[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Serious question - how do I convert a RWD car to a FWD? Yes it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: front-wd-or-rear-wd1.jpg (99KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
front-wd-or-rear-wd1.jpg
99KB, 400x600px
Serious question - how do I convert a RWD car to a FWD? Yes it's stupid but I want to know. Do you just take the whole front end frame of a FWD car with the mounts for the CV axles and weld it to the RWD car's front?
>>
>>17466921
you can't. it's impossible.
>>
>>17466921
Lot of fabricating. Lot of chopping and welding. And whatever you end up with will be shit
>>
>>17467009
With enough money any mod is possible.
>>
>>17466921
It'd be easier to do the opposite, convert an FWD car to RWD
>>
How hard/retarded would converting RWD to AWD be?
>>
File: moog-moog-513282-large-2.jpg (38KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
moog-moog-513282-large-2.jpg
38KB, 600x450px
>>17467042
Depends on what you start with. The 5th gen Camaro's front hubs are splined like it was designed for an AWD setup, but you'd have to figure out a transmission setup since the engine is almost entirely behind the front axle.
>>
>>17467021
Why would it be shit? FWD has advantages
>>
>>17467025
I've always kinda wondered how hard it would be to take a transverse FF shitbox and convert it to rear (mid?) engine RWD.

beyond structural issues (platform unique, though probably pretty common across the board) I can really only think of a few real problems:

>transmission linkage
>cooling
>suspension because radical change in weight distribution.
> ~9001 small problems that would eventually leave the project collecting rust.
>>
>>17466921
>Do you just take the whole front end frame of a FWD car with the mounts for the CV axles and weld it to the RWD car's front?
yes
>>
>>17467650
Saw a build log of a guy converting a 4th or 5th gen GTI to READ a while back. Looked pretty well done.
>>
>>17467834
RWD not READ, sorry.
>>
>>17467834
It should be fairly simple considering there's AWD Golfs and the required parts already exist.
>>
>>17467834
Neat!

In a lot of ways the principle is solid but you don't really see people doing it very often which makes me think there's probably something I'm failing to consider.
>>
>>17467594
no it doesn't

its only advantageous to manufacturers because its cheaper
>>
>>17467594
Only gay advantages like fuel economy and no oversteer.
>>
>>17467650
https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/gemini-project-mid-engine-rwd-h22-turbo-del-sol-1266033/
>>
>>17468115
All that... For that?
That's insanity
>>
>>17468137
2 E N G I N E S
E
N
G
I
N
E
S
>>
Turn the seats around.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.