[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replacing a Clutch

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_0782.jpg (984KB, 1242x1656px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0782.jpg
984KB, 1242x1656px
>bought a Honda rebel on Craigslist for $1700
>worked great for awhile
>driving to the beach and the clutch blows out on the highway
>get it to a mechanic
>apparently the bike is a 2007 model, not a 2010 which was on the paperwork
>the clutch was tightened and the guy who sold it to me probably knew it was gonna go out soon
>give me an estimate of $1400(!!!) to fix it
>say fuck it and order parts online
>just got the replacement clutch plus all the tools needed to change it

I plan on selling this piece of shit once I fix it and buying a new bike

Any advice on replacing a clutch? And good tutorial videos for a honda rebel?

Do I need to soak the new plates in oil before I put them in?
>>
>>17534717
>Any advice on replacing a clutch?
Loosen the bolts around the basket little by little in a star pattern otherwise you risk snapping them or fucking the threads up when there's only 1 or 2 bolts left.
>Do I need to soak the new plates in oil before I put them in?
Only the fiber plates, not the metals, and even then you can get away with skipping that step.
>>
File: DSC_0003.jpg (1MB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0003.jpg
1MB, 3104x1746px
>>
File: DSC_0004.jpg (1MB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0004.jpg
1MB, 3104x1746px
Two
>>
File: DSC_0005.jpg (922KB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0005.jpg
922KB, 3104x1746px
>>
File: DSC_0006.jpg (1020KB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0006.jpg
1020KB, 3104x1746px
Four
(I'm off work, have time on hand today)
>>
File: DSC_0007.jpg (1011KB, 3104x1746px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0007.jpg
1011KB, 3104x1746px
Do you need more? I actually photographed the whole chapter, but the cooldown is a pain.
>>
>>17534717
>apparently the bike is a 2007 model, not a 2010 which was on the paperwork
what like it says 2010 on the title? either way its more than likely on the vin plate on the frame so you fucked up but thats still grounds for a fraud lawsuit
>>
>>17535494
On the title it said (says) 2010 but on the frame it says 2007

It was my first bike so I didn't really know what to look for. I figured the title was accurate though.

Would it be worth a lawsuit?

Also

>tfw im too goddamn weak to get the fucking Honda oil nut thing off

IM SO FUCKING CLOSE FUCK YOU HONDA
>>
File: IMG_1356.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1356.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>17535786
A video I watched said I had to bend something out to move the thing

Anybody have any idea what that is?

How do I get this morherfucker off???
>>
File: IMG_1361.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1361.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>17535886
BUMP

I've been hacking at the little metal ring around the locknut

Whoever fucking serviced this before wanted to make sure nobody could change the god damn thing by mangling it so it's difficult to unbend (shitty system anyway)

I've managed to break the part that holds one of the springs off plus I've been ripping at this stupid ring and I've fucked it up beyond repair, but I have a whole new clutch that I can put in once I figure out how to take this fucking locknut off

Somebody please help me out
>>
>>17535426
Whoa, thanks for posting this for the benefit of random strangers. Seriously above and beyond.
>>
>>17536114
There should be a washer under the castle nut with tabs that protrude into the nut. Bend them out of the way.
>>
>>17535786
>Would it be worth a lawsuit?
uhh yeah the fucking title is forged/falsified, how do you know the milage and shit is accurate too? on an old bike like that it takes 45 seconds to swap a new speedometer with different milage and of course nothing else records it on the bike.
get a good lawyer and discuss your odds and amount to sue, then slap his ass with a summons. once you relieve him of his money, report him to the dmv and get him in trouble with the government. dont know what will happen to the bike, they may want to take it or they may not, but you dont even care about it anyway.

>>17536114
either get the socket on ebay or make it with a dremel. also is it righty tighty or lefty tighty. also check for a spider washer.
>>
>>17535886
>>17536114
why is it missing one of the towers
>>
Any idiot can do this in a couple hours. Sounds like you already have plates, you will also need a new clutch side case gasket or gasket maker.

1. Drain oil. Remove bolts form clutch cover (remember where they go!)
2. Remove the cover and remove all the gasket from both sides with razor blades (try not to ding up the metal)
3. Remove the clutch retainer bolt (you can use a belt or strap to keep the clutch basket from spinning)
4. Replace friction plates and steels in the same order you remove the old ones (best to soak friction plates beforehand in oil)
5. Torque clutch retainer nut to factory spec (99% of time torque specs don't matter but with this they usually do)
6. Put on new gasket, put on side cover, tighten bolts
>>
>>17536114
Hard to see what's going on here but maybe you need a pinion wrench to take that weird nut off?
>>
>>17536619
Looks like that's what broke on op. Didn't realize he was replacing the basket too. He'll probably want new oem thrust washers if they're used.
>>
Btw I already have the right tools to take the locknut off (I.e. The Honda oil wrench)

I just can't seem to pry that shit off though. Even by trying to bend shit out, I can't pry it loose
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.