[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a 1984 GMC Sierra C1500 with a 6.2L diesel engine and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1495574338094.jpg (13KB, 280x373px) Image search: [Google]
1495574338094.jpg
13KB, 280x373px
I have a 1984 GMC Sierra C1500 with a 6.2L diesel engine and I'm looking to tow an RV trailer. The salesman said he didnt want to sell me a trailer until he knew how much weight my truck would take. I can't seem to find the towing capacity of the truck anywhere as the sticker is now gone. Is there way to find out what the towing capacity of my truck is? Is there a place I can plug in my VIN and get the specs I need to know?

TL;DR
how much trailer can I tow with a 1984 GMC Sierra C1500
>>
>>17456954
Probably like 4 or 5 thousand lbs
>>
>>17456961
I figured I'd be safe with a 5000LB trailer with a weight distributing hitch. I would prefer to get solid numbers, it looks like my permanent living space is going to be a little cramped.
>>
>>17456954
Go to a dealership that knows something about trucks and trailers.
>>
File: 135.png (124KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
135.png
124KB, 680x680px
5,000lbs max, considering the absolute SHIT TIER brakes GM used in the '80s.

Anything more and you're going to be plowing through the cars in front of you at stop lights.

Plus your frame is partially rotted at this point, best not to stress it and tear your truck in half.
>>
>>17457063
I did find a used 5000LB trailer that comes with a weight distributing hitch. The frame does have a black coating on it and LOOKS like its in relatively good shape. I'm towing this once and the trailer will be dry on tow. Armed with this knowledge I think I'll be safe towing a 5000LB trailer 50 miles. I also had my 700R4 beefed up on my rebuild so I'll be good there. Only thing that worries me is cooling but I am on the verge of being homeless so I think towing in the evening and taking it slow and off highways will keep my truck satisfied.
>>
>>17457082
>on the verge of being homeless
you need to liquidate, not accumulate
>>
>>17457091
I am not on the verge of being homeless due to my financial situation, I have a well paying job. I am tired of my room mates and I found a spot in the country where I can park my trailer on family property.
>>
I've towed with 1980s GMs but prefer the C-20 and C-30s for better brakes.

If your truck squats excessively you can use spring packs from heavier trucks. Expect to buy replacement U-bolts because rust, but longer aftermarket U-bolts are reasonable.

Now do yourself a favor and visit real Chevrolet truck forums. Nobody who posts on /o/ besides me knows the rest of the internet exists, but Chevrolet truck info is extremely common.

Smaller trailers are better and if you live in one you can do shit like sleep in a hammock for superb comfort and to free up storage space.

This is a veryfuckinguseful site for that era GM trucks.

http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/

Decently useful:

http://www.gmfullsize.com/forums/classic-gm.61/
>>
I'd also say probably right at 5K. The biggest factor will be brakes, especially if that diesel isn't factory, since they usually weigh a few thousand more then a gas engine and will take away from brake capacity.

I'd also say a brake controller would be handy as well, that way you can at least use the trailer to slow you down more then the truck.
>>
>>17457116
thanks for the heads up man
This is the kind of stuff I like to find for old trucks
I'm redoing my brakes tomorrow morning and I'm picking up a brake controller as >>17457181 suggested.
Thank you /o/ you have been very helpful
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.