese oil in my nipponese shitbox, but seems expensive compared to the rest) are a couple 3litre jars and a bigass funnel a good substitute for an oilpan?

am i overthinking it?
>>
>>17551918
>The area with the grating has a lot of old leaves stuck in it,
Why can't you get a vacuum hose up to the opening and apply suction. The leaves will come up to the opening but not come out due to the grating. Now, poke at the leaves to break them up with something that fits in between the bars of that grating. Pull the leaves outwards with that probe and the vacuum will finish sucking them out?
>>
>>17565374
>am i overthinking it?
Yes but that's fine. Just look up what filters are compatible with your model and grab whatever oil's at walmart. Don't forget to make sure the old gasket comes off with the old filter, put some oil on the new gasket so it comes off easy next time
>>
>>17556805
>how do i touch up paint?
Look up the archived threads on touch up painting at 4plebs archive. There are some good descriptions on how to do it in those threads.
>>
Doubt on understanding this car related thingy.

>205hp @ 4700rpm
Does this mean I'm getting all of those 205hp when I rev to 4700rpm on the rpm meter?

192lbft of torque @ 2400rpm
Does this also mean the same like I asked above?
>>
>>17565520
Yeah that's what it means. It confused me at first too. I thought hp and torque were just constant measurements
>>
Let's say I'm on a long straight road with no stops but a speed limit of 25 mph. Is there any reason I shouldn't gradually shift up to my highest gear, thereby keeping my revs low? Which in turn would lower fuel consumption.
>>
File: thumbsup.gif (422KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
thumbsup.gif
422KB, 640x480px
>>17565484
>>17565438
thanks senpai
>>
File: DSC00215.jpg (438KB, 1616x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DSC00215.jpg
438KB, 1616x1080px
Anon's my car needs new paint and badges, previous owner thought it was cool to debadge and black out. I'm in AZ so i'm not sure what i'll need to keep the paint looking nice
>>
sup bros, got my first 'luxury' car with the purchase of an Infiniti M35x with tan leather interior.

My question is what's the best way to take care of the leather and the wood grain?
>>
File: 1498606609054.gif (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1498606609054.gif
3MB, 640x360px
>>17564052
Well, the good news is the coolants flushed now. Bad news is the water pump siezed and dumped it all over the street.

So yeah. Hurray.
>>
I want to buy a corolla or a civic for under 8k

How many miles is too many on a used car?
>>
File: fuel map.jpg (46KB, 650x503px) Image search: [Google]
fuel map.jpg
46KB, 650x503px
>>17565520
Yes, only at that RPM and only at wide-open-throttle (WOT) and only if you've been at WOT for a while. And same with torque.

But, this only applies at the flywheel. Each gear ratio multiplies the output, your differential ratio multiplies that, your wheel diameter multiplies that, and you have mechanical/thermal losses the whole way.

The only thing that really matters is the integral of torque/hp at the wheels across your usable rev range and the car's loaded weight.

A map of your max torque or horsepower would look something like this fuel map (note, throttle position is measured in degrees, not percentage).
>>
>>17565037
No not normal, should be reverse of that even with a carburetor.
>>
>>17564735
E30's are well documented, and have a fairly large aftermarket, however if you buy one plan on doing most of the maintenance yourself, as taking it to any BMW shop or dealership will burn a hole in your pocket.

Main issues with age are worn and linkages, the cooling system and maybe a few electrical gremlins here and there they're fairly easy to work on.
>>
File: racyqueen.jpg (159KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
racyqueen.jpg
159KB, 800x1200px
>>17565484 >>17565980
>Look up the archived threads on touch up painting at 4plebs archive.

Search for one of the techniques used in touch ups:
http://archive.4plebs.org/o/search/text/toothpick%20paint/

Specific Example:
http://archive.4plebs.org/o/thread/15578473/#q15590096
>>
>>17564265
No.

Drifting implies powered oversteer, not just simply oversteer.
>>
>>17564249
Yes, an Italian tune up is a good idea.

>>17563963
Peel? like a banana? or?

>>17563123
Yes, and no not really.
>>
are e90 any good?
found 2 2006 320d manual ones for 5700 euro
only problem is they are at around 200k km
If they have taken care of it should I do it as a first car? Will it break even if I do regular maintenance and take care of it? Is it unreliable or is it just expensive only when things do break?
>>
>>17566343
Look at this way.

You have two of the same car, car one has 150k miles on the odometer, and car two has half that at 75k

Car one has been meticulously taken care of with frequent oil changes and all of its service intervals met and all of its major wear components changed and has comprehensive records of said service.

Car two has half that amount of miles but has maybe seen a handful of oil changes, none of the known wear components have been changed and it has an CEL on.

Which would you rather buy?
>>
>>17566726
Obviously the first one but if I'm buying a used car how can I really know how much love and care was put into maintaining that car?
>>
>>17566743
put a gun to the sellers wifes head and tell him he has 10 seconds to prove its properly maintained
>>
File: IMG_20170719_173251579.jpg (4MB, 2952x5248px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170719_173251579.jpg
4MB, 2952x5248px
The rubber trim around my car's windows is all nasty and faded. What can I do to fix it? Should I paint it or just outright replace it?
>>
>>17565547
Thanks bud :D

>>17566371
Had to google some of those terms to understand it completely but thanks for the explanation, man.
>>
What car has the most forgiving manual transmission to learn manual on?
>>
>>17566743
Car fax, having it taken to a mechanic to do an inspection, asking the owner for the records.

Simple stuff that requires basic social skills.
>>
>>17566879
Pickup trucks, or Diesels do.
>>
>>17566789
Replace it. Painting it won't do much.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170623-210828.png (331KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170623-210828.png
331KB, 1440x2560px
hey /o/ im from /v/ anyways

I have this 2001 jeep cherokee for about 6yr now and its been overheating really bad and has trouble starting when its warm i haven't been able go get the coolant cap off so ive been putting water in the wiper wash bottle the oil seems fine nice and red and clean i dont have the money to pay someone to fix whatevers wrong or to get another car

where should i start with troubleshooting? im not really a car person but it has 400k on the clock and the fuel tanks full and the tires are all pumped up
>>
I come here as a last resort. Please help me with any advice.
The car is a 2001 Ford Escort ZX2
Problem:
Short somewhere in car. Battery will drain while in car at alarming rate (If left overnight, will go from 12 volts to 2)
Car appears to be good at first. Radio works, headlights work, tape player works, etc.
Attempting to start car results in a loud click, then nothing
Inside of car dies and nothing works. No radio, no lights, to chime that door is open.
Service engine soon (SES) light comes on
Can not attempt to start car until SES light goes away
SES Light seemingly goes away at random.
When attached to secondary battery for jump start, would get a click and whirr noise, but whirr was short then it stopped (Like a click whir...)
What I've tried:
Engine may not be seized (Can turn, although can be difficult at times)
Replaced oil and coolant
Oil all cylinder walls for lubrication
have disconnected and inspected starter at auto store, tested fine
Have inspected all electrical connections and wires, all good
have unplugged most if not all electrical connections and lubricated them with electrical contact cleaner
have removed wiring harness from alternator and starter to physically inspect wires, no corrosion or visible fraying
have checked ground connections, all good
tested wire going to starter without load, had connectivity
Fuses are all good
>>
>>17561192
anyone?
>>
Redpill me on the ford ranger?

Best year?
Best use for it?
Pros?
Cons?
Manual or automatic?
Best use for manual or automatic?

I don't know how to manual, but i'm willing to learn
>>
>>17566316
Sounds about right. I flushed mine shortly after buying it, triple flush, $40 worth of coolant. Then the lower radiator hose burst three days later as I pulled into work.
>>
>>17565026
Any /o/ approved brands for high quality rotors, then?
>>
Is autotrader actually a good place to buy a car?
>>
Is the Australian GTO worth it?
>>
>>17567779
Akebono
>>
>>17566995
>hey /o/ im from /v/ anyways
>I have this 2001 jeep cherokee for about 6yr now and its been overheating really bad and has trouble starting when its warm i haven't been able go get the coolant cap off so ive been putting water in the wiper wash bottle the oil seems fine nice and red and clean i dont have the money to pay someone to fix whatevers wrong or to get another car
>where should i start with troubleshooting? im not really a car person but it has 400k on the clock and the fuel tanks full and the tires are all pumped up

Holy Christ.
>>
>>17567180
Battery should be above 12, is that the actual reading you're getting from the multimeter?

Have you had the battery tested for cold cranking amps? How bad of shape are the terminals in?

I had a similar issue with my F150 recently, it was just bad negative terminal.
>>
>>17567832
Does akebono even sell rotors on the aftermarket? I've never seen them offered before - only their pads.
>>
>>17567185
>Redpill me on the ford ranger?
Don't use that phrase outside /pol/ asshole

>Best year?
Late 90's last gens
>Best use for it?
Hauling small loads like trash, not so great at towing
>Pros?
Cheap, easy to work on
>Cons?
Shitty hit or miss 90's Ferd quality
>Manual or automatic?
Manual
>Best use for manual or automatic?
Just a get a manual.
>I don't know how to manual, but i'm willing to learn
>>
>>17568063
Google says otherwise.
>>
File: lifted axle what is this.png (12KB, 1583x654px) Image search: [Google]
lifted axle what is this.png
12KB, 1583x654px
Guys I'm having a brainfart
What is this called where you lift the axle above the center of the wheels. Like a tranfer case for the axle that attaches onto the axle ends. pic related.
also would this work in conjunction with an independent suspension system or would that be too weird.
>>
>>17568084
portal axles, the humvee had portals and independent suspension
>>
>>17568084
Not sure what its called and I've never seen it used.

I would assume it would have no purpose in a IRS set up as they do sit above the center of the wheels regardless.
>>
>>17568092
Portals! Yes, thank you. I kept thinking it was planetary or transfer axle for some stupid reason.
>>
>>17568043
I do charge the battery to above 12 volts (around 12.4) but it keeps dying. I had it tested at Sam's Club where I bought the battery, and they said it was fine for CCA. Terminals are in rough shape though now that you mention it. Car was sitting for about 4 years. I swear to god if that is the problem, I'm going to be pissed.
>>
>>17568149
If you unplug the battery when you're not using the car does it still drain? It's either a bad battery or a current leak somewhere it sounds like.
>>
>>17568164
I tried it earlier, and it had a weird slow drain on the battery, like it would lose .001 volts every 2 seconds are so. no idea if that is normal or not, but again, I just had the battery tested about a week ago. Probably a short or something, I just can't figure it out, since all the cables looked fine.
>>
>>17566789
Wipe it with lacquer thinner on a paper towel and see if the nasty part will wipe off, that's hit or miss but sometimes it works well, and the thinner dries fast enough that you won't be able to ruin anything. (but the paint, do not expose the paint to lacquer thinner) If that doesn't give results you're happy with then either black trim paint or replace it completely.
>>
File: 1445044741339.jpg (861KB, 2591x1740px) Image search: [Google]
1445044741339.jpg
861KB, 2591x1740px
Hey /o/, I have an interview/first day at an auto garage tomorrow. The owner said if my interview goes well then they'll try me out as shop help and then train me from there. He said he was looking for someone aggressive, and his first question to me was, "do you have a girlfriend?" For me that was a "no". It still went well other wise. Any advice you can give me?

For background, I have never worked in a shop and my experience fixing cars is on small things like changing my oil, serpentine belt, transmission fluid, and tires. Also, I've taken apart the engine on my lawnmower and reassembled it. Otherwise I've watched other people work on their own vehicles. Recently, I've gotten into cars because the mechanics of them are real interesting to me. Though I like motorcycles and trucks more. I really want to learn, not fuck up this opportunity, and be as proficient as possible.

Any advice or direction would be appreciated. This is big change in direction for my life, since previously I've been a dishwasher and CNA.
>>
>>17568177
Not normal, you should be able to start a car days or weeks after shutting it off if the battery is good. If it's draining when plugged in then hook up an ammeter between the negative terminal and the negative connector on the car (do NOT try to start the car or turn the key like this, you'll probably blow the fuse in your ammeter) and pull a fuse, see if the current drops, put it back, repeat with a different one until you find which circuit is causing the parasitic loss.
>>
>>17568211
Okay. I did something similar to this. I said how the service engine light comes on? Well if I pull fuses then, the "ENGINE" fuse turns out the light. However, that fuse is related to the ignition switch. So I can't start the car after pulling that fuse. But you're right, I should probably get an ammeter. How much are they/Where can I rent one?
>>
>>17568223
https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-MSR-R500-Multimeter-Electronic-Continuity/dp/B01N9QW620/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500521311&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=multimeter&psc=1

Most multimeters will have one built in, if you have one it probably does. If not, you can pick up a decent one like the link above pretty cheap, it's an invaluable tool to have when trying to troubleshoot old car electronics.
>>
File: 20170710_170151[1].jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20170710_170151[1].jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
do i need a catch can?
>>
>>17568238
I actually do have a voltmeter that I have been using for the voltage, I didn't realize I could use it finding a short. Because I'm too lazy to google, do you know which setting it is so I can test it later? Thanks so much.
>>
>>17568249
On the dial in the middle there should be a bunch of options around the side like "V=" "V~" "Ω" "A", "A" is the ammeter, and there is three holes and one of them will say something like "10A max fused" and you move the red wire to that one. Or post a picture and I'll tell you.
>>
how much does practicing drifting on a low friction surface like gravel or dirt help you on a higher friction one like a road? what caries over and whats different
>>
File: volt.jpg (61KB, 625x776px) Image search: [Google]
volt.jpg
61KB, 625x776px
>>17568352
What I'm dealing with here.I think I get what you're saying though. Put it on 10 A setting and put the red lead in the 10 ADC slot.
>>
>>17568367
Bingo, then disconnect the negative terminal from the battery, connect the black lead to the negative battery terminal, and then the red lead to the negative cable on the car. (although really which lead goes to what doesn't matter and you'll just get a negative current value if you do it the other way around)

Like I said before, don't try to start the car, don't let the fuel pump prime, and don't crank up the radio because those will all pull a substantial amount of current but otherwise you should be good to go on finding the short.
>>
>>17567180
Start by pulling fuses to certain accessories when you leave it out overnight, that should be able to give you a ballpark of where the issue lies.
>>
>>17566995
Get some radiator fluid, pre-mixed, and get the damn cap off.

Then change your oil, or check a different dipstick 'cause it ain't supposed to be red.

You're looking at maybe $40 bucks in fluid in filter here.

You should be able to do this with a wrench, a jack, and a driveway.
>>
>>17563551
Well, it WAS green. Now it's all over the pavement because >>17566316 happened. But it was mostly green with some brown sludge looking shit mixed in. I guess the water pump exploding explained it.
>>
File: alldeezwats.jpg (54KB, 619x697px) Image search: [Google]
alldeezwats.jpg
54KB, 619x697px
>>17566995
>its been overheating really bad and has trouble starting when its warm i haven't been able go get the coolant cap off so ive been putting water in the wiper wash bottle

Nigga you what?

WHY THE FUCK WOULD YOU THINK THAT DOES ANYTHING? FORCE THE DAMN CAP OFF AND FILL THE FUCKING RADIATOR.
>>
File: 2017_0720_004731_003.jpg (332KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017_0720_004731_003.jpg
332KB, 1600x1200px
On my 2002 Chevy S10 with ABS where the intermediate brake line connects to a flex line for the rear axle brake line has a leak in it. Bad enough for my pedal to go 80% of the way to the floor, but I still stop like my front brakes are working fine. That flex line hangs down a bit under the axle and I think it got caught on something while driving through ruts. It leaks where the intermediate line connects to the hose but I can't find any information at all about how to fix it. I don't know anything about brake line flaring or what the names of the parts are. Is it just a fitting that I have to replace somehow?
>>
>>17551918
What engine configuration is best for a racing sedan?
factoring in weight, power, and balance
I'm leaning toward a turbo I6 but I figure you guys would know better
>>
>>17565359
anyone ?
>>
>>17551918
I need to switch my car to a thinner synthetic oil before I turbocharge it. I switched to a synthetic blend and now it burns oil. Any way to stop this
>>
Which one anons?

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/d/toyota-supra-daily/6211992835.html

https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/cto/d/toyota-supra/6187641241.html

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/d/toyota-supra-super-clean/6217224777.html

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/d/toyota-chaser-avante/6194890795.html
>>
File: vag-1-0-curves.png (48KB, 781x465px) Image search: [Google]
vag-1-0-curves.png
48KB, 781x465px
I found a dyno test of my car, the 60PS Up. How are they getting that much extra power out of the engine? It looks like it's deliberately tuned down from the factory and all they're doing is reversing that.
>>
File: 1500412092213.jpg (34KB, 640x513px) Image search: [Google]
1500412092213.jpg
34KB, 640x513px
What's the difference between AWD and a 4x4?
>>
>>17570129
https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/whats-the-difference-between-four-wheel-drive-and-all-wheel-drive/

TL;DR for usage; 4WD for offroad, AWD for road.
>>
>>17570129
4WD uses a transfer case to send power to the front axle, AWD uses a differential of some kind.
>>
>>17569089
Supercharged V6
>>
>>17570129
4x4 locks up to distribute constant power to both axles, and you can't use it on the road or you'll fuck the system up. Useful for getting out of sticky (or lack thereof) situations. Also useful for climbing into areas that vehicles are not meant to climb.

AWD distributes torque depending on wheel slip conditions. Doesn't have the best off-road capability, but better handling and grip than anything else on the road. Supreme winter driving.
>>
Gonna buy an MR2 with a blown head gasket.

Should I have the gasket repaired, or drop in a silver top 20v and be midship tofuboy?
>>
Do I get rid of my 2001 Volvo V70 t5 with 116,000 miles? It's been blowing smoke thick enough to obscure my view out the rear and that's AFTER getting it back from the shop. I'm not a car guy, but I don't think that's good.
>>
File: IMG_0644.jpg (1MB, 2446x3010px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0644.jpg
1MB, 2446x3010px
What is the point of this on an exhaust? A better note?

Duramax L5P is farting into it.
>>
>>17570090
vroom vroom
>>
>>17551918

Ay recommendations for a dashcam, with front and rear cameras? I'm a little concerned because of how badly some people drive, and I need a new one.
>>
>>17570546
Repair it yourself and save a fortune. It's not hard
>>
>>17551918
will the speakers from a 4th generation Sable/Taurus fit in the speaker housing of a 2003 civic coupe?
>>
why do secondhand boxsters sell for so little?
>>
>>17571323
because most of them was abused by previous owner
>>
>>17571038
That's the idea. But I'm wondering if it's even worth fixing the original engine when black tops are so cheap these days.
>>
How difficult is it to replace an automatic transmission?
>>
File: Optimized-20170720_151647.jpg (751KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Optimized-20170720_151647.jpg
751KB, 1200x900px
Recently picked up an 03 325i for a steal, cleaned it up and changed the plastic trim to wood, but the all grey leather seats looks a little bland. Any ideas on how to make it more interesting?
>>
File: Optimized-20170720_151750.jpg (624KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Optimized-20170720_151750.jpg
624KB, 1200x900px
>>17571643
sorry for pic quality my garage is poorly lit
>>
>>17571640
It's not much more difficult than replacing some other part, but it's a lot more time consuming. If you do it you better know exactly what you're doing beforehand and have a lot of time. It'd be a good idea to have a second car handy
>>
>>17571643
>wood

American taste, kill me.

Had E46 and repainted all the woodgrain inserts into flat black so it would look like regular plastics.
>>
>>17571682
there's enough black plastic as it is in e46's desu
>>
Could be either idle air control or MAP/MAF sensor.
I had similar symptoms in my Saab 9000 and it was driving me mad. Cleaning out the MAP sensor helped a big deal.
>>
My 99 Lexus ES300 has been shifting hard recently. Tranny fluid is pretty new and timing belt was just changed. It's an automatic and around 224K miles. Anyone have any ideas on what's causing it?
>>
File: 016.png (50KB, 711x286px) Image search: [Google]
016.png
50KB, 711x286px
>>17566995
>read this
>immediately almost choked to death
>>
File: 2016-12-08.png (197KB, 512x286px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-08.png
197KB, 512x286px
>>17568202
>shop owners first question is do u have grill
>any tips?
yeah prepare ur anus
you're about to feel a tip
>>
File: Imminent_named_george.jpg (13KB, 236x191px) Image search: [Google]
Imminent_named_george.jpg
13KB, 236x191px
>>17570620
won't ask if it consumes oil b/c of course it does
if it runs well still the tarbo bearings is toast
if it runs like shit the PCV system is clogged
>not a car guy
>owns a volvo
you fucked up
>only 116k miles on a whiteblock
plz to sell to me
I will name him george
>>
>>17568650
Straight up you'll probably have to replace the flex line and the intermediate line itself becuase you'll end up destroying that fitting trying to get it off. Every Rusted brake line I've had to deal with has never come off intact.

So your two options are bite the bullet and take it to a shop (carefully)

Or pull the line off and find a friend who can take you to Advance, or Autozone. Get or order the flex hose (itll be a specific part) get new line (its sold by the foot) a loaner flaring tool (you can return it in like 30 days full refund), new flare nuts as you'll probably have fucked those, new bleeder nuts as those will probably be rusted too and what Dot fluid you use in your brakes.

Probably going to need a torch to heat up the fittings and bleeder nuts to get them off the in the first place, or at least douse the fuckers in pb blaster over night, a set of Flare nut wrenches are very helpful. Honestly pulling the line off will be hardest part, flaring the new line and bleeding the brakes will be tedious but fairly easy. The loaner flaring tool will have instructions on how to flare the line, you'll have to shape the line by hand, take it easy and don't make sharp bends or you'll damage the line.
>>
How to tell if your clutch is on the way out? I don't know, mine just doesn't feel right. It doesn't slip or anything at least i can't feel it or see it. Delivers power okay but the car just doesn't seem to hook as hard as it use to.
>>
>>17569089
Where the engines placed what wheels are turned and how well the suspension is designed is more important.

Weight and power are going vary greatly, You have V8's that are lighter than I6's and I4's that have more tuning potential than V6's and vice versa.

For example a 2jz is heavier and longer than a LS Block but can potentially make more power.
>>
>>17572669
Put the car in 5th or the highest gear. start off like you would in 1st, if the car shuts off great means your clutch is ok, if the car keeps running and revving then you have a problem.
>>
>>17572669
usually the throwout bearing will die first and it will make a buzzing sound when the clutch is pressed

THINGS TO DO FIRST:
try adjusting the linkage/pedal travel
or if hydraulic linkage change fluid or replace master and slave cylinders
>>
>>17571643
find an interior with a different color or have the leather re-dyed.

Honestly though Dove Gray leather always looks good in a BMW, can't go wrong with it.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Can I keep grinding this then paint it with ruststopper or por15?
Or should I just cut the whole thong out and weld it
>>
>>17572748
depends on how thin the metal has gotten from rusting away. if it's still pretty thick, I think keep sanding and then paint would be the better way to go. Cut and weld only if there isn't any metal left.
>>
File: file.png (4MB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
4MB, 2560x1600px
What are the upcoming redesigned (2018) mid-range luxury sedans/coupes?

A4
A5
E class
>>
so some guy is selling a really clean subaru legacy GT 2.0 with a built engine and a turbo upgrade plus a lot of other work done to it, he never mentions how much power its putting down though. Would it be safe to say over 350hp?
>>
I know it's more expensive, but how much more does the minimum vehicle insurance coverage in countries in Europe cost vs the US equivalent? I can't really compare my insurance to the numbers I've seen online since I have liability only on a sub $2,000 car from the 90s while the numbers I've seen online are for full coverage on a new car.
>>
>>17572893
Maybe he's never had it dynoed?

With out knowing what exactly has been done to it, its a unknown quantity anyways. Power shouldn't be the only thing you're considering.
>>
File: _20170720_184800.jpg (80KB, 448x565px) Image search: [Google]
_20170720_184800.jpg
80KB, 448x565px
i bought these side visors for the cressida (they fit) but it came with no mounting parts.
where could i possibly get something like these?
>>
Hopefully finding my first professional job soon (fresh out of college). Currently have a decent car, but looking at getting something else used (10k~22k range, hell maybe even low as 5k).

Say I make like 40-60k/yr how long should I wait to buy a car?
>>
File: 1480297193609.jpg (53KB, 500x509px) Image search: [Google]
1480297193609.jpg
53KB, 500x509px
>>17573691
>what is a hardware store?

>>17573709
>didn't look at the sticky
20 years minimum
>>
>>17573717
>20 yrs min
literally wot
>>
File: 20170715_133301.jpg (137KB, 1032x774px) Image search: [Google]
20170715_133301.jpg
137KB, 1032x774px
Own a 1998 dc4 integra LS manual transmission
When I leave it running in 2nd gear it keeps going, stays around 5mph and never stalls until I slam the brakes to a complete stop, is this normal or something that needs to be repaired? thanks
>>
>>17574481
clutch is going out
see >>17572724
>>
>>17573910
How new ru?
He's telling you to fuck off and read the sticky. I'm in a similar position (first job out of college, making 85k) and bought a car for 18k a few months after getting the job. After saving up an emergency fund, I'm paying it off fast as it's my highest interest loan at about 1900 a month, should take less than a year.

Don't know how useful this is to you, but don't get something you'll be paying off forever.
>>
>>17574505
alright senpai, will update tomorrrow since its night and car blocking my way
>>
What's a 5 seat equivalent of an mx5?
>>
>>17574633
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_(first_generation)
>>
>>17573717
went to multiple stores and online and couldn't find anything that i could use
>>
>>17574700
try mcmaster-carr
>>
why do these threads always gotta past bump limit when I need them?

anyway, poor choices today led to a stomach problem and I projectile vomited inside my car (literally 2 turns away from my destination, an hour ride and I lost it right around the corner from my destination)

vomit got on:
>the drivers door
>steering wheel
>shifter
>dash
>windshield

I've already wiped off whatever I could find off with warm damp cloth, followed by a soapy cloth, followed by disinfectant/odor killer

I want to know if there's any other steps I should take tonight aside for vacuuming and airing the car out tomorrow
>>
Can brake fluid begin to evaporate if the service interval is two years and the last change was in 2011?
>>
>>17575035

You will run out of it. Your brakes are running on air. You will hit a tree. You will die. Go change the brake fluids you cheapfag. Brake fluid is one of the last things you want to neglect.

Also, here's my question :
>Be summer
>Be on winter tires because reasons
>Tires start to lose pressure
>Go to petrol station and get the pressure to normal levels
>Go park car
>Next day one of the tires is completely deflated, all the other ones are fine.
>Check for the seal, it's there, sealing tight.

Anyone know why ? There's no slash or anything, and the other tires are just fine.
>>
Swapping transmissions on Saturday for my RX7. Both are the exact same, putting one from an NA hatch that I'm into an NA Vert. Will I need to replace any bearings with it? Or should i be fine for a drop and swap?
>>
>>17575293
Just bought the car mang, but thanks. Gonna change it next week.

There might be a ding or crack in your rim, if the tyre itself isn't leaking. Might be the valve as well.
>>
>>17573143
Wiseco forged pistons
Eagle forged rods
ARP headstuds
Cosworth head gaskets
ACL bearings
Kinugawa TD05-20G STS with Billet wheel upgrade and billet actuator

this is some of the engine work, its not that much desu I honestly think its putting down like 300 wheel at most.
>>
File: xdd.jpg (53KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
xdd.jpg
53KB, 600x337px
>>17575652
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.