[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QUESTIONS THAT DONT DESERVE THEIR OWN THREAD - QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 58

File: 2017-07-13 19.09.59.jpg (2MB, 4208x2368px) Image search: [Google]
2017-07-13 19.09.59.jpg
2MB, 4208x2368px
what is the legality in replacing a damaged vin plate? the vin itself is partially damaged but still readable, but its just worn badly all around from the cables rubbing all over it for 15 years. i was thinking of ordering a stamped plate with all of the original text and use some hard bake on paint or something to make it legible then rivet it back in the same place. pic related.
>>
Why do I hear that Japan > All
>>
It's illegal.

>>17530934
consistency

at first japan was consistently shit
then they were consistently okay
then they were consistently good
now they're consistently okay

buy an american brand, especially GM, and who knows? your car might actually be chinese. wil it be a performance car? no, GM says nobody can make something that competes with the corvette if their name is not ford. also the germans design their cars to fail out of warranty
>>
File: 44298-200.png (3KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
44298-200.png
3KB, 200x200px
>>17530902
What's the best hybrid out there today that isn't a Prius? I almost got the Prius C but the deal breaker is that the speedometer and whatnot are in the center of the car, not behind the steering wheel.

Work is giving me $10,000 maximum rebate to buy a hybrid. I don't have a car right now so I'm probably going to take up this offer. But on what?
>>
File: Hybrid_Vigor.jpg (36KB, 600x421px) Image search: [Google]
Hybrid_Vigor.jpg
36KB, 600x421px
>>17530959
>>
>>17530902
Dont do it.
>>
>>17530959
some "hybrid" with a V6 and a small battery with 2 min of drive charge
>>
How shit is the street racing scene in like California more specifically like LA
>>
>>17530902
Contact your state department that handles that.
>>
>five hunnid dollas
>blown head
>my buddy will fix it for co-ownership
Worth it?
>>
>>17530952
>>17530970
>>17531026
well fuck. guess ill just make a seperate plate with only the vin and put it next to it. honestly will probably never sell it anyway so it was just for my own personal tastes.
>>
>>17531043
And before somebody comments on the rust, I probably live much farther north than you, so that's expected from any used car, let alone one from the 80s.
>>
>>17531043
actual head, or head gasket
either way just do it yourself. co ownership is dumb an
>>
>>17531089
>posted before i was done
dumb and only complicates things further down the line if you plan to sell and he moves away or if you have a falling out and get into a husband and wife style legal fight over who owns it
>>
>>17531089
>>17531095
Sorry, head gasket.

I can't imagine for $500 we'd have much of a falling out. The plan is basically
>fix gasket
>the three of us destroy tires
>get new ones
>????
>tree

They're also longtime hooning buddies, if we want to sell it, I'll probably just pay one of them $250, and the other for his parts and labor at his usual rate.

I really won't be that annoyed if the car is wrecked, or I get screwed by my friends. I've spent $250 on worse. I'm more concerned whether $500 is a fair price for an '85 MR2 with a blown gasket.
>>
File: screenshot.1.png (14KB, 690x417px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.1.png
14KB, 690x417px
>>17531137
seems fine to me
>>
File: IMG_9256.jpg (63KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9256.jpg
63KB, 500x667px
>>17531163
Thanks for the input
>>
What's some good instrumental Eurobeat for driving and drifting?
>>
>>17530959
Supercharged or turboed CRZ with the 6 speed manual. Some have a button that increases acceleration for 5s, but I just read that off wikipedia this morning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbnlN2iJiJA
>>
>>17530902
The VIN is stamped into the headtube on those Hondas (actually all Jap dirtbikes and motorcycles I've come aross are this way) you don't need that plate.
>>
>>17530952
>the germans design their cars to fail out of warranty?
Are they really so bad or is this just a meme?
That makes it sound like Japan is the only place worth buying from just because the others are effectively shit.
>>
>>17531562
Not him but coming from a BMW owner, the Germans do exactly that, they have critical parts fail usually after the first two years, they know most of their customers will only lease their shit and not care about longevity, and they'll still make money off the used car buyers who think they're upgrading from joe blow shitbox, who now need parts to fix their newish Luxury car.
>>
Repostan from last thread

will having the downstream o2 sensor disconnected affect whether or not my truck goes into closed loop mode? trying to isolate which sensor is fucked up on my 98 jeep Cherokee 4.0. on a cold start it runs fine, but as soon as it gets up to temp and goes into closed loop it starts stumbling badly and bucking around and it barely holds an idle. if I disconnect the upstream o2 sensor (forcing it to run in open loop) it runs fine, however my gas mileage is abysmal. before I unleash the parts cannon I just want to know it there's a better way of narrowing it down. the trucks had exhaust work done and there's no catalytic converter so the rear o2 sensor (now disconnected) was just dangling above the muffler. should also mention that until I disconnected the upstream o2 sensor and went for a full drive cycle there was no DTC.
>>
>>17531650
Downstream O2's are typically only there to test for emissions, they have nothing to do with actual fuel trim.
>>
>>17531601
What year BMW do/did you own?
I had the thought of getting a newer BMW or something along those lines, but the idea that manufacturers go out of their way to have cars fail seems sketchy as fuck.
>>
File: stupid-questions[1].jpg (11KB, 425x237px) Image search: [Google]
stupid-questions[1].jpg
11KB, 425x237px
>>17530902
When I do a coolant flush on my 2009 Chrysler Town and Country, do I need to use any kind of chemical treatment? Browsing the internet, I'm finding claims that it's not necessary or even harmful in modern vehicles and I should just use water, or that it's still necessary in modern vehicles.

An anon told me
>Unless you have known rust or scale in your coolant (IE your coolant is brown not green) then no you should need to use any treatment
and my coolant is kind of orange-ish.
>>
File: 1kr-fe camshafts.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1kr-fe camshafts.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
I have a 1KR-FE with forged internals, the redline is 6400rpm stock, the stroke is 84mm and average piston speed therefore 18m/s.
I want some more power and rpm, I can get a head for 60€ and port it myself, I can build a new set of intake-runners myself.
Are like 100hp and 8000rpm possible?
What else do I need to change and where could I get better camshafts and a aftermarket ECU?
How is the legal situation?
>>
>>17531722

Are you the retard who thought his mom's minivan was a race car and kept shifting it from Drive to Neutral at speed?

Do humanity a favor and drink that coolant you drain out of the van
>>
>>17531705
I have an 03 540i and a 88 325i, even from the early 00's models there's shit you see on them you know they could just as easily have remedied by using quality OEM from the the get go instead of cheaping out on whats supposed to be a luxury car; namely the cooling systems on these cars are horrible, I went through two Oem Behr radiators in the first 6 months of owning the car, before putting money down on a full aluminum Zionsville aftermarket.

They're designed well and could be bullet proof cars but its obvious what they were intending with the shit quality on key parts. The Up side is that if you do your own labor, the parts are not that much more expensive than a similar era US or Jap car, but if you can't work on them then you'll be forced to pay out the ass.
>>
>>17531745
There's more to redline than piston speed.
Valvetrain will be limiting.
Nobody makes cams for the 1KR.
If you were willing to do a hack job, you could regrind the base circle for more lift and duration. Any machine shop that does cams should be able to do it.
Then it's just a matter of a re-shim and better springs.
8000 RPM is well within the believable range. for 84mm stroke.
Have someone make you adjustable cam gears becuase you're gonna have to change the LSA when you do the regrind... That, and either lock out the VVT or recheck P-V at full advance.
>>
>>17531759
It's my own minivan and it self-identifies as a race car, but yes, I am the retard.
>>
>>17531774
>There's more to redline than piston speed.
>Valvetrain will be limiting.
Since it has a non selfadjusting bucket type DOHC valvetrain, harder springs should eliminate valve float.
>Nobody makes cams for the 1KR.
Thank you.
>If you were willing to do a hack job, you could regrind the base circle for more lift and duration. Any machine shop that does cams should be able to do it.
I can´t adjust the valve clearance enough to regrind the camshafts, I need more material on the cams.
>Then it's just a matter of a re-shim and better springs.
There are no shims in this engine.
>8000 RPM is well within the believable range. for 84mm stroke.
The F20C has the same stroke and does 9200rpm, but it also has MoS2 coated pistons.
>Have someone make you adjustable cam gears becuase you're gonna have to change the LSA when you do the regrind... That, and either lock out the VVT or recheck P-V at full advance.
That could get complicated in a engine that small, but I know how I could get them.
>>
>>17531745
The questions you're asking far surpass the general knowledge of /o/.
Half of them have never read the words 'flow' and 'bench' in the same sentence. The other half, such as myself, have never seen one.
>>
>>17531832
I know that this engine is quite choked due to its long stroke, but a bit more power should be possible.
Sadly I am not able to measure most of this stuff with such professional tools.

I am just a engineering student that wants more power in his shitbox toyota.
>>
File: head_in_paint.png (12KB, 927x609px) Image search: [Google]
head_in_paint.png
12KB, 927x609px
>>17531849
Maybe I could 3-D print one cylinder of the head, put a centrifugal air pump behind it, regulate the air pressure manualy and measure the flow with a air flow meter from another car/bike.

That would give me prototyping capabilities and a crude flow bench.
It would be pretty crude, but should work for testing purpose.
pic related
>>
I have a scangauge hooked up to my truck and it always shows 'not ready' in scan mode. It's always passed emissions but I'm concerned it won't this year. Could the gauge itself be causing that? Where should I start looking? It occasionally throws a fuel level discrepancy code, which makes sense because the fuel gauge doesn't work and sometimes I get a random misfire code. I have parts I hope will fix that, though if it is misfiring I don't notice it.

It's a 97 so they test with OBD-II rather than exhaust probe.
>>
Can someone help me with a VIN check?
>>
can I do a head swap and camshaft change with the engine still assembled and in the car?
>>
Should I replace, str8 pipe, or hollow out my currently fuckered catalytic converter?
No communist emission testing where I live
>>
>>17533589
Don't half ass. Cut it out completely
>>
>>17533515
Depends on the engine and car. Probably yes
>>
Whats a fair interest rate when financing a car for a person with great credit?

My credit is excellent, like 8 hundred somthing, and i want to make sure im not getting screwed on the interest rate.
>>
What consists of basic maintance for keeping your car in top shape for a very long time? Whats needed and when? Whats not needed?
>>
How can you tell if the odometer has been fucked with? I see older model used cars for sale with suspiciously low miles...
>>
Whats with some engine bays completely covered in plastic? Everything exept the engine has a plastic covering.

Why do this? Do you people like this?
>>
File: literally_why.jpg (154KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
literally_why.jpg
154KB, 800x600px
>>17533850
less than 6% is pretty baller

>>17533876
read the owners manual
>lists of what to change
>and when
short list: filters, fluids and wear/consumable items like spark plugs
>when?
varies with actual usage (dusty areas need more filter changes, etc.) but anywhere from 15-60k miles

>>17533909
get a VIN check
protip: get a month pass and run our VINs too

>>17533927

to protect normies from evil engine hydrocarbon cancers
and help increase catastrophic failures
since you can't just look at the damn engine
>everything except the engine
>he's never seen an high performance engine cover
>>
>>17533876
oil every 5000 miles
belts every 60,000-100,000 (depending on belt setup, more bends in the belt-pulley system = more often
Wheel bearings about the same interval
Coolant change every 3 years depending on climate.

don't crash
>>
File: miata.jpg (141KB, 1024x679px) Image search: [Google]
miata.jpg
141KB, 1024x679px
>>17530902
I feel like i'm going crazy
I got my shock absorbers replaced a year and half ago, the car drove like a dream, and now it drives handles uneven pavement alot harder, and i took it into a shop today to get an opinion and or replace them and the guy tells me their new, they just need to be broken in before so it's not so rough

I've been driving the car for about half a year like this, and the guy tells me their going to get worn out

I have no idea what this mechanic is doing he isn't trying to upsell me on new shocks or anything. shock absorbers can't switch between from handling rough roads soft to hard and then soft again right?
>>
I've read diablo products are overrated/overpriced. Is that true? I'm trying to figure out what tune I should get.
>>
>>17533927
couple things:
some of those are part of the air intake and filtration system in which case they are designed to direct clean air close to the engine

Some of them are there for under-hood temp control, some are there simply to prevent the owner from fucking with things (very important when selling to older people who are used to cracking the hood and adjusting carbs or such), others are there to identify the engine since everyone's stopped making flashy cam covers with marketing buzzwords stamped into them
>>
>>17534085
>shock absorbers can't switch between from handling rough roads soft to hard and then soft again
yes they totally can.
you can have a different damping rate for normal body roll and road undulations while the shock resists more if the force exerted upon it is harder. This is common with performance suspension.
>>
File: Mazda_2_front_20080820.jpg (428KB, 1752x1281px) Image search: [Google]
Mazda_2_front_20080820.jpg
428KB, 1752x1281px
I've got a Mazda 2 DY (2003-2007) and a motor that regulates the height of front light (0-1-2-3 step) broke. It's a bitch to find that part for this model, so I'm wondering, would a motor from another model be compatible?
>>
>>17534085
Is it supposed to look like shit?
>>
>>17534309
take measurements
>>
Love these threads.

So I have a 1990 na shitbox that I love to bits but it's slower than a brisk walk because of that 1.6. Not that the 1.8 is much better but at least the 1.8 makes 3 figures to the wheels.

I want to turbocharge the car but I hear the 1.6 has shotty rods and can't do boost much higher than 8psi. I'm trying for at least 250 wheel so if probably need about 13psi to hit that.

My question is how much more boost can the 1.8 liter take? And also does the 1.8 use the same engine mount, ecu, coolant lines, vac lines etc.

Will a 1.8 simply bolt right into the same spot the 1.6 did? theyre the same block I believe
>>
>>17534389
also very interested to hear the answer to this
>>
How trustworthy is Auto Check for verifying VIN info?
>>
Why the fuck does my clutch feel so grainy.
>>
>>17534389
>1990 na shitbox
10/10 description nigger
>>
>>17534483
and it just occurred to me you meant na miata not n/a engine

still, be less cryptic nigger
>>
>>17530952
>GM says nobody can make something that competes with the corvette if their name is not ford

That's actually stopped now. The ZL1 has the same 650hp rating as the Z06.
>>
>>17534389
To go from double digits to 250 is gonna take a lot more than just a turbo. I mean, it can be done, but you'd be looking at new internals and heads. you'd be better to try for a K-swap and go from there. Poop with a bit of fancy dressing is still poop. If you want 250 at the wheels, you'll need around 300 to the crank, that's a lot of power for a simple b18 engine, it simply wasn't designed to have that much power outside of professional tuners who literally rebuild the entire engine.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/ed-ef-swaps-35/b18-into-1990-hatchback-13355/
I just guessed at what shitbox you have, and this link should give you an idea of what you might need to do a different engine swap into a much older car like yours.

>>17534445
I've heard that autocheck and carfax are good, but look at different things. You can always look up a VIN decoder on google.

>>17534471
Sounds like maybe your master or slave cylinder has rust built up on the inside and that's the grain you feel when you clutch in and out as the piston moves against the rust.
>>
>>17534389
>>17534502
here
I found this:
https://kmiata.com/products/ultimate-k24-miata-swap-conversion-package
>>
Can you mod/tune an automatic daily for more hp and torque?

Is it better to just buy the bigger engine? Or mod/tune the smaller one?

Im not looking for crazy speed and hp like a race car... Just somwhere around 300 hp/torque will do.

What are the "simpler" mods/tunes to achieve this?
>>
>>17534502
Several companies make turbo kits that claim 250 wheel. Obviously is need injectors and am that. Are you sure it'll need new heads? I know a guy with a miata like mine and it's making 220 wheel with just injectors a turbo and a tune. That was on 10 psi he said
>>
>>17534532
That depends on a lot of things my dude. You 'll need to be more specific about what car you have and your budget
>>
>>17534538
And how long do you think that's going to last? And "well he's been running it like that for over 2 years". 2 years doesnt count when stock cars "should" last 20+ specifically japanese cars. Look up open deck, semi closed, and closed deck blocks and you tell me which one you think will last the longest with high boost, then go look up what yours looks like. I'm not trying to shit on you, I'm just saying, if you're going to do it, do it right. Budget builds are not real builds.
>>
>>17534560
Nigga I ain't tryna spend 6000$ on a swap. If I blow up the engine in 2 years who cares it's a 500$ engine. Just bolt the shit into a new engine stick it in and good to go.
>>
>>17530902
Just leave it, why would you want to replace it anyway?
>>
>>17534532
>>17534544
Well im asking because im in the market for a used car. I was thinking maybe mod/tune a civic 8th gen or newer Because 150 hp is garbage. Is mod/tune an automatic car in general a thing?

Also does modding a vq 3.7 auto sound like a good idea?
>>
>>17534647
If you're trying to mod get a Honda with a k series motor in it. You can push 250 fro! Those super easy. They're not expensive to buy eithsr .

Just beware of that worst wheel drive shit that Honda has. I'll never drive a Honda because they're all fwd junk
>>
>>17534647
most people dont modify automatics because the manufacturer designed the tranny to deal with X amount of power and anymore could cause excessive slippage, overheat and burn out the clutches. bumping up the power might be ok though if you invested into a good aftermarket transcooler. You'd have a lot more options with a standard transmission car.
>>
>>17534674
Did the manufacturer not do the same with manuels? Design the transmission to handle x amount of power? More power = slippage.
>>
>>17534670
Whats wrong with front wheel drive? No drifting? Who cares. Torque steer? Not soo much in newer moddels nowdays. Unddrsteer? Retards understeer.
>>
Why does my car feel so slow, not in normal driving but getting on it doesn't feel like it has that same punch it use to. Like 2nd gear use to feel like a warp drive but now it just feels okay. I mean it is a slow 2900lbs 155hp shitbox but still, maybe i just got use to driving it. Been about a year since i got it. I don't know if it is placebo or not.
>>
can you get a dui on a 49cc scooter?
>>
>>17534916
Bad cat? Exhaust issues?
>>
>>17534925
You can get one on a lawnmower. But what about a large powerwheels?
>>
>>17534938
fucking gay. asking for a friend btw.
>>
>>17534933

How would i go about telling for either? I mean sometimes when i start it up i smell a bit of exhaust but it is also usually around other cars/in tighter spaces so it might just be exhaust coming back to me.
>>
>>17534895
Front wheel drive is bad because it means you can actually drive in the snow without AWD or 4WD.
>>
>>17534933
>Bad cat?
>>
File: 1498851009171.gif (1MB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
1498851009171.gif
1MB, 500x279px
1) I once was told by a mechanic coworker that he witnessed a high end car that when parked lowered itself so that the body was resting on the concrete, for safety reasons (I think, it was years ago so I may be off). Is that a thing?

2) Does anyone have the greentext story of an /o/ browser who beat a chad with a Mustang in a race while blasting eurobeat?
>>
>>17534309
Find a parts diagram and part number for that model and see if you can find a cross reference guide, odds are yes they used it on another car.
>>
>>17534878
You can replace the clutch, relatively easily, rebuilding an automatic to take more power is a bit more difficult.
>>
File: IMG_7944.jpg (367KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7944.jpg
367KB, 720x1280px
What do I do to this thing to make it more aesthetic? 03 CRV
>>
>>17535024
>1) I once was told by a mechanic coworker that he witnessed a high end car that when parked lowered itself so that the body was resting on the concrete, for safety reasons (I think, it was years ago so I may be off). Is that a thing?

Air suspension on some cars can do this, but its not for safety reasons and its doesn't add to the performance of a car, often it subtracts from handling ability.
>>
File: 000007N4.jpg (111KB, 1036x1398px) Image search: [Google]
000007N4.jpg
111KB, 1036x1398px
Is is possible to replace metal aux heater lines with rubber lines? The lines on my 94 Caravan have rusted and are starting to leak coolant and I cannot find metal replacements anywhere.
>>
>>17535114
racing stripes
>>
>>17534967
Get a scanner and see if it brings any codes. Im not real car savy but a few years ago it seemed like my car lost a little power and the dealership said i needed a new cat. Apparently they can burn up or somthing and cause issues with air flow.
>>
>>17534977
Ahh yes. Driving well in the snow. Fuck that noise.
>>
>>17534981
Lol their smart and sneaky as fuck. Could be messing with anons car. If confronted, will blame the dog.
>>
>>17535106
Ahh. Well round about how much more hp could a factory transmission safely withstand before tearin up?
>>
>>17535146
I mean, buy like 30+ feet of heater core hoses and make your own shit, provided you can find the proper size.
>>
>>17535114
Bigger wheels black rims and maybe raise it a tad and bring the wheels out a bit. The color is awful but the black rims can make it work.
>>
>>17535271
Also black out the tail lights.>>17535114
>>
File: post-7867-14150798880555.jpg (622KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
post-7867-14150798880555.jpg
622KB, 1280x960px
>>17530902
So, when new, did the 1980s 280zx have a soft, foam like/padded dashboard?
It was way before my time and I've never seen it new or in better condition.
I'm working on fixing up our old 280zx and the dashboard is completely stiff and solid, from the cracks, it looks like it was made from a porous material. The porous material can be seen in the pic, luckily my dash isn't as bad as that one.
Could it be repaired with something like filler or putty? I read that someone repaired theirs with Great Stuff spray foam, but that stuff feels really brittle when dry and I don't know how it'll hold up.
I'd replace the dash, but no one makes reproductions and, living in Texas, most of the parts cars have been sitting out in the sun and are in no better condition.
>>
File: 2002-honda-s2000-precision-turbo.jpg (242KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2002-honda-s2000-precision-turbo.jpg
242KB, 1600x1200px
Turbocharged vehicle:

>going downhill
>downshift to engine brake (as well as normal braking ofc.)
>revs go up to the point where normally turbo builds boost when driving/accelerating

Does the engine compressing air build boost in the turbocharger in any way? As in, is the turbocharger engaged now?
Meaning if I were to step on the gas (which downhill I wouldnt normally do, but for the sake of argument), would the turbo be spooled to provide boost relative to rpm?
>>
I fucked my parking cable with a rock yesterday and now it's stuck pulling the brake. How hard is to diy fix this? My car is a 2013 Focus SE Sedan with rear drum brakes.

Thanks in advance.
>>
Who does the mid-range luxury sports car better, Japan or Germany?
>>
are free VIN check websites just as good as paid or are they full of shit?
>>
>>17535728
What mid range luxury sports cars does japan ecen build?
>>
I want to order $20 multimeter off amazon so I can learn to diagnose electrical problems. Does it matter at all which one I buy? Any recommendations?
>>
>>17535358
I've heard of case where they've been repaired with a vinyl covering, theres also companies that make dash caps that go over the dash.
>>
>>17535281
Don't do this, its white trash and nigger tier shit.
>>
>>17535146
>have coolant transported all over the car for no good reason making leaks that much fucking worse.
>Could've just used a hvac ventilation like pretty much everyone else does.

Seriously Wtf Chrysler?

>>17535239
Depends on the engine and it depends on the transmission.
>>
File: IMG_20170630_115340723[1].jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170630_115340723[1].jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
Can someone tell me what the fuck this thing is...I thought it was a golf cart til I got closer
>>
>>17535852
Look at the recent amazon reviews for the best rated ones
>>
>>17536115
We have a dash cap thing, the amount of direct sunlight it had made it warp badly and become brittle over about a decade, so I'm wanting to restore the original and throw a carpet cover on top for protection.
And because the cracks create large gaps, wouldn't the vinyl eventually start to conform to those gaps of you just cover it?
>>
>>17536138
its common on large vehicles to have rear vents that operate independently, either for heating or cooling purposes.

Fucking rear a/c lines are double retarded.
>>
>>17536314
Yes its common but to have entire coolant lines run to the rear of the vehicle for any reason other than having the engine in the back is not all that common.
>>
>>17536120
Disagree. White trash and niggers just slap on 20 in chrome rims, and add a subwoofer and think its a sound system. Blacked out taillights are a social tier above that. Idk what id call it though.
>>
https://youtu.be/mjr5uHavj7w?t=5m
What's the part called that he points to at? 5:00
BMW 2003 e39 530i
>>
File: 1489352297365.jpg (926KB, 1024x682px) Image search: [Google]
1489352297365.jpg
926KB, 1024x682px
Just gave my 1990 Buick another scratch because I'm a fucking retard and have a shitty parking space.

I'm thinking of having it repainted because the last bodyshop that repainted it after an accident did such a fucking shit job that a lot of the paint has been chipping away for years and it's really heart breaking to me, since it's a nice car. Frankly though, I don't think it's worth it and I'm wondering if I can at least touch up this scratch. It's pretty wide. (I'll post pics in the morning)

Frankly, it's a trooper and I really like this little car. (Only has about 112k miles on it which is pretty nice)
>>
How do i know if my engine is healthy? Like, what do i look for. So far for the 18k~kms (car has 208k~ on it) i have had it for, i have done 3 oil changes, doesn't seem to burn any oil or leak. The power seems okay, not much downlow but it is a shitbox. Fuel economy is fine and about .8l/100km off from the average. Only thing is i feel like it sounds a bit off at idle but i am not sure what a healthy engine is suppose to sound like honestly. It is a consistent sound all around at idle, not very loud at all when standing outside listening. Can hear it a bit when inside the car but not very much, the road noise from the tires are much louder.

It has a constant little hum and tick, scared that it is lifter tick but a lot of places i read say with most fuel injected engines it is just the injectors opening and closing. It's not loud like in most of the videos i have watched for lifter tick or at least not as loud.
>>
How smooth should your manual transmission feel? Like butter or just decently smooth, maybe notchy?
>>
What do you guys think of sprint boosters? specifically this one

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-391871-sprint-booster-v3-drive-by-wire-enhancement-module-for-2001-bmw/?pdk=AwYGAw

Are they worth it?

>>17537827
Pretty sure it's fine man. Any strange sounds when you take a hard corner? How about when you floor it? If not then don't worry
>>
>>17531601
>will only lease their shit and not care about longevity
This pains the BMW fans.
>>
>>17537440
That's really a preference question. A whole paint job that is nice is probably going to be more than the car is worth. A touch up is going to be expensive but cheaper than a whole respray. If you love the car I'd say go for it.
>>
>>17531601
This is why Lexus is there.
>>
File: 3E.jpg (361KB, 1224x1006px) Image search: [Google]
3E.jpg
361KB, 1224x1006px
>>17530902
I landed a job which asked me 2 pick one from these 3 options.

Corolla, Elantra and a Mazda 3

I sure as hell don't want a Corolla. I've heard the new Elantra is much much improved over the previous years and feels good to drive. I also love the Mazda 3.

So Elantra or Mazda 3?

I'm getting the mid-level trim on either of the cars.
>>
>>17537886
Yeah daimler and bmw both do it now, of course it's painful but that's how the world is, it's fucking shit

Things are cool only long enough for you to fall in love with them then everything gets shittier and shittier till you're on your death bed, rinse and repeat with offspring ad infinitum
>>
>>17534925
kys
>>
>>17537898
Is it just Lexus or the Japanese in general?
>>
So I ordered new brake pads for my car from e store by entering car. Got the front ones in nicely but rear ones have a different shape on the frame, original ones have these U notches that slide onto the brake but the new ones look more like a chamfer, like /
Will they still fit or are they the wrong pad?
>>
>>17530902
What are some good online parts stores?
>>
Are mazda 3 1.6 diesel 2007 good for a first car? I could go for an e46 or alfa 159 but I dont want to risk it since I heard parts and shiit cost more. Guess I want to play it safe for now.
>>
I want a dd car and love the idea of the camry because

>sedan
>relatively nice looking
>Toyota
>v6
>weirdly reliable
>muh mpgs

The only issue is, I want a 5 speed, are there any cars that fit those criteria, but in manual?
>>
File: DSC_0108.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0108.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Can I replace my old airbox with something less restrictive and bulky? I think it rattles and it's a sin to look at.

I don't want to put a modern cone filter or any eBay shifty filter, I want something as the stock just a little less old and cumbersome.
>>
>>17538457
Older Honda Accords came with v6 and manual as well as older mazda 6's
>>
>>17538368
Depends on what you drive, i order my bmw parts from places like bavauto and ECS tuning, for my F150 it's usually from summit since I can get my shit almost overnight for basic ground shipping because they're only 6 hours away.
>>
>>17538344
We need pictures of the pads you bought and the old ones, your description isn't entirely clear. Year make and model too.
>>
>>17538001
Just lexus, Infiniti is trash like Nissan and Acura are Honda's with different sheet metal
>>
>>17537920
Mazda 3
I really don't think you want a Hyundai man.
>>
>>17537236
The plastic inner fender or the plastic guide the bumper slides onto? Have you ever used realoem?
>>
>>17537843
Depends on the car. No all manuals new feel the same, truck transmissions, your average shitbox, and performance cars are going to feel different.
>>
File: brek paddd.png (429KB, 1032x481px) Image search: [Google]
brek paddd.png
429KB, 1032x481px
>>17538596
"new" is the ones I got sent in mail
"old is the ones that were on the car.
In red I drew how the mounting system works
kouki MR2 spyder
>>
File: Screenshot_20170715-060612.png (534KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170715-060612.png
534KB, 1080x1920px
>>17535852
Recommend this one. Had it for 4 years before the display started losing segments but it was accurate and reliable until then and only $22 from a legitimate company. Only downside is it's not auto ranging but working exclusively on cars you really won't need it but the mn36 is auto ranging for $37.
>>
>>17531043
I'd consider it. It depends on how much labor you two want to put into it. Though worst case scenario, and this adds labor of course, is when it finally rusts too badly to drive, you can part it out and make a little money. That little shade over the rear window alone is like $150 for some reason.
>>
im hopefully inheriting a fiat 500 (some 50 year old one), its been in the garage for like 40 years covered in a rag, how much would it be worth? im not going to sell it i just want to know how much it would cost
>>
>>17538593
Chrysler Town & Country
>>
File: 20170715_104324.jpg (650KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170715_104324.jpg
650KB, 2048x1152px
What is the best way to hold this phone in this position in this car without making it difficult to remove said phone or interfering with the compass sensor or using my hand to hold it?
>>
>>17539338
One of those suction cup things that sits on the back of your phone to make it stand up. Assist it with poster tack if it's sliding on turns.
>>
Tell me of a car that combines the best of executive and sport class. Something elegant, luxurious and classy, but that also is very potent and curvy.
>>
File: Flywheel.jpg (27KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
Flywheel.jpg
27KB, 500x350px
>>17530902
Can I start my engine with the transmission unmounted? It has the new flywheel bolted on and I just want to make sure it is balanced right(has a weight on one side of it). Starter is attached and all. I can't imagine this damaging anything but feel the need to ask.
>>
>>17539873
VAZ-2101
>>
If this is my first car and I know nothing about cars, should I even bother trying to buy private instead of a dealer? With the former they don't post the VIN or anything.
To be honest I've been looking through stuff a while and it's pretty hard to find something that doesn''t seem fucked in some way.
I just want a used car under 5-4k that won't give me any trouble.
>>
File: IMG_20170522_134448.jpg (555KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170522_134448.jpg
555KB, 2048x1536px
>>17538457
gen2 2vz-fe V6 camrys are a huge bitch to work on
the engine is shoehorned into the bay
only easy stuff to work on is over transaxle
like starter and dizzy
have to pull intake plenum to replace spark plugs
rear valve gasket likes to leak since engine is raked towards the firewall
it leaks straight onto the exhaust mani
and the last few years ('90, '91)
manuals were extremely rare
>LE had V6 package which was almost always included with autotragic

>all this hassle for 150hp
i highly recommend a third gen
t. pic related
>>
what ever happened to the VIN checking thread?
>>
File: 1483797246831.jpg (28KB, 655x434px) Image search: [Google]
1483797246831.jpg
28KB, 655x434px
>>17540083
step 1) find a trusted mechanic
>this is somewhat hard and counterintuitive, but pre inspection checks help build trust
>if everything always needs replacing he's not a trusted
step 2) have vehicle inspected BEFORE purchase
>if they're not selling a scam they will have no problem with this
step 3) if good scoop it, if needs work use as leverage for cheaper price
step 4) ????????
step 5) profit!
>>
File: _get_them_moldar.jpg (852KB, 1414x1476px) Image search: [Google]
_get_them_moldar.jpg
852KB, 1414x1476px
>>17540174
vinbro ded
the internet police got him
and now he in GITMO
same with mightybenz
he was replaced by CIA sleeper
he got killed by a norse whitefish
that's why he has a yota now
TRUST NO ONE
>>
>>17540197
;_;7 RIP VIN BRO
THE FBI WILL RESCUE YOU
>>
I'm trying to find a car that's AWD, coup or '3 door', 80s body styling (something like a supra or the original quattro, maybe a fastback). Make and engine aren't a huge deal if it's easy to swap or mod. Something that could feasibly be found used in NA. Alternatively a website with a large database that can be filtered so I can look through myself.
>>
File: big water.jpg (20KB, 471x480px) Image search: [Google]
big water.jpg
20KB, 471x480px
>>17530902
Is a used 2006 Jeep Liberty with 90,000 miles for $7000 a good deal? Are they good cars in general?
I drove one and it was pretty nice.
>>
How do I open a windows with odb2 on a Mercedes Vito 2003
>>
File: Snapchat-54433902.jpg (609KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-54433902.jpg
609KB, 1080x1920px
So i blew an axle in my aw11 and i ordered a new one but when it got here i noticed that it doesnt have a second male end and the broken axle's end is still in the transmission am i supposed to replace pic related? Did the company i ordered the cv axle not give me the whole thing?
>>
>>17539157
What's with you minivan drivers showing up here?

Summit, and Jc Whitney would be my go to for parts. eBay for anything harder to get.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (9KB, 65x59px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
9KB, 65x59px
can i afford a second shitbox?
living with my parents and going to college rn
bringing in about $1k a month with this side job
those are my three accounts
>>
>>17540236
AMC eagle
>>
>>17540576
Sure. Leave at least a grand for when it blows up though
>>
>>17540502
That part is splined inside the transaxle you may have to remove it, you have a picture of the new axle?
>>
>>17540562
>What's with you minivan drivers showing up here?
They're amazingly practical, especially with the stow and go seats. I can easily and quickly configure mine for moving cargo, moving people, or van camping with minimal effort.

>Summit, and Jc Whitney would be my go to for parts. eBay for anything harder to get.
Thanks br/o/.
>>
File: Snapchat-126468715.jpg (520KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-126468715.jpg
520KB, 1080x1920px
>>17540602
Here are both the axles
>>
>>17540585
I was actually thinking about an Eagle, even if it's the obvious answer. I was also looking at the Audi B2 Coupe even though I'm sure that would be harder to find and more expensive. Any other suggestions?
>>
File: IMG_20170622_110801.jpg (1MB, 2952x3194px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170622_110801.jpg
1MB, 2952x3194px
So I had a leaky ass valve cover gasket that leaked all over my spark plugs and ignition coils. Replaced the gasket but I think it's causing some misfiring. Besides wiping the oil out of my spark plug wells, what should I do? Can I just wipe off my spark plugs and coils or do I need to replace them? The spark plugs only have 10k miles on them
>>
>>17541282
bump pls
>>
Try dipping the bottoms of the plugs in brakes cleaner/lacquer thinner to clean them up, then try that...
>>
File: 57239da6d5caa.image.jpg (126KB, 1024x733px) Image search: [Google]
57239da6d5caa.image.jpg
126KB, 1024x733px
so my truck's front, passenger side tire randomly starts making noises every few days

>happens usually at slow speeds
>happens when I am applying gas, if I just coast, it won't happen, but the second I apply gas it makes the noise
>its a rhythmic noise. oh and it gets louder when I brake or when I turn the wheel all the way to the right
>truck brakes normally.

the noise comes and goes. the ball joints are good. as far as I can tell, the other suspension components are good.

I live in the country so I do drive through a lot of bumpy roads and potholes. Truck isn't lifted and the tyres are inflated to spec. My dad thinks is the plate behind the rotors, but I did have that problem on the left side and it sounded completely different

any ideas? thx
>>
I wanna buy this dude's car but he has no title. If I get a VIN and see it's clean, have the bill of sale written up, is there still a chance someone with the title will step up and fuck me over?

I already know I can get a duplicate title in PA (where the car is), then transfer to my state.
>>
so is there a website where i can find tutorials or guides on how to replace parts and other things in a car like ifixit?
>>
Does anyone know how tp unlock an 06 Malibu? Was working fine a while ago until the retarded thing thought it was getting stolen and locked up, with the car-lock light blinking. I tried google, but have found nothing that worked
>>
If my car has a turn signal that died extremely quick(less than 3 months use), can a relay or fuse cause be the cause?
>>
How much does it generally cost to completely replace tubes and wiring under the hood of an 86 Nissan?
>>
>>17539981
It'll be fine, it'll idle the same way as if the clutch was pushed in.
>>
>>17542602
If it's a car that's even remotely popular then there will be plenty of write ups on forums detailing how to do almost everything. Google is the best way to find them in my experience. Basically search the car + part + diy. Ex: "3rd gen integra timing belt diy"
>>
>>17540576
Don't buy another shitbox in college. I made the mistake of having a project car in college and it was terrible financially. (but tons of fun, so...)
>>
https://newyork.craigslist.org/brk/cto/d/nissan-altima/6220775103.html

What could be making this car so cheap?
It was $1000 a few hours ago too, now it's $800
>>
What's a cheap car I can drift in that isn't terrible for drifting?
>>
File: EWxyKWp.png (394KB, 539x439px) Image search: [Google]
EWxyKWp.png
394KB, 539x439px
>>17530902
what car is this

from season 3 of the sopranos
>>
Heard that my car (99 corolla) is E10 compatible. Is it worth the few extra cents savings?
>>
>>17543961
mercedes benz sl, get the v12
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (729KB, 3000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
729KB, 3000x1500px
Alright idiot question coming through but I only had my first car for 2 weeks.

Are asymmetric tyres left and right side specific?
In short, if I have OUTSIDE marking on the outside, can I put that wheel anywhere on a car?

pic related, my tyre on an alloy. It looks slightly different when I put it on left or right which confuses me.
>>
yes or no as a first car?
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Tiran%C3%AB/AUTOMJETE/Makina/Audi/A3/Audi-A3-viti--07--okazion-/4342773

since its in albanian ill give u the rundown
>2007 audi a3 2.0 tdi
>6speed manual
>180k km
>4300 euro
>>
How does a dump pipe/screamer pipe fit into a turbo setup?

As in, where does it connect and what does it do?
Does it vent gas like a bov?
Is it same as a dose pipe?
>>
>>17544784
>Audi
How much you got to spend on repairs?
>>
>>17543928
It could just have very high miles, a crappy interior, rust on the underside or in hard to see places. Maybe there's a noise being made under the hood that he'd rather not diagnose.

Just go and see it in person to find out
>>
I'm considering buying a car with an A/C delete. Would it be possible to undo that delete or is A/C just not all that important? The car is a good price, so I'd be willing to spend some money on getting an OEM system and doing it myself.
>>
>>17544761
The way you have it pictured, it looks like that wheel would stay on the right side of the car on either the back or front. Sicks Crocs btw
>>
>>17530902
I'm doing a coolant flush and I can't get to the drain plugs, so I've just been flushing with the drain cock. I've got the water down to a light grey, but the buildup in the reservoir has me thinking I should have another go with pic related in case the rest of the system is that bad. (The reservoir is currently soaking in a bucket by itself with soapy water.) Should I fill the system with distilled water and Prestone Radiator Flush + Cleaner and let it run for a week or so before flushing again?
>>
>>17545192
like 700 euro for now since my budget is 5k
and its gonna be kind of a family car since my dad doesnt have one ill just drive it my parents will pay for fuel and the repais
i know the parts cost more but if i take care of it will it need to break at all? is it unreliable?
I live in Albania and the parts may cost less here tho
>>
what is the value of horsepower?
i see a car with "180 HP" but i have no idea how that stacks up with other cars or if thats good or bad or what
>>
>>17545426
this but 0 to 60
>>
>>17545270
>Should I fill the system with distilled water and Prestone Radiator Flush + Cleaner and let it run for a week or so before flushing again?

Yes, thats typically what the instructions on most coolant flushes tell you to do.

>>17545216
A/C delete as in it came from the factory that way, or A/C delete as in the owner did it himself? If the latter, It should be possible but maybe expensive, odds are he just bypassed the compressor or took the compressor out.

>>17544111
All cars on the road save for some special snowflakes are E10 compatible, are you referring to E85 by chance?

>>17543934
Anything That has RWD, Over 200hp and is manual,

that being said, any thing in that range is going to be more expensive than your average shit box because people already know it can be used for performance reasons.

>>17543707
Any full replacement of the wiring harness in that old of a car is going to cost greater than the value of the car if you take it to a shop to get done.

>>17542347
Short story yes, theres literally no good reason the current owner should not have a title to that car.
>>
Does anyone have a recommendation for a portable jumper and compressor unit? Ideally with a light, USB port, and DC outlet

Budget is up to $200
>>
>>17540690
What does the inside end that goes on the trans axle look like?

You need to remove something either on the transaxle itself or the half shaft.

Also might need to look up a MR2 specfic forum, if you do need to pull the transaxle apart.
>>
>>17540741
325iX but they're rare as fuck, and the transmissions can't take a lot of power so what upgrades you can do are minimal.
>>
File: DSC_0044.jpg (1MB, 2160x3840px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0044.jpg
1MB, 2160x3840px
What is the best thing one can do to small holes like these when one doesn't own welding equipment?
>>
File: cant let you do that Dave.jpg (19KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
cant let you do that Dave.jpg
19KB, 400x300px
I drive a 1998 Honda Civic and there is a little red light near the mirror controls that seems to stay on even when the car is off and locked up (similar to pic related) anybody know what it's for?
>>
>>17545476
Hire someone who owns welding equipment.
>>
>>17545476
My Dad always used to use fiberglass.
>>
>>17545476
Body putty? I dunno
>>
>>17545426
Simple HP numbers don't tell you much, HP in conjunction with Torque #'s plus weight of the vehicle gives you an idea where the Vehicle makes its power, and how fast it really is.

Say you have an engine that makes 285 hp.

One make makes its peak torque of 150 at 10,000 RPM

Another makes Its peak torque of 300ftlbs at 5000 Rpm

From that we can deduce that the first engine is highs strung, and from a start would take a while to wind up. It may even be an engine with less displacement or have less cylinders due to the fact it can rev that high (less reciprocating mass)

The second engine has more torque and would take less time to get to peak power and is less high strung, maybe better for towing, and of higher displacement.
>>
>>17530959
Was gonna get a Prius myself, but they kinda expensive due to them being toyotas, I got a loaded 2010 mercury Milan/, Ford fusion hybrid instead, pretty comfy and gets similar mpgs to the Camry hybrid. If you're getting a credit I'd say consider a plug in as well. Look at Camry hybrid or the ford energi hybrids. Make sure that whatever you get has an eCVT transmission not just a belt driven cvt, and an Atkinson cycle engine, they are the best.
>>
>>17531650
Yo, check out your MAF. Had the same problem on my Land Rover, no DTC
>>
>>17535438
No, because the throttle body is closed, so not much air goes through the engine, so not much air goes out the exhaust to spool the turbo. When you open the throttle body, that's when the turbo will start building boost
>>
File: X7fAxpq.png (204KB, 455x633px) Image search: [Google]
X7fAxpq.png
204KB, 455x633px
Since Toyota turboe'd AW20 MR2's from factory, would it be stupid to slap on an aftermarket turbo on a car i'm fixing up? I don't know how well the 3gse engine would respond to forced induction and if it would break or not
>>
how do you answer a craigslist ad for something that's a) fairly priced and b) you want to buy?

how much power-level should you show?
>>
Anyone have any automotive engineering textbook PDFs around that they would be willing to link me?
Automotive Mechanics by Crouse and Anglin for example.
>>
>>17545443
Can you protect yourself in case you run the VIN, get a good check, buy the car with a notarized bill of sale, have a record from the bank for the money you financed (normally would buy in cash, I'd finance it to prove I bought it legit) and the "owner" still surfaces to "claim his car back?"

I mean it can't just be that easy to scam people like that. There must be some law that says "sorry, it's been sold and claimed."
>>
>>17535114
Nothing
>>
>>17545911
I think you'd be safe running a small turbo on low boost to test it out. However if you dont already have the engine, I say just get a 3SGTE
>>
>>17534389
Tear down your lower end, file the ends of your piston rings, set up a 200 wet shot of Nitrous, wham-bam, thank you ma'am, that's 260+ right there m8
>>
>>17535114
sell it and get a XC60 which has always been the inspiration for the CRX
>>
Should I change this:
Opel Astra J, 2010, 27k Miles, 1.6l Gas
To this:
BMW E91 320d, 2007, 80k Miles, 2.0 Turbo Diesel

Even though it could break my financial neck with repair costs and having 3 times more Miles driven?
(I'm in Germany btw)
>>
>>17542907
So, i did even more research and found that i somehow tripped the theft-lock system somehow. All i did was leave the key in the ignition in the on position (without starting the engine), and stepped out of the car for about 5 minutes. I get back in the car, and go to turn on the engine, and the car with lock light begins flashing. Also, the doors keep trying to, i think, unlock themselves. This continues until the battery fucking dies. Does anyone know a fix? Or, should i pay to suck GM's cock in hopes that they might fix the problem? Happening on a 2006 Chevrolet Malibu
>>
>>17544761
Asymmetric tires can be mounted on either side as long as you follow the "outside" markings.

If you had "direction" markings, indicating a directional tire, the tires must be mounted to rotate in the specified direction.
>>
>>17546049
If you buy something, it has no title, you go to register it, it pops up stolen.

Then you have no car, as the police will confiscate it, and you are out of whatever money you just bought it with. That is the law, the car is not rightfully yours, end of story.

Running the Vin beforehand through car fax won't automatically mean its clean either.

I know you're trying to rationalize buying some shitbox you're fawning over but, that's the facts. There is never a good reason for a car not to have a title, but hey I'm not here to stop you just giving you fair warning.
>>
>>17546743
That seriously sounds like a dealer problem have you tried finding a Malibu specific forum? What about disconnecting the battery?
>>
>>17547011
Seems legit. I forgot to expand my Craigslist search so I thought the car was the ONLY one of its kind within 200 miles, after I expanded it, there are plenty of same models with clean titles, fuck that guy lol
>>
File: car_on_2x4.jpg (116KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
car_on_2x4.jpg
116KB, 800x600px
Help me /o/.

What are some good ramps for raising the car off the ground for a simple oil change?

The way my father taught me was to just drive the car onto some 2x4's. He does not trust ramps. I feel like that gives me next to fuck-all space for working under the car, and I'm not really a car person in the first place so I just dread squeezing under there because it's uncomfortable as fuck. I realize that some maintenance requires working purely by feel, but I'd like to be able to turn my head and look up for a simple oil change.

Surely there are some good reliable ramps that are easy to use and give me more space to work? I've been accepting my father's word until now, but surely there must be something better.
>>
How feasible is a tranny replacement in an 05 Grand Marquis? I have no reverse (it just slips) and now it's starting to slip after downshifts. I can get a new A/T for 500-ish bucks, but I've never done a job that big myself. Are there specialty tools or equipment I would need?
>>
>>17536254
Some random Kei car. Looks kinda like a willy keep lol.
>>
>>17547050
I tried some forums and googling the issue, but found nothing of help. As for the battery, i disconnected it and reconnected it, but nothing really changed
>>
>>17547456
Well, it's working now. I just jump-started the thing with the other key. This is the second time i have done this, only last time i tried starting it with the original key and ended up locking the car for both keys. Guess I'll only use one key from now on, but it's better than having a 3000+ lbs paper weight
>>
Is it possible to use the control arm from a 98 volvo 960 in a 940?
>>
Does anyone make a black bug deflector for a 2014+ Mazda 3? I've tried several sites and only Auto Accessories Garage seems to have any, and then only in chrome.
>>
>>17547226
It's not that hard. Just a lot of steps involved. Get the car up off the ground, get a transmission jack, some tools, some ATF and a repair manual. Don't focus on the whole job and get overwhelmed, just take it one step at a time. Take your time and ask questions when you aren't sure of something
>>
>>17547226
you'll likely need some 12pt sockets, ford likes using them for drivelines.

Drop exhaust, drive shaft, cooler lines, trans shifter cable, trans mount, harness in the way then the tranny should free to drop out. Wait, gotta rotate the engine and unbolt the torque converter from the engine side, damn automatics.

>>17547616
get the part number from a Volvo database and see if the "new" vehicle uses the same part number.

if that doesn't work go to a Volvo specific forum, unless you REALLY luck out here.
>>
Are double clutch transmissions getting more popular than normal automatics because they don't blow their intake welds? A DCT double clutches like it should (obviously) which is much better than a normal granny shifting auto.
>>
>>17547767
No, apparently there's more fragile stuff to break than a normal automatic, so they don't last as long. Granted the tiny displacement, boosted engine they're attached to generally doesn't either.
>>
>>17547600
Your original key may need to be reprogrammed or if its a fob type, have its battery replaced.
>>
>>17547767
They're more popular becuase they can shift faster than anything else on the market at the moment.

They are more fragile and have more to go wrong than a traditional manual which they're based off of and Automatics.
>>
F150 vs silverado 1500?
>>
>>17548516
what years?
>>
>>17548520
Pretty much anything post 2012
>>
So, pretty sure one of my rotors is warped. Get a bit of shaking in the wheel when stopping at like 80km/h+. That and the front right makes a bad osculating squeaking noise until i brake. Don't know if it is a sure thing that it is the front right only that is warped or what. Anything i can do to save the rotor? Get it resurfaced? Probably cheaper to just buy a new rotor for the shitbox.
>>
File: brake pads.png (233KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
brake pads.png
233KB, 1366x768px
>>17530902
What qualities should I be looking for when buying brake pads?
>>
>>17543928
I read altimas have major transmission issues. They just break anywhere from 10k miles 100k.
>>
>>17548765
Buy them new, last thing you want falling on you, apart from that we need the name of your car.
>>
>>17548794

You can buy used brake pads and people actually do? Jesus, you can get good quality name brand ones for like 40 CAD. God knows how much in the US.
>>
>>17545952
Tell them youd like to take a look at the car then determine if its fairly priced. If all checks out still try to haggle a bit and make a fair/decent offer. If you discover some issues not that the owner didnt disclose or didnt know about then point them out respectfully and adjust your offer accordingly. If you still want it that is. But dont be afraid to throughly check it out.
>>
>>17548794
Used brake pads are a thing? I planned on buying new, I was just curious about materials and features and the difference between low-end and high-end pads.
>>
>>17540271
no unless you are a woman

>>17541971
lump in tires from hitting a pothole too hard

>>17547140
ramps a shit, get good stands and a low profile jack

>>17548760
if it's new and thiccness is within spec
you could get it resurfaced
but this isn't guaranteed to work
and it costs as much as a cheap new rotor
>replace rotors as a set for best result
>>
I read that if you open the engine oil cap and look at the oil or somthing that you can determine some car problems just by looking...? (Not talking about needi g a oil change) Can someone elaborate on this? What am i looking for and what does it suggest..?
>>
>>17548899
There's not much you'll find by doing that. If you pull out the dipstick and the oil has bits of metal or is foamy, there's a problem. You can check if your transmission fluid is burnt
>>
Is this a good idea...?

Ok so lets say your going to buy a used car and want a mechanic to check it out first. Instead of going to a shop and paying a fee (how much anyways?) you instead take it to a another dealership and pretend your thinking about tradeing it in and want to know what theyll offer.

They will check it out (for free) and tell you any problems they found to justify their offer... Right? Is this a good idea? Seems legit.

Thoughts?
>>
How to rotate tires properly? Do you put the fronts in the back and backs in the front? Do you toss out the fronts, replace them with the backs and buy new backs? Or vice versa? Or what? I know im over thinking this but its confuseing.
>>
>>17548913
Whats does metal bits suggest?

What does foamy suggest?
>>
>>17548945
Switch the front and back. What I do is jack up one side, switch the tires, and do the other side
>>17548952
Metal bits suggest your engine is scraping against itself. Foam suggests a bad head gasket because there's coolant mixing with the oil
>>
My insurance dropped me because of a recent dui... (Yeah i know i fucked up, my bad. It was actually on new years night too so that might help my case) ANYWAYS. but what do i do now? Ive called other companies and they wont insure me either... I have to get to work to pay these damn bills!
>>
>>17548966
Is bad head gasket and blown head gasket the same thing? Big deal? And would this foamy oil be found on the dipstick itself?

Whats a blown valve cover? Leaky valve cover? Or is gasket the proper term? And what are the results of such?
>>
>>17548978
>what do i do now?
Kys
>>17548994
They're basically the same thing yes. It's a big deal because it messes up your car's cooling system and costs a lot to replace. And yeah the foamy oil would be on the dipstick. It's usually white. Valve cover gaskets usually don't blow, but they get small leaks. The valve cover is the very top of the engine, and the gasket goes between it and the head.
>>
>>17530902
my car is too low in the front to pass inspection
what are those rubber thingies you put on the spring called
or do w124 300D springs fit in a 260E
>>
My car was running earlier in the day (as recent as about an hour ago) but now won't start up. Roommate tried giving me a job but noticed my battery is corroded. Will this completely halt all electricity? I can't even electronically lock the car bc the battery is so non responsive.
>>
>>17548929
When actually doing this. The tech just drove the car,and looked for any body damage, they don't care how it is mechanically, just so that it drives good and looks good so someone will buy it from them
>>
>>17549599
Thats interesting, if true. I had a dealership tell me several things wrong with an actual car i was trying trade in... So they were bullshiting me to offer a lower trade in price? They specificly said valve cover leak and broken sway bar...

Btw whats a sway bar?
>>
8th gen accord euro. Thoughts?
>>
>>17549473
Clean off the corrosion and connections to the battery. Should start, but maybe look into a new battery. I find that when i buy a new battery from say walmart... Itll only last about a year/less than until corrosion starts again.
>>
>>17549661
Euro? Accords are alright, their just ugly as far as interior design.
>>
>>17549672
Cleaned the corrosion, started up like a charm. Thanks anon. I'll buy a new battery in 2 weeks since im a poorfag.
>>
How reasonable would it be for someone with a beginner/intermediate level of mechanical skills to pull apart an engine and rebuild it? I have rebuilt two lawnmowers, one two stroke and one four. Would I be able to rebuild an engine in a reasonable amount of time? I would probably get something easy and cheap like a Civic to begin with. Also, how much can I expect to pay for new parts in a typical rebuild?
>>
>>17549680
>Euro?
pic related. We have two accords in Australia, the other is what americans get.

I just wanna be cozy driving to work desu.
>>
>>17549696
>>
>>17545452
check amazon. most are around 52-150
>>
>>17530902
If I got an converter (changes from 5 to 12) like this, then a male to male cig cable to plug into my cars port could I use this to charge my cars battery?
or would it trip a fuse or something?
>>
>>17530902
What should I look for when buying jack stands and jacks?
>>
>>17549144
Hockey pucks
>>
File: 1380493996257.gif (140KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1380493996257.gif
140KB, 600x450px
How do I get better at driving the 峠? I ain't looking to drift yet but I want to learn how to do high speed/performance driving. I literally don't even know how to do a doughnut.
>>
>>17531002
not shit at all but really sketchy
>>
>>17534587
thats the spirit
>>
>>17536254
just a little guy
>>
>>17543934
get a e36 or a s-chassis if youre serious about it because eventually you will want drift-specific boltons. if its for screwing around in the snow/ dirt get an old volvo or something
>>
>>17530902

Hey guys it seems /o/ hates
>pic related

I personally like the bw golf, I've been wanting one for a while now, but it seems I might end up regretting it
>high price replacement parts

So what I am asking is, what cars seem to be reliable with cheap parts? I see honda general all the time, I guess /o/ has a hard on for hondas?
>>
>>17544788
vents wastegate directly to atmosphere.
wastegate opens at your predetermined peak boost and bypasses air before it enters the tarboo. on boost its like a mini straight-pipe coming straight out your hood. not for street use in places that might care
>>
File: 445293080bd826117326ba16c0efdd09.jpg (305KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
445293080bd826117326ba16c0efdd09.jpg
305KB, 768x1024px
>>17549873
>doughnut
kek, donut

and its easy, drive in circle, dump clutch, countersteer quickly and modulate the throttle
like its so easy even mustang drivers can do it
>>
Why do people say turbo engines are so much more expensive and complex than naturally aspirated ones, when it's literally a fucking fan that lets you use a smaller engine for the same power? Also why have I heard that superchargers are more expensive when it's literally a fucking belt driven fan?
>>
File: 1499281857090.png (98KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1499281857090.png
98KB, 1280x720px
What exactly is hp and torque and what do they do?
>>
>>17549929
Can't say for VW specifically, but I had the next best thing:
Seat Leon mk2, which is a cheaper golf mk5.
1.4 tsi manual
Bought it new in 2012, had it for 5 years.
Replacement parts are expensive, yes. The car is mildly comfortable, the stereo is one of the best I've heard in a car, even though I got the base model.
I had 2 problems with it: 1: the brake booster stopped working, had to be replaced, along with the master cylinder, because the replacement wasn't compatible. Cost me about 250$
And the coolant seems to be evaporating faster then usual. I had to add about a quart of distilled water every month.

The car has done 80000 km before I passed it to my brother.
>>
>>17545476
I agree with >>17545534 since that stuff is simple to work with, doesn´t require special tools and effectively prevents rust.
>>
>>17549985
>hp
It shows you how strong your engine is.
>torque
It shows the torque, wich doesn´t realy say much since that value is changed by the gearbox anyway.
>>
does a 5w-30 oil get thicker as it warms up? Bigger numbers means more thicker, right? going from a thin 5-weight in the cold to a thick 30-weight?
>>
I have a E36 M3 and need tires in 235/40/17 or 245/40/17. My priorities go

>Longevity/Tread Wear
>Cost
>Grip

In that order, my choices for a new set of tires are:

>Federal 595 RS-RR in 235/40/17 - $425
>Kumho Ecsta V720 in 235/40/17 - $550
>Nexen NFera Sur4 in 245/40/17 - $550
>Bridgestone Potenza RE71R in 245/40/17 - $600

I was thinking of getting the RS-RR for being better on treadwear than the V720/RE71R, and don't know anything about the Nexen aside from supposedly decent but still $175 more than the Federals. I'm a novice for the most part and just want something stickier than regular tires. Direzzas/RS4s/Advans run $700-800 for the set.
>>
>>17550465
Oil gets thinner as it heats. Higher first number means thicker oil when cold. Second number is resistance to thinning when heating up. High number means less change in viscosity as the oil heats than a low number.
You don't want it too thin, it loses some of the lubricating properties you want. Don't want it too thick either.

If you're unsure about what oil to use, the manual should contain any info you need.
>>
>>17549985
They're related, but sort of not related at the same time.
Torque basically means the ability to do something. Power (HP) is how fast it can be done.
So an engine with low torque but high hp at a given rpm can do shit fast, but struggle once resistance is applied.
Same applies in reverse for high torque, low hp engines. Can take a lot of resistance, but won't be doing it fast.
That's why tractors and trucks often favor high torque. Gets the heavy job done, but not fast.

Assuming I'm even right. Haven't slept in 2 days so might be off on something.
>>
>>17538565
Nobody?
>>
>>17530959
I've heard the Hyundai (?) Ioniq is halfway decent
>>
>>17550612
Should have gotten some sleep, don't you have that test today?
>>
>>17550669
I should. But no test, you might be thinking of someone else.
>>
>>17550663
There's not a whole lot of aftermarket air boxes. You might be able to get one from a semi-modern car and as long as it's the right diameter it should work
>>
>>17534916
Replace fuel filter, and check inside your intake to make sure it's opening all the way

Chrisfix has videos on both

>>17535114
Go up a size or two on tires, rattlecan black those wheels

>>17535702
If just the cable then replacement isn't hard

>>17537920
Mazda, interior on the 3 is nicer

>>17540271
Dodge/Jeep/Chrysler do stupid things mechanically alot. Example, idler pulley on the 4.0 inline 6 isn't reverse threaded, so it removes itself from belt movement if the bearings get at all dirty.
So if you're ok with copious amounts of stupid under the hood then they're pretty nice to drive

>>17542907
Disconnect the battery completely, wait until residual charge dies out (5 minutes is prettymuch guarenteed), reconnect battery
>>
File: 1500298499311.jpg (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1500298499311.jpg
1MB, 1440x2560px
I drove through some tall grass and now my engine has become very loud. Is it going to break or something?
>>
>>17543256
Are you getting the right bulbs? As in exact factory spec?

>>17548530
>>17548516
Chevy has God tier air conditioning, less comfortable ride

Ford has better fuel economy, more safety features, but less power and towing capacity

>>17548978
Build a motorized bicycle, most states won't require any sort of license or insurance to ride it. Get around on that until insurance will trust you again
>>
e90 any good?
found one 2006 320d for 6200 euro
should I get this or a golf 6 1.4 tsi of 2009 for the same price
the bmw has more HP but which one will have less problems and stuff? I dont want that cause its gonna be my first car
I like both
the bmw seems manlier but the gold seems smaller/qter
>>
>>17550940
(pic related)
>>
how does octane boost + regular gas work vs race gas on high compression engines?
>>
>>17530902
why are my rear brake pads wearing super unevenly? I'm at like 10 mms on the right and 15 on the left
>>
>>17551004

links of both:
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Tiran%C3%AB/AUTOMJETE/Makina/VW-Volkswagen/Golf/Golf/OKAZION-GOLF6-1-4-TSI/4432520
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Tiran%C3%AB/AUTOMJETE/Makina/BMW/Seri-3/320/Bmw-320--okazion-2-0--/4387685
>>
Cheap ways of dealing with scratches and paint chips?
Got a dark green Saab so all the chips and scratches it had when I got it are painfully obvious from a distance.

Touch up pen a good solution?
>>
Getting over the fact my car is in the first stages of rusting? Got a shitbox mazda 3, live in Ontario, Canada. So shit is going to rust and these things are super prone to rusting out, just got to deal with it i guess. I really like these cars but it is next to impossible to find a really clean one and it is almost guaranteed to rust.
>>
>>17550948
>Are you getting the right bulbs? As in exact factory spec?
apparently not, manual says 3057 but online search says 3157. the turn signal that died had a 3157 in the back but the other side has a 3057, is there a difference between the two becuase they look pretty much the same?
>>
My car gets hot as fuck inside if i let it sit. The interior is black and gray, with the black being a leather like material that seems to endlessly absorb heat and amplify it when you try to sit on it. I got a reflector to put in front of the windshield, but its got a hatch and moon/sun roof, so it didnt help much. Is tinting my only other option besides a whole car cover?
>>
if I get a squarebody, is it even worth fucking with the stock 10 bolts, or should I just immediately try to throw a D44 and a 14 bolt under there?
what's a list of donors for those? I've read they just bolt right up if they're from another square but that seems like a load of fucking shit to me.
>>
>>17551712
Look for a shadier parking spot.
>>
>>17551643
Yes, it's effectively the same as putting a 40 watt bulb into a 60 watt ceiling fan. Alot brighter but dies faster
>>
>>17549968
>It's just a fan

That's why you fail to understand what makes them more complex.
>>
>>17549656
Keeps your rear end tied together in a turn.
>>
>>17548945
If your tires are directional it's best to take them to a shop and have them rotated, they have to come off the rim theyre on t have it done correctly.
>>
>>17548886
No, no such thing and they're relatively cheap already. Dumbass
>>
>>17550238
Hp is derived from torque so it's actually kind of important to know especially when comparing two engines of similar hp.
>>
File: 1500312004810.jpg (977KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
1500312004810.jpg
977KB, 1536x864px
Reposted from my thread, I didn't see this one in the catalog

I need some help with my 2003 Cavalier. The area with the grating has a lot of old leaves stuck in it, making a wretched musty smell whenever I use the air con or blowers. If I could take that plastic trim off I could get at the leaves with a shop vac but I don't know how to do that, and the internet doesn't seem to have an answer for such a specific question.
>>
File: 1500312080387.jpg (922KB, 1536x864px) Image search: [Google]
1500312080387.jpg
922KB, 1536x864px
>>17552138
Close up of the offending area
>>
>>17552138
Get a 5 pack of Black Ice, cut 'em up, sprinkle 'em in there, refill as necessary
>>
>>17552153
He wants it to smell better, not worse
>>
Not sure if its a question that doesnt deserve its own thread. Still.

I want a go fast car and chick magnet for up to 30 - 40k euros. I want to import it from germany because I get back 20% tax (mobile.de is a great place to check out).

Must have:
>Good looker
>Fast 0-60
>Reliable.

Bonus point:
>Good mpgees for its power
>Coupe

I thught about Merc CLA 45 amg, BMW 435d and 2015+ mustang.
So far the mustang is my favorite simply because it looks damn good, has nice power and is rare here compared to entry class styled merc/bmw
Also test driven and it was rather comfy. Also fear the german cars for not being durable (min maxed turbo engines)

Any other suggestions?
>>
>>17552163
CAN'T DEAL
A
N
'
T

D
E
A
L
>>
>>17549473
>roommate tried giving me a job
Blow or hand?
>>
File: Turbocharger.jpg (176KB, 1200x933px) Image search: [Google]
Turbocharger.jpg
176KB, 1200x933px
>>17552060
Enlighten me then, because this doesn't seem too complex to me.
>>
What are the maintenance work that has to be done regularly after some time or mileage? Can someone list it for me? Timing belt, oil, oil filter, brakes etc. Also would be thankful if mileage or time between certain sevices woud be included in the list. Thanks!
>>
will a 99 Mustang GT make a good DD?
It's one of my favorite cars of all time
>>
>>17550733
What does an airbox offer that a intake filter doesn't? I want to reduce size, clunkiness and rattle, what should I look for?
>>
>>17552305
Not him, but boiiii, there's a lot more to go wrong. Not that they aren't great, but more to fail in a system...

On the turbo, think about it: it's a fan spinning at anything between 100 thousand and sometimes nearly 250 thousand RPM. You MUST oil this thing properly, or you'll fuck shit up. You need to wait for the oil to be warm enough to circulate properly before you produce b00st, and if you've been driving on the highway, or on the mountains or towing, or driving "hard" in the last few minutes, you need to idle/wait for a few minutes before turning it off to let the hot exhaust part of the turbo to cool down, to prevent oil from cooking near said exhaust portion of the tarbo, blocking the oil passage, making small carbon pebbles that later go around your engine's oil, yadda yadda

That's the spinnamathing itself. The engine also needs to be more gud: you're throwing more heat/power at about the same amount of metal trying to hold together, so materials and construction methods need to be better. Oiling and cooling systems are generally more complex (this costs money, a simpler system is cheaper to produce in the factory). Control systems and sensors are more sensitive, sophisticated and expensive, and although that's a trend happening across the board, a turbo'd engine needs these badly, or it blows up quickly/it becomes a bitch to drive. Also, building tolerances aren't as big, meaning you can't just approximate the size of things as much as you could without a turbo, and that's expensive. Fasteners might need to be better than usual, too

In essence, a smaller engine with a turbo or supercharger (say, an inline 4 cylinder) is, typically, a more "high spec" engine than another of comparable output which doesn't have forced induction (for example, a V6). And while you use less material, the materials you do use tend to be more expensive and more finely made than the ones in the "brute" large engine that does without forced induction
>>
2014 Audi S4 for under 40k. How horrible will this on repairs?

Was looking at a WRX but the Audi is way more refined.
>>
>>17551712
I put pic related above my windows so I could leave them cracked in any weather, helps tremendously with the heat.
>>
>>17552115
My initial post was asking about buying brake pads, new on the shelf like a normal person, but asking what differences there are to justify the differences in price and if it's worth it to get more expensive pads versus the really cheap ones. The anon who replied to me brought up buying used brake pads, which sounds stupid.
>>
>>17553015
You forgot other things have to be improved as outside the engine, Fuel pumps have to be more robust, The injectors have to be able to pump more fuel, the air itself that runs through the turbo gets noticeably hotter, this causes problems as hotter air = shittier performance, in some cases this necessitates an inter cooler.

And on top of that they're no mere fans, they have to increase the pressure of the air, a normal fan does not do this and does not deal with the heat generated during compression, The metals making up the supercharger or turbo charger are specialized to endure the air pressure they put out.
>>
>>17553490
Yeah, I was going for a quick and dirty "general" thing, since someone who knows what a turbocharger does would at least be able to look up answers like what he's looking for elsewhere

Also, ran into character limit for post and CBA to do another one just for that answer
>>
File: IMG_3508.jpg (94KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3508.jpg
94KB, 500x333px
I have a 1992 Honda Accord Ex and when changing the fuel filter, I broke a small plastic piece of the charcoal canister, so I removed the whole thing, plugged the holes, and it still runs fine. I'm gonna ask how I can reconnect the tube from the gas tank back to the fuel injectors so pressure doesn't build in the tank and I don't smell gas everywhere?
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 58

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.