[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Low Idle and Stalling

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: trigger.jpg (13KB, 172x200px) Image search: [Google]
trigger.jpg
13KB, 172x200px
Have a bit of new information about my stalling problem and wanted you guys input if you would.
Car idles at 500rpm and stalls occasionally when coming to a stop. Usually will not start unless the battery is disconnected or foot is held on the gas while cranking.
One time it lit up more lights than usual and I was across the street from an autozone.
Had a p1128 and p0430.
My personal mech and I are having a hard time helping to diagnose this.
Any thoughts are appreciated. Considering putting a TB from the junkyard to test it.
2002 camry
>>
When that happened to me, it was a stuck EGR valve.
>>
>>17461079
did you car idle low. Ive been reading that a stuck egr valve causes rough idle.
>>
>>17461002
Google those codes, anon. That'll at least tell you what the ECU is bitching about. May not solve the problem, but at least it'll make the ECU go back to its corner and sulk.

As far as diagnosing it, plug in a scan tool and start looking at the data. Fuel trims, etc.
>>
>>17461173
ones is the cat and the other is the throttle motor. I dont really have any symptoms of a bad cat which leads my mech to think its an oxygen sensor problem. But Ive read that an o2 sensor wouldnt cause the no start issue.
Though since it only doesnt start immediately after it stalls it could all be related.
>>
>>17461266
Low idle is symptomatic of a plugged cat.
>>
>>17461289
A clogged cat, if you got one of those infrared thermometers is easy to diagnose, measure the temp before it goes into the cat and measure the temp after. If the after temp takes a while to warm up, your cat is probably clogged.

I hear scotty kilmer has some wacky ideas about how to unclog a cat. Otherwise, you're replacing it or (ahem) welding in a straight pipe.
>>
>>17461266
The TPS sensor can be handled by the parts cannon if you feel lucky. Might want to verify it is actually the sensor that has gone bad before firing away though.
>>
before my car started stalling it was having trouble starting. Would start and die. Had the throttle body cleaned and put a new tps on it.
>>
>>17461289
>>17461319
the thing Ive been told from a few people is that it should have a bad smell and a few other issues before its severe enough to cause stalling.
>>
>>17461126
Was definitely a rough, oscillating idle on my shitbox. So probably not related, now that you mention it.
>>
>>17461466
Plugged EGR guy again. Had a plugged cat a year later. No symptoms other than somewhat sluggish acceleration, and then the EGR hoses catching fire. Free EGR delete.
>>
>>17461388
I guess I should note that my car started dying immediately after I had my spark plugs changed. Could a bad gap be related.
>>
>>17461891
Here's the thing about an old car - you touch one thing, and something else completely unrelated can break, just because all the parts are old and just moving them around can sometimes break them, if they're on the edge.
>>
>>17461912
yeah thats why I never really considered that the issue. but as Im reading it seems like a million things can cause the issue Im having, spark plugs being 1.
>>
I suppose I should also use this thread to ask, autozone told me an oxygen sensor would cost $160. Are these things interchangeable and are there cheaper options. Im not quite sure how many sensors I have on my car.
>>
What a clogged cat looks like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlkO235cC0U>>17462012
>>
>>17461266
Does it only do it after the car has warmed up?
>>
>>17462153
Its never stalled on me immediately after driving. Maybe after 5 minutes of driving once. The idle only drops after it sits in drive usually.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.