[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOTT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 329
Thread images: 48

File: o.jpg (19KB, 552x126px) Image search: [Google]
o.jpg
19KB, 552x126px
Because last one was over, and I had these questions:
Am I supposed to see coolant running through the radiator or full when the car is on/off? The reservoir is at the full mark but I'm curious.

I drove my car up to Minnesota and it overheated only on steep hills. I let it cool and kept driving. At another instance where it overheated, I could feel/hear the coolant boil inside the reservoir and hose.

I topped it off with coolant after it cooled. I added it to the reservoir; should I have added it to the radiator?

Anyway I'm probably gonna try to do a drain and fill.

I also changed the oil and I had 2.5 quarts. Is it realistic to burn 1.5 quarts in around 2-3k miles? My spark plugs werent fouled and the oil looked fine.

Thanks
>>
engine is almost dead in my 2000 lancer coupe. Want to swap in a different engine.
because of australian laws, it needs to be a 2.4l or less and made by mitsubishi. its just a lot easier that way. also an I4 would be preferred. any ideas?
>>
Was testing things with my car and left the ebrakes on. Then drove the car about 100ft to the end of my street. I always look down at the dash board when I come to a stop and saw the ebrake was on. This is the second time I did this.
How badly did I fuck up my car. Im guess I didnt depress the ebrake hard enough because it didnt drive any differently.
>>
>>17502910
not at all messed up. even older cars were designed with the knowledge that forgetful owners will be in them
>>
>>17502910
It's perfectly fine. It's pretty much driving around with your left foot on the brake and your right foot on the gas, except with less wear. My dad used to accidentally do that in an old Ranger we had.
>>
File: 1499440541080.jpg (404KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1499440541080.jpg
404KB, 720x960px
Hey I'm posting my unanswered question from the previous thread.

What is this circled element and what does it do?

I noticed that there's this lever (circled in blue) in my 2002 Audi A3 in the engine compartment that I believe is connected to the throttle somehow. You can move it back and forward into three different positions. I have no idea what it does though.
>>
File: varg.png (581KB, 762x464px) Image search: [Google]
varg.png
581KB, 762x464px
>>17502279
Reposting from other thread:

I want a 2nd car but don't have a lot of options because our budget is limited.

4-6k, automatic (wife cannot into manual), small SUV. No down payment, no trade in. Excellent credit though (750+).

What I want is a 2nd/3rd gen 4runner but I am open to other options if they are good.

We plan on trading the car in for a newer one in a few years after I graduate uni (infosec).
>>
Is it dumb to buy a car from 1998 (Ford Explorler) since at this point it is 20 years old? Car is in excellent condition, 141k miles.
>>
File: 1395870065204.jpg (137KB, 494x622px) Image search: [Google]
1395870065204.jpg
137KB, 494x622px
>>17503069
Is it on the engine or transmission.
My first thought was that it might select between Drive Neutral and Reverse but then again I could be dumb as fuck
>>
>>17503380
People daily drive cars from the 60s. If it's in good condition it's in good condition.
>>
>>17503069
looks like a kickdown switch?
>>
File: chinkcam.jpg (104KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
chinkcam.jpg
104KB, 1000x1000px
are chink rearview mirror cams worth it? i need some dashcam/gps/parking-cam-monitor for my "new" shitbox. what are the better "brands"?
>>
>>17503069

It's part of the shifting mechanism. The gear linkages (with the coil-like springs around them) are attached to the gear lever.

One linkage transfers the sideways movement of the lever in neutral, the other transfers the up and down movement, like selecting 1st or second.

The three positions you could feel would be 3rd, neutral and 4th gear. If you push down or pull up on the circled thing, you'd instead select 1st and 2nd, or 5th and if applicable 6th.

The reason for the shape and size of the circled thing is just to give a weighted feel when shifting.
>>
File: 3.jpg (51KB, 730x460px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
51KB, 730x460px
12 year old bimmer is eating oil.

Googling has narrowed a potential couple issues down.

Where do you take it?

Have a friendly family mechanic, but he's a small time dude. He won't know this specific issue (seems a common problem for E90s). More cheap and cheerful kinda work. My last car I sourced spark plugs through him but he gave me the wrong type and I had to request by actual part number. I think he might've put the wrong oil in when he changed it too, but I had a shitbox then so meh.

If I search BMW mechanics, the hits are BMW dealers for brand new cars which will charge through the ass and use OEM parts only (pointless on a 12 year old car).

The other hits are literally every garage in existance, because obviously every single garage in the country has a webpage that lists "QUALITY GARAGE FORD BMW MERCEDES" and every other make on the planet. They won't have seen this specific issue before they're just bullshitting.
>>
>>17503595
Do it yourself
>>
>>17503601

I considered it, but I'm always intimidated by stuff involving oil.

Knowing my luck I'll have the part off, and find I don't have some tool or o-ring or something I need to put the new separator in and I won't be able to close it up again. Oil will be everywhere, and I won't be able to drive to a garage.

I guess with research though you can avoid that, I'll see if its doable.
>>
File: 1499599030796.jpg (205KB, 1012x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1499599030796.jpg
205KB, 1012x1536px
Please critique.

Changes, suggestions etc. I just finished making this. Will be printed on a 40*60" poster and framed.
>>
>>17502279
>Am I supposed to see coolant running through the radiator or full when the car is on/off? The reservoir is at the full mark but I'm curious.
No you won't see it cycle through the reservoir. The reservoir is to catch spill-over when the radiator gets very hot, and it can also suck it back in when it's cooler/ lower.

>I topped it off with coolant after it cooled. I added it to the reservoir; should I have added it to the radiator?
Yes you should have waited for the rad to cool and taken the cap off and poured it in there. It may stay in the reservoir for a looong time.

>Anyway I'm probably gonna try to do a drain and fill.
You should. I think your ratio is off. Also you may want to replace your radiator cap, it may not be holding pressure.

>I also changed the oil and I had 2.5 quarts. Is it realistic to burn 1.5 quarts in around 2-3k miles? My spark plugs werent fouled and the oil looked fine.

Could happen. You may also have a leak. Just check the oil every time you get gas.
>>
>Victoria, Australia
>Driving home, pull out on to a two lane road from a slip land
>Going 58-60 km/h on a 60 km/h road
>Highway Patrol starts to slow down, but I also slow down due to a hill

Am I fucked or paranoid?
>>
>>17503837
Are you posting this while drivong while a cop is on your tail?
In that case I'll go with fucked.
>>
>>17503844
Nah, I'm not a phoneposter.
>>
>>17503588
Yes! I just googled "audi a3 shifting mechanism" and I think that's exactly it. Thank you for explaining, anon. And may I ask how did you know? You do a lot of work on Audis?
>>
>>17503919

I work on cars for a living and it's pretty much the same on all transverse manual transmissions.
>>
>>17503539
I have a Garmin Nuvicam Gps/dashcam combo unit. you can tie in a Back up camera, but it has to be Garmin model too.

The unit is like 200-300 last I checked.
>>
>>17503627
Even if you take it to a mechanic there's no guarantee he'll think its the same thing and won't try to fix something unrelated to the problem.

Been there done that, that's why I do most of my own work. Did eventually finally find a mechanic who does exactly what you ask though it was a bitch.
>>
Is there anything I can do to small holes caused by rust without welding equipment? I'm talking about small holes about the size of your fingertip here.
>>
>>17504093
Thanks, but this is a bit over my pricerange. I was more interested in the rearview mirror attached ones, if they eat up a lot of reflective mirror space, is the mirror still useable in its originally intended function etc...
>>
File: 1491693502653.jpg (221KB, 977x900px) Image search: [Google]
1491693502653.jpg
221KB, 977x900px
Is it a dumb/expensive idea to do a transmission swap from a 6spd automatic to a 6spd manual? If the hole in the firewall for the clutch pedal has already been cut out but is covered up by the "dead pedal", does that affect it any?

I'd really like to do a tranny swap instead of selling the car and just buying another car with a manual transmission as this car has sentimental value
>>
>>17502279
how to find cheap insurance when you're 19, no credit, and live in florida?

Please, im begging you
>>
>>17504943
Buy a motorcycle.
>>
>>17504781
If you have the tools, the wherewithal, and time them then why not?

>>17504149
Unless its surface Rust, Rust is like cancer it has to be cut out, welding or epoxying over a few spots won't fix it.
>>
File: 1426310497341.gif (1MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1426310497341.gif
1MB, 250x250px
Does a turbocharger really make that noticable of a difference in felt power at higher altitudes, like 5k ft. and up?
How much of a jump in cost of maintenance and repair would I generally be looking at if I went with a turbocharged engine over a naturally aspirated one?
>>
>>17504981
>Does a turbocharger really make that noticable of a difference in felt power at higher altitudes, like 5k ft. and up?

Depends on the car, on older Carbed cars yes they make a difference.

>How much of a jump in cost of maintenance and repair would I generally be looking at if I went with a turbocharged engine over a naturally aspirated one?

Not much, you'd just have to be aware that more can go wrong. Disassembly would be different for the top end of the engine.
>>
I have a beat to shit 96 honda civic that i got for like 2k but only had 6700k miles on, light body damage namely small dents, nicks, cracks, the hood is slightly bent in, grill kinda overflows the light, should i get some dank ricer bodykit parts or would it be easier to just find replacement parts and paint over, or do nothing cause ill ditch the car when i PCS in 1.5 years
>>
Are k and n air filters actually good or just a meme.
>>
>>17505065
Meme. your paper filter is just fine and doesn't let dirt in like the K&N
>>
how much power do you think a KA24E could (safely) produce with a bolt-on turbo?
thinking of picking up a 1989 240SX as a summer/project car, there's a slightly beaten up but fully stock one with relatively low mileage for sale nearby
>>
>>17504149

When I was younger my dad would just filler it and paint over.

It's a bit ghetto though.
>>
>>17503762
Put your signature on it somewhere, maybe add a 55 if you like

Question: what's the website where people buy cars that are super fucked (someone killed themselves in it, bullet holes, flood damage, not safe to drive, etc) I've been trying to find it and I can't.
>>
>>17505778
Copart
>>
>>17503079
Stop asking questions
>>
>>17503079
>uni
You say that as if you live in the UK.

4runners are not small SUV's and older ones may not qualify for a loan from a bank, if you're in the states.
>>
This is a trivial yet somehow important thing I need to change on my car. I want to listen to the sound it makes when you turn the key, but i cant hear it because I have a 6 disc cd player and it scans all slots for like a minute before shutting up. Is there anyway I can stop it from searching for disc at the start up?
>>
>>17506451
disconnect it, maybe
>>
Are volkswagons good diy cars? Thinking about picking up a used jetta because there are no civics around me and I don't think I can handle a bmw.
>>
Are there any vin threads? I can't find any, what happened to them?
>>
>>17502279
Is it stupid to try to paint my own car? My paint was a pretty bad respray job that I think someone did in their driveway and it's full of runs. I want to sand the shit out of the whole car and repaint it.

I have zero experience doing anything like this but I'm good with my hands and reasonably mechanically minded.

Can you rent paint booths? I don't want to halfass it but I also don't have $2000 to drop on a paint job.
>>
>>17502279
I'm not an /o/ regular by any means and I'd like to get a quick perspective on this.

My friend decided to change his oil tonight, but has found out that the new oil filter he bought isn't the right type. He's already drained his oil and is sending me messages claiming that he's basically fucked and needs me to drive out there and pick him up to get a new one even though I just want to go to sleep right now and it's fucking raining anyway.

Can't he just use his old oil filter to get to work tomorrow and then swap it out after he gets home tomorrow? He has new oil, he's just insisting he urgently needs a brand new filter right now.

Is he just being autistic or does he actually have a legit problem? I don't know shit about cars and don't see why he can't just use his old filter for one more goddamn day, I really feel like I don't want to be assed with this if it's not tally necessary.
>>
>>17507403
It's always best to use a new filter. Get it for him and then tell him he owes you a favor
>>
>>17505065
meme, if your car is drawing in air from relatively the same place as the stock intake you won't be changing the performance. However the different shape of the intake will give your engine a little sportier sound.
>>
>>17507186
the guy could only do so many a day and eventually decided to leave for some reason. haven't seen a real vin thread in months.
>>
>>17507435
It's not like I want to make him skip out on changing it completely, I just want him to use the old filter for one more day. Just one.

I've had a long fucking day, I desperately want to get some sleep and I don't see what harm could possibly happen here.
>>
what does burning oil smell like?
>>
>>17507291
bump
>>
Why are ls swaps so popular?

And why does it seem like an ls fox is a meme?
>>
>>17502298

Try to get a 4B12 or the 4B12T. Decent engine, even though it's technically not a real Mitsi engine as it was made by Chrysler and Hyundai venture, it was in the Lancer.
>>
>>17507658
Cause people have zero imagination.
>>
>>17507527
Bags of sand
>>
>>17506451
>Is there anyway I can stop it from searching for disc at the start up?
It can always be connected to draw power. Then it will never forget and thus not need to cycle through all the discs to rebuild its catalog. I had a 50+1 giant disc changer for car use made by Pioneer for their Japanese market. It would do the same thing but also had a smart mode where it didn't cycle but waited for a direct command or it would go to the next disc location and rebuild from there. It had a slight bit more delay in that mode. I didn't want it to always be on as a parasitic load on the battery.
>>
>>17507291
Look up archived painting threads on /o/. One of them had some details on how to make your own pressurized paint booth in your garage. I don't know, but maybe a keyword to look for is macgyver. Occasionally that macgyver guy makes posts (no name or trip) but he puts macgyver in his post or uses that racequeen picture.
>>
what would be the best option to get rid of frying oil residue in my gas system? The previous owner left the car sitting for 8 months and I've ran diesel in it only.
I've cleaned the gas pump and it was filled with shit from the oil.
Would a gas system cleaner work good enough or what?
>>
>>17504149
Fiberglass patches
>>
My car started up fine yesterday, drove it to work and back, but today I woke up and tried to start it but it cranked and then started clicking. Why isn't my cars battery charging? Had to put it on charge for a few hours, bf xr8 falcon, is there a drain on the battery or something?
>>
>>17509253
>Gas
>Diesel
>Frying oil

You've referenced three different fuels in one paragraph, what exactly does your car run on? Pony farts?
>>
>>17509497
because saying gas system always refer to gasoline powered cars
also, put two and two together: diesel engines can run on normal diesel and frying oil.
>>
>>17507076
> I don't think I can handle a bmw.

Then you can't handle a vag product either
>>
I have a 2014 328i. I know nothing about working on cars, and I get the feeling I picked the wrong brand to want to learn to tinker with it.

That said, I really want to go about adding android auto or at the very least bluetooth audio to it (my car supports bluetooth phone right now).

Where should I start?
>>
>>17509523
>because saying gas system always refer to gasoline powered cars

Exactly, if you put gasoline in a diesel you'll destroy it. Do you have a point in restating this?

>Also, put two and two together: diesel engines can run on normal diesel and frying oil.

Also true however to run on cooking oil the vehicles have to be modified slightly, or the lines can corrode.

So again, what exactly are you supposed to be using?
>>
>>17509550
New head unit, which maybe difficult seeing how new your car is, not alot of aftermarket available for the electronics yet.
>>
File: wheel.png (234KB, 517x582px) Image search: [Google]
wheel.png
234KB, 517x582px
can anyone identify the tire that the wheel in the picture has?
>>
>>17509839
I mean the inside part of the wheel, i forget the name of it.
>>
>>17509585
>Exactly
you dense, son.
I've never heard anyone ever refer to the fuel lines, tanks and filters of a diesel car as diesel system.
>to run on cooking oil the vehicles have to be modified slightly
diesel sure as fuck doesnt, you just need to mix some frying oil into your diesel and it's just fine.
Vid related was filmed as the shitbox ran entirely on frying oil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_5F0o2GdVI
>>
How long can i drive until next oil change with my 2014 vw passat
>>
>>17510014
when was the last oil change?
>>
>>17510033
~26000 km / last week
>>
what is the typical cost of a transmission rebuild?
>>
What do you do about the "PRICE FIRM don't waste either of our time lowballing" faggots on craigslist? Haggle with them anyway? Because whenever I see this it's always on a car that's overpriced by a grand or two. Or just keep looking?
>>
>did a tune up this weekend
>2.8l S10
>each spark plug was covered in oil after the threads

it's got 225k on the clock, and I'd been driving it for the past 2 years at least on the Spark Plugs that were in it when I bought it.
>>
>>17502279
I have a 2016 canyon with the 3.6 v6 and i'm really considering putting a performance tune or chip on there looking for like 30ish extra hp and i'm just not sure where to start or what companies to look at
>>
>>17510164
Intake and exhaust before you do stupid shit.
>>
>>17510067
Usually you should do the oil change every 3 months/7000-10000 miles, but i don't think it would be a bad move to change it every 4-6 months but it all depends on how much do you use the car
>>
>last time I changed my cars oil, I still had a GF

it's been 8 months.. I think I'm gonna change my oil.
>>
>>17510188
Alright thank you
>>
>>17510118
I e-mailed them and say "Hey, I know you are firm on the price. If you have a hard time getting what you need out of it, please keep me in mind, I am comfortable offering up to X if I can take a look at it."

That way they feel that you are a reliable sale and may go with you instead.
>>
>>17510118
His firm price doesn't have to be the same as your offer price.

If you think you understand the value of the purchase better than the seller, make your offer in person, with cash, and see if he'll budge.

Worst case scenario, you end up not overpaying for some expensive shit.
>>
>>17510171
that's what i was already leaning towards that kind of stuff is easy enough but messing with the ecu just gets me overly worried
>>
>>17510132
>after the threads
Rip
>>
>>17510349
time to crate order a 350 I guess.
>>
>>17510243
>>17510277
Ok thanks.
>>
>>17510361
>not building a 305 screamer
>>
Are fuel injectors something you can just take out, clean and put back or is there something more to them?

If it matters I'm talking about a M103 engine on a W124 Mercedes here.
>>
File: 1474263253290.jpg (11KB, 236x300px) Image search: [Google]
1474263253290.jpg
11KB, 236x300px
>>17502279
So I bumped this parked car today as I pulled into my space. It didn't really do much except scratch the paint (maybe knocked the bumper loose as well but I couldn't tell if it was like that or not) Anyways, I left a note and I figured I would try to resolve it outside of insurance before anything, but how much of a fix should I offer to pay for before just saying fuck it and taking it to insurance?

I'm smart enough to know when somebody is trying to gouge me, so I'm not going to let that happen before sending them to my insurance and saying fuck it. I figured 200ish was a good place to start
>>
File: RaceQueen_Kazami.jpg (214KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RaceQueen_Kazami.jpg
214KB, 720x1080px
>>17509253
>what would be the best option to get rid of frying oil residue in my gas system?

You stated "gas system" so this answer is for a gasoline system and not a diesel system. If you meant to say you use a Mr Fusion sytem in your DeLorean but accidently typed "gas system" instead, my advice would be substantially different. Always type what you mean while avoiding pronouns and synonyms that force everyone else to try to read your mind.

You have provided no car, engine, or location particulars so I assume this is summertime for your gas system car. In the southern hemisphere, I'd tell you to move the car indoors and put a heater in your garage to warm up the entire car (e.g. fuel tank, its liquid contents, fuel lines). In the northern hemisphere, you should park your gas system vehicle outdoors in the sun after filling the tank full of regular Top Tier gasoline from Costco or other stations with high amounts of detergent. Costco is at the high end of Top Tier gas detergent content. You should add two or three bottles of Techron fuel system cleaner for its detergent and solvent content.

The reason is because frying oil has different types of fats in it. Some of those thick frying oil fats may have formed a ring of coagulated fat at the "waterline" and higher on the ceiling in your fuel tank. The combination of hot outdoors and detergent action from the Techron plus the top tier fuel's own detergent will get rid of any coagulated fats unless they sat there for 8 months to harden up in a chemical reaction. If it does that, then it will take longer. Importantly, the summer heat is your ally. The hotter the better as MacGyver would say.
>>
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000AAMY86/ref=pe_3034960_233709270_TE_item

are these a meme or a good investment?
>>
>>17507475
If the old filter has reached its maximum mileage/hours of operation, it's likely that the filter medium has been saturated with contaminants and might not have the flow necessary, or could be bypassing and no longer filtering at all.

However, no, this is not your problem. Your friend is an idiot for not doublechecking or already knowing what kind of filter he should have had. He can ride the fucking bus and remember his filter next time.
>>
>>17509444
Literally dozens of reasons why this could be. Check your battery connections, clean 'em, and slap them back on, then start the car, throw a multimeter across the battery terminals, and look for 13-14 volts with the engine running. If you see less, it's not charging. If you have a friend rev the car and the voltage changes more than the tiniest bit, your voltage reg is fuckered, and you need an alternator. Beyond that, yeah, you could have a parasitic draw somewhere. Like a dimmer switch that's fucked up or something. Or the battery itself could have finally whiskered between the plates and is shorting itself out. That can happen fast.
>>
I want to hook up an amp through my standard stereo connector. Unfortunately, the amp needs a 12V DC connector and the power through the connector is 15V. Could I just wire a DC connector and plug that into the amp?
Pic related is connector.
Amp:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MINI-CAR-HI-FI-DIGITAL-AUDIO-STEREO-AMPLIFIER-AMP-SPEAKER-FM-Radio-USB-MP3-MUSIC-/181971277538?hash=item2a5e5556e2:g:7AoAAOSwTA9X6zif
>>
will having the downstream o2 sensor disconnected affect whether or not my truck goes into closed loop mode? trying to isolate which sensor is fucked up on my 98 jeep Cherokee 4.0. on a cold start it runs fine, but as soon as it gets up to temp and goes into closed loop it starts stumbling badly and bucking around and it barely holds an idle. if I disconnect the upstream o2 sensor (forcing it to run in open loop) it runs fine, however my gas mileage is abysmal. before I unleash the parts cannon I just want to know it there's a better way of narrowing it down. the trucks had exhaust work done and there's no catalytic converter so the rear o2 sensor (now disconnected) was just dangling above the muffler. should also mention that until I disconnected the upstream o2 sensor and went for a full drive cycle there was no DTC.
>>
What's the point in lifting a truck? I know it raises the COG but what's the point?
>>
how do these #SLAMMED #HELLAFLUSH people jack up their cars? do they take the side skirt off?
>>
>>17511262
assuming its actually being used for offroading, its to fit bigger tires for better ground clearance
>>
>>17511262

what this guy said >>17511272

also, it's pretty cool riding on the highway, feeling like you're touching the sky
>>
>>17511272
>>17511282
Ah someone told me it helps with towing easier with a higher COG.
>>
>>17511237
no. it will fuck up the amp.

general rule of thumb for electronics is ALWAYS match the voltage it requests. undervolting or overvolting WILL damage it.

with amperage it doesn't matter too much, as long as the device gets what it needs

example; something needs 12v DC, 300ma. getting a 12v DC transformer that supplies 600ma is fine, as the device will only draw what it needs. just make sure the voltage is correct.
>>
>>17507403
reusing an oil filter is like wearing sweaty old clothes that you've worked and sweated your ass off in.

Plus any dirt caught in filter will eventually leak out and fuck up his engine(if he's using a shit-tier walmart filter)

Have him fill your tank at least if he's desperate for a filter.
>>
>>17510746
>You have provided no car, engine, or location particulars
because I live in france and the car I have, while sold outside, was nearly not sold at all in TD like the one I have.
So you think just filling it with fuel cleaner would work? I scooped out 2 spoonfulls of shit out of the pre-pump.
>>
>>17510340
Then do the easy stuff first. Then worry about the complicated shit later that'll require more time and money
>>
>>17509869
Do you mean the tire or wheel/rim/metal?

Tire is likely https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Super+Sport+A%2FS+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29

wheel is just some placeholder.
>>
File: image_22807.jpg (123KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image_22807.jpg
123KB, 1200x1200px
when a jack says it's rated at 1.5 tons, does that mean it can only lift 1.5 tons or it's only rated for a car weighing 1.5 tons?
>>
>>17511495
I'd imagine it'd be for any weight that equals it's rating capacity.
>>
So I need to save mo ey on gas for my Audi, the only problem is that it only take 91+, anyone got any fuel economy tips? It's a 5 speed manual.
>>
>>17511517
so if I have a 4000lb car and I jack it up with the 1.5 ton jack, I wouldn't be exceeding its capacity since I am only lifting about half the weight at a time, right?
>>
>>17511495
Rated means it can hold that weight for a certain amount of time before it gives.

It would probably lift heavier, but not for very long or you'll wreck the lifting components.
>>
>>17511542
well, I am going to be using jack stands
>>
>>17511526
Get an economy shift indicator, always drive with a full tank, windows up
>>
>>17511532
You will be because 1 ton is about equal to 2000 pounds. Get a lift that's rated higher than the actual weight of your car.
>>
>>17511563
1.5 ton is 3000 lbs

half of 3000 lbs is 1500lbs which is 3/4 ton (I think)
>>
>>17511526
windows up on highway, no boiracing, make sure all tires are properly inflated and with even tread. and dont have extra unnecessary cargo.

>>17511549
use all of them. better safe than dead. What are you planning to do?
>>
>>17511590
>What are you planning to do?
using it for my miata to perform regular maintenance, also I will be using it for my dad's 2014 mustang gt
>>
File: powerkleenashitmaybe.jpg (20KB, 205x500px) Image search: [Google]
powerkleenashitmaybe.jpg
20KB, 205x500px
Any other alternatives to this? Because fuck paying $15 for specialty shit. I've read that simple green, dawn/water mix, and other degreaser cleaners would work the same, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried it.
>>
>>17511431
the metal/rim is what i mean, since i'm looking for something that looks stock-ish.
>>
>>17511057
A $40 bluetooth unit will give you the same readouts through your phone.
>>
>>17510746
>You stated "gas system" so this answer is for a gasoline system and not a diesel system.

Thank god someone else has a fucking brain in here.
>>
>>17511656
Ok well what do you drive, that will determine what you can reasonably fit on it.
>>
>>17511595
Neither of those cars are anywhere close to 4000lbs.

And yes only lifting one side of the car up at a time with a 1.5 jack is fine. Get a 2 ton+ when you can afford as they're more versatile though.
>>
>>17511753
the mustang is like 3,700 lbs lmfao
>>
>>17511532
I'm sure there's a lot more science behind the distribution of the vehicles weight when you've got it jacked up, but yes basically you've got the right idea.
>>
File: 001.jpg (35KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
35KB, 500x375px
>>17511741
A Pontiac Sunfire 2002
>>
>>17511916
Re-badge it as a Cavalier z24, and swap a 3.8l Super charged into it.
>>
File: 2004 honda pilot.jpg (70KB, 575x431px) Image search: [Google]
2004 honda pilot.jpg
70KB, 575x431px
Redpill me on the Honda Pilot
>>
Do I need to drain and refill my transmission some time after rebuilding it to remove the dissolved assembly lube or is it ok to let that stuff float around in there?
>>
Is it a good idea to switch from 5w30 to 10w40 on a high mileage engine with occasional lifter ticking?
>>
how dumb am i for wanting to sell my 2011 Civic LX (64k mi~) to get a Lexus SC400(115-150+) and have some scrap left over?
>>
Is it true that buying cars from dealers is a bad idea?
>>
>>17502279
Did you bleed or burp the coolant system, OP?
>>
>>17512618
If you're a poor fag, you're going into a lot of debt that you don't quite understand yet, and it is not an advisable approach.
>>
File: PrescottRally08004.jpg (82KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
PrescottRally08004.jpg
82KB, 800x600px
What make and model is this?
>>
How hard would it be to just make my own engine?
>>
>>17513016
>>17513016
fourth gen corolla
>>
>>17512618
>buy used car
>2008 CRV for $7500, no visible flaws
>literally the next day I found out the radiator hand been put back together with some sort of sealant.
Never go to car dealers, just lowball the fuck out of people on gumtree or craigs list or whatever your country has. You'll eventually snipe something good, I got myself a Mazda 939 luxury edition for 1000 dollary doos and it hasn't had a problem in the 4 years that I've had it.
>>
my bikes clutch is slipping. if you gun it in 3rd to 5th it will slip and rev up like its got a centrifugal clutch. its got 36.5k miles and the clutch seemed fine when i first got it but it slowly started slipping worse and worse and its a street bike so it shouldnt haven been romped on like a sport bike.
im not sure if the clutch cable is too tight keeping the clutch half engaged, if its just old and worn (it is from 1980), or its the oil im using (t6 5w40, its jaso-ma certified so it should be fine).
any ideas?
>>
I've been looking into buying a new car and it has pretty much come down to either a Mazda 3 2.2 bitturbo 150HK or Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI.
Both cars are pretty much the same price, and I know /o/ recommend the Mazda, but I've never really seen Skodas mentioned in threads, so I was wondering if somebody could give me a reason to not pull the trigger on the Octavia?
>>
>>17513261
nigger owners
big wheel suspension problems
bad wiring radio problems
abused as fuck engine/tranny
>>
>>17512528
I feel like it's a yes
>>
i found a cheap 98 lincoln mk8 on cl. Is there anything that I should watch out for when looking at it? I'm expecting it to drive like a sn95 but with a better engine.

how wrong am I?

>>17513281
im 90% sure the seller is a dumb black guy, the saving grace is that its a stock radio.
>>
>>17513054
not very
>>
Been looking through the usual forums but can't find recent reviews.

I'm looking at putting a Golen 4.6L stroker engine in my 1998 Jeep XJ. My current i6 doesn't have any problems except running a little hot.

Question is: Is it worth dropping six grand on a built engine? It's made to drop right in, and claims to give 270HP and 300ft/lb torque. That's worth the money for me. What I'm worried about is getting a whole slew of problems that could come with it.

Does anyone have any experience with swaps like this? What should I expect?
>>
After restoring my headlights I want to put on a clear coat to protect them from future fading. Only thing is I'm worried about smeared bugs. I normally scrape bugs off my car with a hard sponge. Would that damage the clear coat on the headlights?
>>
>>17513508
get the big bits off gently, then use a towel or microfiber cloth to wipe away. coating should be fine
>>
File: grip-v-drift-art-2.jpg (424KB, 1200x467px) Image search: [Google]
grip-v-drift-art-2.jpg
424KB, 1200x467px
When is it faster to drift and when is it faster to grip?
>>
>>17513716
>When is it faster to drift and
In Dirt
>when is it faster to grip?
On Pavement.
>>
Whats the point of varriable valve timing? Is it just to get some extra power out of a smaller engine when needed? My engine has vvti, but i cant feel the "lift" or really notice much of a difference. Ill pay more attention tomorrow, but all ive noticed is a slight pause around when the vvti should be kicking in. Does that pause mean the pins that enable the vvti are fucked? Only way i can find to tell if theyre shot or not is to floor it and wait for the lift
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 500x375px
I just got myself a BMW and finding it harder and harder to stop being an elitist towards poor people and their shitboxes. What can I do to fight this?
>>
Are the WAT racing stickers a /o/ thing or is it something different? When I google it watracing.com comes up but that site isn't autistic enough to be anything related to 4chan.
>>
>>17514344
What kind of BMW is it?
>>
>>17513508
Optimum power clean. Bugs and shit basically dissolve if you let it sit for a minute.
>>
What are some nice, fast, but still somewhat practical sport/luxury sedans you'd recommend with a $25k budget?
>>
File: IMG_1876.png (883KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1876.png
883KB, 750x1334px
>he lowered his price to $3500
Hnnnnnng
>>
File: 1461610930464.jpg (151KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1461610930464.jpg
151KB, 1280x720px
>>17514666
>but that site isn't autistic enough to be anything related to 4chan.

it's exactly that autistic.

which reminds me, where DID WAT racing start, anyway? didn't it start off as some forza meme?
>>
File: 850.jpg (815KB, 2064x1548px) Image search: [Google]
850.jpg
815KB, 2064x1548px
I'm thinking of getting this mustang near me. Thoughts?

>1994 v6 5spd
>needs the shitty dip job buffed off but the paint underneath might be ok
>seller claims it was abandoned in a rental property and subsequently repo'd
>I've physically started the car myself and drove it around the block, seems ok
>$850
>>
>>17514831
ehh. I mean, you could always swap a v8 in later.
>>
>>17514831
If there's plastidip on it I give the paint underneath a 0.01% chance of being salvageable.
>>
>>17512528
any chimes?
>>
What allows regular automatic cars to shift without needing to let off the gas?

What about high powered cars with automatic or paddle shift cars? Same thing?
>>
What's a 'tune up'?

I always thought it just meant spark plugs/cap/rotor
>>
I keep seeing that an older BMW isnt a good car for a poorfag cause of upkeep costs.
Do they breakdown more often or something?
>>
So I am not much of a car person, but I am in need of a newer car than what I have now. I currently drive a shitty Saturn SL1 1999 and it has served me well for like 4 years and has almost 200k miles on it and I can feel it getting worse each day I drive it. Lots of grinding noises, needs new brakes and the AC is fucked up (I live in FL so this extra sucks). I just want to get rid of it and get a 5000 dollar car with working AC to take to work/school. What should I throw this shitbox on craigslist for? Any advice is appreciated
>>
>>17515964
>What's a 'tune up'?
That meant something before the days of computers managing car functions. Mechanical systems needed to be re-adjusted, worn parts like plugs replaced every 15K to 20K miles, carbs cleaned, etcetera.

Your computerized car does the "tune-ups" for you automatically now. As things wear, the sensors feed back data and the computer adjusts the operating points of various different components to compensate for the wear or alterered performance. Spark plugs have gotten way better and no longer need to be replaced often. Hence no more spark plug TV commercials like in the old days.

Rather than tune-ups, you have scheduled maintenance to coincide with the computers having used up most of the leeway in their adjustments and certain fluids needing to be replaced in order to replace the worn out additives.
>>
Is it a good idea to switch from 5w30 to 10w40 on a high mileage engine with occasional lifter ticking?
>>
How bad of an idea is it to tune my daily and use it for both dd and races?
>>
>>17517338
>switch from 5w30 to 10w40
I don't know about your lifter ticking problem, but if you are switching from 30-weight to 40-weight oil, you don't need to change the first number which is for winter performance. Otherwise, the oil will be slower to flow at the beginning when the engine and oil is cold. There are full synthetic european formula oils sold at walmart in the 5 quart jugs for 5W40 and 0W40.
>>
>>17517424
Ahh alright, well my cousin is a mechanic and telling me to switch from 5w30 to 10w40 because it's at 96k miles. The manual calls for 5w30 so I was apprehensive
>>
File: IMG_7938.jpg (140KB, 749x735px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7938.jpg
140KB, 749x735px
What kind of truck does ChrisFix have? Why choose this truck?
>>
>>17503079
Honda CRV
>>
>>17503380
Just checked one out the other day, looked excellent from the photos but drove like shit, it was in Central Jersey with around 141k miles
>>
>>17517590
Mazda B2600
Because it's a Ford Ranger with a Mazda badge.
>>
>>17517073
Last Saturn I sold was for 500. Here in St. Pete I never see a Z body go for more than $800 in good condition. Don't lie about anything and you could get enough to pay the registration on your next car.
>>
>>17517073
KBB but a tad more?
>>
So how can I?
>>17516220
>>
>>17517643
Seems pretty hard to find on cars.com is this thing rare
>>
>>17517759
I'm sorry what does KBB mean?
>>
>>17517811
sorry it means kelly blue book i'm an idiot
>>
How much boost can a miata 1.6 b6ze engine take reliably. Trying to decide wether i should swap for something like an sr20det or keep it and turbo it up to like 300bhp
>>
>>17517832
8 lbs probably. the rods really suck

the smart thing to do is buy a 1.8 engine from a junker, take it to a machine shop to spruce it up and get new pistons/rods for it. that's what i'm doing for my na6
>>
Celica (5th) or probe with intention to tune and make them fast?
(Can't afford gt4 Celica)
>>
>>17518241
forgot to add - also for daily use
>>
Is Eurolub 5w30 a good oil?
>>
File: IMG_20170711_184947.jpg (3MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170711_184947.jpg
3MB, 3036x4048px
My break piston broke and started leaking break fluid on breaks and drum in my 88 Accord but I broke the break line what are my options to repair it don't think I'll be able to find a break line online. What is the name of the fasteners that connect the metal line to the piston enclosing so I can look for it online?
>>
>>17518629
Never mind I found the line online so I'll buy that and see if using a brass pipe fastener until it comes in
>>
Recently replaced my rear brake drums and now I'm feeling a pulsing from the brake pedal when I brake but no sound. What could cause this?
>>
What's worse for initiating movement on a hill for your manual car: heel/toe or handbrake? I feel both are equally hard on the clutch but feel more control heel toeing. I can clutch balance pretty easy but want contingency to avoid rolling in parallel parked situations on hills greater than 35 degrees.
>>
>>17518410
>Eurolub
>from germany
>where they have laws and societies to control product quality
sounds fine

>>17517765
step 1) get hektik
setp 2) ??????
Step 3) you are now ghost of akina pass

>>17515978
more like if they are cheap and old they are usually driven by poorfags
who don't maintain them properly

>>17512202
it's not terrible as long as your local temps. don't get too cold
If you don't have an oil leak i'd try 0 or 5w40
first
>thinner so it get to lifter faster
>gets thicc to actually quiet it
>>
>>17518672
ABS
brake shoe slip
>>
>>17519445
>it's not terrible as long as your local temps. don't get too cold
If you don't have an oil leak i'd try 0 or 5w40 first

It never gets cold here, always hot.

>Eurolub
>from germany
>where they have laws and societies to control product quality

Yeah I know, the Germans always make good stuff. I've just never heard of eurolub and wasn't sure. Probably better than any American oil
>>
What cons would there be to getting a Y pipe split on my 93 Del Sol?
>>
File: Capture+_2017-07-11-23-35-11-1.png (1MB, 1181x728px) Image search: [Google]
Capture+_2017-07-11-23-35-11-1.png
1MB, 1181x728px
What are these?
>>
Recommended websites for buying car LED lights
>>
>>17512528
someone?
>>
>>17519638
swingarms?
>>
>>17519713
Umnitza, Ebay, Amazon
>>
>>17519524
>why pipe split
ftfy
waste of money
spend the cash on a good muffler
>>
File: PhotoGrid_1499832946045.jpg (2MB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
PhotoGrid_1499832946045.jpg
2MB, 2048x2048px
Sorry for being a total newfag here, but how do you guys recognize a car just by looking at it? Like pic related, if you couldn't see the company logos how would you distinguish the two? Does it really just come down to tiny things like the color of the lights?
>>
>>17519847
>I have never played
>spot the difference
>http://www.spotthedifference.com/
>https://www.roushperformance.com/blog/2008/07/how-to-spot-an-authentic-roush-vehicle/
>>
>>17519847
small things like wheel style (unless its aftermarket), body style, shape of the lights, etc.
>>
>>17518811
heel/toe for rwd, handbrake for fwd
>>
Pick one pls:
>2013 Mazdaspeed 3
>2015 Fiesta ST

Thanks
>>
>>17520346
get the FiST if it has recaros, and if it doesn't, finda FiST with recaros.
>>
>>17520346
FoST
>>
What's a good starter motorcycle, I want something I can put some cargo on but one that is kinda fast too. I won't really mod it except maybe exhaust and white wall tires (always liked those)
>>
>>17520500
single cylinder dual sports

>white wall on motorcycle
are you 55+?
>>
>>17520507
20 turned a month ago.
I'm into old world stuff, I collect surplus and maybe old cars one day.
>>
>>17518263
>>17518241
neither
>>
>>17520346
I'm stealing your idea, but Fiesta

Pick one pls:
>2013 BMW 335i F30
>2014 Infiniti Q50

Thanks
>>
I want to upgrade my car's cooling system. Where should I start?
>>
>>17520535
Thanks, that was helpful
>>
French here. I don't know cars. When I think of US cars, I think of the Viper/Corvette/Fort GT, and the muscle cars.
How are the modern muscle cars now? I see the Mustang try harding hard in movies and video games, I never hear of the others.

Thank you.
>>
Is it worth holding out for an '04 Mazdaspeed MX5? Or is the difference between it and a regular NB negligible?
>>
Hi should I try to get any of these as a first car?

http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Durr%C3%ABs/AUTOMJETE/Makina/Alfa-Romeo/Alfa-159/Alfa-Romeo-159-naft-/4261063
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Durr%C3%ABs/AUT
OMJETE/Makina/Mazda/3/Mazda-3-/4428350
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Tiran%C3%AB/AUTOMJETE/Makina/BMW/Seri-3/320/BMW-320-D-Coupe--full-option/3750638

are alfa romeos good? dont know much about them. are e46 harder to maintain then the rest? should I just go for the mazda 3?
>>
How hard/expensive/time consuming is fiberglass patching small holes in your shitbox?
>>
I need a new 194 bulb for my cars side markers but the only ones I can find are LED is it OK to use those even though the stock ones are incodesent?
>>
>>17521712
Modern muscle cars are much faster than old ones. A new mustang gt has almost twice as much horsepower than it did 15 years ago
>>
File: 1495273955510.jpg (7KB, 231x218px) Image search: [Google]
1495273955510.jpg
7KB, 231x218px
I went to checkout a bugeye Impreza today. It had a pretty high mileage, 150k, but it has a lot of service history. It has no MOT advisories and it was recently serviced and the cam-belt was replaced. It also had some new tyres so I thought it was looked after ok.

It seemed to drive fine with no rattles or anything but there was a slight knock going over some bumps so something is about to give in the suspension. I recognise the sound of a busted shock absorbed pretty well from a 3 series I had. The exterior was in ok shape, bit of rust inside one of the wheel arches. Some of the paint work was a bit scuffed and some trim was loose on one of the doors. It didn't have any grotesque mods.

My first concern is that when I stuck my head under the car and had a poke round, there seemed to be a lot of rust around some bolt heads and then there also seemed to be a lot of black muck built up around the back of the engine. There was definitely an oil leak because I poked my fingers up there and it seemed pretty fresh.

My second concern is that after viewing, I looked up the MOT history. The owner lied about the MOT history and showed me all of the documents bar one. They said that the last MOT, it only failed on tires needing replacing, headlight being a bit shit and the battery housing being a bit loose. They said it had no advisories but then they also neglected to mention:

>Nearside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings engine bed (6.1.B.2)
>Offside Front Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings engine bed (6.1.B.2)
>Rear Body or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings cross member (6.1.B.2)
>some other parts at early stages of corrosion

I love the bugeye imprezas and my heart wants me to buy it but it's a junker right? Leaking some fluids and corrosion issues?
>>
>>17521752
Aren't they supercharged?
>>
>>17520500
>I want something I can put some cargo on but one that is kinda fast too.

Those are the wrong qualities to look for in a beginner bike.
>>
>>17521945
Some car models use computer sensing of the bulbs.
>>
>>17521846
That is a question answered in terms of the person's skill, tools, and whether or not you have space to work behind the holes to be patched.
>>
>>17520500
>starter motorcycle, I want something I can put some cargo on
>i won't mod it
But a cargo carrier is a mod. Carrying cargo changes the feel of the motorcycle, so perhaps it is not ideal for a beginner who may tip over a few times.
>>
So are alfa romeos any good starter car?
I heard nothing about them pretty much.
Do they need a lot of maintenance or are hard to find parts for or smth? waste a lot of fuel?
I found a 2007 159 diesel with 170k km on it for 4800 euro
>>
Do you change your transmission filter when you put in new fluid?
>>
I've got a 2013 GS350 AWD and a few questions. 1) The warranty will be expiring soon, so I'm wondering if some of the aftermarket cartrisge filters (particularly the M1,TRD or Amsoil offerings) are measurably better than the stock Toyota oil filter. Oil changes are every 5k.
2) Toyota used to spec 30-weight oil for the GR engines but now uses 0w20. Any point to going back to 30 weight? I'd pay a bit more for gas to get better engine protection.
3) The tranny and diffs, on older models, demanded periodic fuel changes. By 2013 this requirement had disappeared from the manual. I don't believe in lifetime fluids. Should I change them anyway?
Thanks /o/
>>
>>17523166
you should keep looking unless its reaally cheap because you might end up dumping too much money into it
>>
You should put them on the spot as to why they withheld that info from you. Watch them say they didn't know.
>>
>>17523844
You don't have to but its advisable if you to pull the oil pan off to drain that shit out anyways.
>>
>>17504781
I did it and I think it's worth it, budget about 2k for the gearbox and parts though depending what car it is
>>
>>17520530
So you're a fucking Hipster.
>>
File: post-59293-0-06489100-1363654779.jpg (181KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
post-59293-0-06489100-1363654779.jpg
181KB, 1200x900px
I'm selling my S14 soon and can't decide between a R33 GTST coupe or a Jzx100 Tourer V.
I can get a skyline for about the price I sell my silvia but the JZX will be about 6-8k more.
Which one would /o/ get?
>>
my car has a constant hissing sound from, i guess behind the steering area, that goes away when I press the gas pedal.

2003 panther

the hell is it?
>>
>>17512974
>This post finally somebody said that, meme cars same with Skylines/Supras are usually overpriced drift/takumi/tofu/F&F taxed shit. Seriously the tax is so high now and there are so many alternatives in those price ranges...

What are the so many alternatives in those price ranges?
>>
Does welding a diff make it stronger? I have a stock open diff on a 1963 Ranchero thats not meant to handle more than 100 horsepower but I wanna hook it to a 302.
>>
>>17524745
Get an R32 GTST
>>
I'm being given a car that has been sitting for 4 years. What should I be looking for before I start driving it? I know all the fluids are probably going to need to be flushed and replaced, but are there other things should I be looking at?
>>
>>17525195
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BiFpSkMbNQ
>>
File: chrysler 200.jpg (105KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
chrysler 200.jpg
105KB, 750x422px
Thoughts on a 2015 Chrysler 200 S AWD?

Friend's offering me one with 35k miles for $15k.
>>
>>17525187
Too old and all been thrashed, also they didn't come 25det standard
>>
so my back driver's side turn signal light died extremely fast (~2 months that i changed it) then the front turn signal also died, is there a reason why something like this would happen, can a bad fuse on the car kill my light bulbs?
>>
I drive a 2006 civic si. A while ago i started to hear a bad banging sound from the front passenger side when I drive over bumps and potholes and such on my stock suspension so I bought a new set of coilovers. After testing them out, I still heard the thumping sound over bumps. Could it be an engine mount? There's no vibration or noises or anything like when driving normally. I also have a set of energy front control arm bushings to replace the old bushings but if the old ones are fine I'd rather not change them.
>>
>>17525250
>Chrysler

No.
>>
>>17524937
That's probably your brake booster, is it hissing only when you brake or all the time?
>>
>>17525380
all the time, it goes away specifically when i accelerate
>>
>>17525415
You might have a vacuum leak
>>
>>17525364
What's wrong with Chrysler?
>>
>>17525307
you probably have a short, monitor what blows and it will probably relateds to that
>those buy anything, get a free multimeter coupons from horror fraught
>yah ur gonna need one of those now

>>17525344
check your ball joints
>lift wheels
>grap wheel at 12 and 6 o clock, then at 3 and 9 o clock
>commence the jigglin'
>check for ANY play
>>
File: 1479693604688.png (103KB, 256x443px) Image search: [Google]
1479693604688.png
103KB, 256x443px
>acquire shitbox
>have persistent EGR code
>change fuel filter
>definitely was not changed 3 years or 30,000 miles ago
>code goes away
what did it mean by this?
can bad/gross/contaminated gas trigger an EGR CEL?
>>
>>17525567
will do. thanks
>>
Just learned today that my car is a write off due to what I originally thought was enough damage to need to replace a door and now I need to look for a new car. I'm looking for a fairly simple sedan as I only really care about mileage and a good drive, and I'm looking possibly at the Mazda 3 or a Corolla. Any recommendations?
>>
File: 1327438829270310060.jpg (191KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1327438829270310060.jpg
191KB, 1600x900px
>>17502279

Do you guys think buying a 05-09 V6 Mustang is worth it, or should I save up for a V8?
>>
File: bluemiata.jpg (84KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
bluemiata.jpg
84KB, 675x900px
what it is and what would it take to fix?
Its a baby blue miata and I've never seen one this color and I think I'm in love
>>
File: ACT.jpg (56KB, 600x406px) Image search: [Google]
ACT.jpg
56KB, 600x406px
My car used to rattle when in neutral, but it would stop when I pressed the clutch pedal or had it in gear. It would also stop rattling in neutral once warm.

Now it rattles in neutral all the time, and rattles in gear around 3k RPM when cruising, but not accelerating (i.e. under heavy load)

It got worse after an oil change/lightweight crank pulley install (did both at the same time).

>throwout bearing?
>input shaft bearing?
>loose clutch springs?
>something else?

Clutch and pressure plate are same brand as pic related, if that helps.
>>
>>17525825
That Miata looks beat to fuck. It would take dozens if not hundreds of hours and hundreds if not thousands of dollars to get it looking good again, even if you do all the work yourself.

>rust
>chipped paint
>dents
>dry rot
>whatever the fuck is going on with that hard top seam

Run, my dude.
>>
>>17525779
The price difference isn't much for those years so just get a V8.
>>
>>17525582
>can bad/gross/contaminated gas trigger an EGR CEL?

A dirty fuel filter will have the effect of reduced fuel flow, not contaminated gas. Dirty filters of virtually any type will filter better, but flow worse.
Oil filters are an exception, they have a BPV.

If reduced fuel flow/pressure can cause a EGR CEL, then that was your issue.
>>
>>17520709
Beemer
>>
>>17525972
Any particular reasons?
>>
>>17526042
Nissan a shit. Had bad experiences with Infinities. Granted they were older than 3 years when I dealt with them.

If you're buying one of these cars, you care about status symbols. BMW beats Infinity there.

I've found Infinities to be very comfortable, but not much fun to drive (outside G35/G37 coupes) and most BMW sedans and coupes are sportier. This may not matter to you, but it's basically bullet-point one for me.

Also resale value is probably going to be better on the BMW.
>>
>>17526097
Thanks anon, good info.
I'm pretty new to cars, but I've been looking for something as a daily drive that's sporty, comfy, and stylish with a budget around $25k give or take a bit. It's less about the status for me, though it doesn't hurt.
Those two seemed to be good picks at the top of my budget, though saving money on something just as good obviously doesn't hurt, especially if maintenance and repairs start becoming an issue like I've heard with German cars. Are there any picks similar to those two that you might recommend?
>>
>>17526152
Lexus might be worth looking into. Reliable, comfy and sporty.
If you go BMW, stay under budget to afford potential repairs. If I'm being honest, BMW would be my choice if I had any interest in luxury cars.
If status truly doesn't mean much to you, don't buy a luxury car. Buy a fully loaded Toyota or something similar. The only drawback to normie brands is severe lack of RWD.
>>
My AC has a weird, fairly strong smell to it when I turn it on. I had a chat with someone at the dealer and they said it was just the "summer humidity and weather" (his own car got it), but I'm not really buying it.
Is it more likely to be some sort of mold/bacteria buildup with the AC? Is there a quick way to check / get rid of it?
>>
>>17526246
>severe lack of RWD
That's part of the reason I haven't put much thought into normie brands. I've spent my entire driving life with FWD econoboxes, and I want to depart from that without going full retard on practicality. I've never been big on American/muscle cars aside from maybe Chargers, so Euro luxury/semi-luxury cars looked like the other alternative.
>>
>>17526304
have you looked at the cabin air filter?
>>
>>17526449
That's my plan when the sun is up. The car is pretty new (2015) with about 20K on it, 95% city driving.
Guy at dealer thinks the filter won't really affect smells, but I'm thinking it could...
>>
>>17526461
maybe the dealer place doesn't want to check if there is something wrong because you have to take apart the whole dash just to check the cooling/heating things in there

I don't really know though, I'm not a mechanic
>>
>>17521806
>>17523807
Maintence is normal. Fuel is ok, considering it's a sedan.
The 1.9 JTD is a good engine overall. Can't tell you about the 2.4.
I can't answer about the parts.

A friend of mine has one, sportwagon 1.9, 278.000km, no major issues. He takes good care of it, though.

Anyway, as a stater car, it should be fine. You can always get a shit box for 500€ and get usted to driving first.
>>
File: unrelated.jpg (185KB, 699x757px) Image search: [Google]
unrelated.jpg
185KB, 699x757px
Good car stereo for about 50 to 75 $.
Any recomendations?
>>
>>17526512
Ive already learned how to drive manual with a merc w123
>>
>>17502279
what's /o/'s opinion on the e92 325i coupe?
>2.5l l6 engine
>218hp RWD
>BMW coupe with actual aesthetic looks

I'm considering between this and a toyobaru. The BMW has actually useable backseats but I feel the toyobaru is an overall better car for mountain and twisty road driving and an overall better and more engaging driving experience.

what do you guys think?
>>
3.4l v6 camaro

just changed belt
drove it around for a few days
next day, it just tosses the belt off like it was nothing, and I had to limp it home before it overheated
>>
How can I tell if a used car is going to run by looking under the hood?
>>
>>17527762
Tell the one with the key to turn it over after you check the oil.
>>
File: 1468292270377.jpg (74KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1468292270377.jpg
74KB, 720x720px
How exactly do I drive in sport mode? Driving a 2008 AT impreza. At what rpm/ speed do I up or down shift?
>>
>>17527762
>How can I tell if a used car is going to run by looking under the hood?

Is the coolant the color that coolant should be?

Is the oil on the dipstick the color that oil should be or is there coolant mixed in with it?

Take your smartphone on a selfie stick and look underneath the back of the engine and other places. There should be no oil leaks. The oil filter should not have leaks. The oil drain plug should not have a stripped head or be leaking.

Any servicing mentioned on the VIN report from any of the auto database services such as carfax (and others) should match what is under the hood. If not, then you know the carfax is incomplete which is useful to know as to how far you can trust it.
>>
First time car buyer here. I was looking through Craigslist and I see some cars in my price range and the cars look good. Then I go on KBB and see the price is 50% higher than the KBB value.

Do they honestly expect me to pay $3000 for a $2000 car? I know they're raising the price on purpose, but holy damn. If I go see a car, should I just say "I'm only paying KBB value, not a penny more?"
>>
What exactly is HP and torque and what do they do
>>
>>17514333
Long story short, traditional cams only provide the best power in a certain rev range, vvt allows for a broader power band, the reason you may not be feeling is because your vvt maybe tuned for economy.
>>
>>17525856
Dual mass or single mass flywheel? If single mass was it supposed to be dual from the factory?
>>
>>17528016
People on Craigslist put prices higher than they actually want to sell the car for because many people car shopping on Craigslist are the lowballing/negotiating type.

If you want to get $5k for a car, list it for $7k. That way the customer thinks he's beaten you for a couple grand when you tell him you can come down to $5k but it's how much you really wanted all along.
>>
File: 521651.png (707KB, 1066x712px) Image search: [Google]
521651.png
707KB, 1066x712px
>>17528056
So this guy wants $2700 but the KBB is only like $1800. That's the standard practice?
>>
>>17528137
Pretty much. Sometimes people will just want too much, sentimental value, the Boomer effect, etc, but the prices are almost always negotiable. Last time I bought a car on Craigslist the list price was $3000 but we agreed on $2200
>>
>>17528137
How are you this sheltered and retarded? That's standard practice for every fucking transaction for every fucking good or service purchased in the world. Do you live in some dark basement 24/7 with your only social interaction being with your mom or something?

I know it's a stupid question thread or whatever but holy fuck these terms have their limits.
>>
>>17528171
So you haggle with the Walmart employees to get your Snickers bars 20% cheaper?

When you go to McDonald's you argue over the price of the Big Mac?

You must be a fucking nightmare to deal with, god bless those poor souls unfortunate enough to deal with you, including the people on here.
>>
>>17527781
Whatever speed that doesn't lug the engine.

If you want to shift your gears should have bought a manual anyways.
>>
>>17527111
Get a 335i or don't bother.
>>
>>17527311
A pulley is fucked or your tensioner is too loose
>>
>>17528191
Use your head dipshit. You think higher up the chain walmart and mcdicks don't use their leverage to negotiate prices? Not everything revolves around you and only you.
>>
>>17528191
If you don't haggling then don't faggot, the rest of us won't be obtuse and pay for shit cheaper.
>>
File: angry.webm (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
angry.webm
2MB, 1280x720px
>>17528238
>>17528239
The question wasn't "should I pay less?" The question was "should I pay this much less?"

Anon was merely shocked at how much higher the price was. You two dipshits should realize this is probably an 18 year old that never bought a car before. All that anger over a simple question. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>17528254
It's not even anger. Like I said above I'm just fucking shocked that someone with a probable 18 year old brain doesn't know the one of the most simple and fundamental aspects to a functioning society. It's pathetic even by these threads' standards.
>>
>>17528236
the belt I replaced would squeal, but only if I was running the air conditioner.

I had the AC on with this belt, no squealing, and the belt just popped off as I was braking normally approaching a stop sign.
>>
>>17528269
So help educate and make the world a better place instead of being an emotional dipshit.
>>
File: googly.jpg (26KB, 452x342px) Image search: [Google]
googly.jpg
26KB, 452x342px
>>17525904
>If reduced fuel flow/pressure can cause a EGR CEL, then that was your issue.
>Idle didn't change
>acceleration changed only slightly above 4kRPMs
>CEL is thrown around 2-3kRPMs during steady highway driving
>mileage is at EPA estimate
I doubt it was fuel flow or pressure since i would have had other symptoms like rough idle and poor MPGs, correct?

>removed old filter
>OE
>vehicle has not seen a dealership in 14 years
>fuel in is on bottom, fuel out is on top
>turned upside down to drain gas out the "out"
>literally black
>pour onto blacktop
>stains it
>stain is still there 2 weeks later
this is why i'm leaning towards fuel contamination but also it was the only thing noticeably wrong
>>
>>17528294
I'd rather just ridicule you for being a perma-stunted babby Endless spoonfeeding with no means to an end really does nothing for me.
>>
>>17526519
can't go wrong with pioneer
>looking at a cheap $25 single din myself
>>
>>17528277
I would bet your tensioner is the problem, but I would check for play or drag in your pulleys before replacing the tensioner
>>
>>17528317
>I'd rather just ridicule you
>I don't know that I'm communicating with a different person
>I'm showing my ignorance and delusion after being all butthurt about ignorance
Nice; stay classy.
>>
>>17528230
so what you're saying is, the toyobaru really is a better car than the 325i.
damn, I love them both but I was considering the 325i for that backseat space. but that's about it. thanks anon.
>>
I'm going to put a Holley Blue on my car. I know they fill by gravity so I was thinking of adding a fuel sump to my tank.

Someone offered me an 8 gallon fuel cell for free. Question is do I add the sump and spend more work or do I just get the free fuel cell? It's a matter of 18 gallons vs 8 gallons.

I drive a 5.7 litre with 3 speed auto so gas is kind of a concern, but realistically I'm only driving about 2 or 3 miles a day.
>>
>>17528413
Just put a similar pump on to fuel a big block, and it didn't give us any trouble pretty much mounted as low as we could get it on the frame rail, but not entirely below the tank.

Works just fine.
>>
Non-native speaker here so I don't know the exact phrase, but I've always been told that it's good for an engine to be driven hard from time to time. Something about if you only drive it carefully the engine will gunk/soot up. Is there any truth to this or is it just a myth? Is it true for older cars? Not really a car guy, I just got to thinking about it earlier randomly.

Thanks
>>
>>17528554
it is true. if you drive your car like an absolute normie turbo-faggot than of course it's gonna literally kill itself.
No car wants to have that life. You're meant to ride a car hard. Really get in there and make it moan, make it feel alive.

Remember to gently carress the bonnet after you're done and tell her what a good girl she's been that evening.
>>
File: Local Prius C.jpg (170KB, 960x716px) Image search: [Google]
Local Prius C.jpg
170KB, 960x716px
>>17528573
Notice me senpai ;~;
>>
>>17528573
Different anon but is there a mechanical reason for it?
Is it like a "use it or lose it" sort of deal or are there other elements here?
>>
>>17528702
maybe a mechanic can explain it better to you but I can try and explain it:

there are many different parts in a car and especially in an engine and those parts have certain tolerances.
they're basically built for you to abuse them and they will give out eventually.

that's why you have a redline. if they only wanted you to cruise at fucking 1000 or 2000 rpm they would've put the redline there and seal the rest of the engine off. they don't though. an engine is meant to be used and even redlined occasionally. something about the components and temperatures and something along those lines. like when you break in an engine, you're supposed to vary rpms and go from low to high and etc.

this drive it hard thing is especially relevant to diesel engines I believe due to carbon buildup. you have to drive the car hard every now and then to get rid of that carbon build up or it will fuck up your shit. so instead of taking it to the shop and having to pay shitloads of money, you're better off redlining it every couple months or so.

I'm sure I'm not making much sense and I'm hoping another anon with more technical knowledge can explain it with the proper terms, but yeah
>tl;dr drive your car, your components are built to sustain abuse. they will break down eventually no matter how much you granny your car, you're not saving anything by driving at 1000rpm, you're actually making it worse for some engines because you're lugging them (especially turbo engines)
>>
Went to crank my 91 Acura Legend this weekend and couldn't get it to start.Started sounded good as far as I can tell, no clicking or grinding.

I hadn't driven it in a couple of weeks but that hasn't been a problem before. Tried to start it again with no luck, popped the hood and found some corrosion on the around the positive post so I cleaned that up. Tried to start it with the same result. Oil levels are good.

Checked the voltage, it was around 12.2, I figured that might have been caused by trying to crank it several times. No voltage drop on either post.

Took it in and let it charge overnight with a float charger (I know, not what it's for) and got it back upto 12.4. No luck cranking, here's the sound from the engine bay when I try to start it.

https://youtu.be/L2gXlhZtEpA

To me the starter sounds like it's try to turn the engine over, but I'm not sure. I'd rather not have to replace the battery to find out the starter is the problem.
>>
Should I buy a new catalytic converter or str8 pipe it? Current one is fuckered and I'm not too keen on buying a new one, no emissions testing in my state.
>>
>>17529070
Are you planning to resell it soon? No? Then cut the cat.
>>
>>17528223
If I could have found a manual 08 impreza with <60k miles for 8 grand I would have bought it, but I'm happy with this one. Thanks for the reply!
>>
>>17525483
Its Shit, all of it is Shit.
>>
>>17528554
Its the truth, they're called Italian tune ups.

The jest of it is that if car isn't run hot enough, to burn off deposits in the combustion chamber, it'll build up. More Gas+air = Bigger Explosion = More heat
>>
File: 1497464293045.jpg (50KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1497464293045.jpg
50KB, 960x960px
tl;dr: Can I drive a few hundred miles on brand new tires with out of alignment car without an significant wear on the new tires?

I'm going on a road trip tomorrow with my family and we're going in my mom's car. I went and put all brand new tires on and that killed off $500. The car pulls to the right and obviously needs aligned. We don't have any more money to spend before the trip though. Is it safe to drive a few hundred miles back and forth without an alignment? I'm going to tell her to get it aligned when we get back and have money to spend, but we can't before then. Also at this time of day there aren't many shops open and we don't have time in the morning.
>>
Why so some cars have a rev limiter in neutral before the actual engine red lines? I revved my engine in neutral and it bounced off a limiter at 4.5k but it red lines at 7.5k
>>
So I think I've come up for a method of dealing with tailgaters but I'm not sure it's legal.

I want to install something like an array of high intensity LEDs in the back windshield of my car or maybe even a xenon arc lamp and switch them on and off at like 15-20Hz via an IGBT or something to create a stobe effect. This should disorient the driver behind me and cause them to back off.

Might need some extra lead acid batteries in the trunk for the arc lamp and I'm not sure how fast they can be switched but it might be doable. If not there's LEDs. Also not sure how it'll perform in daytime but it should be great at night.
>>
>>17529274
I'm 99% certain this is a deadly weapon in Britain.
>>
Any chance of breaking into a local racing scene for less than 5k?
>>
Is the 25th anniversary Lamborghini Countach worth $250,000? It's my dream car but I don't want to just burn money.
>>
File: IMG_7944.jpg (367KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7944.jpg
367KB, 720x1280px
How do I make this more aesthetic? Tint? Rims? Can't be spending too much :(
>>
>>17529583
sell it and from the money you get buy yourself a real car.
>>
>>17529193
should be fine, just rotate them after trip
>>
File: file.png (2MB, 1066x800px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1066x800px
Of course this isn't how Mitsubishi did it, but apparently Toyota did make AWD cars back in the 80s (Corolla, Camry, and Tercel) and only for the 80s. Of these, the Camry has the largest possible engine, a 2.5L V6. So I was wondering, would adding a turbo effectively make this a "Camry Evo"? I know Evos (and WRXs) have custom, improved suspension as well and their engines are built to handle higher boost pressures, but let's say those issues have been addressed.
>>
>>17529201
revving that high in neutral usually indicated that the driver is trying to launch, depending on the car, launching higher than 4.5k rpms usually just gets you a burnt clutch with no added acceleration benefit.

>>17529193
you'll be ok, just like the other anon said, rotates as soon as you can after your trip.

>>17528851
check fuel pressure first. does it help if you press on the throttle while cranking? have you checked your spark plugs? I didn't hear a faint wirrrr of the fuel pump in your video either. check fuel, then spark, air isn't that important unless its running shitty. but with fuel and a spark you can usually get it to sputter at least.

>>17529583
Rims are kinda pricey, even knock offs like JNC or XXR are at least 400-500 for a set of 4. I would take the rims off the car and paint them like an enamel gloss black and shine the tires up (painted my rims the same way using some cans of paint from home depot and they look great). A window tint and maybe some aftermarket black housing headlights, put some led's in there etc. I would also do a chrisfix style clean up of the paint and the car will really shine.

Now for my question. My 02 wrx overheats on 90+ F days. Easy cruising on flat, or slight hills is fine, but going over big 6% grades just cause it to overheat. I'm watching the water temp number with my scanner, and my car starts to overflow from the overflow bottle when the water temp hits 217-225F. I have a huge mishimoto radiator and the fan shroud, new hoses including for the turbo, new water pump, new thermostat and I did that exhaust gas in coolant tester that Scotty showed me and I'm 95% sure that it isnt a headgasket. It dawned on me that coolant isnt supposed to overflow until like 240F, could my problem be with the mishimoto radiator cap? Everyone who i've spoken with today says while the radiators are good, the caps are garbage. But before I buy 2 new caps from the radiator, does anyone else think it could be the radiator cap?
>>
>>17530334
Look up forums comparing the Mitsubishi GS-X vs same year Evo's. Supposedly there's a shitload of differences that I cant recall at the moment. The AWD systems are completely different, I suspect the camry has a FWD bias towards its awd.
Thread posts: 329
Thread images: 48

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.