[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do i stop freaking out when i'm driving?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1371888114597.jpg (17KB, 355x260px) Image search: [Google]
1371888114597.jpg
17KB, 355x260px
I'm 19 and iv'e learning how to drive the past 6 months.
My parents have been teaching me.

I can drive pretty good if i'm just driving around town but if i'm put into a stressful situation i completely freak out. I swear and yell at my parents and i can't hear myself think when i'm put into a new or stressful situation. I haven't gotten into a accident yet but there have been a couple of close calls.

How do i calm down while driving?
Is it all a matter of practice?
How much driving did you do to completely feel confident while driving?
>>
>>17501804
Solution: learn to drive at 16.
>I swear and yell at my parents
B8
>>
>>17501804
>How do i calm down while driving?
Drive more, if that doesn't help you probably shouldnt be driving

>Is it all a matter of practice?
yes

>How much driving did you do to completely feel confident while driving?
20 minutes
>>
Don't be such a pussy. I don't even own a car and I drive an ambulance for work.
>>
>>17501804

Yes, brains have something to do with it too, some people learn much more quickly and/or just have the temperament to always remain calm
>>
>>17501845
The weird thing is that i'm always pretty calm but there's just something about driving that just awakes this primal urge in me to freak out. It might be a flight or fight type of thing.
>>
drink a few beers before you drive to relax your self .
>>
>>17501804
Lucky I have the opposite. My dad keeps screaming at me no matter what I do, but he's the only one who'll let me drive and I'm too poor to afford driving lessons.
>>
>>17501886
do this
>>
>>17501804
If you are still freaking out at 6 months, give it up. Everybody gets over that in a week.

You know that retarded kid you had to put up with in elementary school. The kid that was off in la-la land but was forced to be in your classes for the sake of diversity or some bullshit. That putting up with the retard situation is going to be everybody else trying to deal with you on the road.
>>
>>17501804
Get to know your car. Take it to a empty parking and begin to learn its limits. Learn the signs it gives when its losing traction etc. Just hoon it for a while and get comfortable in it, so when a scary thing happens you'll know how to react.
>>
>>17501804

>How do I calm down while driving?

Silence your mind, focus. Ignore any thoughts and internal monologue.

Yes, but anxiety is also a matter of understanding your own mind and knowing how to control your inner impulses. AKA meditation.

>How much driving did you do to completely feel confident while driving?

I have never been scared about driving, but I grew up riding on cars and I've always been a bit aloof and detached.
>>
>>17501881

Try meditating before hand, just close your eyes and focus on nothing intently. As soon as your attention starts to drift away or a thought comes up into your mind, ignore it and re-focus your attention.

It helps a lot.
>>
>meditating
>I got over it in 3.7 seconds
>give up

Fuck this shit, OP. It just takes time, man. I was the same way and i just stopped worrying after a while. There's still stressful situations that get my heart beating but not as much.

When I first started and had about as much experience as you I remember trying to change lanes and someone was in my blind spot. He honked and I swerved back and I had to pull over just because I was freaking out so much.

But just the other day I was almost rammed off the road and my friend was screaming in the passenger side while I just swerved a bit. Didn't even care.
>>
>>17501804
Kill yourself. You should never drive.
>>
crank the eurobeat louder
>>
>>17503971
>>17501804

What the fuck is so scary about driving a fucking car? I've driven a 90cc ATV on national roads where fucking lorry trucks fly by without an issue.
>>
You need a new teacher. Plain and simple, if you have been driving for half a year and still can't do it right you need to go to a legitimate driving school.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.