[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /o/ think of the new Tesla cars?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 294
Thread images: 35

File: IMG_0824.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0824.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
What does /o/ think of the new Tesla cars?
>>
>>17547738
Does the engine make explosions? No? Then I don't care
>>
>>17547738
nigger
>>
>>17547738
Badly made and over priced.
>>
File: IMG_0983.jpg (49KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0983.jpg
49KB, 640x480px
Amazing build quality
>>
>>17547738
Reddit: the car
>>
File: IMG_0825.jpg (225KB, 1749x984px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0825.jpg
225KB, 1749x984px
>>17547742
That's so very like the anons on this board - a blind and irrational dedication to the internal combustion engine. Luddites of the worst sort. "I'm not going to drive some bloody golf caht on the road!" Never mind that it's a fast car that handles great.

It smacks of oil crisis denialism in the 70s - many car magazines and writers were dead set against the very idea of the oil embargo, mostly because it threatened their hobby. Rather than adopt a new word view, dig into some outright lies and people fell for it, hampering on about that they won't even think about driving a car that could be a game changer.

Instead of going on about how you 'won't drive a car built after 1995' why don't you consider that maybe, *just maybe* things can change for the better?
>>
The future of cars, triggers faggots
>>
>>17547785
Shill please go. No one wants your overpriced autocrashing shitboxes here.
>>
>>17547785
There are reasons why people might not want to drive Teslas other than them being electric.

>godawful, soulless interiors
>requires software updates like a fucking iPhone
>by using the autopilot feature you're directly contributing to the demise of driving as a hobby
>>
>>17547738
i saw a model x the otha week
it looked like dogshit. the design and shape of it looked like a downsyndrome autism wheelchair.
>>
>>17547785
>It's the future!™

Ever thought about getting a real job, cunt?
>>
>>17547742
>does the metal eat hay like my horse? No? Then i don't care, i got crops to tend to
>>
>>17547829
How are electric vehicles an improvement from ICE vehicles in the same way that ICE vehicles were to horses?
>>
>>17547829
Horses don't make sweet exhaust notes you dipstick
>>
>>17547840
to be honest, you could have said the same thing for early ICE vehicles.
>that gasoline shit is so dangerous
>i have to crank the engine by hand and it could literally break my wrist as it starts
>there are no gas stations, or very few
>these ICE things are so expensive, horses are cheap
>everyone knows how to tend to horses but these new things nobody knows how they work
etc
>>
>>17547848
Don't get me wrong, I don't actually have a problem with EVs. But I have yet to find one that isn't targeted towards numales and green party voters
>>
>>17547866
that's mostly because the technology is too new, much like early gas cars.
>>
File: 45464.jpg (858KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
45464.jpg
858KB, 2048x1536px
>>17547866
the ktm e bike is ok
I ridden one, its quick still but man would like a 2 stroke bike over it any day.
>>
I honestly love them. I mean they are electric but shit man..they are actually good. I enjoy the fact that they are the rwd sedans I have been waiting for since forever. The issue for me is the price. Its more expensive than base bmw or mercs.
>>
>>17547742
>>17547785
Literally the same poster
>>
>>17547738
Enjoy your no torque at any relevant speed.
>>
>>17547782
This
>>
>>17547777
Is that a pedal?
>>
combustion fags BTFO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSSdMvl8_mY
>>
Teslafags are a cult. They always have creepy smiles, they preach their gospel about the EV and how ICE cars are the Devil, and see Elon Musk as a messiah. Not even GTR fanboys, or Honda fanboys, or LS fanboys, etc. are that bad.
>>
>>17547785
HAHAAHA YOU LITERALLY COPYPASTED THIS FROM REDDIT FAGGOT

>https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/6nmsxj/when_top_gear_tried_its_best_to_stop_tesla_and/

You can go back now.
>>
>>17547738
we should ban electric cars because my pastor says they use too much gas
>>
>>17548570
Actually most people know about this
>>17548554
Elon Musk is a bit of a interesting dude though. My response to the gtr/Honda etc fanboys not being as bad is because they have nothing to flaunt. At the end of the day a gtr will always be a gtr but Tesla is putting out some next level shit. You don't have to like it...please don't take this as me trying to sway you on anything but you have to admit this guy is making moves in the electric industry
>>
Has anyone on /o/ actually had a face to face interaction with a Tesla owner?
>>
>>17548627
I have actually. Why?
>>
>>17548570
I wrote my own thing but it was deleted like right at the end because my phone refreshed so I just copied it from there and edited it, same fucking thing.

Also how did you even know to look there? Unless you browse the place as well. Here is a hint, so does everyone else here on this site.
>>
>>17547738
I've heard they have crappy build quality, the company has some kind of DRM thing with the software in case you want to do any mods, and they seem really expensive for what you actually get. I'm also butthurt that the rest of us taxpayers have to indirectly subsidize them through the tax credit. So I don't like them.
>>
>>17548627
Yup. 2 Tesla owners always show up at the local cars and coffee
>>
no thanks i like driving
>>
>>17548646
I reversed searched it, because i did not think you were eloquent enough to have made it yourself.
>>
Whats funny is Telsa gets tons a government money and actually make strides with it. Gm and all the bailout flunkies are still struggling to make appealing conservative vehicles.
>Chevy : still making sub par cars/ decent trucks but not as good as toyota
>Ford : Still making subpar trucks / decent trucks but not as good as toyota
>dodge/Chrysler/jeep : don't even bother

and here we have a pretty youthful company literally stepping over companies that are literally as well known as coca cola
>>
>>17548741
correction
The volt/bolt are the only real attempts at making moves. I actually like those two.
>>
>>17548725
So you think Reddit is? I guess we all have our secrets
>>
>>17548633
>>17548678
And they were so abrasive they turned you off an entire company?
>>
>>17548779
Fags with usernames tend to put more effort into their imaginary internet points. You're awfully defensive, kid.
>>
I wouldn't mind one as an A to B vehicle.

I have to be at work by 6am. Along with an hour commute there and an hour and a half commute back, it would be a great vehicle to set on autopilot and either get a quick nap, or maybe check/send out some work email.

I bet they could be pretty fun, but that wouldn't be how I'd use it. electric + auto-pilot for work, ICE for fun.

There are too many cars on the road, along with a robust industry behind them to be completely phased out. You would just see more of them on the road, driven by the average consumer. Enthusiasts would still have their ICE machines, at worst, being only utilized on the weekends.
>>
>>17548780
No. Contrary to what you read here most of them are tolerable if not normal. I would even argue most conventional normie car guys are much more abrasive than Tesla owners. Forget about modern muscle car guys...they are literally the fucking worst, they seriously are not joking about mustang owners.
>>
>>17547841
Uhh yeah they do ever heard a horse fart ?
>>
Tesla will be bankrupt in 5 years. Screenshot this.
>>
File: IMG_20131005_100939.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20131005_100939.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>17548780

I've got nothing against the company, they just don't sell anything I'm interested in buying

The owners I've met were stereotypical of the high end car crowd

One of the guys is a younger (mid-20's) rich arabic d-bag who's father is a senior chemist with GSK. He also owns a GT-R that he's run into the fucking ground.

Other guy is an older white dude, retired engineer from IBM, always fun to talk to, hangs out with a bunch of other old guys who always bring their 'Vettes
>>
>>17548809
I find that hard to believe, most /o/ posters make north of $100k a year so I assume most of them regularly talk to Tesla owners while doing networking and whatnot, and have come up with a correct judgment of them, sounds like your case is an outlier
>>
>>17548820
probably not. You know the government actually gives them money right? More like in 5 years the government will start using teslas as fleet cars.
>>
File: 1428375615149.jpg (24KB, 500x454px) Image search: [Google]
1428375615149.jpg
24KB, 500x454px
>>17548828
>taking a bland generic Tesla to car show
>>
File: IMG_20131005_101153.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20131005_101153.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>17548835
Car's & Coffee isn't what I would call a "car show"
>>
>>17548835
C&C is basically a shitbox show, except for the random rich loser that shows everyone up by bringing an expensive car
>>
>>17548829
Where is this figure from? 100k a year seems like a lot from the job/what you drive threads. I would day a median income of 55-90k..but whatever that's not the topic.
Most ev car people are big nerds about mpg and stuff. Tesla makes a decent performing car which appeals to car folks. I enjoy to what I call car show walk and literally talk to everyone with something interesting...most muscle car dudes..like the said the modern ones are pretentious and think they have something special. Mind you this is ok because I understand the passion behind it but shit man...there is literally no reason why you have to
>brap your engine so everyone can hear it regardless if they want to
>rolling burnouts
>calling everyone with a muscle car out
>throwing a shitfit when you don't win best in show
>throwing a shitfit when someone doesn't know what they have
anyways I'm sure there are humble guys out there but it seems that all I have encountered at shows are jerks.

ev dudes come off as pretentious because the nature of it
>>
>>17548829
>I find that hard to believe, most /o/ posters make north of $100k a year
Why do you still post here heartbreaker, we all know you're the most fucking retarded tripfag here
>>
>>17548424
Why didn't they use the same car twice? Oh right, the battery died.
>>
>>17548829
LMAO im draggin the average down for sure
>>
>>17548856
do you know how much money it takes to run a combustion drag car? funny cars usually get ran a few times before something breaks. Each run probably costs more to run than a normal car does in years.
>>
>>17548849
>>17548855
You're not implying people would outright LIE on an anonymous imageboard are you? Why would anonymous people lie, what do they have to gain?
>>
File: 1394136031478.png (85KB, 250x235px) Image search: [Google]
1394136031478.png
85KB, 250x235px
>>17548880
>people being dishonest on 4chan
>>
>>17548880
>He's laughing with another girl.
>and playing
>with another heart.
>>
>>17548876
You can run 10's in a Hellcat all day long and drive home.
>>
>>17547928
>the technology is too new
Electric vehicles are almost 200 years old.
>>
>>17548916
Who cares. Its not like the avg hellcat owner can actually drive that car under every condition.
>>
>>17548920
this
>>
>>17548920
LiPo batteries are barely two decades old
and only now are they getting comparable range to gas engines
>>
>>17548880
>>17548890
I ain't got any proofs but a club I'm with is invited to a Tesla dealership for a private tour and some q&a I think. Is there anything really worth asking them that hasn't been asked before? It's car enthusiasts talking to car enthusiasts so they're more honest about things. A rep already told us the 3 is like a Civic and most will be around $50k with options.
>>
>>17548924
Who cares about a Tesla's drag time when it only does it once?
>>
>>17548948
Dude didn't you see my last post. Top tier drag cars don't make countless runs either. Its just the nature of it.
>>
>>17548958
We aren't talking about top tier drag cars. We're talking about normal daily drivers.
>>
>>17548964
the hellcat is a shit daily driver though. What is your argument anon? This site is for 18 year olds.
>>
>>17548986
707hp in a Mercedes chassis is a bad DD? Huh, I would think the car with the gigantic LCD screen that you can't turn off and sub 200 miles of range then takes hours to recharge would be a worse DD.
>>
>>17548986
Daily driver is to /o/ as "desktop OS" is to /g/

/o/: A bunch of spergs saying that their favorite is/isn't one because they need/don't need to carry five people, a dog, and 800lbs of shit from costco once a week while spending less than $50 on gas a month because they are fucking poor
/g/: a bunch of spergs saying their favorite is/isn't one because they need/don't need microsoft office for highschool and play/don't play world of warcraft

"Daily driver" is relative to your daily drive.

>>17547928
No, it's because musk is a green party voting numale himself, aka a giant manchild.

>dude wouldn't it be kewl if we went to mars lmao
>white americans: *starving*
>black africans: *starving even harder*
>dude mars colonies lmao, we could even do science every now and then but mostly i think it would be cool if people lived on mars
>most of the earth's surface: *uninhabited and underutilized*
>spaceX is a priority for me
>the human race: *ridden with strife and suffering*
>and so is reducing carbon dioxide emissions because i care about the environment!
>[overfishing and destructive logging in the background]
>[mines that supply tesla production literally destroying the earth]
>once we stop farting out so much carbon dioxide this planet will last forever haha
>>
>>17549021
so basically you're all
>why spend money up there when we have so many problems down here
>>
>>17549016
Do you realize how many miles 200 is? Probably not. Your hellcat gets like what? 10mpg? Also not to mention fuel costs for avg cars is like 1,000.00 per year and I think electricity costs like 11 cents per kilowatt . Yeah ill take the rolling ipad.
>>
>>17549028
What would you rather have, massive problems down here and a few fiberglass domes with hipsters in them on mars, or less problems down here and actual scientists continuing to work on the ISS when they need low gravity for experiments?
>>
I got raped in a Tesla
>>
>>17549021
>>17549035
Sounds like you have it all figured out, now you just need to make a billion dollars, start a handful of companies to accomplish your vision, and follow through. Or just whine about what other people are doing your whole life while accomplishing nothing, your choice.
>>
>>17549035
Also I find it sad that he thinks mars is a "backup plan", like he expects the earth to go kaput forever and be worse at supporting life than a rock without a functioning magnetosphere or breathable atmosphere.

Maybe that wouldn't be a certain future if he would stop sourcing shit from strip mining and offshore drilling to make his copper/plastic-laden shitboxes and solar powered factories.
>>
>>17549035
something to realize is that there have always been and will always be problems down here, and diversification is important, as is industrializing the solar system in general.
Another thing to realize is that even if all that effort you consider wasteful was spent down here it wouldn't even make a dent, since problems down here are endemic and don't get fixed by more money
>>
teslas are the future whether you want to accept it or not. self driving electric cars. thats fucking awesome. anyone driving around in whatever the equivalent of a hellcat is in 20 years will look like a hillbilly moron. maybe not out in backwoods arkansas, but everyone anywhere that matters will be getting zipped around in their teslas without so much as touching a gas pedal or steering wheel. embrace it or be left behind.
>>
>>17547848
We're still not at the model T equivalent point for electric. Gm is probably going to get there first with the bolt volt line.
>>
>>17549032
It gets 22mpg and has an 18 gallon tank. And 200 miles is not much. Especially when you have to have it charge 12 hours at a time.
>>
i want one for a daily
>>
>>17549052
Problems down here are fixed by efforts that cost money due to the nature of capitalism, not money, but yeah if you spend that money on something else you're also spending our time and physical/intellectual resoruces on that something else.

Also notice he doesn't want the easier target that could be achieved in less time with less resources while developing the tech needed to go all the way to fucking mars - the moon. He wants mars and only mars despite the higher risk of failure, losing contact, etc, hampering further developments and humanity's willingness to even fucking try. Because he is still a child fixated on sci fi stories about people living on mars. His goal is not diversifying our options, scientific progress, off-planet mining, no, none of that. His goal is mars because mars is cool.
>>
>>17548646
Fuck off this site isn't some exclusive club. The reddit meme is as cancerous as reddit is.
>>
>>17549061
This.Why cant anybody understand efficient vehicles are the future. This is how we move forward as a planet. Fuck the naysayers. The thing is most the people are arguing
>muh hellcats
>muhhh sounds
In reality the most pleasurable part of owning a performance car is how it handles.
>>
>>17549078
>Electric cars
>Efficient
>>
>>17549078
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLMxO-VmAlU

if you cant admit this is cool...your lying
>>
>>17549089
you are ignorant and I wont even argue with you. Have fun being excessed
>>
>>17549078
transporting one person with a vehicle that seats six is not an efficient use of resources
personal owneship of large vehicles is not efficient either

teslas are not the future of transport, they are the future of luxury for rich and overconsuming fucktards.

the future of transport is taking that electric motor and putting it in a bus and compact electric shuttles that are hailed as taxis

you want speedy, free transport that's entirely under your own control? here are your efficient options:

>feet
>bicycle
>moped
>scooter
>low displacement motorcycle (crotch rockets are awful energy hogs)

>>17549098
>someone doesn't agree with me
>they are ignorant

typical pseudointellect
>>
>>17549098
>Buys new car made out of plastic and lithium
>Charges it via coal fired power plant
>Is stuck up ignorant thinking he's saving the planet
>>
>>17549108
>Also produces thousands of these cars
>some go unsold
>run an industry where people constantly replace their cars with more newly manufactured cars because the logistics of upgrading existing vehicles in place only when necessary without saying fuck you to property rights and treating the public as a corporate flee are, eh...

Efficient! At making money. Sort of.
>>
>>17549108
This would vary to your location. Also my home is solar converted so in my case the sun
>>
File: boring company.jpg (156KB, 1001x705px) Image search: [Google]
boring company.jpg
156KB, 1001x705px
>>17549094
thats fucking amazing. this dude just tweeted this shit sitting in traffic one day half joking and is literally making it happen. there are going to be entire chapters devoted to this guy in history books 100 years from now.
>>
>>17549121
The manufacture of those solar panels wasn't very efficient

Nuclear or bust
>>
>>17547785
>handles great
BHAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>17549127
>everything aside from fossil fuels is bad
>fossil fuels are better

dude screw off. Basically what I'm saying is its all about taking positive steps to the future. coal and fossil fuels are infinitely worse than solar panels
>>
>>17549106
>the future of transport is taking that electric motor and putting it in a bus and compact electric shuttles that are hailed as taxis
all in due time. and tesla will be the ones to do it. theyre literally building out the infrastructure to do this as we speak. the model x is only a means to bring in profit to make this shit a reality. a stepping stone, if you will. you cant just thrust a radically new paradigm of transportation on the world, people will reject it. you have to make small, measurable changes, and thats exactly what musk is doing. he's taking us in this direction. can you not see that?
>>
>>17547866
The model S was supposed to be a luxury "senior manager" car. They basically just need a rwd sports electric car that does burnouts. Optional convertible for the ladies, because extra sales can't hurt
>>
>>17549139
I do get what you mean though. Its all about buyer accountability. You need to go with reputable builders
>>
>>17549124
>Elon musk invented the subway but massively overcomplicated

The best part is people still have to walk to and from the limited number of endpoints and the overall carry capacity is doubtlessly less than a proper train, because each car needs its own engine and trunk

Also rates of arrival and departure would be hampered by the elevator system, compared to just getting off the train and walking out of the station

Sasuga Elon Muskchild. At least it's cool! It would make a good shot in a sci-fi movie!

>>17549140
The world already has this paradigm. It's called taking the subway and hailing a taxi. The taxi part is the one that's still fueled by gas.

If musks' goal was actually to hype up the electric motor and get other companies to make EVs, he succeeded, but tesla a fucking shit as something to buy from rather than something to copy.

I hope to see self driving EV fleets in public service in the future but continued consumerism is not the way forward
>>
>>17549140
The government obviously sees it with all the money he gets from them. Wake up people.
>>
>>17549127

short-sighted, small people like you are why humanity suffers. But of course, while contributing absolutely nothing, you will just ride the coat-tails of the great, poo pooing it all the way while you take advantage of the efforts of your betters. You are the worst kind of feeder.
>>
>>17549151
except this isn't a subway. I can see it help in areas that get congested and would drop cars off in different areas where they could continue on by car. It works perfectly and could be perfected by the dudes who brought you the autobahn. Look into the tech that went into the autobahn btw if you haven't
>>
>>17549163
You know what would be more efficient? A high speed underground transport system for people, not cars, and having cars available at its endpoints for people to take, or sensible urban planning reducing the necessity for those cars to damn near zero

You can transport more people in a given space with a given amount of energy than you can cars
>>
>>17549156
Humanity suffers because of fearmongering faggots holding back nuclear power.
>>
>>17549151
>The best part is people still have to walk to and from the limited number of endpoints
you mean you drive to them? they for cars.. how can you badmouth something that you 100% fundamentally misunderstand? go read about it, watch some videos, and then come back.

>>17549151
>The world already has this paradigm. It's called taking the subway and hailing a taxi. The taxi part is the one that's still fueled by gas.
and taxis, buses, 18-wheelers etc are not self driving. and people still use personal modes of transportation. wanna know why? not everyone lives in a city where subways and buses are available. you seem very disconnected from any reality outside of your own bubble. instead of arguing about this stuff maybe go learn about it first. you might actually learn that you like what theyre doing.
>>
>>17549169
I'm assuming you live in a city with 500k at most
>>
>>17549174
I'm into green energy but nuclear is shit. sorry
>>
>>17549183
>they are for cars
That's a problem, because transit by car isn't very efficient.
>and taxis, buses, 18-wheelers etc are not self driving.
Self driving vehicles were in development and very, very anticipated by everyone before musk released a single car. They were in the plan before he had his shitty autopilot system.

We were already headed for the future, and musk hijacked it ala steve jobs.

>>17549188
I'm assuming the car tunnels are for such cities because the system would be horribly backed up with higher population densities, while a train system would be better suited

And higher population densities are assured in all parts of the world, sooner or later.
>>
>>17549183
>implying you would not have anything to gain living in the smallest of towns.

Dude you are the prime candidate for something like this. Electric would be tons cheaper to run some high speed transport through a ton of smaller towns and link them with the outside world. Be happy anon...you can leave the backwoods town you are from and be places in no time.
>>
>>17549200
>That's a problem, because transit by car isn't very efficient.
dude seriously, stop replying. you dont even know what youre talking about. why are you arguing about this? like, you literally dont even know what this thing is and youre rattling off arguments about how its a stupid idea. im done talking to you. this is pointless.

>>17549205
i live and work in downtown boston, i just know that there is a big wide world out there beyond the square mile radius around where i live.
>>
>>17549200
I think it would work fine in bigger cities. . try to follow along.
>highway 1 gets back up all the time.
>highway 1 would divert to 5 tunnels
>Each tunnel with transport cars to lets say 5 corners of the city
>one in the center.
>car exits and moves along to its location from the exit point.

basically all you would have to do is get to the entrance to the tunnel from wherever you are commuting from and then drive once leaving the tunnel. Basically like riding a train except it would allow people coming from out of the city to get in effectively and quickly. Sometimes its not time wise to take a train from outside of the city.
>>
>>17549213
Boston is nice. I've been before, really quiet for a large city though.
>>
>>17549217
yeah, for sure. i like quiet though.
>>
>>17549065
How uniformed are you? The new Tesla cars can fully charge in around an hour now. The cheapest model you can buy has a range of 215 miles.
>>
File: 200miles.png (216KB, 900x591px) Image search: [Google]
200miles.png
216KB, 900x591px
>>17549065
This is 200 miles anon
Get real. Use it as a judgement as I cant find anything specific to you but a google search of "what does 200 miles look like" gave me this.
>>
>>17549213
Okay, I admit, transit by car is efficient

if a your car does not sit in your garage 3/4 of the time, and if your car stops to pick up other people with a destination on the same route instead of only carrying you, and if your car is 100% autononomous instead of subject to human emotions like jealousy, anger, and fear

>>17549214
Yes, I know, it's a train with detachable cars, but worse in order to accomodate america's already shitty car-reliant urban planning.

I get the point of using the existing road network, but the existing road network will see major redesigns, diets, expansions, removals, and additions in half of our lifetime. Playing the long game, you should disregard today's road network and think about how cities will be or could be retrofitted in the future, especially when you get into major infrastructure projects like one-lane tunnel highways.

Which, by the way, are unecessary if you have self driving cars that can actually use a highway properly. No need to dig tunnels and discourage inefficiently driving from humans fighting over lanes if your cars can treat lanes as tunnels. Well, there are always per-lane exits, but a very minor road redesign would solve that. Temporarily widen the road and put an off-ramp or on-ramp right in the middle of it for that lane. Only works for bridges or surface streets that link with something underground, but hey, let's say that underground road is another road and not a fucking tunnel

>but integrating with existing traffic
Get rid of existing traffic.
>>
>>17548341
Yup
>>
They look good and that's it
>>
>>17549240
Note: per lane exits are an inefficient investment because the delays caused by a self-driving car working its way over to the exit lane are minimal

if you need to get more cars on or off at once, make a multi-lane exit. another thing humans suck at using, but humans aren't going to be driving anymore.
>>
>>17549065
and no it gets 18mpg city/22 highway ON PAPER

Here is what I found it really gets real world

http://www.fuelly.com/car/dodge/challenger?engineconfig_id=&bodystyleconfig_id=&submodel_id=73678

WAKE UP ANON..WAKE UP ANON..YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP

also to be fair 16 x 22 = 352 miles. BUT you lose money in the fuel...so 200 miles off literally cents to recharge is nothing
>>
>>17549240
Yeah but what I'm saying is that doing this could potentially get rid of traffic anon. Plus roadways and bridges in the US are literally falling apart.
>>
>>17549256
also the gas tank is 18.5 anon. Why are you lying?
>>
File: Honda_Insight_Back.jpg (98KB, 1077x625px) Image search: [Google]
Honda_Insight_Back.jpg
98KB, 1077x625px
It's still too soon. We have to wait a decade or two to see how these things have aged; will it be reasonably affordable to keep a 20 year old Tesla running or will these things be so expensive to keep running that we'll we be seeing Tesla's on Craigslist between $5K-$15K.
>>
>>17549263
If you get rid of humans you get rid of traffic is the point here, and repairing the roads is cheaper than building tunnels

And repairing roads is cheaper than repairing tunnels...

Tunnels? If we're going to drive ourselves for all time, I can see it. No more lane changes. No more missing your exit. No cramming 50 cars down a one lane on-ramp at 40mph to spread them apart a four lane highway that's supposed to move at 60mph. But if we're not? Self driving cars can take our inefficient systems and use them with impressive efficiency, while we can't even zipper merge.
>>
I figure I will get a prius as my next car or maybe even a volt if the mpgs are there...BUT if telsa
>cars available on demand
>better range
>fewer problems
>cheaper

I'm not sure about how much it is to run one though.
>>
>>17549283
>roads will keep getting destroyed
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgmk6G7uh0M

Tesla haters btfo
>>
>>17549334
I fucking love this company
>>
>>17549343
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxCH_lxQ4Nk

LOOK...this is what casting a shadow on people does. Dude looks up to these pioneers as heros and they shrug him off. Why is that guys? I think Musk is pretty much a pioneer himself? Why the hate
>>
>>17549094
Way to prove you are a Reddit tier shill normie faggot. That idea is shit and just a last ditch to recycle crap from his failed hyperloop.
>>
>>17549396
lol. Why so mad?
>>
>>17549402
Because only basic ass bitches instigate this thieving asshole.
>>
>>17549409
what?
>>
>>17548627
My boss's boss owns a model s
He's a vain douche who doesn't understand the company he owns. The reason it got big was through luck and a Chinese wife, and now he thinks he's a business genius. He's basically reddit
>>
>>17549444
Yet you choose to work for him to make him more money
>>
>>17549444
ahha
>boss got lucky
>Chinese wife
>Having two bosses

dude you sound so butthurt because your not him
>>
File: Tesla = American Quality.jpg (40KB, 960x520px) Image search: [Google]
Tesla = American Quality.jpg
40KB, 960x520px
>>17547738
>>
I love them. I want a P100D Model S more than any other car in the world.
>>
>>17547807
I view free, over-the-air software updates as a very good thing. If one wants to update the software in a typical car, one must take it to a dealership and possibly pay hundreds of dollars just for a reflash. It's ridiculous, IMO.
>>
>>17548775
Me too. The Bolt's interior seems a little bit cheap, though.
>>
>>17551081
they need to put those mpgs as well. The prius can kick its ass
>>
>>17551517
Do you mean the Volt? My mom has a 2013 Volt. 37 mpg isn't very good compared to the Prius. We mostly don't use the engine, though, so we have an average of about 80 mpg since we got it.
>>
File: IMG_8074.jpg (193KB, 2048x1360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8074.jpg
193KB, 2048x1360px
>>17547738
As far as performance cars go, they'll be resting in pepperonis as soon as Porsche comes into the EV market in 2020. Pic related.
>>
>>17549248
Yeah, I think I'm going to wait two years for them to work through all the recalls they're going to be making.
>>
>>17551060
>signs EULA for car
>a very good thing
fucking yuppie
>>
>>17551517
The Prius has gone through a decade of development, that isn't surprising. It's actually quite a good economy car now.

Not that I would be caught dead driving one, mind you.
>>
File: 1496286547748.gif (448KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1496286547748.gif
448KB, 200x200px
>tfw aspiring to fund a classic car hobby by working in the nuclear industry
How fucked am I? When are all the gas stations going to close down? When will people recognize how safe, clean, and efficient nuclear power has gotten and will continue to get?

I'll admit that Tesla makes okay cars, but doing so feels like I'm signing my dreams away. I should just let go to keep my sanity.
>>
>>17551720
Reactor operator here. How are you getting your certs? The paying jobs come with training/education and experience.
>>
File: rub it.png (154KB, 1375x1279px) Image search: [Google]
rub it.png
154KB, 1375x1279px
>>17549334
>wanted 70 grand for my roof

Yeah no, fuck off. Cost of the roof and electricity over 30 years my fucking ass. All this will end up doing is costing my neighbors $18k in tax credits so this snake oil salesman can sleep on a mattress filled with taxpayer shekels.
>>
>>17551729
I accepted a scholarship from the NRC, and I'm getting one with my mechanical engineering degree.
>>
>>17547777
Hollow plastic pedal?
>>
>>17547777
>literally has worse build quality than my shitty PS2 racing wheel from 2003
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>17548835
Notice that he's got his "engine bay" on display? He's shitposting irl, just like every other Tesla owner.
>>
>>17552568
they eventually figured out that it was installed incorrectly. force was being applied in the wrong spot. Not a fundamental metallurgical or design issue. Just improper installation - but, it shouldn't have been able to be installed wrong in the first place.

Either way it's not as bad as it looks
>>
>>17552619
In other words, the car was slapped together?
>>
>>17547840
They're vastly more efficient and durable.
>>
>>17548671
You're not paying for a Tesla. No, not even indirectly. The only thing you get is an exemption from paying income tax, up to $7500. And why don't you form your own opinion rather than being a sheep powered on hearsay?
>>
>>17547738
Yes, I fucking love the idea of a remote controlled toaster box that also doubles as a 5 passenger commuter vehicle.

Tesla is premier in building cars that also double as drone assassination vehicles. Nothing like getting in the car, getting out of the driveway and then realizing that you have no control over the vehicle. The car promptly drives itself to an abandoned parking lot where someone remotely triggers the batteries to overload, flash frying you in 60 seconds or less.

Driving in traffic and relying on Tesla completely electronic controls? Hahaha, think again dipshit. That 13 year old sitting in his mommy Honda Odyssey that's in the next lane could be remotely hacking and deactivating your proximity sensors because some poo in da loo Pajeet forgot his Java and didn't do a static method.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePuyxoZRerk
>these comments
This is why Teslafags are hated
>>
/o/ is terrified of electric cars for one reason. They will never get to own a "dream car" which will be combustion. By the time they save up all the
>nissans 3 whatever z will be electric
>bmws will be electric
>mercs electric
>miatas electric
and that pisses them the fuck off. Also Elon Musk is fucking crazy good and what he does and will likely be the 1st automarker to really push the electric idea as a whole. Theres a story about him where he was looking for a job at netscape or something and instead of going in for the interview he just starts his own business. That isn't normal...this guy is obviously different and like I said will likely blown a hole in the way we look at cars
>>
>>17553213
exactly. And desu I would love if my car could drive around and make money for me when I'm not using it. You are only driving your car on average 4% of the time in a year anyways or something.

As long as there is a good rating system, that is. Wouldn't want bozos to use it who spilll their drinks and whatever.
>>
>>17553208
You know that top gear actually lied about it running out of power right? Remember how tesla can monitor cars remotely? lol top gear btfo
>>
>This thread
>>
>>17553245
speaking of which, the latest autopilot-made-me-crash story was retracted today by the owner. he says he turned it off before the crash. What a surprise... Alas, the corrections to the stories already written about it will never get the same amount of views.
>>
>>17553245
> Remember how tesla can monitor cars remotely?
Wow, BASED Tesla. Why not put some security cameras in the new Teslas while you're at it.
TheFuture™
>>
>>17553301
They honestly should. keeping punks accountable
>>
>>17548646
>so does everyone else on this site
Only the faggots do, and it's painfully obvious who you are.
>>
File: 1497488697516.jpg (75KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1497488697516.jpg
75KB, 720x720px
>>17553213
I'm afraid because I've wanted to own classics all my life, but now, it seems like they will be outlawed or the gas stations will close before I can achieve it. I'm wondering if I should move on and drop the dream, because the writing is on the wall at this point.

I'm trying to finish school ASAP so I can partake in the hobby before it's too late. I have been trying to find a chink in Elon's armor all this time, and it doesn't seem to exist. His vision will be realized, and my aspirations are wholly incompatible. Are these fears even realistic?
>>
File: cute ferrets.jpg (53KB, 598x413px) Image search: [Google]
cute ferrets.jpg
53KB, 598x413px
>>17548775
>>17551081
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-autos-generalmotors-production-idUSKBN1A227I

chevy cant sell bolts for shit. they cost more than a model 3 and look like garbage. they initiated a temporary shutdown of the plant that makes them, and just had to extend that shutdown because they have a 3+ month supply of inventory sitting on their lots that no one wants to buy. there still undergoing rolling layoffs through august because the employees making the bolts are no longer needed. theyve sold 7500 of them to date. 7500. tesla has over 300000 preorders for the model 3.

and when other manufacturers are all out playing catch up rushing their EVs to market, guess who theyre going to be buying their batteries from? guess whose supercharger network theyre going to be relying on? guess whose solar roofs and battery walls theyre going to need to help sell their shitboxes?

tesla is the future, everyone else is just picking up the scraps.
>>
>>17553626
Yeah they cost more than a 3 because it actually exists lol
>>
File: 129791361356.jpg (115KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
129791361356.jpg
115KB, 720x960px
>>17547738
>matte finish
>>
File: 1495055831277.jpg (106KB, 593x578px) Image search: [Google]
1495055831277.jpg
106KB, 593x578px
>>17548424
>Destroy that car Now! Electrical sh*t is no good for racing.

>homo promo

>Sounds like my washing machine on a normal cycle..

>electric race cars are stupid shit no soung and no gears and they are heave

>Fast Vacuumcleaner. ... horribly boring :(

>YAY!? Without any engine sound what is the point? Good for you, you drove a life size RC toy around a track...

>It's heartbreaking to see an electric battery powered car set a record on the worlds greatest track. It's even more heartbreaking to see that people actually like the look and also the sound of these things.

>How can a slightly modified Prius win against the Porsche 918..

>Only mechanical engine + petrol, that electric toy sounds like my shaving machine... the beauty of motorsport, is in the engine sound,

>don't Like no sound...

>This cannot be true, petrol cars are faster

>But it sounds shit. Its a fact

>Chinese car with ripped off European technology typical Chinese .

>SO GAY

>Electric is gay

>sound like a fuckin toy machine

>I'll never buy an electric car. sounds retarded

>what a joke it has a vaccuum cleaner sound worst game ever !

>Sounds like me taking a piss... . I hate electric cars...

>so fucking boring with this TOY sound. i wouldnt drive a electric car even if im paid 1M for it.
>>
>>17553638
shit man, you got me. my whole post, shit, my whole life. everything ive ever known.. shattered.

fuck.
>>
>>17553626

>tesla is the future

Yes, for the inordinately wealthy who happen to care about the environment.

I'm guessing most manufacturers will be buying batteries from whoever, there's due to be a breakthrough some point soon that will move the competition around a bit. Besides, Tesla sells packs, not the actual cells. The cells are stupid-common 18650's which everyone and their mother makes in their spare time. Plenty of options.

I would guess very few people will be relying on the supercharger network, as very few people travel 300+ miles regularly. There are, again, quite a lot of versions of electric car chargers, and the one that wins will honestly probably be the cheapest one that's universal across most vehicles, doesn't catch fire, and doesn't cost $50k to install because you have to fly a tech out to do it. There are already quite a few charging stations around me, and not only is seeing a Tesla plugged into one exceedingly rare, I've also yet to see an actual Tesla branded one installed anywhere. You make money by being universal and easy, not by building proprietary infrastructure. Imagine if gas stations had a different shaped nozzle for every make of car, and you could only fill up a Toyota at a Toyota station???

Also, the solar roofs cost more than a slate roof initially, though they supposedly earn the difference back over the course of their useful life. For comparison, a shingle roof on a normal house can go on in a day or two, including stripping the old shingles. Slate on the same roof would take 4 months or more, and solar tiles would probably take even longer. Not many people are going to hand over $50k+ for a roof. Same deal with the power walls. Great idea, but at $10k+ without rebates, too steep for normal people.
>>
>>17553743

Now, the jackass that comes up with a system that connects with one cable to an existing panel, and is modular, so you can buy a $1500 system and expand it over time to the capacity of a $10,000 system, with packs that cost $250-$500 each, will probably break into the mainstream and make a mint. But at $15k installed for a power wall, it's only every going to be the ludicrously wealthy that use it.

And even with the roofs, you can get panels installed on top of shingles, like right now, today, for $20k said and done with a payment plan that sees you paying exactly nothing out of pocket for it. Compared to triple the cost, for a roof that does the same thing but looks nicer, how many people are really going to buy Teslas new panels? Investment in speeding up the installation process, making modular, snap together panels and universal mounting systems, and reducing DOA panel shipments, would help them get into more houses. But no, they insist on making very pretty panels that only the painfully rich can afford.
>>
>>17553554
Hes honestly a cool dude when you really think about it. There is a video on pioneers of space exploration bashing him and he literally is on the verge of tears. The guy has a vision and it isn't a bad one desu.
>>
>>17553554
>A chink in his armor
He doesn't understand what he's talking about as much as he'd like you to believe. Right now, he has people to keep him from doing anything too stupid, but they may not always be around.
>>
File: solarroof.png (114KB, 1079x695px) Image search: [Google]
solarroof.png
114KB, 1079x695px
>>17553743
1) whenever a new shift in technology occurs, only the wealthy can afford it at first. look around nowadays, ive seen homeless people with iphones for christs sake.

2) with the gigafactories, tesla will be the only ones able to produce not only the quantity of battery packs needed, but at the lowest prices as well. with the sheer number theyll be able to make, their per unit costs will be lower than any smaller manufacturer will be able to offer. theyll be the go-to.

3) re: solar roof prices, see da pic

anyway, i get your healthy skepticism and you do make some good points, but this entire industry is still in its infancy and tesla has already taken what once seemed impossible and is making it happen. i have no doubt theyll adapt as necessary and become the leader in every market theyre getting into. they will be the apple of the future, a seemingly 'exclusive' ultra hip and futuristic company that everyone will be able to afford in some capacity and will pay a premium for, leading to total market dominance.
>>
>>17553833
Dude its honestly you who has no idea whatsoever.
Do you honestly think (you) some normie on 4chans /o/ knows better?
>>
File: IMG_2438.jpg (217KB, 1237x944px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2438.jpg
217KB, 1237x944px
An automated storage facility is being built at Fremont right now btw
>>
>>17553862
Yes, I think I do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erjdYiwoYAo
Straight from Musk himself.
>>
>>17553871
what am I looking for?
>>
>>17553904
Musk talking about how normal aircraft engines perform worse at higher altitude.

Musk going on about removing the control surfaces entirely.

Musk going on about how it's going to have transcontinental range (not impossible)

Among other things.
>>
>>17553926
Yeah what I'm implying is what makes you think you know better?
>>
>>17553926
>wrong

>gimbaling can replace them tho

>not impossible? You mean possible? So you agree with him?
>>
>>17547785
>Golf caht
What do you have against Bostonians? Why do you assume they have a problem with electric cars?
>>
>>17553945
I'm working on my pilot's license and study aviation in my spare time. Since you'd probably dismiss any claims I made as some anon on 4chan, here's an example of a huge team of engineers being paid huge amounts of money deciding that aircraft prefer high altitudes to lower ones.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747SP

Also removing all your control surfaces is a very bad idea. If your engines suddenly stop, you're fucked. You also bleed more energy in turns (https://theaviationist.com/2013/02/21/raptor-vs-typhoon-us/) with thrust vectoring, and your ability to change direction is dependent on engine thrust.

>>17553979
True gimballing could replace control surfaces, but it's not a great idea. I'm implying that making a plane that could cross the US without recharging would be a pain in the ass, and probably impractical.
>>
>>17553859

>with the gigafactories, tesla will be the only ones able to produce not only the quantity of battery packs needed

This is assuming the batter pack tech doesn't change in the next few years to something better, more energy dense, safer and longer lasting, which would require complete re-tooling and re-designing of both the battery packs and the facility that produces them. After investing millions, and seeing 3-5 years of use out of it, making some headway into the market, how many more millions will they be willing to reinvest to make it work with the new technology? Especially since they'll be going toe-to-toe with the big boys overseas, who not only make a living exclusively building batteries, but also have billions in capital to make it happen quickly.

>ive seen homeless people with iphones for christs sake.

True, but that doesn't change the fact that the damn phone is still $800+, and only the financially stable can actually buy one new off contract. It's also significantly more difficult to pawn a roof or a several hundred pound battery pack than it is to huck an iphone.
>>
With a $100k car you shouldnt be so poor that you cant pay for gas
>>
>>17553859

Pic is shit. From same article as that photo - "Replacing the roof of a 2,000 square-foot home in New York state—with 40 percent coverage of active solar tiles and battery backup for night-time use—would cost about $50,000 after federal tax credits."

Also, cost per square foot from different source for slate shingles is $12 per square foot, for asphalt it's $4 per square foot. For a 2000 square foot roof, that's a price difference of $16,000, with the slate roof coming in at a total of around $24,000, asphalt around $4,000, which is pretty reasonable.

Sources for pricing -

https://www.homewyse.com/services/cost_to_install_slate_roof.html

https://www.homewyse.com/services/cost_to_install_asphalt_shingle_roof.html

Assuming a power wall cost of $3500 (google result), that would mean in the above example in the source, the roof alone, as compared to traditional slate roofs, would cost an extra $22,500.

So basically, since I can't seem to find pricing for the panels, that means that the panels themselves are more than twice as expensive as slate, which is already ludicrously expensive, though it will theoretically pay for itself in generated electricity.

The problem with that picture is really that asphalt roofs are nowhere near $40 per square foot. I have no idea where they got their pricing information, but I can tell you right now that an asphalt roof is not in any way shape or form within spitting distance on price of a slate roof.
>>
>>17553990
Also Musk seems to be implying that you can go supersonic with propellers alone.
>>
>>17554017

Sorry, that's $8,000 for the asphalt roof, not $4,000. Got a bit mixed up there.
>>
>>17553990
Please never fly.

show me one single POH that states higher performance at higher altitude. What you're saying is demonstrably false. I guess they haven't got to the density altitude part of your babby's first flying lesson?

Lmao
>>
>>17554022
The XF-84H got pretty close. It was uh, kinda loud though...
>>
>>17554000
there is a lot of assuming involved, sure. it's all speculation at this point otherwise TSLA stock would be at 0$ instead of $320+. but im betting on the man that i firmly believe is the visionary of our generation. betting against musk is like betting against tom brady. some people care little about money and will do everything humanly (and sometimes seemingly inhumanly) possible to achieve their goals, and win at all costs.

>>17554017
look at the graph again. notice the legend at the top, and how it correlates to the different colors in the pink bars.
>>
>>17551628
Part of what makes the Model S so appealing to me is it's practically along with it's performance. It can seat up to seven and can hold 31.6 cubic feet of cargo with the seats up.
>>
>>17554038
I'm talking about jet propelled aircraft, which I assume Musk was talking about since he's talking about the Muskmobile being supersonic. I know that turbine aircraft make higher thrust at sea level, but the first point musk brings up in the video I posted is that "The higher you go, the more efficient the electric aircraft is, whereas if you have a combustion aircraft, as you get higher, it tends to get worse." If that's true, why aren't all airliners flying along at treetop level?

>>17554057
It's too pure for this world.
>>
>>17553196
I'd just leave it at there are way way WAY too many bells and whistles on those cars. An electric car should be simpler and more reliable than a gas powered car, just because of the opportunity to get rid of moving parts.
>>
>>17553638
The first production Model 3 has already been made.
>>
>>17551693
Okay.
>>
>>17554071
*turbine engines

I'm going to start proofreading my posts.
>>
>>17554071
dont you think he mentions 'combustion' aircraft for a reason? i mean, we're on /o/ so i assume you know the basic laws of a combustion engine. the higher you go, the less dense the air is, so the less efficient they are.

fun fact: this is actually how water/meth injection was discovered. it was used on planes back in (i think) WW1 to help them fly at higher altitudes where they'd otherwise be running too lean and experiencing detonation.

also, the reason commercial airliners fly at 30-40k feet is not because their engines run more efficiently there. it's a tradeoff with losing engine efficiency and gaining lesser (aka losing) air resistance. the faster a plane is going, the more air resistance is going to affect it, so since modern jet planes cruise at higher and higher speeds it's advantageous for them to trade off a little engine efficiency for the lower resistance.
>>
>>17553196
That's never happened, though.
>>
>>17554119
I know that combustion engines lose performance as you gain altitude, otherwise, flameouts wouldn't exist. I realize in my first post here,
>>17553926
I typed engines when I should have said aircraft. I'm retarded please no bully. Musk said "The higher you go, the more efficient the electric aircraft is, whereas if you have a combustion aircraft, as you get higher, it tends to get worse," which implies that electric aircraft don't also lose power as you gain altitude.
>>
>>17554135
but i mean, he's absolutely 100% right. electric motors perform the same at sea level as they do at 20k feet, 60k feet, hell even in space. you apply electricity and the motor spins. lower air resistance at higher altitude, coupled with identical engine efficiency, means an electric aircraft is overall more efficient the higher you go, all the way into space where it can fly away to mars (if it has enough power to break out of orbit).
>>
>>17554163
The motors do but the props don't. Eventually, you're going to run out of air.
>>
>>17554170
the sr-71 routinely flew at over 85,000 feet with turbine engines. thats a good point though, im sure there was an implied practical limit on what is expected out of a commercial airliner in musks comments. but there are other means of electronic propulsion that can be utilized once the air becomes too thin for traditional engines.
>>
>>17548741
>tesla has never made money selling cars and misses their sales estimations almost every year
>ford makes hundreds of millions of dollars in profit every year
really makes me wonder about tesla fanbois desu yall are fucking dickriders to the highest degree
>>
>>17554348
Tesla actually paid back those government loans, in full, with interest, actually giving back money to the taxpayers. The very same loans which Ford and GM defaulted on.
>>
>>17554370
>ford didn't need the load to begin with but every auto maker was getting one so they took it
>ford paid it back in full
youre pathetic. Teslafags are literally living in a alternate reality if they believe the shit they say
>>
>>17554370

Ford didn't take Govt loans.

Also they made an ad about that and the SJW's got mad.
>>
>>17554370
Ok.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-11/its-confirmed-without-government-subsidies-tesla-sales-implode
>>
>>17549192
>I'm green
>but I won't power whole cities using a basketball sized chuck of radioactive fuel
>lets build useless windmills and solar panels instead
How does it feel being retarded?
>>
>>17554377
youre right, i was referring to the loans as a whole that were given to american auto manufacturers. gm and chrysler were the ones that defaulted. ford was cool. youre right, my b.

>>17554379
yes they did, but they reinvested them wisely and paid them back.

>>17554387
cool, talk to me in 10 years when tesla has taken over the world.
>>
so fucking sick of teslas, almost every fourth car you see in norway is a model s
>>
>>17554434
>cool, talk to me in 10 years when tesla has taken over the world.

>Company that only exists because of subsides will take control over anything

it's impressive you can actually write with that level of retardation
>>
File: 1367608642425.jpg (20KB, 512x460px) Image search: [Google]
1367608642425.jpg
20KB, 512x460px
>>17554463
oh man, great point. im retarded. youve convinced me to sell all my tesla stock. what was i thinking. thanks.
>>
Most of /o/ will drive electric vehicles in 10 years.
>>
>>17547777
Hahahaha that's fucking ridiculous

I actually want a tesla though
>>
>>17554647
I do. :)

>>17556528
Me too.
>>
>>17554416
Except when these facilities fuck up and end up ruining or contaminating vast areas of land and wildlife. Listen pal...of you are going to throw the retard insult around, at least know your shit and try to have a proper conversation. You literally just proved yourself to be some edgy 17 year old who knows he knows his shit, in reality you don't...wont...and never will.
>>
>>17554647
>Most of /o/ will ride electric busses in 10 years.
FTFY
>>
>>17547738
I hate Tesla. My dad, who works for Johnson Controls, told me about how Tesla and the government asked JCI to create a battery facility for Tesla. Right after JCI finished the ENTIRE FACILITY with machinery and everything, Tesla decided "lol we're just gonna make our batteries in-house kthxbai".

A two-faced company like that doesn't deserve any respect.

>>17558021
Kek
>>
>>17558057
ahahahaha. This literally is Johnson controls problem. Who doesn't sign a fucking contract stating they couldn't back out. Also if they did a shit job they aren't obligated to follow through.
>>
>>17558090
It may be legal and "just business" but my dad is from an era where you and your company followed through with your word, so it really rubbed him the wrong way. Not that JCI is a great company anymore though. He fucking hates it there now after they merged with Tyco. He says the Tyco atmosphere is shit and his new bog-trotter boss is a massive cunt.
>>
>>17558132
Yeah I understand. Its likely jc rush the job to get on the ev bandwagon and botched it. You gotta admit tesla is an innovative control and if jc is run by boomers which I likely is they probably fucked it all up. Musk is an interesting dude.
>>
>>17558159
I'll admit Musk is anal retentive and wanted things done perfectly his way which is likely the reason Tesla backed out of the deal. JCI already makes most of the batteries used in cars created today, everything from lithium ion to regular lead acid. They had just recently sold their automotive branch though.
>>
>>17558174
Yeah the dude is pretty crazy. I'm fairy good at judging peoples intentions and whatnot and what I get from musk isn't the normal (money,money,money,power,greed) although I'm sure finance has a lot to do with it since he has to appease his funders but he definitely is driven by innovation and success. I think his vision of the world and how it works is different from you and I, but I'm fairly sure it isn't malicious as most of /o/ will say it is.
>MUHHHH PETROL
>MUHHH COMBUSITION

He definitely has a vision of a more efficient earth. FUCK man he makes one of the best cars on the road and its fucking electric. Most car enthusiasts have been bitching about a rwd sedan that is affordable for like a decade or two. The model 3 is like 30k which is definitely affordable and I'm pretty sure its rwd...not sure though. People need to acknowledge that human error is a huge contributor to accidents and lack of efficiency. To prove this just look up some of the tesla accident avoidance videos on yt...the real world ones...it will blow your mind how quick this thing is. I will admit I would have ate it in most of those instances if the car wouldn't have taken over
>>
>>17558210
People will argue against computer control but shit man. Honestly people don't deserve that control...not when human life is at risk. Sorry that a computer can do it better...that's life
>>
>>17554647
nope over my dead body desu
>>
>>17558217
If it's my life, fuck you. I end it as I please. A mountain road will be my grave. The burial, tumbling down a cliff to be devoured by coyotes.

>inb4 other people depend on you, your life isn't yours blah blah christcommie shit
No. The only people depending on me are my parents, depending on me dying so they don't have a literal 'dated a 12 year old at 22' pedo in the family anymore.

also yes she had tits
>>
>>17558210
Not at all man. I don't think he's malicious at all. He's a businessman and he's selling the first widely available and affordable EV "green energy" automobile. The green energy part I think is dubious considering how much mining, shipping, and refining has to go into creating those battery packs but the "available and affordable EV" is what really gets me excited. Tesla is basically spearheading the new electrical frontier in the automotive market. I think in 10-20 years the market will see more EV vehicles in demand if Tesla is successful and can prove itself as a capable manufacturer.

If Tesla can stand on its own two legs and stay in the market without government subsidies I will be thoroughly impressed.
>>
>>17558255
your rambling reeks of autism and lack of awareness
>>
>>17558263
Too bad our power grid is already over capacity lol. It can't support everyone charging their teslas at home. We'd be importing the output of canadian coal plants just to keep the lights on.

he should have thought this through

no mass electric transport for you unless cities make way for it, in which case it will be public transit, not personal sedans
>>
>>17558273
I literally have autism.

And I know you were referring to dumbasses who don't want to drive but plow through traffic anyways, but look where you fucking are.

The future is looking so grim I might need to buy a hayabusa, but that detracts from the divine justice aspect of an "accidental" death on a dark, dangerous road and just paints you as a moron.
>>
>>17558263
When I'm in the market for my next vehicle it will undoubtable be an ev. That being said if the market has not gotten more competitive I will not. essentially 200 miles of charge is astounding, I will like to see a number in the 300-500 range for me to buy. That and the quality but that can be easily fixed. My father says the same as you will the 10-20 year margin for a bigger market but I'm gunning for 5-10. Hasn't Volvo already announced full electric soon?
>>
>>17558274
Is our power grid over capacity? I really don't know enough about it to speak with confidence.

America would do well to follow France's lead and adopt more nuclear power. If there's one thing those Frogs did well, it was that.

>>17558290
If I knew where I would be in 5-10 years I would probably get an EV if they are competitive in the market by then, but I may be deployed on a ship in the middle of the Pacific and any car isn't going to do me much good out there unless it comes with paddles.

>essentially 200 miles of charge is astounding, I will like to see a number in the 300-500 range for me to buy
200 miles is on the base models but I believe the higher end models have a 350 mile range. That's competitive in miles per gallon with many econoboxes. The problem is the infrastructure needed. I doubt that rural areas will have charging ports readily available for some time. I imagine it won't be as big of an issue in cities. I imagine that we will see a shift to EV in cities and suburbs with ICE remaining a staple of rural living for a long time.

>Hasn't Volvo already announced full electric soon?
That was for Polestar, yes
>>
>>17558477
You are right. Lets be real here. Combustion is becoming obsolete. Electric cars have been around for as long as them and clearly lets see who is winning. Tesla managed to make a fucking economy electric car that blows the doors off actual performance cars in how long? The tech is clearly superior.
>inb4 muhh combustion, I can built a car that beats a tesla

and it will get 9 mpg and shoot rods
>>
>>17558519
oh and not to mention probably cost a shit ton more. People forget very few grassroots car builders do it on the cheap. Most of these spec'd up cars you see have like 30k of work
>>
>>17558521
The only thing I worry about with tesla is the wear the Ludacris launches actual do to the motors
>>
>>17547807
if self driving cars are the future your shitposts aren't going to stop it faggot
>>
>>17548252
t. doesn't know how electric motors work
>>
>>17558519
Yep. I'll miss ICE when it's gone, because I like the noises and the feelings and I grew up with it, but EV is the near future and I've accepted that fact.
>>
>>17558554
Dude fuck the noises. EV at least teslas literally glue you to the seat. You can take my fart cannon 6 cylinder that is all noise and issues and ill take the sound of something that sounds like a figgen electric charge that shoves me and everyone else into the seat. Shit is impressive. fuck combustion electric is the future
>>
>>17558566
Nah man I really like the rawness of ICE. EV may clearly be the better performer but I love everything about combustion. The noises, the smells, the feelings, everything.
>>
>>17549021
>calls musk a nu male
>cares about starving Africans

pick one fag
>>
>>17553554
To be fair I'm betting on all EV's and hybrids becoming illegal. If it does happen then it'd do so much more good.
>>
>>17551720
>safe, clean, and efficient

>nuclear power

Pick 1 and only fucking 1 you stupid autist
>>
>>17558646
>I hope it fails because I don't like it.
>>
>>17554647
>muh in x years we have a utopian sci-fi society
>>
>>17558649
>nuclear power isn't safe, clean, and efficient
Do you live in bizzaro world ?
>>
>>17558659
nuclear power isn't safe. Its volatile. Guns are "safe" as well but accidents happen...and accidents make things dangerous
>>
>>17554647
Most of /o/ will probably be on welfare orin 10 years as well...still driving the 3k civics and unable to marry a bride.
>>
>>17558665
>nuclear power
>volatile

lel, are you fucking stupid?
>>
>>17558665
Dude you're retarded. Nuclear power is very safe. Nuclear power stations are not volatile.
>>
File: this.jpg (63KB, 350x549px) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
63KB, 350x549px
>>17558672
>>
File: also this as well.png (53KB, 282x179px) Image search: [Google]
also this as well.png
53KB, 282x179px
>>17558682
>>
>>17558700
Two incidents in the entire history of nuclear power and everybody says nuclear power should be banned.

Islamic attacks in Europe every other week and we just need to be more tolerant of Islam.

This is how the brain dead liberal environmentalist mind thinks.
>>
File: andthis.png (105KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
andthis.png
105KB, 259x194px
>>17558708
>>
>>17558700
>shitty russian reactor with broken fail safes exploded

woah no way
>>
File: not dangerous at all.jpg (45KB, 400x571px) Image search: [Google]
not dangerous at all.jpg
45KB, 400x571px
>>
>>
>>17558700
>>17558708
>>17558716
>>17558723
>>17558730

>I am fucking retarded

lel, nuclear power isn't volatile you inbreed retard, certain kinds of nuclear reactors are kept under pressure which means that there are prone to sudden uncontrolled decompression

nuclear reactors that are not kept under pressure cannot blow up

there is absolutely no way you are not a fucking dumbass, are you american by any chance?
>>
>>17558723
>>17558730
you can't just post different newspaper clippings of the same two incidents until people listen to you
>>
>>
>WE WANT EVERYBODY TO DRIVE ELECTRIC CARS
Well, alright, but our current power generation facilities are woefully inadequate for the task. We would need to build more nuclear power plants.
>GREEN POWER ONLY, NO NUCLEAR
Well alright, we'll have to hold back on getting everybody into electric cars then.
>GASOLINE KILLS THE PLANET
Get out of my office.
>>
>>17558700
>Russians design a reactor in the 50s, then build it on the cheap and don't bother to add a containment structure
>Staff it with barely trained operators who are told what to do but not why, and people picked for political reasons
>Something goes wrong
COLOR ME SHOCKED
>>
>>17558717
>>17558756
t. CNN
>>
>>17558733
>are you american by any chance

There's a good chance, most Americans seem irrationally afraid of nuclear power. t. American tired of most people being afraid of nuclear power.
>>
>>17558711
Take it for what its worth since its wiki but you can look into them.
>only 2
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_and_radiation_accidents_and_incidents

Also what this list fails to account for are people effected by the radiation etc etc.
>>
File: black-lung[1].jpg (141KB, 797x502px) Image search: [Google]
black-lung[1].jpg
141KB, 797x502px
>>17558700
Slavshit employed because of party loyalty and not his quality wants to get over 400% from one reactor.
He succeeds, after manually turning down all primary and backup safety systems.

>>17558708
Literaly nothing happened. Big scare, all safety measures worked as intended.

>>17558716
Tsunami and earthquake.

Are you mentally challenged?
More people die yearly from mining accidents and diseases then from nuclear accidents.

Worst of them, Chernobyl claimed 38 people with over 130 getting cancer and dying later.
This is nothing compared to mining.
>>
>>17558708
>Huge amounts of operator error and a few systems breaking down leads to the reactor melting down
>Containment contains the bits of core in the reactor vessel and the water in the building
>Accident limited to the building it happened in
>Everything else in good enough condition to be used for spare parts in other reactors
>Reactor next door operates to this day
This is why you build a containment, unlike Russians
>>17558716
That's natural gas storage you huge mongoloid.
>>
>>17558756
Didn't they intentionally turn off all the safeties as a test to see how long the turbines would spin without power? I'll go look it up but it's insane what they did.
>>
File: IMG_0770.jpg (41KB, 415x393px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0770.jpg
41KB, 415x393px
>>17558761
>>
File: 1497171347658.jpg (545KB, 957x1097px) Image search: [Google]
1497171347658.jpg
545KB, 957x1097px
>>17558763
Most of the anti-nuclear people I've met are american, yet americans where the first to control radioactivity

makes no fucking sense
>>
>>17558767
thats because most facilities use solid nuclear fule, which is incredibly difficult to control
>>
>>17558773
Yeah it is. My bad. I saved that for shitting on natural gas.
>>
>>17558780
Well it got a bad rap from news coverage whenever something did go wrong, so it was probably that. At the risk of sounding tin foil hat I'd say there was also probably some lobbing against it, but I won't go into that.

But that's probably why a good deal of americans are anti nuclear energy, most of the complaints I hear from them is 'muh Chernobyl and muh Fukashima' and whenever you refute them they just keep repeating that and thinking of the children nonsense. Thankfully allot of people are coming around to it now.
>>
>>17547738
I don't like them. Tesla was a cool concept that was quickly shrouded in bullshit and faggotry.

>We made an efficient electric engine that is practical enough to actually use
Cool, that's really exciting
>We put an ipad in the dashboard in leu of everything that belongs there
...ok. I guess that isn't so stupid as to make it undrivable
>We update the firmware in your car remotely, without your permission, and without notice
wut
>If you so much as think about touching the firmware we installed without your permission, we're gonna brick your car
Fuck you.

And the sad thing is, they just keep making these kind of decisions.
>>
Also sorry for the ton of pictures. Basically what I'm trying to say is while there are few in contrast to how many plants exist...when shit goes wrong..it tend to be pretty intense. Why are so many euros in here shitting on how good nuclear is? Don't you guys have some of these most expansive green energy programs anyways?
>>
>>17558761
-t. Greenpeace

>>17558774
>Cyka blyat Dimitri the manual says don't run the reactor at low power
>Fug u go lower :DDD
>Idi nahui Dimitri it's poisoning itself so we need to pull out more control rods to keep the reaction going isn't this a bit dangerous?
>DO IT ANYWAYS XAXAXAXAXAXA
>Turns out that the sensors in the reactor are dogshit and are blind in certain areas
>Steam pockets begin to form, causing the reaction to speed up, causing more steam to form, causing the reaction to speed up because lmao Russian design
>BLIN DIMITRI REACTOR IS SUDDENLY INCREASING IN POWER AND ALL THE CONTROL RODS ARE WITHDRAWN
>Just drop them all in what could go wrong
>Control rods actually increase the rate of the reaction when they're dropped in due to aforementioned Russian design
>6 degrees of station bacon
>No containment
>Runaway reactor
>Reactor is toast
>"Containment" is made out of corrugated sheet metal because the reactor is so cheap that a proper containment makes it a third more expensive
>Whad's going on down there :DDD -t. Kremlin
>Nothing just a small fire the reactor is fine please continue normally -t. Dimitri
>Maybe if I pretend it didn't happen the problem will solve itself
>Send a bunch of the guys in the control room to check out the reactor room (crater), send new ones whenever somebody says it's toast
>They all die
>Cyka blyat
Russians not even once
>>
>>17558798
"Some" lobbying.
>>
>>17547738
Good commuter, but terrible car.
>>
>>17558820
Good point.
>>
>>17547785
>fast car that handles great
>gets beat by a basic gt mustang with a live rear axle

Dumbass
>>
>>17558840
Don't forget:
>Goes into limp mode faster than a corvette if you drive hard
I like electric anything but Tesla seems to be going overboard with trying to make everybody who's not a trendy city dwelling hipster hate electric cars.
>>
>>17558815
It was a bit different.
When the "lead engineer" that was actually not really an engineer but a party loyalist dumbfuck got scared and allowed to lower the control rods. Reactor was so hot, it expanded and rods could not be inserted.
At that point nothing could be done. There was even no alarm because they turned all the safety off because thats what the guy in charge wanted. They needed to manually turn the alarm on. But at that point reactor was already melting through floor.

If this was not operated by people scared shitless of their boss. And the boss knew what he was doing nothing would happen, soviet design or not. There were hundred reactor like that working without problem since mid 50s.
Fucing reactor 3 was working untill 2000 producing electricity without a hitch very next building.

This stupid fuck is the whole reason behind that irrational scare
>>
>>17558872
From what I've read, the rods were able to be inserted a few feet, but the first few inches didn't have a moderator in them, so the water they displaced wasn't offset by any moderator, causing the reaction to increase. They stopped once the first fuel channel ruptured a few seconds after they were inserted. I won't dispute that the moron in charge that night isn't mostly responsible, but some blame lies with the design of the reactor itself, and the corners cut to keep costs down.
>>
The thing I don't like about electric is that it's silent. Not even just from a VROOM VROOM internal combustion fanboy perspective but safety as well. Sound can not be underestimated for awareness of your surroundings, and I think people are really downplaying the effect of just how much more dangerous it would be to have roads filled with completely silent cars.
>>
>>17558905
This problem has already been overcome by the prius years ago. Believe it or not, it's not exactly the most advanced, expensive, or complicated workaround. the cars emit tones through a speaker at lower speeds for pedestrian safety.

I would rather have some neutral audible tones over the fucking revving of some douche bag trying to redline his fucking fart can ricer. Electric cars can't take over soon enough.
>>
File: Rimac Concep One Production car.jpg (851KB, 1170x777px) Image search: [Google]
Rimac Concep One Production car.jpg
851KB, 1170x777px
I came here to fuck Tesla
>>
>>17558799
>We update the firmware in your car remotely, without your permission, and without notice
Wrong on both counts. A notification comes up when a new firmware is available and the owner chooses when to install it.

>If you so much as think about touching the firmware we installed without your permission, we're gonna brick your car
Has never happened and customers can opt out of having their car wireless connected.

What is is about Tesla and both sides just spewing out random shit they made up in their head? Is it that difficult to educate yourself on what you choose to share your opinion on?
>>
I would love a Leaf for city driving.
A Tesla is too big for European cities, and not fun enough for European countryside.
In a huge fuckoff American city i could see the appeal.
But its still just a giant RC car.
Thread posts: 294
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.