[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mystery electrical problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 20170403_090521.jpg (887KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170403_090521.jpg
887KB, 2560x1536px
Hey guys I have an 03 Focus wirh the 2.3 Duratec and A/T. Electricals have been kinda screwy. Hesitates to cold start, some shit is just fried, occasionally warning lights flicker and then disappear.

So today I was reversing out of a parking spot where it sat for ~6-7 hours. It started fine but stalled out during reverse. Then it didn't want to start at all. Dash lights were visible so it had a little power, but not enough to crank. Only other thing is that it was really low on gas.

Anyway a good Samaritan gave me a jump. Ran fine after that. Drove to a Meineke where they did a battery, alternator and starter motor test. It passed all perfectly and there were no visible problems other than idiot light for low gasoline.

What's going on? I'm thinking either a shirt somewhere, maybe the battery is fucked even if it passed the test on the scanner. A/T? ECM fried? Is this a common problem with Fords from early 2000s?
>>
>>17488949
Well it's old. What do you expect?
Try replacing the battery because that's at least cheap.
>>
>>17488949
If youre cars low on gas its going to struggle to start also
Could also be your fuel pump
>>
A ford with electrical problems
Bahahahahahahahahhqhahwhwahhwhahwhahwhhwwhhahehehdbfjfjjenddjjdhuehuhehuhehehhdekekek
>>
>>17489373
I thought about that but wouldn't it still crank after starting? It didn't crank at all then ran fine after a jump. I certainly hope it's not the fuel system.
>>
>>17489384
Yeah laugh all you want but I'm stuck with it for the foreseeable future. Really other than these electrical gremlins it's pretty nice.
>>
definitely sounds like multiple electrical things are fucked start simple check fuses and relays
>>
Intermittent starts sounds like a poor connection. Check the cables and connections around the battery, alternator, starter, and the plug wires/coils. Take them off and clean them, make sure they're tight.

It does sound electrical, but changing the fuel filter and checking the fuel pump can't hurt. I'd also pull one or more spark plugs, the air filter, and check all fuses and relays to see what they look like.
>>
>>17489433
I can't really afford to replace the fuel pump. That's a pretty expensive hunch. What fuses and relays should I check?What does a good vs. bad one look like?
>>
>>17489477
I just said check it, not change it. You can check it (if the fuse is good) by turning the key to on (engine off) and listening for the fuel pump to prime the injectors. Should be a muffled whirring or clicking.

A bad fuse will have the little bit of wire in the middle split, and some burn marks may accompany it. A relay should click when it's activated, like a turn signal. There will be a guide on the lid of both fuse boxes, check anything related to fuel, spark, engine, starting, etc. If Ford was nice, they will have given you a fuse puller in one on the fuse panels, but if they didn't you can use a pair of needlenose pliers gently.
>>
>>17489526
Sounds good. Will do. Are relays like fuses? Would they also typically be located in the fuse box?
>>
File: open-uri20140226-13178-ewwyjh.jpg (39KB, 490x368px) Image search: [Google]
open-uri20140226-13178-ewwyjh.jpg
39KB, 490x368px
>>17489579
Typically, yes they will be in the underhood fuse box. Most look like this but some are assorted colors and shapes, might have a clear top. Generally, they're just a plastic box with pins sticking out from the bottom.

The easiest one to listen for so you know what they sound like will be the A/C relay, have someone turn on your A/C while you listen by the fuse box, it should click. Don't confuse it with the A/C compressor clutch engaging though.

If one does turn out bad, it'll be easier to go to a junkyard and grab an OEM one from another car just like it. I'd grab everything out of its fuse box so you have some high quality spares.
>>
>>17489622
Sounds good. I'll try it when I get home from work.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.